Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
chinchiller

Scents for doula work and birthing

I'm getting ready to become a doula. I know that essential oils can affect psychology, some are calming some excite.

I'm looking for formulas that are calming, soothing, warm, tranquil, good for focusing and I'm trying to avoid things that are electrifying, sharp, cold, distracting (I'm thinking specifically of Lightning here). Also looking to avoid things that people either love or hate, with very little middle ground.

I know I could use single note EOs and probably will in some capacity, but I really like the idea of blends.

Any thoughts?

OH!

Also trying to avoid foodie scents. Unless mom sneaks food in or outright defies hospital policy, most moms won't be eating during labor. I don't want a blend to remind them of food and how they aren't eating it. :ack:

I would look into a lavender essential oil. It is one of the most universally soothing oils and is often put in sleep sachets for just this reason.

I would personally steer clear of most perfumes, and would go for a candle or braiser so the whole room smells. To me, room scents are better for calming and atmosphere than an acutal perfume.

Honestly? I would say absolutely nothing unless a room scent is requested. I can't think of anything worse than trying to give birth while having an allergy attack. Even without allergies sickness is not uncommon during labour and I think scent is very likely to make that worse.

Honestly? I would say absolutely nothing unless a room scent is requested. I can't think of anything worse than trying to give birth while having an allergy attack. Even without allergies sickness is not uncommon during labour and I think scent is very likely to make that worse.

This.

Also I was so sick to my stomach that pretty much every smell made me want to hurl while I was in labor. Unless it's rubbing alcohol I would not use it in the room. I remember a nurse was chewing some sort of mint gum….and it was just awful.

However that was just me.

I have always thought that jasmine was very calming. I prefer it as my bedroom scent over lavender. Again that's just me.

This.

Also I was so sick to my stomach that pretty much every smell made me want to hurl while I was in labor. Unless it's rubbing alcohol I would not use it in the room. I remember a nurse was chewing some sort of mint gum….and it was just awful.

However that was just me.

I have always thought that jasmine was very calming. I prefer it as my bedroom scent over lavender. Again that's just me.

I agree with this.

As a woman with two kids, I'm going to add another "this" to the 'please don't scent anything unless requested' pile. I'm very sensitive to scents and when I was pregnant, I was even more sensitive. The laundry soap of the L&D nurses used was over-the-top to me, I could pick out lotion brands, I could tell which ones smoked-and-washed, which ones usually wore perfume when they wore that watch or necklace, and so much more. Asthma and allergies can also be serious issues and the last thing you want during labor is an asthma attack or allergies flaring.

I'd avoid personal scent and room scent, unless requested by the patient.

Absolutely agree, even basic hormonal changes can affect my sensitivity to scent to the point where scents I've been okay with previously are not okay at all and are nausea/headache inducing.

Likewise if you pre-scent a room and it causes the client discomfort/illness that client may forever associate that scent with feeling ill/uncomfortable, so always ask before scenting a room, and I would say personally if someone was attending me for pregnancy or other health related things that I would like them not to wear personal scent at all.

Also a pre-scented room would be impossible to get away from, taking the scent out of a room is difficult, especially quickly, so when working with even client requests for scents I would use something like a handkerchief/therapy pillow/cotton ball, or just a nearly empty bottle with some of the oil in the bottom that can be removed quickly should it start to make the client ill. Definitely never apply directly to the client either.

Edited by The Poison Queen

I'd totally agree with no scent at all. I had an abusive midwife first time who kept applying Kenzo flower, it was awful and I cannot bear it to this day, over ten years later. My now ex ate a banana during that labour and it was two years before I could eat one again. It was the strongest smell in the world at that time.

Aromatherapy if requested would be ok.

Sign in to follow this