Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fiddlehead

Village Legend Lives Long

I had seen maps of the town, and knew where to find the home of my people. It was told that I should be known and welcomed, for village legend lives long; so I hastened through Back Street to Circle Court, and across the fresh snow on the one full flagstone pavement in the town, to where Green Lane leads off behind the Market house. The old maps still held good, and I had no trouble; though at Arkham they must have lied when they said the trolleys ran to this place, since I saw not a wire overhead. Snow would have hid the rails in any case. I was glad I had chosen to walk, for the white village had seemed very beautiful from the hill; and now I was eager to knock at the door of my people, the seventh house on the left in Green Lane, with an ancient peaked roof and jutting second story, all built before 1650.

The scent of ancient families harboring ancient secrets: thin dribbles of frankincense, bitter cistus, hollow myrrh, pale chamomile, and dark, furtive opoponax.

I took a chance on this one even though I figured that the frankincense would dominate and not allow me to smell any of the other notes. It's a bit more complex at first but quickly dries down into all frank all the time. And then it's gone. Reminds me of Arcana, as most of the frankincense blends do.

The Frankincense is strong in this blend.

It dries down to a super dark, murky incense.

I like it but not enough for a bottle. The decant will do.

Myrrh and frankincense, super sweet and syrupy, with the "cola" note that I often get from myrrh. A cousin to Schwarzer Mond or Raven Moon (or Anne Bonny or Kathmandu, for GC resin-lovers.) Chamomile is very faint...I only notice it because I'm looking for it.

I like it, but it's not that different from other resinous blends I own to warrant a bottle.

Myrrh and frankincense, sweet syrupy and with a hint of chamomile.

This one is a fairly pleasant resinous blend.

The first impression of this is strong frankincense on me! After a few minutes, some of the other notes come out, especially the myrrh and a teensy bit of chamomile (or maybe I'm imagining it; it's very faint). I'm not entirely sure what opoponax or cistus smell like, so I can't comment on those.

This has so far been the best of the Lovecraft Yules for me. It's a nice resin blend that would be good on a cold winter day.

I don't need a bottle, since I have other resin scents that are like it, but I would recommend it for any frankincense lovers out there!

Generic burning cistus and generic frankincense. I have other frankincense blends that are better. Off to the swaps with you. :sick:

This reminds me of Haunt's Winchester scent ("worn brown leather, sweet tobacco leaf, incense, amber, labdanum, and smoldering woods"). The notes are only in the same sort of family, but there's the same dark, dusty old cabin fragrance about them. Village Legend Lives Long is very furtive, very dry. With a powdery black resinous quality. It brings to mind shadows, abandonment, dead magic. Evocative and well-blended, but I don't think I need more than a decant of it. It's not "pleasant" or "pretty," and it would be the kind of scent I'd be hesitant to wear much around others.

I don't know about this one. I love me some resins, but this one is awfully sharp and evil-smelling. Ancient families hiding ancient secrets, indeed! I am very reminded of a dark, ancient wooden home hiding creepy only partially human residents. This perfume is how I'd imagine the scenes in horror movies where you are watching a person walk alone down the road through holes in wood, as if you're sitting right next to the horror waiting to jump out and devour the unsuspecting individual. I am finding this one unsettling for some reason. It's not a keeper for me.

In the decant: Myrrh and frank: sweet resins. :)

Wet: Just like the cold sniff.

The dry-down: This doesn't morph. If you like these two resins, this is it. :)

This blend is really all about the frankincense. It smells a lot like Midnight Mass to me, only a bit more sharper and 'rough around the edges'. This really reminds me of Xmas.

Myrrh & frankincense is almost always a winning combo for me. I was worried about the chamomile note (I'm generally very sensitive to chamomile in general) but it's so faint in this blend I can barely tell its there. The frankincense is dominant when wet, but then the myrrh takes over. The opoponax is deep and sweet, doubling down on the myrrh goodness and the cistus spirals the whole blend down into the warm dark. Definitely keeping my decant; may look for a bottle.

ITB: Gah, this is amazing! It's richly resinous but also musky in the best way from the cistus and myrrh combination.

Wet: Rich, thick myrrh and frankincense with tines of opoponax and cistus form something that is so resinous that it is decadent. The chamomile is present, but it's just an impression underneath the gorgeous top notes.

Dry: It dissipates quickly, but it still stays very true to it's wet form of rich, decadent resins. I've in love!

Purchased an imp in a decant circle.

IN THE IMP: Unexpectedly pungent.

Dabbed on one wrist.

WET: This smoothes right out as soon as it is applied into a perfectly nice resiny blend. There's a tiny little hint of what I call the "Bain de Soleil" note in it lurking in the background as well.

DRYDOWN: I get a little bit of the "oppo-cola" scent but not as much as I would like. And the frankincense doesn't take over as much as I'd like it to. The chamomile, which I'm discovering, more and more, is a problem note for me, gives it a tiny bit of ooky. Not enough to be a dealbreaker but enough for it not to be a keeper.

OVERALL: It's perfectly nice but nothing special for me. There are so many other resiny blends I love much, much more.

On a scale of 1-5, a 3.

Starts with a light eucalyptus. It’s a nice herbal, and the frankincense makes for a nice base.

In the imp it's incredibly herbal and green, oof. There's also that heady mystical smokyness from the myrrh and frankinsence. The opoponax adds that lovely darkness to it. It barely changes on my skin, and while I like it to a certain degree, I don't want to smell like this myself.

In the decant: The initial smell is green and herbal, reminding me most of the Lab's Belladonna. If I sniff again, there's something sticky and resiny around the edges of the scent. 

On my skin: 

The resin comes to the forefront of the scent, combining with the herbal smell to create something that almost smells like pine sap. As it dries, it becomes more resinous. I can pick out the frankincense, myrrh, and opoponax -- and I think the chamomile, though that's so much more a "thinner" scent that it's difficult to tell. 

It doesn't morph much after that. The end result is a very thick, syrupy resinous scent that actually doesn't have all that much throw on me. It's certainly nice for what it is. I'm just not sure if it's a "me" kind of thing.