Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
reynardine

Lick It Now

Every holiday season should be full of lewd suggestions and filthy double entendres, right? This is a new take on past Lick Its - a peppermint candy cane with an extra jolt of sugar, coated in more sugar, with sugar on that sugar.

I'm a fan of the Lick It series. Lick It Now continues the minty goodness tradition, although this one is a bit softer than the last couple of years. It's still very minty, just not slap-your-face minty. A winner!

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I hoard the original Lick It and have tried the later ones over the years. But none of them have ever seemed to quite match the original. Since my Skadi needed traveling companions, I figured it was time to try a new bottle.

In the Bottle: Wow...that's different. Maybe it's a byproduct of trying slightly minty Skadi and then very minty Mother Shub's Unmentionable Peppermint Creams before this, but the candy cane I was expecting isn't there. There's almost a syrupy quality to the sweetness, and a tinge of alcohol that makes me think of peppermint schnapps. But when I sniff my original Lick It from 2005 and Lick It Now side by side, they do seem quite similar, with Lick It Now suggesting a bit more sweetness.

Wet: Nostril-clearing warm mint rises from my wrist. I'm rather astonished how it can be so bracing and yet not chilly at all.

Drydown: The mint calms down a little, but only a little, and the sugar emerges. The sweet candy-cane of the Lick Its comes into full force, still holding onto that odd strong-but-warm mint.

Verdict: Definitely a keeper!

This is the first Lick It I've tried, and I love it!

In the bottle and when initially applied to my skin, this is pure, strong, cold, candy peppermint. That stage doesn't last very long though - after about 10 minutes it turns into this delicious, soft vanilla. It's a very foody vanilla, like the vanilla flavor you'd find in cake or ice cream.

This one is a keeper - the initial minty stage is an awesome headache remedy, and the drydown is a lovely, comforting winter scent to fall asleep to.

Wet in bottle: Yep, that eye watering peppermint!!! In a GOOD way!!

On Skin: Whoa!! Nasal cleansing peppermint! Very strong, but I like a hefty peppermint, only because it seems any mint just evaporates fast from me!

Drydown: Well...the peppermint does settle down now, but it seems to be hanging around! :joy: I have tried one other Lick it scents (I think the 2011 one? ) and it just disappeared on me. Not sure if there is something different than past ones, but this does soften to a nice foody vanilla but I still get the mint radiating off of me, but not eye watering anymore!

If you are like me and love a crisp mint, but your skin eats it, try this version....just might be the one for you!

Edited by Numanoid

In the decant: This really does remind me of a candy cane after it has been licked!

Wet: The mint is rather potent, but it is a soft mint (perhaps the sugar helps round it out). My skin tends to love sugar, so the sugar is becoming more prominent the longer this sits on my skin. The mint is still the very prominent. The spot of skin that I dabbed it on is really chilly now. The mint is lasting a surprisingly long time!

Dry: The mint actually lasts for quite a while, but the drydown is mostly a sugary vanilla scent with a hint of mint. Lovely!

Verdict: I really like this one! I will definitely keep my decant, but whether or not I end up ordering a full bottle depends on how the other Yules fare!

This 2013 version has lots and lots of sugar, quite a bit of peppermint, and just the tiniest amount of vanilla in the drydown. I think there's more than just white sugar in this mix, I thought I detected some spun sugar-cotton candy briefly in the wet stage.

This is quite yummy, although not a favourite of the Lick It series, nor my favourite peppermint scent of this year's Yules (that would be Unmentionable Peppermint Creams). But I will happily hang onto my decant. :yum:

This is delicious, creamy vanilla-y candy cane goodness dusted in powdered sugar. Sweet and chilly, but alas, the mint is gone within an hour, and the remaining hint of vanilla and sugar is very faint. I would've loved a full bottle if only it stuck around.

Mmmm. I am a happy kitten. :3

I remember thinking that Lick It Softly smelled like toothpaste when I put it on. I sniffed it, wrinkled my nose, sniffed it, sniffed it, realized it was getting softer as it dried down ... and then slathered a whole bunch more on. Eventually I realized I was sort of addicted to that bracingly strong mint/toothpaste scent and began a search for a perfume that would give me more of that for longer.

Lick It Now ... is not that scent. Instead, it is a wonderful continuation of the Lick It line that I feel really captures the candy cane scent in a way previous blends have not. When Lick It Softly dries down, it becomes the sweet and sort of dusty vanilla that I recognize from Snake Oil and other blends. When Lick It Now dries down, it stays true to its origins to the end, though as others have mentioned it does sweeten up over time and something like white musk is coming out along with the tiniest hint of vanilla. I love it even if it isn't what I was looking for, and I'm almost definitely going back for more.

