Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lorencita

The Coiled Serpent

The Coiled Serpent:

A potent yogic oil that stimulates the kundalini, provokes spiritual awakening, and releases the energy seated in your root chakra.

Well, I am the first I think to review this... I heard alot of people wanted to know what this smells like. I am not too good at this, but I'll try! Here it goes...

At first sniff this is pure patchouli to me.

When wet on my skin, still strong patchouli smell... which I Love! :D

When this starts to dry, it changes pretty rapidly. The patchouli softens, becomes a little sweeter. I'm really liking this. There is some sort of flower and fruit here as well. I'm not sure which kind, but if I was to guess it would be, magnolia and fig? Who the hell knows? All I know, is that the longer I have this on, the more I like it. It is very earthy, warm & comforting. I love this, so does my mom... she's already trying to snatch it!

Just a little warning though, if you are not fond of patchouli, dont try this... to me it is the dominate note here.

I sorry if this wasn't a good review, I am still fairly new to this note stuff! :P

ETA: as the scent wears on the skin, it becomes like your own scent, just enhanced ever so lightly, this is not too strong at all, it wears perfect... I think I'm in love with this. This is not your typical patchouli blend!

EDIT: Added Lab's description --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

This was an interesting freebie from the lab. I have done a bit of yoga, but not formally. Since I was only vaguely familiar with the chakra system, I looked root chakra ups up with a google search and was amazed with how directly this relates to chronic issues of both myself and my husband. I am not sure how "releasing energy" works, but it would be nice if this is somehow helpful.

Chakra One - Associations

Color - red

Physical Location - base of the spine

Purposes - kinesthetic feelings, movement

Spiritual Lesson - material world lessons

Physical Dysfunctions- lower back pain, sciatica, varicose veins, rectal tumors, depression, immune related disorders

Mental and Emotional Issues - survival, self esteem, social order, security, family

Information Stored Inside Root Chakra - familial beliefs, superstitions, loyalty, instincts, physical pleasure or pain, touch

Area of Body Governed- spinal column, kidneys, legs, feet, rectum, immune system

As for the scent itself, I can pick out both patchouli and vetiver…and perhaps something else in the background. There is both wood and citrus in this scent. It is not a tree smell though, more of the scent of a hall with polished wood flooring. It seemed more like an annointing oil or medicinal oil rather than a perfume. I found it focusing and calming. It is warming, but not cozy. As it dried down more and more it smelled remarkably like the wool yarn I have been knitting a scarf with. I love that smell and liked this oil quite well, regardless of whether it has an effect on any particular health issues.

The predominant note is definitely patchouli, but there are other herbs there as well as something vaguely metallic. As a perfume oil, I probably wouldn't even keep the imp because heavy patchouli and herbs just aren't my thing.

Before trying The Coiled Serpent I hadn't realized that this is a yogic oil and that it has other uses. I am not familiar with yoga or the chakra system, but I like the idea that it is supposed to release trapped energy! I may keep it just for that purpose and do some reading about yoga and chakras.

The complexity and earthiness of it reminds me very much of Tarot: The World, so I would definitely recommend it to lovers of that scent. It smells cozy and therapeutic (and perhaps a little medicinal, at first.)

(P.S.--Thanks for posting the info about the root chakra, falathwen.)

ETA: Very long lasting. I could still smell this wafting when I woke up this morning!

Edited by Scylla

Wow, The Coiled Serpent is not what I expected at all. It doesn't smell like patchouli to me at all. At first it was dish soap with black pepper. Odd. The dishsoap didn't last very long, now it's creamy and spicy. Still mainly pepper, but some other spices as well, and some vanillayness.

And it makes me sneeze repeatedly.

Maybe I have big problems with the "mental and emotional issues" and "information stored" items mentioned by Falathwen. heh.

The lab kindly gifted me with an imp of The Coiled Serpent, thank you for letting me try it! This is a very interesting blend, I can detect patchouli and I suspect that it is the black variety, there is that "dirt" smell that makes my nose wrinkle. Seems like there is also frankincense in this blend, giving it a little bit of sweetness and an ethereal quality. I can see using this in an oil burner for meditation more than using it as a perfume.

