Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black amber erupting with a dark volcanic surge of fiery dragon's blood and a burst of melati, rose geranium, mandarin and black currant.

Initially, warm and dark with a hint of sweetness from the dragon's blood.

On my skin, I can smell the Black amber meld with the dragon's blood and as it drys
the melati (jasmine) peaks out but does not take over. I think Beth has created a blend
that is well balanced, the black amber keeps the dragon's blood and the florals
from taking over and vice versa.

After an hour the scent faded a bit, but is still detectable.
Overall I find the scent very sexy, glad I bought a 5ml of this.

I so wanted Rage to work on me because I love rose geranium and dragon's blood. However, something about it with my body chemistry doesn't quite work. After I put it on, I end up getting a very sweet floral with a strong hint of currant and kind of a muskiness (maybe that's the amber). It's not unpleasant but it smells kind of soapy.

I had a review of this all written up, but then my computer ate it. So, the Coles Notes version:

I :P dragon's blood, and so I expected to like Rage, but I didn't expect it to be this...nice. I was expecting something more...biting and harsh, mostly due to the name, but the currant and mandarin add a near edible sweetness and the florals round the blend out. It's not exactly a light scent, though. The amber and dragon's blood work together to keep a smoldering fire going beneath everything else...if anything, this is repressed rage, buried under a veil of sweet amicability.

I thought I was going to like Rage since I love dragon's blood and black amber. But for some reason, this turns to instant soap on my skin. And not the nice kind of expensive guest soap, just Dial. :P

This one is quite nice but very sweet and fruity - not that dissimilar to Jester. I find it's name confusing as it's certainly not a very "angry" scent in my opinion. Nice, but not nice enough for me to want a 5ml.

In the Bottle Rose geranium shrouded by an unrecognizeable dark note; mandarin in the distance.

Wet Rose swirling in darkness. I'm starting to pick up the currant.

Dry Down Dragon's Blood and over-ripe fruit, dark amber at the bottom of the fragrence, rose geranium rising above the mass to round it out. It's a very dark scent with a cold rose geranium at the end giving it a bite. I feel pulled inside myself. I am sniffing my wrist, and it seems as if there are many more notes underlying this, and I just can't pick them out. It's a cold, sharp scent. Not in the way mint fragrences are, but from the lack of warmth that mandarin and amber usually offer; it's completely lacking warmth. I've never really smelled anything like this before.

Two Hours Later It's all but faded away. I really can't smell it at all. I can very vaugely make out amber but I really have to reach for the scent

Verdict Not impressed at all. Not that I didn't like it, but usually I get a big reaction to the fragrances, and this one I was completely apathetic to. My skin absorbed it rather quickly...... I'll trade or give this one away.

Hmmm....not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting something "angrier," I guess. And instead this was rather nice. Maybe a little passive-aggressive, but definitely not rageful!

I adore dragon's blood, so I am glad that this was the predominant note on me. I HATE amber (or, rather, my body chemistry does!) and usually BPAL scents with amber in them smell awful on me. BUT, the amber in Rage is not a predominant note and just kinda hangs around in the background. The rose geranium is the second most prominent note and I'm not detecting any mandarin (or fruitiness, really) at all.

This is a nice scent, but I'm not blown away. I will likely swap it.

Edited by Scylla

When I first put it on... I was in love... the mandarin didn't do funny, the jasmine wasn't too strong, the dragons blood smelled like it did in the bottle, and everything smelled luscious and wonderful.

And about 10 minutes later, my skin chemistry was up to its normal tricks:

Mandarin - gone

Jasmine - like a cross between plastic and children's toy perfume

Dragon's Blood - Red Hot's, and not in a good way.

Pout.

I thought this was going to be the one Jasmine or Dragon's blood scent that was going to work. eh. there's no escape.

wet: i think i smell black currant in the bottle, a weird juicyness, and splash it on hoping for a spice out. Go Rage!

drying: on me roses powder up almost instantly, but somethings fighting back in this blend and it’s too complex for my tiny brain to figure out. oooh, i like it. geranium reminds me of something like 'traditional' perfume - probably a random association, the combination with the rose is nice and heady.

i’m liking this more as it dries. i need to stop snorting my elbow. it's a very yellow/orange smell, the amber warming and keeping back the bite of the geranium & jasmine. every now and then the rose wafts, and i look around to see if anyone is here

It's really odd but chemistry and proximity really affect this one; i wore it standalone to work for one day, and just loved the mellow long lasting depth of the amber, as someone else noted i didn't feel particularly rage-full, just thought i smelled great, perfumed, fully dressed and a complete female. tonight i sniffed it and swiped on the back of my hand after rolling around in Voodoo all afternoon; Voodoo smells like a sweet spice jar broken open, Rage smells like the war room cologne of an empress - there's the rage mood aspect!

