Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black amber erupting with a dark volcanic surge of fiery dragon's blood and a burst of melati, rose geranium, mandarin and black currant.

Imp: Sweet and warm.
On me: Very flowery. Where's the rage?
Impression: Too cheery for its name.
Verdict: Geranium and jasmine with all the joy sticky power of dragon's blood and amber. But I don't wanna have it stick to me. Blerg.

:P

boo/hiss.......why in the hell is rage all floral and ick on me..........*gag*......

do not dig.....that damn jasmine has gone nutty....

off to the swap pile it goes.........*shudder*........

Aww, yuck

Yuck Yuck

I thought this would be similar to bloodlust

It is not, jasmine and rose geranium and I really don't even smell the dragon's blood.

bleh, floral and powdery .

In the imp: This is sweeter than I expected from the description and I'm not getting "fiery" at all. In fact, I'm a little dubious of this scent because it smells more like an old lady perfume than anything I would normally wear or order. I can pick out the melati (which I understand is a variety of jasmine) note, and some underlying sweetness which I suspect is that mandarin. I'm curious to see how the dragon's blood develops after yesterday's go-round with Blood, so I'll try it despite my misgivings.

Wet: Whew. I don't think this will be my thing. This is very floral on my skin, and I honestly can't detect the dragon's blood under the melati and the rose geranium. I'm hoping these fade, or I may have to go wash. I've already sneezed three times.

Dry down: Thank goodness. As time has gone on the florals have faded and the amber has risen to the surface. I no longer smell the sweet note of the mandarin. This has become spicy and resinous. That shouldn't surprise me since my skin tends to retain and amplify resin scents, but in this case it does because those florals were so strong when wet. I can still smell just the slightest hint of the melati, but it's a spicy floral and not a sweet one. I never have detected the dragon's blood. It totally disappeared under the florals and the amber. After the first twenty minutes of wear, this no longer made me sneeze, so that's a plus. It reminds me of some strongly scented powder my mother used back in the 70's. Taboo maybe? This scent has also faded incredibly quickly. I think it has the least staying power of any of the bpals I've tried to date. Several reviewers over in the forums noted that this developed into a soapy smell on their skin and, after it faded on me, I understood what they meant. When I use a strong deodorant soap my skin maintains it all day if you put your nose right up to me and sniff, but it's not detectable is you're less than an inch from my skin. Rage faded just like that. It's not unpleasant, and it's a nice clean smell, but it doesn't dazzle the senses.

Final verdict: In the end the scent was pretty non-offensive to my nose, but it didn't "zing!" for me the way my favorite bpals do. I think this pretty much proved to me that I haven't been lying when I say that I just don't do well with florals, no matter what they're mixed with. It was a good learning experience, but to the swap pile it goes...

in the bottle: this is very flowery, kind of cool.

wet on skin: where's the dragon's blood? All I'm getting is florals.

dry: This warmed up a bit as amber made its entrance, with a slight gingery quality to it. My co-worker really liked this, so I think I'm going to give her the imp and make yet another helplessly addicted convert. :P

Rage? This scent doesn't seem angry at all. Unless you consider florals and fruit to be angry...

Rage does not work at all on me. To start with it is all musky jasmine and rotten/sour dragon's blood. It's a sickening smell. Very strong and threatening to give me a headache.

After about an hour, the currant and mandarin come out and I wish that the florals would disappear entirely, because I think that the currant and mandarin would be lovely on their own. Sweet orange and a sort of dark cherry scent are mingling together. Only to be swallowed up by the florals again after a while :P. Then, after the floral smells murdered the fruit, the whole blend took on a soapy smell. I had to just throw in the towel and wash it off at that point.

I would never associate this smell with rage. The florals make my head pound though... it's definitely not a scent that works well with my skin chemistry.

Very earthy and strong. Flowers and Dragon's Blood, all jumbled together. There's a bitterness that isn't getting along well with me. Maybe I'll try it again later on, but it's not a keeper right now.