I'd recommend this blend for anyone who liked the idea of Lick It blends but was turned off by the toothpastiness of previous blends as well as lovers of soft, white, and vanilla blends.

Peppermint (esp. on wet), loads of sugar, and just a hint of vanilla. It's almost a slightly boozy tinge to it as it dries.

And.... my skin TOTALLY eats this sucker up. BOO. :(

The mint starts out sharp, strong and herbaceous. It softens and sweetens as it dries down with a hint of vanilla. It's somehow both refreshing and comforting!

In the Imp: Woah peppermint. Smells exactly like a candy cane. EXACTLY.

Wet: Whew. Chilly, sinus-clearing peppermint with spun sugar sweetness underneath.

Drydown: Mmm. It goes through a sweetly floral stage, and dries down as a pile of creamy white cane sugar with a fluffy cloud of pink vanilla spun sugar on top. Still retains a tiny bit of that lovely floral.

Verdict: I love this. I really do. Although the drydown may sound completely sickly sugar rush sweet, it honestly isn't. The sweetness is not cloying in any way, it's just gorgeous.

4.5/5

In the decant: Sweet minty goodness. :)

Wet: A tad more minty.

The dry-down: Very minty this year's version, perhaps more spearmint than peppermint, with just enough sweetness to keep the mint in check.

In the imp: PEPPERMINT.

Wet: Wow, this is minty. It actually clears my sinuses when I sniff it. I get a little sweetness, as well.

Dry: This is cool where I applied it on my arm. It sweetens as it dries, and on the back of my hand I get lovely sugared peppermint.

This is very similar to Mother Shub’s Unmentionable Peppermint Creams. When I did a comparison test, Lick It Now won.

In the bottle - Very exactly a peppermint candy cane

Wet on me - More like mint imperials now with the grainy powdery texture of the sugar and that sharp clear mint

Dry on me - Ashes, stale ashes

Overall - Sadly this just turns on my skin

This is somewhere between Lick It Softly and Lick It Vigorously. :laugh: I have both as bottles, so don't need any more. I LOVE Lick it Softly, and I use LIV for when I have a cold, as it clears my nose most excellently. Everyone should have one of these Lick it series...

bright! sugared! vanilla! peppermint! it takes all things vanilla sugar up to bracing new heights. there is a rich purity to the sweetness. sugar as a magic healing power crystal rather than cavity-inducer.

I love lick it now. there's a partial I carry around with me in my bike bag at all times. it banishes headaches, grumpiness, sluggishness and scowls. also, local application instantly soothes bug bites (it also calmed my skin instantly the one time I applied a spicy scent that reddened my skin).

applied to pulse points or in a lotion, it is an amazing antidote to hot sticky humid summer weather.

In the bottle: Sweet, sweet peppermint!

Wet: So much pepperminty goodness. This is the middle of a delicious York peppermint patty!

Dry: Still so much peppermint. But the sugar has come out so much more now. It's the sweetest peppermint ever, lol. This is so wonderful.

While this one's description piles on the sugar, there is ironically not enough vanilla. A very accurate candy cane, but not sweet enough. No burn. Disappears very quickly.

Exactly what it says on the tin. It's extra sweet peppermint candy. It's not the harshness that comes with straight peppermint oil. It's crazy sweet as described and the mint just happily hums along. It's not complicated, but it is nice.

Delightfully sweet peppermint dipped in vanilla. It is glorious on a hot summer day.

Oh this is just like a candy cane, the hard ones that are so prevalent at Christmas. Huffing it chills the nasal passages, just like the first bite of a candy cane when you are done with licking on it and want to finish it off (!). Its so cozy, makes me happily imagine a snowy winter and maybe a return to normal holiday gatherings.

*On a side note, I was testing Baby’s First Krampuslauf up arm and can slide my nose between the two to get layering thoughts and its actually kinda weirdly yummy. The acrid warm smoke from Baby’s First Krampuslauf has an interesting juxtaposition with the cold peppermint. Hmmmmm! 

A frimp from a decant circle with just enough for 1 test. Wet this peppermint candy, fun, but not something I imagine myself wearing, yet once it dries down, I find my tune changing. It's much softer - think of like shifting from hard peppermint candies to those softer, chalkier ones. I think this could be great in summer as a sort of cool down scent, but isn't like bam, Christmas in July (at least once it dries).