Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black amber erupting with a dark volcanic surge of fiery dragon's blood and a burst of melati, rose geranium, mandarin and black currant.

Wet: Very fruity! Much more...cheerful? than I expected "Rage" to be. And floral; rose geranium is pouring out of the imp and it makes me nervous.

First on: It's like a deep, rich, fruity red wine. I really like this aspect to it, but there is still a distinctive "perfumey" floral element that I'm not sure about.

Dry: It dries down and the rose geranium mellows. Really quite lovely, like fruit blossoms! Not rageful at all. :P Edited by Shollin

Well, I wanted an angry, wrathful scent. You know, for when I'm in those moods. This ain't it.

However, Rage IS gorgeous. In the vial, it smells vaguely fruity, but almost in a medicinal way.

When first applied to my skin, I get a burst of something sharp and spicy, perhaps its the black amber. Is that the rage? If it is, its like my temper, quick and easy to placate. After the initial sharp burst, this tones down to a well balanced beauty. I can detect the dragons blood but it's gently enhanced by the fruits and florals.

With wear, the scent warms, almost smolders. But it never does quite reach the level of rage. Its almost lusty, but a seething, repressed kind of lust that is kept hidden.

For those who might have avoided Rage because they feared it might be too wrathful, give it a try. Its very lovely. As for me, I'll keep looking for that angry scent.

On me, Rage does smell pretty wrathful, but it's like IT'S mad at ME. The combination of black amber and ... I think it's the rose geranium ... ends up turning to bug spray on me. Not pleasant. My skin is not really amber-friendly, though, so it's not too surprising.

Edited by karen

Whoa! This is amazing, not at all what I expected. This amber is very dark indeed, a deep incense base with a hint of dragon's blood and some spicy, spicy florals on top of that. Melati is jasmine, near as I can tell.

The overall impression is one of vivid energy. This has an almost menthol note to it, way back in the mix, like cherry Robitussin. Almost metallic. I'm guessing that's the dragon's blood mixed with the currant and the mandarin, but I could be totally off.

This isn't a pretty scent, but it's very visceral and vivid. The jasmine is really the only "kind" note here; the melati smooths everything out just enough to make it bearable.

Once it settles and that menthol note backs down a bit, this is a really interesting, deep scent that is at once sweet and resinous. The currant is sticky and rich way underneath everything else, and I'm coming to realize that I tend to love blends that contain it. It lends some wonderful depth.

I was already a bit angry when I put this on, so I can't speak to its tendency to cause anger from an otherwise neutral start. I can, however, speak to its tendency to make me keep sniffing myself over a period of several hours! I got an imp of this for the dragon's blood and amber that play so beautifully with my skin in other blends; indeed, this is basically Blood Amber diluted a bit with more floral and fruit notes, which for me steer the scent a little bit more toward kittenish-sexy than tigress-about-to-eat-you sexy! I do get something musky or smokey from Rage, which is probably the amber; the citrus and florals make this, despite the name, less aggressive than Blood Amber, more something I could safely wear out to dinner with my husband AND other people. (I was about to write that sometimes, you want a fragrance to be less "penetrating," but in context, that just seemed wrong.)

In the imp - Sweet and dark and fruity. This is a lovely rich orangy-red oil.

Wet - Definite resin base although at this point I can't tell it has any Dragon's Blood. Dry....and hold on :P jasmine rearing its head and stomping over everything else.

Drydown - On wearing the Dragon's Blood rises a little and there is a slight tartness from the blackcurrant I suspect, but on the whole it's jasmine all the way and it just doesn't like me at all!

Off to swaps.

I’m not really feeling the combination of spicy dragon’s blood and citrusy mandarin in this blend. With my body chemistry, the mandarin is so sweet and cheerful that this blend doesn’t really live up to it’s name! :P Oh well, I have other dragon’s blood scents that I love. Off to swaps for this one.

I also put this on when mad, but it isn't making me feel more angry... perhaps more powerful and in control is the right feeling. definitely not a loss of control like "rage" might envision.

in the bottle, it turned me off. one of the notes just didn't seem to do right by me. I decided to hold onto it for the name when I'm in a bad mood.

on the skin: at first it's dark and unusual. I can't place it. a soapy asian floral.

it dries into a sweet babypowder. not bad, but not in my top picks.

On my skin I get the sweet sticky amber resin smeared with mandarin and blackcurrant... the dragon's blood adds a spicy-floral kick, and there's more floral to be had from the rose geranium and melati. Altogether this is a fruity-floral blend with a perfumy heady quality. Something about it reminds me of my grandmother's Dior Poison.

It's an interesting and even beautiful scent, but definitely not my style.

Mandarin and currants, geranium, sweetly floral dragon's blood and deep black amber. Dried, the amber blossoms and becomes rich and thick, and the dragon's blood finally tempers down. I think Wrath smells more like "rage" than rage, this is a very sweet scent on me.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Rage was just patchouli. I don't know where that came from. Dry, it's a hint of dragon's blood (plumeria on my skin), mandarin, and maybe black currant. Rage is nice (though too pretty to live up to its name) but it's really light. I'll keep it around for now.

This was one of the first imps I tried and very influential in helping me recognize notes that don't go well with me. Amber usually always turns strongly perfumed and powdery. Dragon's Blood turns to cherry soap. Heavy florals give me a headache. Additionally, black currant reminds me of cassis, which I'm not fond of. I'm sure this could be lovely on someone who isn't me.

