Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Old Keturah Zadok's Cranberry Cider

From a 13th century recipe plundered from the vaults of the Zadok family's cellars!

In The Bottle: Oh man. My mouth *actually* watered. Even with the most foodie food scent, that NEVER happens. But this scent has tricked my face into thinking there is delicious cranberry juice hidden inside this tiny perfume bottle! :yum:

Wet On Skin: Okay. It's behaving more like a foodie *perfume* than food now. :lol: Still delicious, but the cider part is making it more of a fragrance than something to eat.

Dry Down: This is a really nice holiday scent. I feel really excited to have this in time for all the festivities this month! It's a perfect blend of raw fresh apple cider and cranberries. It's not a 'hard' cider, there's no ferment or boozy note in here and I find I'm actually glad for it.

In All: The lower end of the medium-throw spectrum, this scent likes to cling and stay close to the skin. In addition to being a must-have for foodies, I would say this is a good addition to the collections of anyone looking for a solid holiday scent to wear to daytime parties and also dinners with friends and family all through the season. I can also see this being a great scent to diffuse into a room with an oil burner.

Total keeper! :wub2:

Yummmm

Wet: Juicy, bright cranberry juice. This smells amazing. So amazing that I bought a bottle on the wet top-note alone at Will-call without dry testing it.

Drydown: Juicy cranberry shifts into spiced cider. Cinnamon? some kind of ultra light floral maybe (or maybe that is the remains of Skadi still on my lower arm?)

Dry: cinnamon & anise, dust?, and a lingering of the bright cranberry in the background

Overall: absolutely wonderful, but two different scents dry and wet. And I like them both. I'm going to experiment with non-skin application (hair or fabric) to retain more of the top note for a longer duration, but the dry scent is still fabulous. I could bathe in this (hint, hint, BFTP)

(edited to add: of all the yules (smelled wet), this is by far my favorite)

UPDATE: SKIN REACTION. Beware if you have sensitive skin to test this on a less-visible part of your body. My arms aren't normally sensitive (do fine with Chimera for example), but are now BRIGHT red and burning from this. This makes me so sad :( And ummm ouch

Edited by khemistry

From the bottle it smells like juicy juice cranberry juice. Sweet, tart, and cranberry.

Wet on skin it is shocking cranberry and heady cinnamon.

Dry it smells almost identical to glade's apples and cinnamon plug in air freshener. I don't mind smelling like glade, but I wish that this scent's front runner would be the cranberry cider with an afterthought of spice. Just how cider hits the palette.

In bottle: That is very much cranberry cider. The cranberry is strongest, a slash of bright red over apple fizz. Wet: It is extremely cranberry on my skin, with the fizz softer than in the bottle, which suits my taste. This is beautifully tart. Yum! Dry: Christmas spices and cranberries.

In bottle: WHOA...yes, that is some serious cranberry juice!! Tart yet sweet. To me, there is a hint of fizziness, not a lot, just a whisper.

On Skin: Very juicy and festive cranberry! Really does make me instantly think of a giant glass punch bowl at a Christmas party filled to the brim!

Drydown: This does fade to a lovely and soft cranberry...just pure cranberry. I get an oh so slight powder from it, but not in a bad way. Keeps it tamed down very nicely. Low throw to me, but very festive. Perfect for wear going to the office Christmas party! :)

Wet: very bright cranberry! Maybe what my nose interprets as 'chemical' is what everyone else things is fizz?

Dry: All the spices! I can't even pick them apart, they're so well blended, with a nice sharp dry cranberry note behind it. Bright but not too foody, and not overwhelming. Yum.

In the vial: An extremely vivid replication of actual cranberry juice.

Wet: The bright cranberry note sort of smoothes out into a generic "red fruit" smell. it's a bit like mixed berry koolaid. While wet and at least 30 minutes in the throw was very noticeable.

Dry: As the spices come out - nothing I can pick out individually - this borders on Christmas craft store candle, and reminds me of Frumious Bandersnatch. I say borders, because it never fully goes there, but sort of hovers between sweet red fruit and spicy candle. This has sweetened a lot in the drydown, and two hours later become a skin scent with little to no throw.

Cranberry, cider, and cinnamon. This one borders on a Christmas craft store to me, but its juicy sweet red fruit and spicy cider.

Tasty!

In the imp: Cherry vitamin. O_o

Wet on skin: Juicy cherry vitamin?

Dried down: Ok, I'm getting a bit of that cinnamon craft store scent an above reviewer was talking about.

Throw: Almost none.

Verdict: *** Eh. Not bad, but I could do without it.

This is a cranberry version of Fearful Pleasure, to me.

Dark tart cranberry juice mulled with a mix of rich spices. A little thick and heavy and not overly sweet. Decent throw and lasting power.

I quite like this as a foody holiday scent, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually reach for it, so I think I'll be satisfied with just a decant. Definitely my favorite of the foody Yules this year, and not quite like anything else with the strong, prominent cranberry note.

In the bottle: Cranberry cider, oh boy!

Wet: Even more cidery! (Is that a word? Well, it is now. *grins*)

The dry-down: If this was a real cranberry cider, I'd be drinking it! Good job, Beth! :)

In the bottle - A dry fizzy apple scent with just a hint of tart cranberry

Wet on me - I smell like a bag of haribo, backed with a slightly dry fizziness that's a bit like tonic water

Dry on me - Sweet sugared berries with that smooth dry fizz in the background

Overall - I love this, even if I do think it's more like a cosmopolitan than cider

Sweet, juicy cranberry at first. As it dries, the spices come out, so it's a sweet, spicy cranberry cider scent. This is just a little bit too sweet on me, and I wish the cranberry were a bit more tart.

oh wow, this is sweet. I can smell the cranberry, but it’s a candied cranberry. It smells a bit artificial, like the little girls’ berry perfumes usually do. It’s not unpleasant, though.

Honestly, my nose is very undecided on this one.