Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black amber erupting with a dark volcanic surge of fiery dragon's blood and a burst of melati, rose geranium, mandarin and black currant.

In the bottle: dark and delicious, burning red and resinous.

On me: Hot amber rock candy. Yes. Jaw-breakingly hard, tooth-achingly pure and sweet, amberlicious candy, warmed but not melted on a fire-heated stone. Not spicy: hot and RED and sticky sweet. It's more a taste than a smell, and I want to suck on some amber candy now! THIS is what red "hot" candies should taste like (cinnamon candy has always dissapointed me on that score).

Conclusion: SOOO glad I bought a bottle before it came down. I hoard my imps, and jealously guard my bottle, for this is the first time that my skin's tendency to wring out and present every possible molecule of sugar has been a boon. Lip-smacking, jaw-cracking delicious.

ETA: spellcheck. Edited by Shollin

In the Bottle

A dry, dusty fragrance with a woody, resiny undertone.

On me

It's woody and resiny, but there's a delicate sweetness and the hint of something floral poking through. It doesn't smell nearly as austere on me-- it's warm and pretty and there's a slight dustiness coming through. It's elegant and sexy all at once, and reminds me of Cacharel's Anais Anais for the dustiness, but without that gross off smell, and Chanel No. 5 without the old-lady-cupboard smell.

I love it. My only rage about it is that it's been discontinued.

Rage? More like prissy offense or passive-aggressiveness. I expected something deeper than this--this is vaguely floral (but not identifiably so) and vaguely fruity (I think I get a little mandarin) over what I think is the black amber going bad on me. Not at all a scent for me.

Hmm. I really have no idea what to expect with this. Some of the notes I like, some I don't like (rose geranium I'm looking at you). Of course, all I seem to smell in the imp is the rose geranium. Gah. Let's see how this plays out on my skin.

Ok, it's better on the skin and improves as it dries, but still mostly just smells like dirt and rotten flowers to me. I get little whiffs of the Dragon's Blood and the amber and something kind of spicy, but honestly this is just kind of a mess to me. Not my thing at all. Glad I didn't fall in love with a discon. To the swappy swaps it goes.

Sniffed in imp: Amber and spicy dragon's blood, with hints of sweetness, and fresh citrusy black currant and geranium.

Hello, cat pee! That must be the melati, because none of the other notes have ever, EVER done that to my skin. Yuck.

It kind of fades into dragon's blood and...cedar shavings? Ew. This blend is really bad on me. Not as bad as the Vetiver Hell series, but unpleasant all the same. Ugh.

Looking back at my notes from ages ago - Rage started as something sharp, almost astringent - which is odd given the notes and how they generally work on me.

Then, after a bit it mallows into a really interesting Dragon's Blood blend, which I'm always a fan of, with nice hints of dark fruits and spiciness.

Hmmm Rage? That's not what I'm getting from this..

I'm getting a kind of fragrance counter perfume that is quite fruity (but general fruit, no specifics) and with some floral there too...there is a bit of spice when it's wet but not too much and not for too long..

Dragon's Blood??? Where???

Ocasionally and usually when It's wet I get a kind of fiery burnt smell..which is more close to what I think this blend should smell like..but it's only there for a minute.

Other than that it's just.. not THAT special (sorry Beth)..

Oh man, I definitely get the dragon's blood and currants in this one. It's predominantly a sweet, semi-spicy curranty dragon's blood.

A tad too sweet for my taste, but you know.

In bottle/imp: Dark, resinous, and fruity.

Immediately on skin: The dragon’s blood in this is strong, as is the black currant. This is a resinous and fruity scent with a little of an herbal feel from the geranium. It’s very dark and complex.

After a few minutes: This blend has sweetened a little, and also warmed up on my skin. The amber has come out and the dragon’s blood has retreated a bit. I can smell something dark and slightly floral with a light kiss of currant. It’s certainly not as volatile as I would have expected.

Overall Impressions: This blend is much tamer on me that I expected. The amber is dark and warm, adding a nice solid base to the scent, and the dragon’s blood isn’t as strong in this as in other blends with it I’ve tried. The currant is sweet, but not overly so, and is tempered by the rest of the notes. If you like dark, sweeter blends or black currant, you may want to give this a try.

Resinous blended with dark fruits and a green geranium leaf...but why do I smell black licorice?

Once it drys down and most of that licorice smell goes away I start to get the spicy/sweet dragon's blood. I'm not sure the dry down is worth waiting out the licorice to me though.

In the bottle, thin and bitter. I was certain that this was full of vetiver.

On skin, it's faint, still bitter, with a touch of rueful sweetness. Trade bag.

I neeeed to work through my to-try imp bag, because they're breeding, and I have to shower tonight, so there's no better time to try things that might not work.

In the imp: Musky

Wet: I couldn't bring myself for a close sniff when a further sniff was a combination of Ack! and ewww.

This might not wait until my shower to get washed off..

As it dries: There was a touch of florals before this, er.. scent formed. I swear I smell rubbing alchohol.. and fake cherries.. and it kinda smells like a wound that just been freshly treated in a sterilized room in a doctor's office. Maybe a dentist's office, because the fake cherry is reminding me of some of the treatments they'd do when I was a kid.

Ick.

I was wondering what currents had to do with Rage, but had an AHA!! moment:

do one's fruit Vrb phrs. To be extremely annoyed. E.g."Sharon's going to do her fruit when she finds David's stuck his bloody nose into her business again."

do one's nut Vrb phrs. To be very angry, to throw a tantrum, to get emotionally upset. E.g."The work was piling up, he couldn't do it all by himself but the boss was doing his nut."

