Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gird your loins for battle with a cologne that will infuse you with an extra boost of bravery, chivalry, and gentlemanly wherewithal: dapper lavender fougere with white carnation, sweet oakmoss, clary sage, crisp leather, bourbon vanilla, and a hint of armor polish.

In the bottle: Reminds me very strongly of Vicomte de Valmont and Windward Passage. Oooh.

Wet: Ugh this is exactly what I like my guy to smell like, it's a perfect fougere with just a breath of leather. I think if this is this good on him we will need like 374893743 backups.

Dry: A touch of sweetness shows up at the end but remains mostly consistent. It's a beautiful gent's cologne! I LOVE this! Beautifully blended that you get a hint of all the notes but none of them stand out and over-run the scent. The leather definitely comes out more at the end, ugh, this is gorgeous!

In Bottle: Surprisingly sharp. It is lavender dominant. The carnation gives it a characteristic floral spiciness that blends wonderfully with the lavender. The oakmoss gives it a darker masculine feel. The sage dances gently with the oakmoss and lavender. The vanilla sweetens the florals. The leather and polish are soft support for the oakmoss. This is complex and interesting. I love the use of the word dapper in the description, as this does have a dapper, yet chivalric feel. I am thinking of both Lancelot and Ser Loras, Knight of the Flowers. Wet: Oh god, where has this been all my life? This is so me! The Lavender remains dominant, but the carnation really pops as my skin warms it. The bourbon vanilla embraces the florals, enhancing them. The leather stays soft, but dances with the oakmoss, sage, and polish to create a counter balance to the brasher elements. This is beautifully balanced and surprisingly subtle. I think I’m in love. Dry: Mostly oakmoss and lavender fougere with a sharp hint of sage.

Edited by Gwydion

Oh man, this is Jareth running around sporting the Bow and Crown of Conquest minus the oudh that turns the Goblin King into the Band Aid king on my skin. Starts off a little sharp, but mellows into a sweet snuggly vanilla-lavender-sage-leather concoction, like wrapping yourself if your guy's fave shirt. I'm quite appreciative that the lavender doesn't get bracing and sharp and veer into medicinal or manly shower gel territory

Knight in Shiny armor is just how I like my heroes--warm and comforting, but with enough spice to keep things interesting. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm going to need another bottle.

EDIT: Just put this on Mr. Elf. Ohhhhhh man. thud.gif It's not as sweet as him as it is on me, but adding male skin chemistry turns into a seeexy Knight. On him it's much deeper and richer. I think he amps the lavender fougere much more than I do. I smell the hints of Vicomte de Valmont too, but this Knight is softer and more approachable thanks to the vanilla and not as sharp. I'm going to need VATS of this as I think I just found his new signature scent.

Edited by thatbrownelf

Knight is a lovely lavender-tinged leather, oakmoss and armor polish on wet. As it dries, I get just a bare hint of vanilla which warms the blend up considerably.

It's a nice, clean masculine cologne.

Oh my goodness - this is phenomenal in every way. :thud:

I had hoped this blend would be amazing - I don't actually know what several of its components smell like on their own, but I do know that I tend to like blends with them (particularly fougere and oakmoss). In the bottle, I mostly detect lavender, but it's definitely not a really strong lavender - perhaps this is the fougere?

Once on my skin it morphs, but I still can't really pick things out - it's a lot like Dorian, actually, but a bit more masculine and maybe slightly herbal? Could that be the clary sage and the oakmoss? It stays very similar to Dorian in feel as it dries, with a touch of leather and vanilla rearing their heads. It's snuggly and sexy and I want to bathe in this... and I want a shiny knight to slather this on too. :yum: :thud:

This smells just how a knight should. Clean and striking and just good. The lavender is most prominent when wet and I'm getting a bit of cologne/manly scent. This is a paladin in blindingly bright armor atop a white courser, sunbeams behind him radiating off in all directions. On drydown it smells like a really, really, really hot guy. I want to slop this all over the husbeast :wub2:

sweet lavender cologne (not as Sweet as Jareth, which I put on the other wrist for comparison after reading other reviews here) that fades down adding in a more earthy brown (sage?) with hint of polish. No leather for me :(

after the initial dapper-ness, it no longer smells like a cologne except in occasional whiffs of undernotes. It turns into something wholely unremarkable on me

I don't get any leather from this. But that's okay, because it's STILL AWESOME. A beautiful mix of lavender, oakmoss, sage, and polish. Herbal, clean, and simply amazing.

eta: The vanilla comes out more every time I wear this. Oh MAAAAAN. :wub2: I'm in love with this. Top 5, easily.

Edited by vthesiren

In the imp: lavender and.... Something green and herbal.

Wet on skin: about the same... Mostly lavender

Dried down: the vanilla's starting to edge out from behind the lavender, but it's still mostly lavender on me.

Throw: it's got a little throw, mostly the lavender with an almost-sweetness.

Verdict: *** I do like it, but I don't know if I'd get a bottle for myself. I'd consider getting one for my fiancé, though.

*siiiiiigh* :wub2:

Carnation, oakmoss, vanilla, a hint of lavender and sage. I think any leather present might be blending in with the oakmoss because, as I know from the SN, it's quite leathery itself. It's powdery dry and sweet and clean

This is divine. Enough carnation and vanilla to not feel overly masculine, although it definitely tends that way. In a similar vein to Villain, which has a vanilla and lavender fougere feel (although no vanilla is listed as a note) So you'll probably like this, if you like that.

