Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kashmira

Hedylogos

Child of Aphrodite and Ares, Hedylogos is the God of Sweet Talk and Flattery. His gilded words are perfumed with honeyed rose and the quicksilver scent of mastic and olibanum.

Ah rose, how I love thee! In the bottle, I mostly detect rose with a small amount of sweetness. On my skin, it is all rose, all the time. I recognise this rose note from some other blends -- it seems to be of the Bulgarian rose variety, rather than the 'haughty rose' of Peacock Queen or 'fresh cut rose' of Rose Red. I don't detect much olibanum or honey, but past experience with these notes tells me I need to give this one a few months in the dark box for them to make their presence known.

Overall, this is a wonderful addition to the GC catalogue!

In the imp: Gorgeous rose sweetened by honey.

Wet on skin: Rose with a little extra sweetness.

Dried down: Still a beautiful rose, but I think the sweetness I'm getting now is more of the olibanum than the honey.

Throw: There is a little throw here, soft and sweet.

Verdict: **** I am loving this! Especially in comparison to the Wood Horse on my other wrist (that I want to wash off). This makes me happy. I just have to decide if I want a bottle. I'll have to compare it to Rose Cross.

Wet: I get a blast of sweet rose, not noticeably red or white, more like wild rose

Dry: As soon as this is dry I get powdery granny-scent rose which is a shame. The honey makes no appearance until a couple of hours later but the powder rose lingers on and on.

Mmmm this is very simply, a honeyed rose incense. As it settles into my skin, the honey note fades to the background while the pink, tea rose rose amps up. The final dry down is a smoldering rose. This is very similar to Othello to my nose, with a less aggressive rose that doesn't turn to soap on my skin. Beautiful!

Rose and church incense fans, you're going to love this one!

Edited by Monster

This is pretty close to the scent description and straight forward honeyed wild rose carried by the mastic-olibanum resin mix. The rose and honey seem a bit powdery-soft from the start because of the mastic and olibanum.

A variation of the rose incense theme that is rather bright (the mastic) and sweet (honey). The most spring-time rose incense I've smelled so far. Very nice.

This was a frimp, and I am so glad the labbies gave me this one!! I absolutely love it. It is a lovely, true rose that STAYS TRUE on me, which lots of rose scents don't--they usually end up smelling like slightly damp kleenex, and get washed off rather quickly :) This gorgeous rose is supported by resinous and sweet undertones that get stronger in the drydown.

So, wet, it is very single-note rose to me, then the rose fades slightly after a while and becomes balanced with a sweet incense, and what lingers is more like incense, with rose undertones. What a lovely experience!

Edited by gythja

Honeyed rose incense.

For all of your that love those rosey blends in Lupercalia updates, give this a whirl. It's a nice GC equivalent to some of those LEs.

Dry rose, a little soapy and powdery, with sweet resins. Well, I guess according to the scent description, there are resins, and then there is sweet honey. But I'm not getting a distinct honey note. Just general sweetness. Which is a bummer, because I love honey. A soft, pretty, understated rose scent, but does not really stand out for me.

Olibanum and rose, which find is a nice combination for me. It becomes a bit sour, but otherwise this is rose and resin goodness.

hm i definitely get rose and something soft and honey-ish though it doesn't seem like straight up honey. there is also something a bit sour here. depending on the blend, bpal's rose notes can go oddly sour on me and other times they are beautiful and make up some of my favorite scents. anyway, this is one of the more sour ones. unless it's one of the other notes causing this, but it doesn't seem like it to me. i get something almost herbal and piney?! not sure if that's the mastic, but i do seem to remember that scents with mastic don't seem to work for me. though i usually think of it as a sweeter note than this, but maybe i got notes mixed up somewhere, which happens with me, sorry. so yeah, oddly this is a slightly honeyed piney-rose on me. not really my cup of tea but always glad to try new scents, especially rose scents! :)

Whoever said wild rose earlier was spot on. This scent is a beautiful, more subtle rose floral, tempered against the coolness of the olibaum. It has a slight incense note, but to me it's wild roses mingled with a cool, soft olibaum base. I don't get honey on this--strange because my skin usually amps BPAL's honey note in an awful powder-y way, so yay!

I wanted to try this because with those notes, it might have worked? Maybe? Worth a shot, but no.

Definitely smells like a dry rose incense. If that's what you're looking for, look no further! But it isn't right for me.

In the imp: Almond and incense

Wet: Almond and faint, faint wood polish

Dry: Roses! I guess it morphed out of the wood polish because that's definitely gone now. I don't really get any honey out of it, just resinous rose.

Origin: Frimp in an order

Initial Thoughts: I had no memory of this scent being a thing and had to look it up to see if I had a discontinued or unreleased scent. But I also see rose, which is usually a reason not to buy a BPAL thanks to my skin chemistry.

In the Vial: Sharply tangy resins and rose.

Wet: Rose trying to do the green-stem thing but being reined in by lots of honey and resins.

Drydown: The resins and maybe the honey continue to keep the rose in check, though the whole is more airy springtime than before.

Verdict: Almost. The rose almost behaves. But not quite enough.

