Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dedee

Gingerbread Snake

Oh dear! I'm a quarter gone!

Gingerbread and exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

Wet:spicy gingerbread...vanilla. Dry: still gingerbready, with a little snake oil coming through. Wears away to a incensey vanilla. I like this and can't wait for it to aged. I think the snake oil will become more pronounced with some time. Throw is great and wear time is also nice. I have had it on for 6 hours and can smell the light spiced vanilla dry down when I move. I also like that the gingerbread is more on the spicy gingerbread side, not a sugary sweet gingerbread.

ITI: Strong gingerbread note framed by Indonesian oils and granulated sugar. I'm a sucker for Snake Oil, so it stands to reason that I'd like this one as well.

Wet: Oh, the Indonesian oils are much stronger when applied to my skin, and I'm now getting some o the vanilla intertwined with the gingerbread. It's an enticing, alluring, foody scent so far and I'm kicking myself for not buying a bottle.

Dry: The Snake Oil is much more evident when dried as the Indonesian oils and sugared vanilla seem to meet the brash gingerbread note. It's a nice play together.

I was gifted a decant of this by a lovely forumite :joy: I slathered this as soon as it arrived.

Snake Oil isn't a scent I can wear since it turns to play dough on me, but SO blends such as Lilith Victoria tend to work really well. I was hoping this one wasn't too heavy on the Snake Oil…and my dreams have come true! Hooray!

Gingerbread Snake starts out as a strong, fresh baked gingerbread (just like Gingerbread Poppet). As it dries, the Snake Oil elements are a bit more prominent, tempering the gingerbread and smelling more of spiced cake with cinnamon standing in the foreground. The final dry down isn't much different, a fresh baked spice cake with sugary cinnamon icing. I was afraid this would be a seasonal, winter scent but this is something you could easily wear any time of year. They staying power isn't very long (about an hour) but it has a good amount of throw. I can't wait to try this in my scent locket tomorrow.

Overall, I'm kicking myself for not snagging a bottle when I had the chance to. I'll be on the hunt for this for sure. :wub2:

I rediscovered a bottle of this recently :) My Gingerbread Poppet was running low, so I went for this as my next gingerbready bottle available. It's definitely more complex than Poppet - wet, it's very sharp, strong raw ginger, which settles down to a warmer, softer gingerbread with a bit of sexy snake oil underneath,

BUT, I'm mostly reviewing this today because I DISCOVERED A THING! :D ...got a bottle of Suck It that wasn't doing much for me - it dies on my skin in seconds, and alone in a locket it's just strong cherries, and not complex enough. So, I tried a blend of Gingerbread Snake and Suck It in my locket, and holy mother of fuck it's good! The cherries were too strong initially, but after about 20 minutes they died down, as did the rawness of the ginger. Now it's absolutely gorgeous, warm and rich and rounded, like cherry pie and warm gingerbread coming out of the oven simultaneously. I am in love, and so glad that both bottles are basically full! :D

Oh my ... I had high hopes for you, Gingerbread Snake ... :/

I bought this last year

and I LOVED it in the bottle.

I only tested it once

but it was very harsh and bitter on me -

liked burned cookies and smoke.

So I tuked it away in my wooden BPAL cabinet

and let it age.

I re-tested it last week ...

still no luck :(

It was harsh and artificial,

the burned notes and something really plastic- y

that I never experienced with any other Snake Oil variety before.

I wear Snake Oil in the Pumpkin Patch a lot,

also plain ol' Snake Oil .. and to this day,

they have always been pure sultry goodness on me.

Alas ... I will let my Gingerbread Snakes go ...

off to a new and better home :)

So I'm not the world's biggest fan of Snake Oil, but I love almost all of the gingerbread blends I've tried, so I was super excited to try this when a generous forumite sent a decant my way. It doesn't disappoint! Delicious gingerbread spiciness with extra vanilla, which just makes it more baked goods-like. Yum!

This is all gingerbread when you sniff the bottle. On the skin it starts off as strong gingerbread but on the dry down other spicy notes emerge and so does the vanilla. Makes me think of french toast a little. This is a foodie lovers Snake Oil to me and I love it. I also know it will get less powdery with age so I'm excited to see where this ends up in a few more years. ;)

In the bottle: Smells just as described.