UK Peevish Slang

I like Rage-the-Perfume and am glad that it is only is intended to evoke a degree of annoyance because the nut-scented oils are so not my thing.

Rage is definely on the OK side of the line for my fruity perfume toleration - you don't metamorphosize into a walking jam jar. Not off to the swaps; the Rage stops here.

Edited by themerrybaker

In the vial: Dry, astringent, sour.

Wet: Warms immediately, but still that lingering sour, astringent note. The amber comes up pretty quickly, adding a dark spicy base that helps stabilize the scent.

Half an hour: This one smells to me like a cleaning product. It's very familiar, even reassuring, but I can't get past the fact that it smells like something I think I should be using to clean my kitchen. Very strange.

One hour: Less like a cleaning product now. Mostly I'm getting amber and dragon's blood, but with some astringency. This is much better than before.

Two hours Slightly astringent, tannic amber.

It never got any better on my chemistry, so I had to trade it.

Seriously, how have I not reviewed this yet? I've had this imp for over 2 years and loved it and not reviewed it yet? What is wrong with me?

In the imp now, it smells mostly of amber to me, with a hint of dragon's blood/floral. When I first got the imp it was a bit more astringent than it is now - that's what made me fall in love with it.

Wet on, it smells strangely like vetiver - idk what this is all about, but it's whatever because I do like vetiver on me.

On drydown, it's still smelling like vetiver but now with the amber and dragon's blood and florals coming out. I've never really been able to smell the mandarin or currant in it.

And dry... I love it. That vetiver-like smell is gone. It's all amber and dragon's blood and melati and rose geranium. And oh, hey! I found the mandarin and currant! =D They're almost an after-scent, though - they're like the last thing I smell as I sniff, if that makes any sense.

ffff, I wish I'd bought a bottle of this before they discontinued it. My imp will run out one day, and I will be a sad panda.

Edited by Nightroad103

In the bottle - Black amber with a fruity kick and then (hi there!) lots of that floral scent I always get from dragon's blood.

Wet - Er, fruity florals.

Drying - Wow, this backed off like nobody's business. And it's pure, strong floral. Just the florals from the dragon's blood bouquet, not any of that lovely rose geranium that I love. So in other words, I smell like a very strong lilac bush with some jasmine in it. Ugh.

Dry (3 hours) - I have a headache from this. -_- It's settled into something I can't name, something musky and basic.

Overall - Not for me.

1247132102_kaHTi-Ti.jpg

I like this blend! It isn't as dark as the description might lead you to believe; the Dragon's Blood always brings a fresh, lovely floral note to my nose when it's in a blend. The amber, which isn't always a note I can wear, plays very nicely with the Dragon's Blood, and the currant lends a sweet fruitiness to the whole. Rage? Only that it's been discontinued; this is a lovely perfume.

Edited by stellans

this is all rose geranium and black amber on me...

It smells ... okay, dont laugh at me... JUST like if you were standing next to an outside dryer vent.. its the mixture of hot air, dryer sheets and clean clothes.

I LOVE THAT SMELL!!!! :wub2:

So this, yes is pure win!

On me this is a melange of sweet, spicy and shadowy dark fruits; if there was such a thing as a "firefruit", Rage would be it. Dragon's blood comes out like tangy, bloody spiced berries on my skin, and that fruitiness furthered by the mandarin and blackcurrant turns absolutely delicious, with the black amber keeping it in sexy, not cloying, territory. Not really getting much floral stuff, but I don't think something too floral would be appropriate to embody the scent of rage anyway. Considering seeking a bottle of this...if one ever surfaces.

In the Bottle: Very intense dragon's blood with geranium underneath. I'm having trouble smelling anything else.

Wet: spicy, fruity dragon's blood with exotic geranium underneath.

Drying: Gernaium, fruity, orangy candied currant with a bit of incense coming up behind everything.

Dry (12+ hours later): I smell geranium with a little dragon's blood and a little sweetness behind it.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Wet: oooh the lab has got my number..(thanks!!) This has all my favorite heavy hitters: black amber, dragons blood, jasmine sambac (melati), and currant. This could be quite aged so the mandarin and rose geranium have lost a bit of sharpness.

drydown: I smell more mandaring here? Strange! It's still warm, volatile for sure, and energizing. I love it.

By the ingredients and notes, this should have worked, and while it is nice - it comes across a little too sweet for me. Strange that sweet would go with rage, but oh well... gotta love chemistry. :D

forethought and blah blahs:

this diabolus was discontinued 1-24-08. it is very bright red from the dragons blood! had to google melati; seems to be a type of jasmine

in the bottle/imp:

smells like very dark dragons blood also getting the geranium a bit.

wet:

sweet dragons blood and geranium. gives the impression of being fiery very well.

melati is starting to come out.

dry:

very sweet. dragons blood and jasmine. faded very quickly on me,

overall opinion:

this is all about the dragons blood and jasmine on me.

verdict:

neutral leaning to feminine.

this was very interesting in wet stage. it has to be the fastest fading bpal i have yet to try but that it might be due to the warm weather. i like it, but not enough to keep it. swappppp!

In bottle: It’s definitely volcanic. In order of strongest to weakest: Ashy, parched amber and dragon’s blood dominant with the fruits next and a touch of floral. The volcanic elements are disconcerting with the bright luscness of the fruit. No skin test for several elements.