In imp: It smacked me in the face with strong, dark fruitiness.

Wet, on skin: Dark, musky, sweet fruit - yummy.

Near drydown: Smoky, sweet, peppery - fantastic, but fills me with the opposite of rage.

Middle and far drydown: Soft, sweet, musk and smoke. No sillage. Very faint.

Won't re-purchase, because no staying power on my skin, but quite lovely while it lasts. Also, this is the first time I didn't get what Beth was trying to say with this blend.

Rage sure sums it up, a black and burning rage. I can tell the Dragon's blood is in here. For me, that means it is heavy, dark, bitter-spicy, beginning-to-turn floral, not-goodness. No sweetness, no fruitiness, and I can't tell you how it developed, because within 10 minutes, I had to wash it off. If you like Dragon's Blood, you'll like this. If it doesn't agree with you, I don't think this is a blend to try. I will be swapping my imp.

Edited by empi girl

This is my first time smelling Dragon's blood~exciting!! Well, it is my first time for melati too!

Bottle

The first impression is a very sultry musk. This might be too musky for me, but only one way to find out!

Wet

Ack! Gotta break out the coffee beans again! Sometimes these strong bottle impressions leave my nose numb for the next step!

I put a double application on....the musk is SO subtle on me. This is a lot more delicate than I expected. After a few minutes I was able to distinguish that the musk is a touch more acrid than usually. It is interesting, but not different enough from other scents that I feel compelled to rave.

My husband says it smells fantastic and like inscense.

Dry

This grew on me, enough to warrent a second chance. My senses are all wonky right now and I can barely smell/taste my own tea so I figure something is not up to speed. This smells like a softer namaste to me. Not very rage-ish as at all.

In the imp, I get roses & not much else. On, the roses quickly turn to...jasmine :l Goes through a short period of powdery sweet dragon's blood & then....jasmine. Granted, it's not a heavyscreamingjasmine, but jasmine nonetheless. Nothing else *sigh*....

Evil jasmine, wants to own me. I've also come to the sad realization that BPAL's dragon's blood refuses to work on me. Goes all powdery jasmine or gardenia on my skin. Wth is THAT about?? blah. :P

This smells a lot like Blood Kiss to me, but slightly more soapy and candy like. A bit of a strange combination...I'm sticking with Blood Kiss.

preconceived notion: RANT WANK CENTRAL. I am seriously anticipating that this scent will give me road rage (and, more likely, net rage) and have planned accordingly. To countermand this, I will play soothing music from Secret Garden.

in the imp: Altogether, the result of this explosive fury gives me the impression of: chocolate lilacs. LILACS. Beware the Ides of Lilacs. The chocolate bit is kind of a dusty cocoa and the lilacs waver suspiciously like a mirage, the dragon's blood undernote flitting in and out of the frame seductively. And, sniffing it the bottle one more time, I am struck with a third and most powerful association: this smells EXACTLY LIKE CHRISTMAS PUDDING. And I should know, because I had some just two days ago.

Fuck. I'm enraged now, if only because this is the most Care Bear scent I've come across and it's called "Rage." To this I say O RLY and NO WAI.

wet: chocolate dragon's blood. Yes, I know: inexplicable.

drydown: okay, now this is really warm and dragon's blood-y and reminds me of French Love. And the only rage I get out of it is the WHITE HOT RAGE OF HOTTNESS.

verdict: tragically misnamed, but I love it.

post-conceived notion: I am seriously in need of a good lilac scent. This one teased me a bit but left me fundamentally unsatisfied in my quest. I have, however, recently found a website that interests me: http://www.highlandlilac.com./ . It's not BPAL but I'm going to totally give it a shot.

This is really, really metallic on first application, sharp and acrid to my nose. After a bit, however, it becomes a strong floral, and I think I can smell the dragon's blood. The geranium is dominant, though, and the sweetness of the fruit.

