Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Tlazolteotl

It is the lady of midnight and she has arrived! She of Two Faces, She Who Eats Filth, the Death Caused by Lust – Tlazolteotl – is the Aztec goddess of the regenerative function of the earth, human sexuality, and fertility. She represents the active female principle in the eternal cycle of life feeding death and death feeding life. Her arms, dressed in flayed skins, embrace mirrored principles of sin and purification: she inspires lust, depravity, overindulgence, vice, lechery, and licentiousness, and is also empowered to cleanse and forgive moral, spiritual, and fleshly sins. Her scent is a melding of her symbols and offerings: chapapote and black copal with cacao, black honey, maize, and cotton blossoms.

I found this imp at the bottom of my Yule bottle box and had never tried it, so decided to give myself a good slather before my shower this morning.

What a lovely scent on my skin! It smells like a very dusty incense from the copal, the cacao isn't foody but gives it almost a patchouli vibe, and the cotton blossom keeps the vetiver in check. This is a smokier, darker version of Nasty Woman on my skin. Fitting for the goddess it represents. This is a bottle worthy blend for me!

I received an imp as a goodie from a forum member from whom I made a purchase. I was almost going to skip it, expecting that the notes would not work on me. Honey is usually overwhelmingly sweet and almost none of the chocolate scents have worked. Boy am I glad I gave it a shot! This is one of the most interesting blends I have tried. As many have mentioned, it morphs constantly from application to dry down. I felt like it was a different scent each time I inhaled. Once it settled it was this lovely not-foodie, not-floral, kind of resin-y mix. I can’t pick out one particular note, it is so wonderfully balanced. I think the cacao give it a deep, grounding element. At one point the cotton blossom came to the fore, but then backed off to coexist beautifully with everything else. I know this isn’t a terribly precise review, but I’ll just say everyone should give Tlazolteotl a try. It is a sophisticated, gorgeous blend!

I get a sense impression of a black jewel. A faceted black onyx but clearer, with a light within it.

At first it has an acrid, fume-y note. Chapapote means ashphalt and I guess this is it. I thought it might be too harsh/masculine but now I love it.

The maize and cacao are a bit like patchouli but this doesn't misbehave on my skin. The cotton flower is a light white floral scent over the top giving me that sense of a light inside the darkness. 

It starts out similar to a sophisticated Oriental type scent. It dries down softer and sweeter as the honey comes out more. On me this is not a long lasting scent. 

Edited by Myrrha

I think that the imp of this I have is very aged since it was a little separated, but I shook the bajeezus out of it before trying it on.  Or maybe it's just like that.  I don't know.  I was too intrigued by the prospect of a perfume containing a corn note to pass this one up.

In vial and initial application, this smells a lot like Brimstone.  It has that ashen, burnt sort of smell.  The corn joins in not long after.  It's not a sweet corn, but a savory one that reminds me of tamales.  It's extremely edible smelling.  What I assume is the cotton blossom adds a clean, breezy scent after it dries with the extremely edible corn still lingering in the background mingling with lightly sweet, resinous copal.

Without reading the list of notes, I wouldn't have guessed that honey or cacao were in this.

I don't know how often I'll wear this, but it's worth trying in my opinion.  Very unusual but not unpleasant.

Tlazolteotl

In the bottle: chocolatey and… floral? Hard to pin down.

Wet: the chocolate is still there, and is very rich on my skin, with a more distinct floral note that I can’t pin down. A little earthy starchy note is coming through, which I suppose is the maize.

Dry: An interesting, complex sweet/fresh scent. All the notes blend together so well that I can’t really pick anything out on its own. It’s sweet and reminds me of eating tasty things, but it doesn’t have the strong sugary forcefulness that most gourmand perfumes have. It’s subtle and quiet, and there’s a clear freshness to it reminiscent of clean laundry, but not as forceful and sharp as ozonic/airy/laundry fragrances tend to be, either. Others have called this a sophisticated scent, and I agree. It’s intriguing, complex, and pleasant without being overwhelming or one-note.

After 30 minutes: After some time on my skin, this one just becomes a fairly anonymous floral fragrance. It’s nice enough, but it loses all its unique complexity on me. Darn.

Wow. Smoked chocolate!

