Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nymph87

Recs for the prettiest scents

Hi all!

I haven't purchased any BPAL in years and I'm excited to jump back into it. I've searched the recommendations forum and I can't see a topic of this name (feel free to shove me in the right direction if there is and I've missed it!)

I am wondering what your recommendations are for the prettiest BPAL oils? Preferably nothing heady (migraine sufferer here) and nothing with Jasmine. And I don't do powdery scents either.

Look forward to hearing from y'all!

<3 the BPAL lover who's crawling out from under the covers!

I am no good at recommending anything floral, but have you seen the new and updated BPAL website? it is great and you can now search for oils with notes you like. Go to "directory" and you can find a massive list of notes, click on one and BOOM.... list of oils with said note!

Edited by Numanoid

I sure have! :-) I have searched musk and vanilla scents and compiled a list. But then I started looking at other scents which don't necessarily have those notes but still sound lovely and now I'm all confused!

I just had a look at the reviews and it does sound lovely! I'll add that to my list as well.

Edited by Nymph87

Titania and Maiden are both very pretty girly scents. Belle Epoque if you're interested in something not quite so floral.

Edited by Floria

Give a try on Queen Gertrude :wub2:

Imperial violet softened by wisteria and chrysanthemum, but edged with the regal iciness of delphinium.

I thought The Lilac Wood from the Last Unicorn collection was an absolutely lovely flowery-grassy scent that really smelled like, well, a lilac wood. Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds, Good, Elf, and The Lady of Shalott were all quite lovely to me, as well. And I think Love-in-Idleness is just gorgeous--I don't even know what it is, a soft, almost chocolatey but fresh flower that makes me think of pansies even if they don't really have a smell! Sea of Glass is also really pretty. Aizen-Myoo and Baobhan Sith are also pretty in a more fruit/fresh sort of way, in my opinion.

The recent LE Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending does have jasmine, but it doesn't stand out to my nose at all--it's a very sweet, very delicate but soft and warm floral sort of scent. Really really pretty, I thought.

I would say any of the Dawns, as long as you like rose. All of them are gorgeous. Dawn Mourning Victory smells like the inside of a florist's.

Marie, a violet scent, or The Raven which is violet/vanilla. Grief which has hyacinth, lovely and not common.

Eve! Apple blossom, rose, ylang ylang, and honey. A gorgeous sweet fruity-floral.

If you're looking more for past/recent LEs, Beautiful and Adored from the 2011 Yules is very pretty, too: "Rose musk, white gardenia, English pear, vanilla bean, red currant, and honey."

thanks for all the help guys, my list is growing and growing! How to cull I don't know! :eek: :eek:

There is no culling...clearly...

51, green, lovely, perfumey in the best way

I know! Some of these I've read the reviews of and they may not be me, so I've pulled them from the list. So far I have:

Black Moon 2013

Aziraphale (little bit undecided, worried it will be too dusty/powdery and give me a headache)

Mania

Neutral

Galvanic Goggles

TKO

The Last Unicorn

Eat Me (wee bit undecided)

Jareth (bit undecided, hoping it won't be too manly)

Liz

O

Pink Snowballs

Lyonesse

Almond Blossom

Skadi

Snow White

Schwarzer Mond (still deciding)

Lemon Scented Stickybat (thinking about this too)

Sea of Glass

Titania (probably get an imp of this one)

I do get migraines so can't do heady or powdery frags. Don't do overly aquatics or wood scents either.

I do get migraines so can't do heady or powdery frags. Don't do overly aquatics or wood scents either.

If you're not big on aquatics you might want to skip Sea of Glass. It's pretty much a straight up aquatic with nothing else going on (your mileage may vary, of course). Nearly all of my favorites tend to be "pretty" scents, and out of them I'd recommend Katharina (white musk and apricot with a touch of orange blossom).

Hmm, I got heavy heavy lilies from Sea of Glass, but I agree that there's an aquatic component. If aquatics don't work, I might be a bit wary of the Lab's snow note, I find it rather aquatic in some fragrances.

okay, I've placed my order and the lab officially own me. :joy: (unsure if I should be jumping for joy or not!!)

Bottles of:

• Black Moon 2013 - sounds different, have to try it
  • TKO - for obvious use!
  • Jareth - I love Dorian but he's usually a bit powdery on me. Hoping this will be less-so
  • Liz - Sounds purdy
  • Sachs - I don't normally do vanilla because every generic perfume I've smelt is vial. I am hoping the lab's vanilla will be much much nicer. I didn't do Snake Oil (went powdery on me) so hoping this will be better suited
  • O - the reviews make it sound divine
  • Lyonesse - Sounded purdy
  • Eat Me - normally not a food person, but the reviews make me feel like this will be a bit more perfumey than a plain ol' cake blend. Fingers and toes crossed!
  • Whitechapel - sounded like my kinda thang!
  • Pink Snowballs - I do like Snow White, but it was a little boring, hoping this won't be and hoping for it to be purdy too
  • Snow White - the reviews of this years Snow White sound more exciting than prior blends. Fingers crossed!
  • Go To Sleep, Darlings - well, I needed another bottle to get free postage and someone here recommended it.

Imps

• Mania - sounds yum but red musk can sometimes go powdery on me.
  • Titania - could be a wee bit floral, so imping it only
  • Neutral - I am sure I've tried this before but can't remember. Imping it in case it doesn't work for me
  • Galvanic Goggles - I do recall having this before and liking it but the reviews make it sound overly masculine. Need to try an imp before big bottle purchase
  • Sea of Glass - I know it's an aquatic but it sounds so beautiful… won't take the risk though!
  • Bathsheba - this one sounds like it could be too heady for me, but thought it was worth an imp
  • Morocco - totally not my usual thing but the reviews sound gorgeous, so an imp it is
  • Good - was a bit worried about the dryer sheets reviews, so only an imp for this baby too

Thanks everyone for your help… hopefully I've picked some good stuff in there!! :wub2:

Even though the list of notes may sound scary, I swear Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending is the prettiest thing you'll ever smell. It's too well blended to smell like particularly one thing, so everything pretty much plays nice. It's like walking through a butterfly garden in the fae realm while fresh honey is pulled from the flora by magic bees.

Even though the list of notes may sound scary, I swear Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending is the prettiest thing you'll ever smell. It's too well blended to smell like particularly one thing, so everything pretty much plays nice. It's like walking through a butterfly garden in the fae realm while fresh honey is pulled from the flora by magic bees.

Totally seconded! Everything about this is true to my experience. Perfect description, too. ;)