[edit]

wearing again and it's Geranium Geranium Geranium.. and suddenly that's a flower i can't stand. ?_? i'm hoping it's an imp-oddity, and the full bottle mix will be more balanced, and "as intended", and i'm also hoping it's a body-chemisty fluctuation - go go gadget hormones! i did want to note that sometimes florals are very generic, and sometimes you can tell exactly which flower, and this one has been pretty clear - rose & geranium! from the get-go.

Edited by Unseelie

As a scent, Rage is a lot less angry than I expected. Wet, I can detect dragon's blood resin, but unlike other BPALs containing this note, it doesn't dominate on me in Rage. As it dries down, Rage becomes a floral blend with a touch of sweetness. If melati is indeed jasmine, then it explains the final drydown which is soapy and slightly sweet.

First sniff: Softly sweet red fruit. Rage in the vial definitely isn’t living up to its name… maybe it’s something like Katie Kaboom, quiet and sweet on the outside but watch out if you tick her off…

Wearing: I like it. A lot. On my skin it’s still sweet red fruit, and very warm. I’m still not getting rage (probably a good thing as I’m about to head to work), though it seems to be going spicier as it dries. It faded pretty quickly, and I didn’t notice it much at work – I need to try it again.

In the bottle: I can detect both the fruit and the rose geranium in this. I also love the nice red color of the oil. It doesn't seem like Rage to me, though. It's more of a nice semi-sweet floral scent.

Wet: There's the dragon's blood, which makes it seem a little more like rage. I admit that I have no clue as to what melati smells like, but I can still make out the nice sweet fruit scents in it. The rose geranium has been overpowered by the other notes in this.

Dry down: Dragon's blood and the rose geranium. The fruit flavors have moved to the back of the scent leaving the scent darker and more robust rather than the somewhat sweet note it had before. I can also note the amber. I'm not sure if amber and I get along quite yet. It always seems to want to be stronger than I like the things I wear to be.

Dry: Lots of dragon's blood and amber in this. I'm not a big fan or it. Not because it's not nice, just because it's not very me. I'm sure this would be a beautful scent on someone who was more appreciative of both the amber and the dragon's blood. The rose geranium is also a nice mix in this but something is giving me the slightest bit of a headache and making my nose run. This would be a nice incense, but I can't have it around if I'm allergic to it.

I've tried Rage twice, each with a different experience.

The first time I tried Rage, it smelled of Hops. And I knew that wasn't right. I think something was fishy with my chemistry that day.

Today I tried it again, and it was at first all dragon's blood, then became floral and amber. I've never really experienced rose geranium before, it was quite interesting. This drydown was really beautiful, soft and warm with good throw. If I put my nose to my wrist, I could smell the mandarin; wafting around me was all amber and dragon's blood with the softest touch of the rosegeranium. Unfortunately, it was soon gone. I mean, within an hour I could not smell it anymore.

Totally different than what I expected.

i was so hoping this would be a lovely, dark floral, but once i read the reviews i knew not to get my hopes up. the name rage is very deceptive; this was light, floral, and very girly on me. i suppose i was fairly neutral to the way it smelled; i don't like florals, but i love dragon's blood, and they cancelled one another out. :P i love you dragon's blood, i just wish there were more instances where you worked well on my skin. combined with the wrong ingredients (florals, namely), dragon's blood turns to air freshener on me, and this was no exception. ah well.

Fruity, currant in the imp. On me this was a lot less..well...angry than I anticipated. The current was predominant with an underlay of black musk and a touch of Dragon's blood. Dragon's blood tends to go fruity on me for some reason so I don't think that helped the overall "fruit-tastic" impression. Not to say that this isn't lovely, but it's very close to some of my other BPAL's after reacting with my chemistry.

As this mellows, a little more floral and a little lighter, still not very angry. Hrm. One of the few times I've thought the scent and name didn't quiiite match.

At first, Rage is fruity like mixed fruits - must be the mandarin and currant. Then it turns into orange candy and jasmine, and finally the jasmine wins out and that's all I get, as happened to me with Mata Hari. Ah well.

Edited by isyche

First Impression: Geranium, straight up.