This is one of those blends with the dark brown oil separating in the bottle that you have to shake first in order to get a good gloop of the chocolate parts on our skin (and I love it).

I get hard-boiled leather. Would not be surprised if this were an Aztec warrior goddess, but it is not, so strange.

The smoke & leather breastplate mix mellows down pretty quickly and gives more of a spotlight to the smokey copal and the honey notes.

This is a moderately sweet but very resinous blend. I get more of a cocoa powder note than sweet dark or even milk chocolate. This is a chocolate you use in savory dishes, not the kind with cream and nuts you gobble down while reading a book.

The honey note doesn't stand out as honey, it works more as another sweetening agent if you will.

I have no idea how maize is supposed to smell, but I do get a lightness that reminds me of linen and sheets - I think the cotton blossom bring a soft freshness to this blend so it doesn't end up as a scorched pile of resins.

I tested this in an imp but am tempted to purchase a bottle just to slather it on and see how it smells then. I always find that some scents work differently when out of a bottle, and I might have gotten intrigued enough by chocolate scents lately to start a little collection (even though Boomslang, Boomslang v2, Hohensalzburg Fortress and The Black Temple Burlesque Troupe satisfy my varying needs already ... to a degree).

I think even if you have several chocolate blends, this one seems unique enough to try and keep alongside other favorites.

I initially smelled the cocoa and something fruity and slightly sour. It's also a bit dusty which I think comes from the cocoa as well. The fruity scent comes more forward when dry I think I misread the floral notes as fruit. 

Weird. It's not something I'd choose based on the notes and I don't think I'd reach for it often. 

I can't believe there are only two pages of reviews for this one. I had an imp of it and fell in love with the dark, chocolatey incense -- so complex and unique, on par with a Luper. So I bought a bottle. Perhaps it needs to age, or maybe it was not mixed properly, but it is lacking the depth of the aged imp. The cotton blossom registers as laundry musk, which is usually a death note for me, but here is tempered by the resinous copal. Chapapote translates as asphalt, and comes through as a tarry cement note. I wish the cocoa were stronger, like it was in my imp. I am not getting the honey at all. While my bottle experience was not quite up to my expectations, I still enjoyed wearing this scent, and I will give it another chance after it's aged. I'm hoping to recapture the magical experience I had when testing the imp -- I mean, just read the earlier reviews on this thread and you will get a sense of the complexity and poetry of this scent. It's more like a LE than a GC, and should be celebrated as such. 

I'm getting cherry vibes from this, though it's grittier than that. There's a green trampled layer of stuffs at the bottom, a sweet dark honey that really compliments the non-foodie, dark cocoa. Interesting and evocative, but not for me.

Wet: Wow, spicy, resinous, and intensely cocoa - nothing sweet, just smoky and earthy. It’s invigorating and complex.

Dry: This scent smooths out a lot. It’s still spicy, but the cocoa is much more understated. Resinous, rounded, and balanced - but not as unique as its wet scent.

Overall, I’m not sure I’ll often find myself in a mood to wear this, but it is a fascinating experience.

There's one note, which must be the cotton blossoms, that's a "clean laundry" scent and it absolutely overpowers everything else and sticks around too. I think most people would find it pleasant but I can't stand it. If I can find the imp again, I'll check if ageing has improved it, but I don't think this one is for me.

Sweet gentle incense, clean laundry, and vetiver. it smells like my older sisters house which makes lots of sense as she’s a clean freak with about a thousand wood-adjacent candles. I do find it a bit cocoa-ish after it’s dried down. I like it but not enough for a full bottle. 

This is mostly cotton blossoms. Still, it really feels like it's different scent each time I inhale. At the times I get something slightly smoky and then also hint of cocoa. But the cotton blossoms is the main note definitely. This is interesting and pretty pleasant, I really enjoy that clean laundry scent here. Not my favorite but still I like it and will happily keep the imp.

2024 imp. 

Tlazolteotl is very smoky and has a pitch black feel to it. I don't think that I would pick out the cocoa or maize at all if I didn't know that they were supposed to be in here. It smells like black musk, the rich and slightly earthy copal resin from El Dorado, and clean laundry have been set on fire and are giving off billowing clouds of harsh, gritty, black smoke. I love what is underneath the smoke, but the smoke itself is way too strong and suffocating to me.