Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Clouds of flour and spices with the scent of ginger tea, warm caraway cakes, snickerdoodle pinwheels, and sugar cookies with sweet orange frosting.

Clouds of flour and spices with the scent of ginger tea, warm caraway cakes, snickerdoodle pinwheels, and sugar cookies with sweet orange frosting]

Hope I formated that top-of-the-page post right!

Anyway, bought as an imp in a Yule decant circle.

IN THE IMP: TOOOOO sweet cookies.

Dabbed tentatively on one wrist.

WET: I really don't know what I was thinking when I ordered this. I think I was caught up in the OMG ALL THESE YULE SCENTS madness and didn't settle down and think that out of, what, 63 blends, nothing REALLY grabbed me and called my name so I better pick SOME. This was super-de-dupery sweet on me and that would have been okay were it not for the inevitable amping up of the "orange icing" which smelled like St. Joseph's baby aspirin. Candy-ish or faux orange is SO not my scent friend. I knew that so my bad. Ugh.

DRYDOWN: This is just not me. At all. Way too sweet and sacchariney with side notes that don't do anything for me and then the orange icing to top it all off.

OVERALL: My bad Yule choices, however, will be a lot of other people's chances to get some of the Yule imps in swaps. It is what it is.

On a scale of 1-5, a 1.5

A rather delicious cookie, alright!! At first, it smells like a vanilla liqueur, and spices. Dries to a spice cookie, with a freshness, that I'm thinking is probably the orange. Nice, but I don't wear foodie scents as a rule.

eta: NOW I know what this reminds me of!! Mr. Nancy without the lime note. EXACT same cookie blend. I love Mr. Nancy and don't need any of this, but if the lime note annoyed you in MN, give this one a whirl.

Edited by milo

Wet this one starts off as gingersnap cookies. When it dries down the orange comes in and mellows it out a little. I feel like I get some other spices that I don't know as well, maybe that's the caraway. I really like this one. It's very Christmassy to me. And the label is the cutest thing ever! :wub2:

First off, I'm usually indifferent to label art because I store most of my bottles in a box with labeled caps, but the art for Yule Cookies is SO cute! I love octopi. <3 I just had to buy a bottle for that and because I love foody blends anyway.

In the bottle, it smells sweet and buttery, with some spices. I can smell cardamom, a bit of the orange, and something that smells almost cherry-ish (but it might be almond).

On my skin: Cardamom, smelling a bit dusty and bitter as it sometimes does. I smell the caraway, too, which I associate with rye bread more than a cake, but this scent is sweet. It's not sickeningly sweet, though; the more "spicy" spices are keeping it from being quite as sweet as Sugar Cookie, which is more like pure cookie dough on me.

This is one of those scents that's a bit more like being in a bakery, surrounded by goodies, rather than having smeared frosting all over yourself. I like sweet cardamom scents with an element of dustiness, and this is a good one for that. But as it dries more the caraway note is adding something almost celery or parsley-like. This bakery also has savory breads and not JUST sweets.

Once it's dry, most of the sweetness is gone on my skin, leaving more of a dry scent of cardamom and caraway that's more like sniffing dried spice jars than the buttery, cookie-like scent in the bottle. I preferred the bottle scent and was hoping for more sweetness in the drydown, so this may go to swaps.

Edited by sunlitgarden

This reminds me soooo much of holiday cookies, that wearing it, even in the summertime, it makes me nostalgic for winter celebration.

In the bottle: Sweeeeeetttttt. Sugar, sugar, sugar. Vanilla. I don't smell any citrus up front. Just that good ol' sugar cookie smell.

On the skin: A little more orangey. Buttery and sweet, and the vanilla definitely takes on a different tone. Sweet, but comforting, not sickly.

On me, this smells like cinnamon-spiked cider and orange cinnamon tea with dusty flour and sparkling sugars. It's like someone set out hot cider and tea to sip on while everyone gets together to make and decorate Christmas cookies. There's a hint of warm, sugary smokiness in the drydown, like someone left a batch of the cookies in the oven for too long.

I like how fun and festive this is. Cinnamon easily overwhelms me, but the cinnamon here is held in check by the sweet notes, and the sweet notes are held in check by a little bitterness from the tea.
Very pretty.

From a secondhand bottle (2013 I think).

Bottle

Love! :) Orange, flour, christmasbaking-kitchen.

Wet

Same as above. But now with ginger and tea --> foody scent (doesnt reach the sweetness of other bpal cake/cookie scents and I like it that way).

Dry

Loads of white flour. Tea now. Sugar. Orange (bitter and sweet). Spices like maybe cardamon and a lemon... cant say, because I am distracted by more white (not deep/complex, but plain shallow white) sugar. I wish for more ginger tea, but it shifts between flour, butter, tea and baked stuff. It is a bit simple and superficial in its own nice way now and I like that, because it doesnt want much from me, I can just enjoy it.

Conclusions

I guess its christmas every day with this scent? Though really more the pre-fun of baking. Baking... American cookies, to be clear. (I am not American or living there - I wish for European pastries/baked stuff/cake/cookies now. In fact, I would like glutenfree German cookies now, please ;) I am sure the glutenfree can be a scent, because I am very confident in the lab's skills). I feel this is a slightly nerdy scent.

I like it! :D Yes, even in March.

Edited by zazkea

bear with me while we go on a journey. 

one of my favourite sweet treats are these orange slice things

they're nothing like the "orange slice" candy i grew up with, which are like gumdrops but shaped different. these are softer, squishier, and sweeter.  
i love the idea of orange juice, but i don't actually like the taste of it. or real oranges.  just so bitter. 
Clementines, satsumas, and mandarins are good but i can't eat regular oranges or grapefruits, just too sour.

so. wet in the bottle, this smells a bit like yellow cake batter, and a hint of one of those orange slice candies.  not a real orange, but a sugary treat that happens to be orange in color, more than anything else.  

with me so far?

then, once it settles in, that yellow cake batter and orange candy scent just vanishes, and what is left is an almond-extract-ish sugar cookie dough. because most sugar cookies have either almond, lemon, or vanilla, right? this one has almond.

a little bit later, that cookie dough has become cookies and they were baked alongside some sort of savory roll/bread.  and maybe.... molasses cookies? or maybe i'm imagining that 'cuz i had two of those for breakfast. or wishful thinking because they were my last two and i'd like more.