I am very committed to Kundalini Yoga, so when this oil came out I bought a big bottle right away.

So far I've used it more ritually than as perfume. Before my last yoga session, I rubbed some oil into the base of my spine, and a little dab over my heart as well.

The predominant scent is very, very earthy. The overall feeling is heat -- not spicy heat, but the heat generated by movement and friction. Almost a dry heat.

I sat around for a while after I applied this, and I found that I felt kind of antsy . . . it was only when I began to really move around and get my energy flowing that this oil really came alive.

Overall, BRAVO to Beth for creating an oil for this purpose. I will get a lot of use out of it. Thanks. :P

I applied this oil to my wrists and the base of my spine, and it's an interesting scent. It's a bit dark when first applied, but after a little bit of time it morphs into something much warmer and nice. I did a little bit of yoga and slipped into bed and the warmth of this scent put me right out. I slept very well, better than I have in the last few days.

I got this as a freebie in my last order and had already ordered another imp. I'll definetly be keeping them both, it's a very good scent, a keeper. :P

Hmmm...

The Coiled Serpent is a very deep, earthy blend in the vial. I get hints of patchouli, frankincense, and vetiver but it's blended well and I kind of like it. None of the usual patchouli = gag connotations, so I put a little on.

On me, it's predomentantly vetiver and frankincense with just a touch of patchouli. It's very warm and deep, earthy and I definitely feel like getting up and moving around a lot. This is definitely a blend to wear when you do yoga or walk or whatever -- it just makes you want to get up and move.

As times passes, the patchouli come out a bit more, but it still hasn't reached the point that it makes me go "buwah? ugh." though, so I'm pleased. I'll keep this around for when my joints are giving me really bad problems because I think it will make me want to get up and move anyway.

I got an imp of this as a gift from the amazingly generous Sigh. :D

First sniff:

Dark, heavy patchouli. I'm almost positive that ChupaChup was right and this is black patchouli. I don't smell anything else in here right now, but for someone like me who loves patchouli with an unholy passion, this is pure heaven. :D

Wet on skin:

Dear God, I've died and gone to patchouli heaven. This is lovely, earthy, dark patchouli and nothing else (at least on me, although I'm sure there must be something else in there or it wouldn't be a blend, now would it?). This is like Maledictions earthier cousin and I love it!

Dry down:

Still pure patchouli goodness. It also lasted through a shower and I didn't even apply very much to begin with. It's been on for well over 8 hours now and it's still going strong on me. :P

The bottom line:

This is going on my big bottle wishlist immediately. I adore patchouli and this is absolutely perfect for me! It also makes me want to take up yoga for some odd reason. :D

This is my first review, so be kind!

I chose to wear this oil first (out of my very first order!), because I seriously need grounding, and this oil seemed like it might be tailor made for that.

I cannot pick out any particular scent. I'm reading everyone else's reviews, and you guys are saying "patchouli", but wow, this isn't any kind of patchouli I've ever smelled. It definately doesn't smell like 'dirty hippie' patchouli. I detect an incense-y smell, I think it's frankincense.

I really like the way this smells. I think this is a blend that would be absolutely perfect for any meditation or relaxation work. I have felt wonderfully grounded since I put it on four hours ago. It's still going strong, not much fade-age.

I will definitely use this again, and I think it might be something really great for people who can't sleep because of anxiety. Things that normally really get my goat have been only mild irritations today. Wow.

In the vial

Patchouli. Just patchouli. That's all I smell and like others have previously mentioned, it's the black variety. Just smelling it makes me feel more centered.

Wet

Oh! Apparently there's frankincense in this too, because it comes screeching out when it touches my skin. I'm not sure what vetiver smells like so I can't comment on that.

Drydown

Earthy, active heat. I feel very grounded and centered. Given that my mind has been extremely scattered lately, the effect was striking.

Final thoughts

This is nothing at all like anything I would wear as perfume. However I think it's perfect for yoga. I haven't tried it during yoga practice yet because I haven't been feeling well lately. But I'll update this once I have.