Wet: The gingerbread starts off strong with the vanilla and Snake oil right behind it. It's amazing! The Snake Oil starts coming out more as it dries and the vanilla lessens.

Dry: Gingerbread and Snake Oil blended together so perfectly with a touch of vanilla in the background, just barely there. Oh my goodness this is so good.

Gingerbread Snake was a frimp from a generous forumite and I love it.  Wet, it's the strong gingerbread note from my beloved Gingerbread, Vetiver and Black Clove.  Eventually the Snake Oil is recognizable.  Throughout, the balance tilts more towards the gingerbread than the Snake Oil, although it has the terrific throw I get from SO and good wear length too.  It's gingerbread with extra vanilla and sex appeal.  Apparently I yearn to smell like sultry gingerbread.  

This smells amazing, unfortunately, for some weird reason, I morph the all the gingerbreads into incense. This smells like the perfect blend of Snake Oil and gingerbread, very alluring. After 20 minutes, I turn this into sweet, spicy incense with the faintest hint of Snake Oil. Hopefully this will work for someone else.

Review based on a tester decant. Amount of oil may affect my ability to review all aspects completely and accurately. 

In the decant: Gingerbread at the forefront, Snake Oil underneath. 

On my skin:

Wet, the gingerbread note comes to the forefront. As it dries, the Snake Oil becomes more apparent, though gingerbread remains dominant. 

After this has been on my skin some time -- about forty-five minutes from the initial application -- this becomes basically Snake Oil on me. By this time, it's very beautiful and aged Snake Oil, of course, but it's mainly Snake Oil nonetheless. 

Ultimately, not worth me seeking out as a specialty. 

This continues my streak of being able to wear SO blends, just not SO.

This may be my favorite iteration yet.

This is a rich, not overly sweet, but definitely sugared, gingery gingerbread. And then it is deepened by vanilla and spices and a sort of muskiness. 
Honestly if Christmas smells like this, I wanna be Christmas.

Preconceived notions:

What's there not to like about the idea of this?  I love Snake Oil and I've been loving the Lab's gingerbread note for a while now (all these new Gingerbread Cotillion scents use a lovely gingerbread that's not quite the same as Gingerbread Poppet; it's softer, more of a spice cake gingerbread than a heavily gingered, almost lemony one.)

First sniff:

All I smell here is gingerbread.  Not too uncommon for the Gingerbread Cotillion scents.  I was hoping for more Snake Oil, especially since this is old enough for the SO to have aged a bit.  Hmmph.

Wet on skin:

Slightly sweeter than usual gingerbread.  I would have just guessed a little extra vanilla or something, not Snake Oil.  That's disappointing, since I was hoping to get a pretty equal amount of both.  This is pretty much all gingerbread, all the time.

Dry down:

At first, this is more or less the same as when it's wet, but the longer it dries down, the stronger the Snake Oil becomes until it turns a 180 and ends up being almost all Snake Oil, all the time.  There's some gingerbread spices in the background, which is lovely, but it's mostly Snake Oil.

Final verdict:

I was thinking about re-homing this one just because I didn't feel like I needed another similar sweetened gingerbread scent, but I'm thinking it's going to stay.  It's not too dimensional or complicated, but it does smell good!  It would be better with a more balanced approach between the gingerbread and Snake Oil, but I like it as is, too.

How is it possible that I never reviewed this?! I have three bottles of it, for pete's sake, and I wear it a lot through November and December and January!

So I love Snake Oil and many but not all of its variants. The addition of gingerbread is makes this one of, if not THE, most favorite variant in my collection. There's not much to say... the Snake Oil is recognizable, and the addition of a sweet gingerbread just makes it a beautiful variant. Love love love this! 

Edited by Poenari
Grammar

As we say in California: Okay, no, YEAH. This may be the most perfect gingerbread scent ever.

This is the all cozy of gingerbread (sweet ginger, a hint of cinnamon, and some other spices in small quantities), and the Snake Oil grounds everything so it's not overly foody. 

Throw is good - I get gentle wafts from my cleavage as I move about my life, but it's not so constant that I risk nausea (as happens with very foody, boozy, and ozone scents 🤷🏻‍♀️). 

Longevity is also good - I'm 4 hours into my morning application, and it's only a little fainter than fresh. This is a completely linear progression with no morphing. 

The overall effect is rich without being heavy. Delightful!