Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Beside the road at its crest a still higher summit rose, bleak and windswept, and I saw that it was a burying-ground where black gravestones stuck ghoulishly through the snow like the decayed fingernails of a gigantic corpse. The printless road was very lonely, and sometimes I thought I heard a distant horrible creaking as of a gibbet in the wind. They had hanged four kinsmen of mine for witchcraft in 1692, but I did not know just where.

Despair and desolation in a potter's field: black soil and memories of screams on the pyre.

In the bottle: a hint of dirt, a bit of snow.

Wet: Dirt and vetiver alternating with that burned meat smell that's in Gore-Shock. Ick.

Dry: No longer smells like meat... mostly. It's actually fairly pleasant now. Not sure if I'd want a second bottle, though.

In bottle: Strong black soil with a hint of smoke. I suspect there is a touch of pine and/or moss in there. Wet: The smoke really expands on the skin, to the point it may be too much. Smoke dominant with soil in support. It really does smells like the remains of a fire in loamy pine forest. Dry: Fire i9n a pine forest after the rain. The soil is twined with smoke.

Preface: I do like some smoky scents like Maladiction, even if they tend to be a bit too close to SN smoke to wear. I also like dirt sometimes, though it tends to disappear quickly on me. Normally dirt reminds me of gardening or springtime, nothing really creepy.

I tested this scent on a towel first and the dirt here, well... the smoke and char make the dirt seem damper and darker. I'm getting the idea of a damped fire pit where ghouls squabble. For a two note scent this is really interesting.

Actual wear: Artificial bacon bits like whoa. Also like the dirt in Placophobia, I'm getting a weird pickle spice scent. Coriander? Bacon bits and coriander. Not pleasant.

After a while the smoke flavoring mellows and the scent's actually wearable. I'm not sure if the drydown is worth it though.

Bacon, smoked meat, and soil.

Gore Shock, is that you?

This one again smells very strong of roasted meat and smoke. It isn't quite as nauseating as Gore Shock, and the soil does a good bit of dampening to the blend, but also adds a dark earthy layer to it.

Admittedly, the scent equivalent of burning someone at the stake isn't going to smell good. Or pretty.

Only for the strong of heart, and the truly adventurous should try this. If you have a horrible compulsion to TRY EVERYTHING, you'll get to this. If you don't, and perhaps aren't as stalwart or want something that smells good, I'd say take a pass on this.

When I first tried this fresh out of the mail box, it smelled just like loam soil and ash, maybe with some cool mossy notes.

Now that it has had some time to rest, I tested it again, and got all harsh smoky vetiver. It reminds me of Devil's Claw, but isn't quiet the same.

As much as I like vetiver, I am mourning the loss of that beautiful cold soil note.

hmm...I think this blend requires further testing, locket, skin, etc to see if anything brings those first impressions back.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Pretty much dirt through and through for me. I'd never wear this, (though I'm pretty fond of Death Cap which has a similar dirt note), but it does remind me of spring and digging in the dirt. *sigh* I think I have cabin fever with the copious amount of snow we have here. :(

In the decant: Dark, dank soil, and a metallic note--perhaps the shackles?

Wet: That metal note calms down, and there's a hint of smoke.

The dry-down: Ack! The metallic note is back. Not my thing; Graveyard Dirt is much better on my skin.

Edited by thekittenkat

Dirt and sweet smoke. I agree that it's like the rain moistened remains of a burnt out fire pit. As it dries down it becomes more resinous, finally finishing up as a sweet, powdery scent. I actually like it quite a lot (but then, I liked Gore-Shock too ;) )

In bottle: Dirt and Vetiver. Darker than Graveyard Dirt for sure.

Wet: If Placophobia was graveyard dirt with patchouli, this is graveyard dirt with vetiver. Deep, angry and dirty.

Drying: Pretty much the same. No dead meat thankfully. Something metallic is kicking up for sure.

Dry: Very similar to Placophobia at this point. Dirty, spicy and sweet. I would eat my hat if there isn't vetiver in this and it is giving it more of an ashy feel than placophobia has, which is why I'll keep it around. It does have less throw, but against this skin it is VERY noticeable and yummy.

This is right at home with my dear loves Graveyard Dirt and Placophobia. It's different enough that I'm glad I have a bottle.

this smells of camping in the woods. rich, fertile soil. the aftermath of a campfire. it's comforting and beautiful and I don't get a sense of terror or death. no desolation or despair. just dark, moist, lightly smokey, gently perfumed earth. this is a great scent for layering as it adds depth and richness to whatever else I'm wearing. I love it combined with winter stars and rose scents.

On application: WhoooEEEE- this is SMOKEY. It reminds me of a cross between air pollution in the 1980s (all street grime & exhaust), and recently contained wildfires. Not incense - smoke

As it dries down: There's something of damp wood & dirt to it as well. I guess it leans more towards dampened wildfire with that. As mentioned before, there's a teensy bit of fir to this ...ok, this is wildfire perfume at this stage. The grime is getting more dirty than oily.

Dry:  Dirty vetiver, less smoke- as said before, more a campfire than a wildfire. But, I'm the person the campfire smoke is following. Also that fir scent gets a little stronger & almost reminds me of peppermint oil at times. It's not obvious, but it's sharp when it is. 

Addendum: Tried this on my SO. After the initial smog/fire dies down, it smells like dirty/woody/vetiver on him. I think this is going to his stash, not mine. Definitely something that should be layered though.

I got no soil from this whatsoever. I got sour smoke and vetiver. And it smelled sour to me in the vial, too, so it wasn't just skin chemistry.

Not for me.