Second Impression: This isn't as deep and bloody and I'd expected. It's juicy and light and a bit sharp. I get a lot of geranium, so much so that I find Rage to be a very relaxing bedtime blend. I get a hint of dragon's blood in there and juicy mandarin and currant notes. I've dabbed this on several times, sometimes there is a nice whiff of amber and other times not.

Final Analysis: This is a very relaxing blend for something called Rage. I really like it, I love the way it changes on my skin and I love how it works on me at bedtime. *snooze*

This was a freebie from the Lab. :P

In the vial: Fruity and floral. Hmm... Doesn't seem very angry to me.

Wet: Black amber straight up. Wow, I can always count on my skin to amplify amber like there's no business. There's something else fruity in here, which I think is the currant.

Drydown: Dragon's blood and geranium. It's pretty nicely blended. There's a bit of darkness lurking beneath, which I think is the black amber. None too sure though.

Final thoughts: It's a nice blend. It doesn't seem to embody "Rage" to me. It's a bit fruity and happy for that, but it's nice. I don't think it's very me though.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :D

First sniff:

Wow, this is complex smelling...it's spicy and fruity and floral and vaguely resiny all at once. I can definitely smell the dragon's blood, geranium and mandarin in this and maybe a hint of the amber. This one's really hard to pin down; I don't normally have anywhere near this much trouble picking out individual notes.

Wet on skin:

Dragon's Blood is the first thing I smell in this, but the amber is lurking under the surface, making this smell a little like baby powder. There's also a vague fruitiness that I can't pin down. It could be the dragon's blood I'm smelling again or it could be the mandarin or the black currant, I honestly can't tell for some reason. :D

Dry down:

The amber has turned this into dragon's blood scented baby powder, which I'm sure would be lovely on, say, a baby, but on me it's a no-go. I hate smelling like a baby's butt and thanks to my wonky body chemistry, it looks like that's what Rage is going to do to me. :D

The bottom line:

My evil skin chemistry has struck again, turning Rage into dragon's blood scented baby powder. Off to swaps with ye! :P

This one seemed like a me scent, just from the description. I tend to be the rageing Scott reguaring some things. I'm sort of stuck in a perpetual rant on certian subjects and the like...

So on first sniffage from the bottle I didn't smell the spice or strength I expected. This puzzled me. Sort of sweet, with something dark and forbodeing underneath.

I figured what the heck and tossed some on.

On me it ate the sweet, and turned into just what I expected! RAGE! Hot, spicey maybe a touch of musk but not in a bad way.

Definatly a keeper. It matches my personality well... Mayhaps a 5 ml in the future too...

:P

Heh, the thought that ran through my head on first sniff was "ew, stinky!"

Odd, as I adore both amber and dragon's blood. I tried it on anyway...and I think the musk is just TOO dark for me...or maybe it's the other notes that is killing this blend for me. The florals do soften it after a few minutes, but still, not my thing.

Letting it dry even further, I get smelly dark musk, and the dragon's blood has gone straight to cherry cough syurp. Why, oh why?

In to the swap pile with ye...

First on, Rage is all amber and rose geranium. The Dragon's Blood heats up this liquid, bubbling scent, and it's all bittersweet warmth.

Oh, but there's the jasmine. Jasmine and I don't get along, as it always gives me a headache, but there's hope for Rage as it's still fairly light. The mandarin is slight, but creates a bit of tartness, and the black currant's syrupy sweetness lifts the scent and liquifies it even more at the same time.

Damn the jasmine. I thought the Dragon's Blood and amber were going to win out, but my skin picked up the jasmine and went wild with it. I know have herbal, soapy white-floral headache in a bottle, and that's a shame, as Rage was turning out nicely until the jasmine went over the top.

I think that this would be really good on those who a) like jasmine, and :P want a smoldering scent. If it had stayed that way on me, this would be a keeper.

My overall impression is deep smelling fruity soap stuck in a garden. The florals are very strong on me, which really detracts from the angriness of any scent :P The "deep fruit" part is intriuging and pretty, but not strong enough to save this.

The drydown is rather amber-y but overall not too different. Still very flowery.

This isn't a keeper, I've passed it into someone who will hopefully appreciate it more than I do.

This one wowed me in two seconds. It screamed on in. My wrist was alive with scent.

Then five seconds later it died down. Pity.

I can't find the single notes in this one. It smells like passion if passion had a smell.

Flowers on fire, maybe?

Edited by Madame Nyx

wow. Instant love! It's all Amber and Dragon's Blood with some mandarin and currant and it's AMAZING. Sweet, seductive, powerful. Must have more!