In the bottle - A white peppery lavender

Wet on me - A smooth fougere with just a hint of clary safe

Dry on me - A cool clean skin musk

Overall - It was a little bland on my skin

I was hoping this would be great and it didn't disappoint!

On me, it is a lot like The Bow & Crown of Conquest, which makes sense since it shares a lot of notes (lavender, leather, sage, carnation, vanilla, and musk), but Bow & Crown is heavier on the vanilla where Knight is heavier on the lavender. I do get some really nice leather in Knight, but it's not as strong here as it is in Bow & Crown. And the lavender is not too sharp or medicinal; the vanilla keeps it sweet.

Unfortunately it faded quickly on me. A few hours after applying I couldn't really smell it anymore. I'll have to stock up and carry it around in a roller bottle for reapplications.

In the bottle: Definitely masculine, but more promising than I thought it would be. The lavender is prominent, but I can smell the clary sage, sweet oakmoss, and a bit of the leather as well.

Wet: I am mostly getting the lavender fougere and the leather. The lavender fougere is the most prominent note. I'm not a big fan of leather notes, but I'm finding that I can wear this one. I can smell the polish as well. The blend seems to be getting sweeter the longer this sits on my skin, and the florals are starting to peek out now.

Dry: Dapper, indeed! Mostly sweet oakmoss, clary sage, and a hint of leather. I hope that the bourbon vanilla comes out more as this ages.

Verdict: This was a pleasant surprise! I will definitely keep my bottle, but I don't need a back-up.

ITI: This is a pleasant scent - it does remind me of something shiny and bright, like armor, due in part to the sage, lavender fougere, and armor polish.

Wet: The lavender fougere here is brilliant - it's soft but assertive while still being appealing, and paired with the armor polish and sage and faint floral from the carnation, it yields a brilliant unisex scent.

Dry: It dries down to a gentle lavender fougere with a pleasant metallic undertone and just a touch of carnation.

I bought a bottle of this for my man. He isn't a "Scent person". So, I just usually sneak a dab on him and get tickled as a retaliation. Let's just say... IT WAS (IS) WORTH IT!

In Bottle: To Me: Oh-So good! Lovely manly scent.

To Him: Smells ok. Whoa, burned my nose. (Paraphrased)

Wet on Skin: To Me: Yup. He better like it, I want it a keeper! I got it for him! Definitely cologne-y but the leather isn't harsh which is a huge plus!

To Him: Smells good, a little strong. (I can never get him to pick out scent notes XD The brat)

Dry Down: Both: Like it a lot.

Verdict: Keeping the bottle. FINALLY A scent he Likes!

Dude cologne alert! Quite masculine, but fresh, like a guy out of the shower. There's something akin to tobacco here, which lends a nice touch. I kind of like metallic scents once in awhile, especially on a guy, they're fresh and crisp. I'll try to save this one to test on a guy sometime, I quite like this one, but will probably never wear it, so the 1/2 decant will suffice.

Knight in Shiny Armor is one of my favorite scents on my husband. Perhaps because it shares four notes with The Bow and Crown of Conquest (leather, vanilla, carnation, and lavender)? Knight is brighter, perhaps due to all the polishing—and the lavender is more prominent. The oakmoss and clary sage also add a nice mossy, herbal quality. An hour or so after he applies it, the metal dulls a bit, the other notes deepen and muddle, and oh my, does it smell good.

Traditional Victorian masculinity which transforms into a more typical modern cologne on the skin. Something about this, though, I do not dig. I think it’s the leather and armor polish giving it a hard edge that clashes with the other, more dandy-ish notes (think Jareth’s lilac fougere). Just not quite right.

Every time I read the name of this fragrance, I think of that saying: "My knight in shining armor turned out to be a loser in aluminum foil," and I laugh. That has nothing to do with the actual perfume, which I actually think is very good and not loser-y at all. I'm not sure why I'm even mentioning it. I digress.
I enjoy so many of bpal's more traditionally masculine smelling blends. If it says fougere, cologne, or mentions being for 'gentlemen,' there's a high chance that I will love it.
Knight in Shiny Armor is lots of cool, crisp, clean, musky lavender cologne paired with swirls of dark leather, sweet vanilla, hints of dry and earthy-herbal clary sage and oakmoss and a bit of carnation spiciness. It does have a sort of metallic brightness to it, and a Dorian-esque feel in it. It's manly, crisp and complex, but snuggly and so appealing. Clean, but dark, and with just the right amount of sweetness.
A very good cologne that smells like a good, loyal boyfriend and makes me think of snuggling into a man's well worn t-shirt. ^_^

I have majorly gotten into lavender fougeres in the last year, so trying this one belatedly.

Wet: Dry bright lavender and the oil note from the phoenix steamworks scents.A little moss, a touch of sage, and a breath of leather. Masculine, dry, bright, and complicated.

Dry: My skin is absolutely devouring this one, almost no throw. The notes meld into a pretty standard cologne plus leather. If the leather was a little more pronounced, this would be absolute manna from heaven. As it is, it's still a very nice cologne.