Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
The Poison Queen

Eldritch Drunken Constellations

We went out into the moonless and tortuous network of that incredibly ancient town; went out as the lights in the curtained windows disappeared one by one, and the Dog Star leered at the throng of cowled, cloaked figures that poured silently from every doorway and formed monstrous processions up this street and that, past the creaking signs and antediluvian gables, the thatched roofs and diamond-paned windows; threading precipitous lanes where decaying houses overlapped and crumbled together, gliding across open courts and churchyards where the bobbing lanthorns made eldritch drunken constellations.

Dizzying, swirling, starry madness: eucalyptus sap, white tea leaf, and ambergris foam.

In the bottle: Ooooh. This is LOVELY, it brings to mind an aquatic Herbert West for me. Oooh!

Wet: Strong tea with a hint of reanimation agent. This is a seriously lovely scent, I am so surprised!

Dry: definitely Herbert West and tea. This is a multibottle for us!

ITB: Although it isn't present, it smells very strongly of lemon zest and tea.

Wet: It's still fairly zesty, but I'm picking up a slight tone of eucalyptus and then something that is just a tad softer under the tea, which might be the ambergris foam.

Dry: This is very much a strongly scented white floral tea now. The eucalyptus adds a pleasantly clean and astringent quality to the scent while the ambergris foam tones everything down into a soft and thoughtful blend. It actually reminds me of a combination of Fresh's Citron de Vigne layered over their Sugar Lemon (but without the sugar note).

Right off the bat I can smell s crisp glittery aquatic. The eucalyptus and ambergris are silvery and maybe remind me a bit of grapefruit zest. The white tea gives it a clean edge. Overall it's soft and fresh and will be great when the hotter temps roll around.

I'm getting a clean white tea base with the perfumey kick of ambergris. After a few minutes an unfamiliar zesty greenness comes through, which must be the eucalyptus.

The white tea reminds me of The Torture Queen, but the ambergris is much stronger here than in TTQ, making this a bolder and perhaps slightly more masculine blend. I'm really enjoying this one.

White tea and ambergris. This one is a very strong white tea blend.

Although, I think that in general I tend to amp up white tea, since the Unsteady Governess also had a particularly strong white tea note.

Cool, aquatic, delicious.

Wet: Bright, shimmery, crisp, and frothy. Reminiscent of Embalming Fluid, but without the lemon candies vibe.

Drydown/Dry: A clean, refreshing aquatic with a touch of sophistication added by the tea. Simply delightful. I think many noses would like this.

If you’re into Embalming Fluid, Herbert West, or even Dorian, this would be a good one to check out.

8 out of 10 bones

In the decant: The white tea note is the most prominent. There is a hint of something lemony as well.

Wet: The white tea is definitely there, and the lemon note is a lot stronger on my skin than it was in the decant. The lemon note seems to be stronger than the tea note at the moment. The spot on my skin on which I applied this feels a bit cool, and I think that must be the eucalyptus sap. The cooling effect seems to be getting stronger the longer this sits on my skin, but it's very light and refreshing.

Dry: It is becoming more aquatic now as the ambergris foam has become the dominant note. The tea note and the lemon note are still present, and the eucalyptus sap adds a nice coolness to the scent.

Verdict: I enjoyed this during the wet phase, but I'm not as fond of the drydown. I think I will keep the decant to wear on a warm summer day, but I don't need a bottle.

To me this smells like all the things I love about Y'ha-Nthlei and Shanghai got together and had babies. And it was a joyous occasion especially for me. The things I smell most strongly are the eucalyptus and tea and what smells extremely citrusy to me - Lemon/lime? I get almost no ambergris from this, other than as a stabilizing element on the drydown. I bought two bottles of this, that's how wonderful it is! (if you're into eucalyptus, anyway. :) )

Ohh, this is amazing! Lots and lots of white tea, with the eucalyptus bringing some shine and the ambergris adding an aquatic note. It reminds me a lot of Embalming Fluid and Whitechapel, but without the lemon/citrus that made them both a bit too sharp.. and it reminds me a bit of Dorian, too.

If Dorian is a guy being super cuddly and affectionate, Eldritch Drunken Constellations is the same guy all cleaned up, dressed in his nicest suit, taking you out for a night of dinner and dancing. They're not really similar in feel at all, since one is snuggly and warm and one is cool and charming... but they're kind of two sides of the same idea. And I'd take both of them home with me, if you know what I mean and I think you do. :lol:

Love this one :wub2: wet: light herbal white tea. Dry: strong white tea with an effervescent citrus tone which I think is the ambergris and eucalyptus working together. This is a wonderful blend that I am extremely happy I picked...I think I have been disappointed with other tea blends that I wanted to smell like this, but ended up being some fruity tea drink scent instead.

