Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A bath fit for a down-to-earth monarch: sweet aged patchouli, golden amber, cacao, winter honey, precious oudh, and ylang ylang.

This is like someone took full bottles of Smut and Third Charm (and they better have not been mine :evil: ) and put them in this wonderful lil bottle of bath oil. Wow.

This acted really strangely for me - I poured it in the bath and was enveloped in a glorious dirty hippy patch steam cloud - but as soon as I was in the bath I couldn't smell it at all! Maybe I should use more next time?

Once I was out of the bath and dry the patchouli reappeared very faintly on my skin along with the cacao and honey, all with very little throw. This might be good for when I know I'll want to wear a scent later that won't be overwhelmed by patchouli but still want my patchouli hit in the bath.

Even though Rags to Royalty has two notes that typically don't work on me (oudh and cacao) they play quite nicely in this. Overall I get thick, syrupy-sweet patch and amber swirled with honey and a dash of cacao. It has the same tone to it as Scrappy Damsel, and I can see this being something she'd bath in. wub2.gif

Sadly, neither this nor Scrappy Damsel worked for me. Maybe I'm Naughty and I don't even know it. :lol:

I got no patchouli and no amber; on my skin this was mostly honey, cacao and ylang ylang. I'm just...not a fan.

Note: I used a small tester amount as an after-shower moisturizer.

Edited by OctoberGwen

Hey hey, OctoberGwen...I had the same experience with this except I got some Patchouli at the very beginning...then the honey stomped all over it. Boo hiss. :-(

Sniffed it in the bottle.. Not really sure what it smells like..just very musty/dusty to me. Perhaps that is patchouli? But I don't pick up any honey really or anything else. Sadly the rags to royalty + scrappy damsel combo doesn't smell like what i hoped for. I was hoping for something a bit sweeter and more flowery while at the same time not being overly feminine. Ah well. Probably off to the trade pile with the both of 'em.

This very much reminds me of Tricksy bath oil but with a hint of cacao, and as I already have a bottle of that which I've barely made a dent in, I'll probably swap this away.

I only got the teeniest sample of this - enough to smell in the bottle, and swipe on my skin, but sadly not enough for a bath test.

In the bottle, this is a deep, rich, sweet cacao and patchouli. On my skin, the cacao disappears at first leaving patchouli, amber, and oudh, but it and the honey come back soon after to make this a sweeter, snugglier scent. I'm going to need a bottle of this, for sure.

Ordered a blind bottle in the hopes that it would complement my La Lugubre Gondola, Hesiod's Phoenix, and Implacable Beautiful Tyrant, and I am not disappointed at all! Tested it by rubbing into my hands as a moisturizer, and initially I get the same patchouli as in my beloved Tricksy, followed by the amber and oudh, with a touch of honey. This is a dry smelling scent to me, more similar to La Lugubre and lacks the sweetness of Hesiod's Phoenix, but it will work perfectly as an after shower moisturizer with both of them. I hope they stay up long enough that I can manage another bottle with my next paycheck, since I didn't get a backup in my usual fashion.

Note: I'm wearing this as a perfume rather than bathing in it.

Upon first application I want to eat my wrist. The cacao is dominant and smells amazing. It's followed by the patchouli, giving me very strong Banshee Beat vibes. I know BB doesn't have cacao in it, but I guess the vanilla/patch combo has always given me that impression.

Something strange then rears its ugly head and I'm guessing it's the ylang ylang? Florals generally don't play well with me so I was hoping it would stay in the background and/or that my skin chemistry would eat it, but no such luck. The gorgeous foody mix is gone and all I get is artificial honey with wilting flowers. The amber tries to placate it but instead boosts the floral sweetness. Yuck.

*edited* Due to a mishap of me mistaking oudh for another note. Sorry oudh.

Edited by Balame

I really like this. It's a patch blend that is muted and feminine with a touch of cocoa to make it interesting. This is a princess who has 'been there done that', and is not afraid to get her hands dirty, who may have a few secrets of her own. I'll enjoy my decant, and keep my eye out for more.

Badgers, is this you?

I have to say that minus the leather note in Badgers, this is very Badgers-esque. I get patchouli, soft honey, and cacao and amber. It's a dark, heady, sophisticated blend with just enough sweetness and foodiness to counteract the patchouli.

I already have Badgers as a perfume oil, but if you ever wanted to bathe in it, here's something that smells REALLY similar.

In the decant: Getting some ylang, ylang, hint of patch, and a dusty note that is probably the amber.

Wet: Much as on cold sniff.

The dry-down: As other reviewers have said throughout the review forum, this is why I get decants when I can. This is mostly dusty amber. :( I wanted the spicy-sweet blend promised by the patch, cacao, honey, and oudh. Disappointing.

Note: this was tested as a body lotion.