In the imp: I dunno about the oil itself, but it smells syrupy and heavy - mainly honey, but the olibanum and definitely the rose are also making themselves known. Right now, I'm thinking that it might be too heavy for a muggy summer day like this, but for a warming winter scent? YUM.

Wet: And there go my expectations! It's a delicious honeyed rose - my first thought was rose jam that does feel languid, but not too heavy for summer. There's just the faintest suggestion of incense hanging around in the background, which is just the way I like it. Srsly, this is one of those scents where I have to remind myself that BPAL is not for eating, no matter how much it may smell like it.

Dry: And again away with the expectations, albeit in a different direction this time. Instead of staying with the honeyed rose, it morphs into an incense-rose blend, which, as usual, goes sour on me. And I have a zillion rose-incense blends that go sour on me, so I really don't need another one. Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to prolong that yummy, unique wet stage, and avoid this entirely...

Mmm! This is the rose that I love in The Place Wherein Love Grew. It's very sweet, with a lemony note (that could be coming from the olibanum,) like some of my favorite red roses have when they're full-blown.

During the dry-down, I was sure that I smelled cumin! I didn't see anyone note that in their review, so I'm going to revisit another day, in case this was coming from me (we do love our cumin in refritos at my house.)

The incense isn't smokey to me, which is good, because my daughter is a major smoke-hater.

I'm not getting honey today, just sweet roses.

A total win! I'm happy I bought a bottle.

Update: I'm now confident that cumin is part of Hedylogos. And I love it.

Edited by Teamama

In the imp: Roses, with a hint of honey and something thick and syrupy.

Wet: More of the lush roses with a touch of honey - the oil is somewhat runny, and I ended up applying slightly more than I intended to.

On the drydown: Within the first minute or so, I was already fearing that this would be one of the roses that doesn't work well on me, and that impression turned out to be correct. You know when you're a little girl and you make "perfume" by mashing up flower petals and adding a tiny bit of water, and then your "perfume" sits there in the sun in the humid 90-something degree heat and starts to rot? My arms and wrists are covered in a stronger, thicker version of that smell. Overblown honey-touched roses starting to go off, with a hint of sour rot.

20 minutes in: O Rose, thou art sickening.

The unfortunate note,

that instigates sneezing

and tickles the throat:

has once again ruined

my BPAL joy:

as a lush, lovely blend

does its destroy.

The rotting flower petals have taken out an option on morphing into soapy green stems, and the combination makes me want to sneeze. At this point I gave up on my normal procedure of wearing whatever I'm testing for a full day and/or until it disappears on me, and washed Hedylogos off.

One more stuck off the list in my search for a GC rose blend I can wear.

I expected a rich, heavy, sweet rose with incense. This is a watery, perfumey, thin, sharp little rose on me, though. It has a sour, lemony sharpness to it. A little sweeter in the drydown, but still no incense, and this is far too sharp for my tastes. I think that Hedylogos is my all time least favorite of bpal's roses. I like rich, bold, sweeter roses.

This is a nice, slightly sweet, low-key rose - it reminds me a lot of the rose in Harlot. The resin notes add a nice background to it. It's soft and delicate without ever going into Full Soap Mode. I like this and can see myself reaching for this imp in the spring/summer.

Wet: Sweet, slightly resinous rose. Very nice. One of the nicest of the GC roses, I think, thus far.

Dry: Roses. Lots and lots of roses. Can't really pick anything else out. It's good! But I already have so much rose in my collection.

Imp: sigh. rose
Wet on Me: this rose is not playin around. it is here and not letting any of the notes play
Drying Down: The throw on this one is way too strong. All rose all the rosey time!
Dry: Hedy is right! heady bossy rose. getting right up in mah koolaid and demanding to be the flavor! Omgs MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to the trade pile with thee!

Oooh! A frimp! Honey and wild roses! Yes, kind of lemony and very fresh; some roses can be thick and heady or jammy...this is delicate and lovely. This is a much lighter rose incense scent than say, Spellbound, one of my all time favorite BPAL roses. It's pretty without being girly or silly...the honey adds depth and maturity...not too sweet. I really love it!

Honeyed rose all day long. It's a little sweet, but it's mostly a very heady rose. Roses aren't really to my taste, but that's a personal preference and not a reflection on the scent itself. It's actually really pretty, but I happen to prefer rose mixed into things than as a starring note.

Hedylogos starts off with a strong, sharp, tea rose sort of rose. The resins linger in the background, and it takes a few hours before the honey shows up on me. By that point, it is sweeter, but now the scent smells powdery. Even though it has gone powdery on me, I much prefer this phase of the scent, even though it has an odd, unexpected twist of cumin, which I see Teamama also got in her review.

I'm not really a fan of rose plus resins, and there are roses that I prefer over the variety in this blend, but I am glad that I got a chance to try this one in my quest to try the GC. :) 

Edited by doomsday_disco

Very pretty sweet Bulgarian rose. No soapiness on my skin, hooray! Very heady, with a strong throw, and is basically a single note rose on my skin. The resin keeps it from going sharp and the honey doesn't turn it to the mustiness that sometimes happens with my chemistry. This is a win for days that I feel like wearing pretty roses, without the dirt of Zombi nor the opium of Clermont. Lovely and not mentioned nearly enough by rose lovers!