A while later, the scent takes an odd turn on me. The sweetness disappears, and it becomes wilting flowers and faint herbs. It started out lovely and powerful, but became rather passive. Sigh.

This blend screams FIRE and BRIMSTONE! I have a lot of the fire element in me, so I LOVE this blend!

I want to bathe in this. It smells like REAL fresh dragon's blood resin (quite different from the Dragon's Blood bpal blend) and asofoetida and sulfur. Just like the anger powder I made from a magickal formulary to help me release pent up anger.

Very fiery, when I first sniffed it, it was the epitome of red red rage. uncontrollable and feral.

5ml!!

In bottle: Dark. It smells like a 'classic' traditional perfume, but it's been darkened and stripped down to be reformed as something slightly sinister. Amber that smells different than usual- much less golden-warm and nearly-fruity - and jasmine dominate, while the fruit notes seem almost peach-like.

On me: On the skin this becomes almost a pure...jasmine? With all the other notes in the blend, that certainly wasn't expected. Jasmine does tend to amp up on my skin tho'.

frimp from the lab.

In the bottle: I hate it. Honestly it reminds me of Walgreens and bad medicinal perfumes. I smell the jasmine and what I thought was oakmoss, but rereading the description, that shouldn't be in there. No currants or amber.

Wet on skin: I have to give them all a try! Jasmine amped up on my skin. Medicinal. Very powdery amber in the backround. I can't stand it.

Washed it off. Just not right for my skin.

Although Rage has amber in it, this black amber varient is much darker than the stuff I'm normally used to. Rage is bitingly dark; Blood Amber this ain't. The heavier notes (black patchouli, or am I way off?) make me think of a black volcano spewing Rage-fragrance out in the land of Moldor.

Ah, there's the jasmine note. Oddly, the lava is now soapy jasmine lava.

I don't think Rage is quite the rage with me. I don't see myself wearing this often, if at all. It isn't an intensely repellent scent, just not my thing.

-doreen

This was a frimplet from the Lab. I wonder if Beth was snickering any when she packed in my deadly trio of anger-related scents. I snickered when I opened the box. :P

It's a good thing this one was tucked in there, because Wrath and Malice both broke my heart.

Bottle: Fruity? Interesting. I'm discovering I wear fruity things better than I initially thought.

Wet: I can smell that rose geranium. Very sharp, not altogether unpleasing. If there is amber in this, it's hard to tell...normally amber goes all warm and sultry and golden on me. This is sharper. This is fangs bared and a low growl rumbling.

Settling down: Wow, this one transitions quickly. COMPLETELY different scent from the wet. This one loves my skin. That rich biting sweet currant and the glowing mandarin are simply BLOOMING on my skin. I still don't smell the amber as anything more than a softening edge to the currant so that it's not TOO fruity. But this is positively delicious. I can see the Rage in this. This is a Rage I identify with, that sweet glowing smile I give people when I'm moving in for the kill. God, this is delicious. I can't stop smelling my wrist.

Drydown: That fruity edge has remained, and the amber is a little more prominent. Oh, yes, yes, I like this one. It just glows on my skin, like a hot ember preparing to explode. It is sweet, and bright--much like I myself am right before I go OFF on someone.

I'm so, so glad Beth included this one in my last order. I might never have noticed it otherwise, and I'm so glad I have it now. This one just BEGS for me to wear it to work so I can be passive-aggressive in my hatred of the vacuum and the stupid shit I have to do. :D

This was all dragon's blood resin on me, which meant I had to wash it off straight away as that particular resin turns to a floral monster on me and gives me migraines. :P

I like this quite a lot more than I thought I would. I had it on my wish list at one point, for the amber, mandarin and blackcurrant, but ended up taking it off when I realized how sweet dragon's blood tends to go on me, and that that with the florals would probably be a hellishly sweet combination. But as it happened, an imp of it came my way from a friend who ordered it and didn't like it.