Yep, just as everyone has said-- lots of crisp white tea, slightly sweet, quite subtle eucalyptus adding a hint of shine, and a dash of slightly salty ambergris. I swear there is lemon in this it's just so clean and fresh. The ambergris, as it always does for me, dries down to a lovely salty musk.

I don't find this as sweet as Dorian, and yeah it's probably most like Embalming Fluid. I bought a bottle unsniffed based on reviews, and it's true to description. Lovely and clean without being soapy or too masculine.

In the bottle: A white tea w/ eucalyptus and ambergris.

Wet: More like the lemony tea note in Dorian.

The dry-down: That lemon note is blending back into what I 1st sniffed. This is a cousin to Dorian and will be a perfect spring and summer scent, whether at a garden party or at work--times and places that you want to have a delicate scent. :)

I was drawn to eldritch drunken constellations by the name and description, but assumed from seeing eucalyptus listed among the notes that the scent itself would be too pungent, camphoraceous, or medicinal for me to enjoy wearing it. I was wrong. completely off-base.

this is bright and beautiful. the eucalyptus is gentle and, ah, strangely creamy?? and lightly citrusy. the scent is well-blended and I'm not really smelling the notes so much as I am the wonderful whole. energizing and refreshing. a little salty. not too much, just enough.

it has a nice throw and lasts.

bright and clean and swirling and lovely. my favorite surprise from the yules. I want to wear it on explorations and adventures.

The ambergris is nicely smooth and holding this together. It starts off really bright with the eucalyptus and turns lightly lemony. Overall this is nice, but I don't think it beats out Country of Eternal Light (icy wind, depth hoar, and frost-limned lichen) and I have a bottle.

Good stuff.

This is basically Embalming Fluid without the lemon. I'm not getting the violet leaf here. Fresh, very nice and would be great for summer. If you don't like lemon and find EF too lemony, give this a whirl. I find it too similar, it's almost a dead ringer. There are so many Yules this year that smell to much like something else.

This is so fresh and uplifting and shiny. It has a little bite from the white tea and eucalyptus but at the same time it's watery and smooth. I could smell this on my hoodie the day after wearing it and the way it clung to my sweatshirt was just amazing. I fell for it a little more than I already had.

Initially there's a lot of white tea so it's tart and a little green. The eucalyptus doesn't compete too much, it blends with the tea and just makes the whole blend a little brighter and more crisp. I don't always go for the fresh/clean/citrus/lemon blends but this really has me in a vice. I think it's the ambergris. It just adds this gorgeous, sensuous undertone. It's not sweet exactly, but similar. It all becomes more of a lightly masculine cologne with hints sexy resin later on. I don't know how else to describe that strange base other than as a resin. Regardless, it's amazing.

Aw, hello little baby Y'ha-Nthlei. Constellations smells like a much lighter version of Y'ha to me. It has a sparkling quality that smells like citrus (I'd say grapefruit) + a soft ambergris. The white tea and eucalyptus give it a watery and refreshing background.

It's very pretty but SO light. I have to get my nose about an inch away to smell it (even when slathered), and that combined with its similarity to the more noticeable Y'ha makes me don't think I need more.

Bottle: Fresh green/white citrus. It smells like a mix between lemon and grapefruit to me although I know neither are listed in the notes.

Wet: Much of the same green/white citrus. I suspect it's the eucalyptus and white tea mix. Really not sensing much of the ambergris although there is something grounding and musky?

Dry: There's almost a creamy aquatic aspect to this now. It's warming up the bright sharpness this had before. I'm not sure if this is the ambergris or not. It's too subtle for my uninformed nose to really know but it smells musky and almost on the verge of spicy. Perhaps that's how my nose is interpreting the salt?

All in all, a really lovely clean, unassuming scent. Very summery. The white/green is so bright and does bring to mind stars while the ambergris gives these stars a strange hint of mysterious underwater depths. I only wish this had a bit more throw on me. I feel I have to have my wrists up to my face to really appreciate it. I don't at all regret purchasing a bottle but I'd be more likely to buy another if only I didn't feel the need to slather so.

Edited by SimplySyra