Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

For a very gothy Yule. Black licorice slurry with blackcurrant, black fig, and mulberries.

In bottle: Mulberry and black current dominant, richly juicy. The fig grounds it and the licorice gives it a bit of bite. This is deliciously designed, if you are looking for a dark berry blend. Wet: The current and mulberry differentiate more one the skin, but still work together beautifully. The berries are flatter and less juicy though still lovely. The fig lends it a gentle warmth. The licorice fades into the background. Dry: Fast fading. Mostly mulberry kissed with currant.

Of all the snowballs smelled wet, this one interested me most with its alluring top notes for a test:

Wet: This is what I would imagine purple snowballs would smell like, so I thought I grabbed the wrong bottle. Nope, black. Purple is much lighter when smelled next to it. Black snowballs is fruitier than I imagined for something that is supposed to be goth (I suppose this is tongue-in-cheek goth). This is more hot-topic & black eyeliner. The fruit is nice, but has an immature and slight falseness to it wet. Sort of grape-juice.

Dry: lighter fruit comes off and reveals a more mature fruit scent. Licorice comes up stronger along with a floral that I can't identity. The floral definitely takes this from hot-topic goth into something much more deep and complex.

Overall: if you can live with the grape-juice fast dry down, really very nice. Would probably layer very well with other scents like leather, vanilla, etc. Retains a fruit-forward note when dry unlike most fruity scents.

Update: Layered with Brusque Violet = fabulous

Edited by khemistry

Berries and slush! I don't get the licorice very much but that might be contributing to the sweetness. If aquatic notes turn to soap on you I'd be a little cautious. It starts heading in that direction on me, but it never becomes offensive. I can see the comparison to grape juice. I think it's the licorice's effect on the fruit.

Anyhow, sweet, pretty non-tart berries with a little snowy slurry. Sort of perfumy, but a simple pretty fruit perfume for a young person. This reminds me of eating frozen figs. I love this.

ITB: It smells like mulberry and currant slushie with the gentle warmness of ripe fig underneath.

Wet: The berry is strong with this one - luscious mulberries, dark and ripe currants followed by earthy fig and the slightly citrus-y snow note. I'm not getting a whole lot of licorice, but the scent still makes my mouth water.

Dry: The berry notes die down considerably into something a bit more subtle, like potpourri tinged with fig. Whereas the scent when wet screams berries and warm jams, the dried version is much more subdued and low-key, like someone sipping berry tea sitting near a fire-place.

Yummy and deeply fruity deliciousness in the decant and when wet on my skin. As it dries, a hint of fig comes out...

I definitely agree with the above statement by mymymai: "whereas the scent when wet screams berries and warm jams, the dried version is much more subdued and low-key, like someone sipping berry tea sitting near a fire-place." This is more a floral fruit than straight foodie to me, though.

I really didn't like Purple Snowballs; it was extremely floral on me and smelled almost identical to Almond Blossom on me. This, however, is warm & fruity goodness that doesn't go crazy on me. I wouldn't mind smelling this on my boyfriend, either.

Deeply fruity. This is dark, blackcurrant and figs with a hint of licorice.

mr. zee_zee went "What smellies do you have on?", and has requested a bottle.

Good thing I like it too. ;)

Juicy purpleness-- mostly currant to my nose, with the lab's snow note there underneath. I'd describe it as a "youthful floral berry" blend because it definitely has the feeling of a somewhat traditional perfume aimed at younger ladies. I totally forgot this had licorice as a note so I'm sorry to say I never smelled it at all, because it's a favorite note of mine. This is pleasant; sweet and fun, unoffensive for those more traditional perfume days.. but it isnt as awesome as I'd imagined it unfortunately. I was thinking more licorice and a smuttier fruit.. something actually gothic and black feeling ;)

Edited by MCS4096

"Okay," I said to myself. "You got a lot of Yules. There are bound to be some bad ones, and Black Snowballs is going to be among them. Let's just test it and get this over with."

I hate licorice. It smells like an ex that I had a particularly bad break-up with. Even the faintest whiff of anise is enough to make me feel irrationally weepy and angry and yell-y and ... a bunch of other bad things that this scent does not make me feel. In fact ... I think I might even like it more than Blue Snowballs, which was the surprising forerunner of the snowballs thus far.

I'm getting a purple-black fruit scent (more like a plum or nectarine than a berry, something with thin skin and sweet flesh) balanced and grounded by the faintest hints of ozone and licorice. If this is sexy, it's Lolita sexy. It's definitely not a grown up scent, but that's okay, because I'm not a grown up and I don't want to be!

Black Snowballs is candy-sweet, a little sour, and very delicious. It is surprisingly bright and cheerful for something that is supposed to be a goth scent, and much more straightforward than the blends I am accustomed to buying from the lab. I would almost recommend this as part of a starter package for people who are used to more traditional fragrance companies, or even for preteen wearers. When thinking of scents to compare this to, I came up with "those fruity deodorant sticks girls get when they're just starting puberty, but in a good way." Alternatively, maybe a more complex version of one of the better Victoria's Secret body sprays.