On first contact, it did indeed go very floral -- the melati (a type of jasmine, I think) and rose geranium come on pretty strong to start with. But even then, it's got a bit of a warm, incensey undercurrent that tones it down a bit. And the floral blast doesn't really last too long -- within about 10 minutes, the florals have faded down in the mix to a reasonable level, the fruit notes have made themselves known, and the very Blood Amber-like base is blending everything together nicely.

The overall effect is sort of equal parts fruity, floral and incensey -- quite sweet, but not to an unpleasant extent. It's a very warm and heady scent, and feels very summery to me. A mix of flower gardens in full bloom, lush fruit that's almost a touch overripe, and sweet incense. It has a bit of a sultry, decadent feel, almost like Gypsy Queen though not as complex or mysterious.

In short, definitely a keeper! But not at all like it's name -- this is a pretty, happy-making scent, not a raging one, at least on me.

Grade: B+

Rage

In the imp: currant with a hint of dragon's blood, and tangy mandarin.

Wet on skin: whoa, this is intense, almost medicinally sharp…I smell dragon's blood and currant, predominantly.

Dry on skin: after that sharp spike of scent, it smoothes out a bit once dry. I think I smell the geranium now, I think that's what's calming the scent a bit. Oh yeah, that's geranium alright…and I loves me some geranium! The currant is there, adding it's darkly juicy tang to the scent. The dragon's blood isn't as strong now, and I think I get sweet, dark amber at the back.

After a while: it's not long before this smoothes out even more into one of those well rounded autumnal fruit scents with a hint of spice, and in here, with geranium. I also get something almost vetiver-y, and with the dragon's blood, this brings to mind a more toned down Serpent's Kiss. And the currant is gorgeous in here, I think it's merged nicely with the amber.

Over time, I still get that soft vetiver tinge to the scent. It's a lot smoother now, with the currant, geranium and amber all very nicely merged, there's also a warm, smoky feel to the scent.

Verdict: it's funny. Considering my fiery temperament, I was surprised to smell that when Rage hit my skin, it became 'anger managed', so to speak. (but then again, it seems to be that way for a lot of the reviews here too!) It's sharp and intensely red when freshly applied, but mellows down so nicely when wet. I also love the geranium note in here-this is one of the very few BPALs where I can really pick this note out, and that's good, I love geranium anyway. It adds a smooth, warm, floral-lemon-herbal tone to the scent, mixing nicely with the juicy, plump currants and the sweet dark amber. the scent becomes rounder and more coherent over time, but I do get an unexpected surprise-a vetiver note. it's not in the note description but my vetiver locating and magnifying skin picks it out…it's not a strong vetiver but it adds a darker, gritty undercurrent. I like this scent a lot more than I expected, but I was sort of hoping it would smell 'angrier' on me, like it's name implies!

To sum it up in a smiley: it should be :P but it was more :D

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the imp and wet on my skin, I get spicy currant on a background of dragaon'sblood and deep dark amber! I am not a big fan of dragon's blood because my skin amps it and usually turns it into a sickly sweet scent.

As Rage dries down, the dragon's blood is fading to the back ground. I am now able to amell the mandrin as well as the black currant and they are blending very nicely with the amber... yum!

Completely dried down, Rage is a very complex scent. The prominent notes are the currant and mandarin with a hint of geranium. They are supported on a background of rich, dark amber, and a hint dragons blood. Surprisingly, the jasmine scent of the melati is very very faint but it's there to be smelled if you concentrate.

Rage's throw is great - in a subtle way and it's wear is okay (I would have to reapply once or twice during the day) I am not really sure how much I like this. It could go either way for me. I am keeping the imp with me to test drive a few more times and then I will make up my mind about a bottle.

eta: spelling

Edited by Rhowan

In the vial I get lots and lots of geraniums and black currents..with a tiny bit of dragon's blood.

On my skin it turned into this smokey, heated blend, but not heated enough to be called Rage I think.

As it dried - it just turned soapy.

Blah to that.

Swap pile!