Wet: hello, florals. Dry: amber perfumed floral of death. With cassis. Shudder.

Rage is being discontinued? Oh, hell. May need to pick up a bottle when I place my order next week.

That said:

In bottle: tangy and dry.

On skin: more of an alcohol note—and I mean rubbing alcohol, here. I was *not* optimistic.

2 min: okay, saved. The spiciness of dragon's blood and the black amber are coming out and mixing. It's fading in and out—never very strong, sometimes amber, sometimes DB and blackcurrant...

15 min: DB, with a background of slightly floral amber. Except that in the space of an elevator ride, it suddenly turns to solid amber floral. And now the sharper fruity notes are coming out, mandarin and a *trace* of DB... It's good. And it really *does* evoke the idea of rage, that shrieking angry sweet sensation that's signalled by the vicious humourless grin that's really just showing your teeth. But it's all over the map, I need to give it a few minutes to calm down.

30 min: Amber, faint undercurrent of DB, light garland of fruit and flowers. Really gotten quite faint.

1 hr: Amber with a rich floral/DB undertone. It's actually really nice; smells like the sort of incense that would be burning in a richly draped and candlelit room somewhere in a 60s fantasy novel. Opulent, decadent, and slightly Machiavellian. Sticks around for at least another four hours, occasionally giving off flashes of spice or fruit.

Love and coffee,

Frances

This is an interesting one. Fruity amber in the imp, absorbed immediately into my skin. I'm kinda glad I don't like it since it's being discontinued. Doesn't remind me of rage at all, unless it's the type of rage that simmers inside you quietly.

In the imp: whoa, dragon's blood - and....chocolate over it? There's not chocolate in this, is there?

It's the same on my skin - it smells like a blend of dragon's blood and chocolate.

When it dried, this changed quite a bit, and I was surprised; the geranium and amber make it much smoother and sweeter, but the dragon's blood keeps it grounded and rich. It's not something I like enough to get a bottle of, even if it's being discontinued, but it's not bad at all.

Mmm, a warm, red, silky-spicy scent. I don't like dragon's blood, so I give the mandarin and black currant the credit for helping things. Never would have guessed that melati is a type of jasmine, but I get a touch of that too. Not too much throw, not nearly as aggressive as most of us on here were expecting. Not chocolaty, not too floral, slightly headachy but that goes away pretty quickly. May need to get a bottle - I liked this a lot more than I thought I would!

Wet... ack. Toilet cleaner.

On the drydown, a kind of berry smell pokes through, but it still smells... almost medicinal. I wish I liked this, but I don't. :P

I forgot that I got an imp of this in my quest for all things dragon's blood, and just realized it's one of the blends that's being discontinued. Tested it tonight.

The best I can describe it on my skin is scratch-and-sniff stickers that were supposed to smell like chocolate, the kind that teachers would put on the top of my papers in grade school. It's fairly mild, and definitely doesn't bring to mind rage...more what you'd use to CALM the rage. Nothing like chocolate to put you in a better mood? :P

Might sell this one, not really my thing.

Imp: Black amber and dragon's blood

Wet: Permanent markers, rotting diapers (must be the amber --tends to do that on my skin), and a hint of mandarin oranges.

Drydown: Just down to faded permanent markers and diapers. *sigh*

Dry: ...same as the drydown, alas.

My rating: 1/5. Note that this is purely because of my bizarro skin chemistry, YMMV. The wet scent was nice enough.

imp: hmmm...? vetiver? that's not listed in the notes...

wet: this smells like a light, smoky vetiver over dusty fruits.

dry: okay... now it's smelling more like amber or myrrh with fruit rather than smoky and ashy. unusual.

Trying Rage...boy is that one not what I thought it would be!! It has SOME note in it that is slightly reminiscent of the way Quincy Morris smells on Hubby. I noticed it in Devil's Claw too. *ponderponderponder*

It later morphs some and develops a quality that is slightly like sweet birch (which I don't care for, generally). But it is still pretty nice as that note has not yet overwhelmed anything.

Rage was not at all how I thought it would be either! The first whiff when I put it on screamed "Hippie!" It smelled thickly like incense. As it dried, its still very incensy, but I smell something in there now that says "Rage." Its quiet though, and a cold rage, not the burning thing that I thought it would be. Its like someone holding all of their anger in and waiting for revenge. Its not my type of scent, but for anyone who likes the more incensey scents, you would probably really like Rage.

Received this as a frimp from the Lab and slathered it on this morning without looking at the description ... good thing, too because countless BAAAD encounters with dragon's blood (daemonorops or any other variations) have made me avoid the note like the plague. The bad boy was very apparent during the wet phase and had me wrinkling my nose in disgust. Along comes the DD to distract me from washing it off ... another good thing because while sitting at my desk later I kept getting whiffs of something pleasant - Rage! It's the mellowest, meekest rage I've ever encountered. Nicely fruity, mildly floral and the dragon's blood is tamed. I don't love it enough to buy a 5 ml, but it has opened up a whole lot of perfume options that I previously had avoided.

In the imp: Very resinous and hot - not nearly as sweet as I was expecting.

Wet: Resins with an almost acrid tinge - I could swear there's vetiver in this. I was expecting sweetness or at least some fruitness, but I get neither. This scent is hot and angry and very dangerous. After a while, the florals peek out, as well as a bit of fruit, but this is still a dark, burning, angry scent.

Dry: Predominantly black currant, but I swear I still smell vetiver. This scent kind of makes me uncomfortable.