First sniff: Dull reddish-brown, earthy and chilly… this serpent is coiled in sleep and isn’t at all interested in waking up.

Wearing: Incense burning over cold earth, when wet on my skin. It goes slowly sweeter and warmer as it dries, taking on the almost-fruitiness I associate with dragon's blood, and the scent-colour gets brighter. In its final stages, I really like it, and I wasn’t expecting to at all from the vial-scent. (Plus, it got me off my bum to do yoga for the first time in a couple of months, which definitely warrants re-use!)

Wet

It's pushing my nose away yet mercilessly alluring at the same time.

Peppery, perhaps something like eucalyptus. There's a citrus note coming up now and another note that smells woody, almost chocolatey.

I agree it's somewhat medicinal smelling at first.

10 minutes

This is not your mothers patchouli. It's bolder but rounder too. The scent seems to be warming and mellowing. It's more citrussy and spicy now. The spice is either cinnamon or maybe frankincense.

30 minutes

It's got great staying power.

The previous qualities are still there but not as bright. There's definitely something warm now in this like amber. Also there's a powdery note now which is good, this saves this blend from being a strictly meditational or healing blend. The amber quality and the powdery quality remind me of SaintGermain or even Ra-the rising sun.

This is a great representation of the root chakra energy; earthy, bold, energized, sensual and dark red in imagery.

Smack! Patchouli. My first thought was the same "Indonesian Red Patchouli" that's in Anne Bonny, but maybe not.

It dries down to a lightly sweet incensey smell... but I can't stop comparing it to Anne Bonny, and it's just not as round and complex of a scent. Though I could see how someone who likes but is overwhelmed by Anne Bonny would like it.

This imp was a generously given freebie in my Frost Moon order and was something on my wish list, which it seemed that all of my freebies were from. The Lab rocks!

In the Bottle: Patchouli and Vetiver, that yummy chocolate scent. Almost like chocolate figs. Mmm....smells good.

On Me: Very musty, probably due to some white sandalwood in there as well. The Patchouli sweetens the sandalwood scent just a hint, but the vetiver scent is now no where to be found. Wait...no, its there way back in the background. And am I ever suddenly hit with inspiration. Ok, this is probably way different than what it was intended, but I swear this is the scene that popped into my mind!

The chinking sounds of his boots on the hard packed earth made the spectators wince at each of his long strides. The stagecoach had just passed here making the dirt below like stone, hard and unyielding, just like the man's face. His eyes were cold and set, they were like pools of ice in the middle of a stone basin. There had been several men like him in this part of the dusty world, but the citizens always seemed to think that each one of them were like demigods, untouchable. They doubted that the men thought that they were mortal at all.

From the other side of the street the other one came, his boots not carrying quite the same spark as the first. There was fire in his eyes and death loomed behind him. He looked straight ahead, his gaze not as steady as the one striding toward him, his brow glistening with sweat either from the blazing noon day sun overhead, or from the weight of the man striding towards him with such grim purpose. He didn't acknowledge it, however. No hand rose to wipe the sweat away, but more than one man in the crowd on the edges of the hard-pan street lifted his own hand and brushed it across their foreheads, almost in an attempt to make the dead man more comfortable in his last moments.

The man in the spurs stopped and drug a hard, leather toe across the ground below and spat in the general direction of the doomed man. His hand extended, flexed, curled inward again, and then came to rest next to the shiny revolver at his side. The Dead Man did the same, though others noted later that his hand was shaky and slow as he did so.

The crowd held their breath in wait, not wanting to make a sound at all, lest they become the distraction that led to the death of their hero, not that they really thought that it would ever happen. The fingers of the dusty knight twitched slightly and then blazed into action, drawing his gun in one fluid motion and, with the Dead Man's gun only now starting to rise in front of him, he fired one single shot.

The shot rang out, the blue-grey smoke rising from his gun, and the Dead Man clutched at his chest, his face contorted into surprise. He slumped to the ground, and finally lay, face first, into the hard dust below him. The people breathed a long sigh of relief and cheered their hero, their savior. The sun beat down on him causing all of the metal in his belt to glow with brightness, the look of a god among men.

