Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SadariEvenstar

Picture Books in Winter

The wild joy of story time on a frosty winter morning: the well-loved, well-worn leather of old fairy tale books, the sweet mustiness of antique paper, fae glimmers of twinkling crystalline flowers, and a chunk of Scottish Tablet.

In the decant: The scottish tablet--oh boy, but this smells tasty!

Wet: Much as on cold sniff, but w/ hints of the other notes.

The dry-down: Still mostly the tablet, but hints of leather and paper peek out from time to time. Not sure where the flowers went, but that's okay. I :wub2: this! 1 or 2 bottles, that's the only question now. :)

In the bottle - Sweet soft fudge, or tablet I suppose

Wet on me - A touch of leather but a really sour top note that's a bit like bile

Dry on me - I actually had to wash it off (which is unusual for me), the sour note was just turning my stomach

Overall - Didn't work for me at all :cry2:

In bottle: Very sweet. Similar to Miskatonic U.

Wet: All toffee. Like, Miskatonic U levels of caramel. As it stands, this smells more like a mislabeled, Misk U bottle than anything else.

Drying: There is a bit of sharpness that smalls maybe like old paper or dust, but not a trace of leather or flowers.

Dry: Still butterscotch dominant, but every other whiff or so, I get paper and a depth that seems to most likely be leather. Still no flowers, which is a blessing to me. The longer it dries, the sharper it gets.

This is Misk U's close cousin to me. The leather really tempers the frightening sweetness of this when it was wet and it develops a really nice spicy oomph to it that keeps it from tipping over the 'omg I smell like a pastry' line that can occasionally trip me up. I will definitely be grabbing this when I need a foody kick.

I blind bought a bottle of this, my first bpal book scent, because of my absurd devotion to picture books in all seasons.

when it first arrived, the smell in the bottle was so buttery sugary that I couldn't bring myself to try it. this settled down within a week, and has completely changed several weeks later. (if anything I wouldn't mind a touch more of it returning)

first applied, there is a light clear frosty sweetness (more like birch sap or maple candy than caramel to me) that doesn't stay full time. it goes away but returns now and again. what comes next is warm, familiar leather and paper. it doesn't smell identical any of my old picture books, but evokes them nonetheless. the scent is clean and cozy and beautiful. I get all of the excitement that comes from cracking a good book with the coziness of knowing that one is in a place safe from the severe weather and terrible conditions outside.

this has come to be my favorite bedtime scent. I love reading to it and falling asleep to it. it's completely gone from my wrists by morning, but lingers nicely on sheets, etc (hellllloooooo trading post linen spray yes please).

love this one. xxxoooxxx

In Bottle: This is a lot sweeter than I expected, as I was not previously aware of Scottish Tablet as confectionery. Given the recipe, I’m calling this Scottish Tablet dominant as creamy, sugary vanilla not quite fudge is exactly what I smelled when I opened the bottle that sent me to google to figure out what was going on. (Me: This smells like fudge without the chocolate!) The flowers are delicate and compliment the confection well. I’m calling them marginally stronger than the lovely parchment smell that blends really well with both stronger notes. Normally, leather stands out, but here is is soft and very appropriate support to the paper. Wet: It’s still Tablet dominant, but barely. The parchment is now a strong second. There is a hint of frost on the pale and unusual choice of flowers. As it warms, the leather quickly moves into dominance over all. My skin really amps leather, so YMMV. I was fascinated by how unusual it was in the bottle, it is much less unusual on the skin as it turns into a classic leather furnished library scent, with a kiss of sweetness and the ghost of frosted flowers. This is exactly the sort of thing I like, but I mourn the delicate beauty of it in the imp. Dry: Powdery Scottish Tablet.

Brown sugar and paper, kind of caramel-like which does not make me happy. Dry and after a bit, not so sugary, more paper-like. It's quite nice, but not really my style.

In the vial:

Warm and sweet, a little like butterscotch and/or caramel. Really divine.

Applied: Still reminiscent of butterscotch/caramel (or maybe toffee?), but not quite as strong as in the vial, and with an added something I can't quite place… Perhaps that's the books? A trace of something floral is hiding in there, but not too noticeable unless I'm looking for it.

Off the top of my head, I probably couldn't describe what antique books and Scottish Tablet smell like, but smelling this, yeah, I can totally see it fitting the notes listed. And, wow, I was just hit with an impulse to toddle off to the library for a cozy afternoon with my textbooks and toffee candies. I wonder if I could convince anyone that a bottle would be an academic expense… To be fair, that is absolutely what I will do every time I wear this.

Overall: Yummy and wonderful, and the perfect study scent.

picture books in winter is a very cuddly, cozy sort of scent to me. it is not terribly strong and wears close to the skin; i have to really slather it on! there is a buttery-caramel foodiness that permeates the whole blend with touches of dusty old leather and crumbling paper. it is pleasant but i am not sure i NEED a foody component to the "old books" scent that i love so much in other bpals. it is unique, though, i'll give it that!

This is beautiful.

In the vial: Coffee, Cocoa, Dust

On the skin: Coffee, leather, shortbread cookies

Later: Sitting in a bookstore coffee shop, surrounded by tomes bound in leather, looking out on snow from a dusty, quiet corner. BOTTLE WORTHY.

Yum. A buttery, sugary, vanilla and butterscotch type scent with a hint of leather. The sweetness + leather does smell rather bookish. I love scents like this, where sweetness is paired with a darker note. It's in the same family as Butterscotch & Black Beetles for me.

When I first put on Picture Books in Winter, I thought, “Cool, not something I need to search for a bottle.” Now, I’m looking at my half decant and thinking it won’t be enough! 

Starts off pretty light leather, flower, and light butterscotch or caramel. The longer I wear it the warmth of my skin makes it bloom into a yummy vanillic paper flower, next to a piece of caramel. I get the references to Miskatonic U, but I’m also getting a similar vibe as Snow White. I wonder if the flowers are the same... The leather doesn’t stick around for me, but despite my usual love of leather, I’m so pleased with this scent’s result! 

I’m excited to find more~

I'm in love with this one. ❤️ I don't smell the leather very much (I love leather), but that's okay. The sweet cookie component balances so nicely with the sugared florals and paper. The paper smells more like fresh paper to me than antique: light and smooth, glossy with ink. This, combined with the name of this scent, brings back memories of reading the Trouble With Trolls books around Christmas as a child. :) The flowers in this actually remind me a bit of the candied floral aspect in Fairy Market, which is of course a plus. Underlying it all is that creamy almost-almond thing that I smell in Snow White. The only downsides to this scent are that it doesn't have much throw or longevity on me, but I will definitely cherish my partial bottle.