(Note: khemistry's description of this as a scent for Hot Topic/black eyeliner goths made me laugh because it is perfect and also because this is a scent I would have worn when I was in that stage, so yes. Very much yes.)

In the bottle, this is straight up blackcurrant, very juicy! It reminds me of blue bubblegum!

On my skin, the fig comes out. Not sure about the mulberries. There is a little hint of licorice as well, but it is not dominant at all. It does give the scent some bit, though, I think.

This is a fun, playful scent, and very different from what I expected. Nothing gothy going on here.

I don't need a bottle, but I would recommend it for people who like fun, juicy, light-hearted scents with a bit of bite.

Very silly and playful! Definitely juicy, sweet-tart fruits. The licorice is somewhat prominent when wet, mingling nicely with the fruits, but when dry it just adds a little bit of anisey spiciness to deepen the fruit. Like with Purple, I don't get any snow here, unless it's adding to the juiciness of the fruits.

Pretty!

This smells like candy. The lick-your-wrists type of candy smell that's not overly sweet but still juicy. The fruitiness doesn't stand out as any particular thing on me, it's more of a general, synthetic fruit mixture that reminds me of these throat lozenges that come in a cute old fashioned gold tin that a friend sends me from Germany. Anyways, this has a nearly medicinal undertone to it that must be from the licorice. Strangely the licorice isn't playing up in here at all like it normally does on my skin. It's more of a licorice vapor rather than a solid licorice or anise note. It's only there as a faint undercurrent.

This is my least candy-like of candy scents and I love the dry down too. It's almost a little floral in the way some of the snow notes dry on me.

This is definitely the sexiest of the Snowballs.

Very berry indeed! Tart dark berries and snow. It is the snow note that turns to fungus on me though. Not for me, and it does get kind of sharp and perfumey along with the fungus. Boo. No licorice.

In the bottle - Sweet blackcurrant with an undertone of liquorice. Like those boiled sweets that are blackcurrant flavour and have a liquorice flavoured toffee centre

Wet on me - A dry almost musky liquorice with hints of tart blackcurrant

Dry on me - A light cool musk

Overall - Pretty, but it disappeared very quickly

In the Bottle: Juicy dark berries and tart yummy currants!

Wet On Skin: This smells like a very berry ice pop! I seriously want to freeze this and eat the slush!

Dry Down: I get no licorice from this at all. I have to say I'm kinda relieved. My DH says that most fruity scents are TOO fruity, but that, although the licorice doesn't seem to show itself in an audacious manner, it's in there, making the scent grounded and giving it a little bit of an edge. I will agree, although I don't know if that's the licorice per se or just a skillful blending of the other elements.

Either way, glad I took a chance on a bottle- this might be my new favorite Snowball scent! :wub2:

Oh.

My.

GOD.

Black Snowballs, where have you been my whole life?

I was a little bit scared of this one, with the licorice note. I loathe black licorice.

And I was so surprised. It's there, but I can't pick it out, it just adds depth to the fruit/berry sweetness, keeps it from being cloying, and darkens it down.

This scent didn't stay slushy or cool on me, it morphed into something alluring, and dead-sexy.

To the point where a friend's husband hugged me, and then told her, whatever I was wearing, get some for herself. He didn't care how expensive it was, don't tell him, just get some. :lol:

I love this.

LOVE this.

I really amp the berries. I mostly get sweet, dark berries. It also seems to fade on me quickly, guess my skin eats it up. Overall, very pretty berries, with no hint of licorice. Drydown also reminds me of Chocolate, Merlot-infused Black Cherries, and Star Anise with just less chocolate.

Edited by Carrie

Snowy licorice and a little bit of berries. The berries all kind of blend together so I can't really identify which ones I'm smelling. It fades pretty fast on me, otherwise this is pretty nice. Wanted some more of the berries though.

I was gifted a decant of this as part of my first forum order, and it's definitely not something I would have picked up to try of my own accord. Fig is something I'm very iffy about, I don't like them as food, and I don't particularly enjoy how they smell for the most part. So I'm going into this with trepidation. Everything else here is very much my jam though, so I'm willing to give it a tentative try.

In the decant: Mostly blackcurrant and some softer mulberry and a hint of an icy-fruity-floral that my brain wants to call lily and coconut but that doesn't seem quite right. Not smelling fig at all (good for me), not smelling the licorice (sad for me I love licorice)

Freshly applied to skin: Oh the licorice is there! It's quiet, but present, a background note. I am pretty sure that there is a little bit of a lily or snowdrop note in the slush of this because those amp on me (fortunately I love them and they are a juicy vibrant note on me) and it's working to convey the slush. As a snow/slush note, it reminds me of Snow White a bit. Still no fig (we will see if I've lucked out and this works for me). Definitely very blackcurrant forward, which is excellent, that's a note I love.

On dry down: I think that I have indeed lucked out! The fig has stayed silent. I like this snow note, it's one of the more floral ones, and I'm still getting that creaminess to the snow note that I somewhat associate with coconut. Blackcurrant is lovely in this. The licorice has remained a supporting background note, but it is pretty!

I'm very glad that I've gotten the chance to try this one, but I don't think that I'd go in search of more (though I'd probably take it if someone like handed it to me). Good to know that fig sometimes behaves for me.