Suddenly, the man in spurs seemed to trip and fall onto the ground. The doctor rushed foreward and touched the man's forehead. He was feverish and was beginning to shake. The man pointed to his foot, and the doctor took off those famous boots, only to find a black and red swollen mass of flesh. A snake had been hiding in his boot this morning, and the man had been bitten, but refused to let anyone know about it because of the Mexican standoff.

The funeral was solemn and morose, but it wasn't just for the Man in the Spurs, it was also for the death of a legend, the death of innocence. Long had the people here thought of their hero as immortal. In the end, part of it was true, there was no man alive that could kill him. But, immortal he was not. The death of a demigod had been attributed to one lone musical snake.

So the question is, who truely is the god?

I'm excited that Beth has created another yogic blend--I gave my yoga teacher Namaste for Yule and then found that this one had arrived as a freebie with my latest order! I've been very into yoga for the past 4 years, and I'm hoping Beth is testing the waters, and that if this one sells well she will create the full chakra line; I *really* want a heart chakra oil. But we'll start at the root, as it were.

Oooo...the "venerable, solemn" incense from Cathedral, but much more wearable; I can see how you could read this as chocolate figs. The patchouli is warm and beautifully smooth, complex and not 'dirty-hippie' at all. :P We work on kundalini-rising breath in my class--it's for deep-cleansing of the chakras, getting all the psychic ickiness out of your system. I will wear this one for class; I'm really happy to have a specific oil for the purpose. sport27.gif

The Coiled Serpent, Very nice and similar to Anne Bonny. Strong patchouli when first applied then gets a little sweet and incensy. A keeper! :P

Memo to Beth: Please, don't ever, ever discontinue this scent.

I have been searching for patchouli perfection. Perfection, thy name is Coiled Serpent.

I love patchouli, but I will admit that I don't like them all. Anne Bonny turned horribly rank on me. And I can't stand the patchouli of the Blue Skies bubble bar slice from LUSH. And so far, my quest for the perfect BPAL patchouli has been fun, but other than Depraved and maybe Imp, none of them have really done much for me, until now.

The Coiled Serpent is the most perfect, warm, smooth, inviting patchouli scent with what seems to be a very, very slight sweet incensey undercurrent of frankincense (???). It's bold, but warm and comforting in the way Loviatar is (which I had previously described as that warm hug from someone in a well-worn leather aviator jacket or that perfect, soft pair of worn-in jeans). It takes on an almost chocolate-like quality and melds into my skin beautifully.

Due to current logistics, I have yet to practice yoga while wearing this oil, but this is it...this is the one that makes me feel grounded and peaceful. I can't wait to use this in my yoga practice, but until then, I'll just have to be content with sniffing the comforting patchouli goodness.

Edited by spaceprostitute

This was a freebie in my latest order.

The Coiled Serpent is a patchouli lover's dream. It is strong, spicy, overpowering patchouli.

Did I mention that I hate patchouli?!

I got an imp of this blend with my last order. It greatly reminds me of the head shops I used to go to as a teen. It really smells of resins and herbs. There is a musky woody smell to it as well.

Memo to Beth:  Please, don't ever, ever discontinue this scent.

I would definitely echo this. Please understand, if I had known this was patchouli, I would never have smelled it, much less tried it. But for some reason, that isn't what I smelled. I could tell it was different from all the other imps I was trying.

I put it on lightly this morning, and noticed that people I interacted with seemed to be responding to be in a different way. I felt more connected to them.

I put on more at lunch. I don't want to be too specific about the benefits I have found with this oil, but I have been married five years. And tonight was truly incredible.

It is fitting that the coiled serpent is linked to your root chakra, and that your kundalini is connected with awakening of all kinds, including spiritual. I just finished reading The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, about a spiritual awakening to feminine divinity. SMK also talks briefly about how the serpent used to be associated with female spiritual power, pre-Judaism. I used imagery throughout the day of a serpent within my body, connecting me to the ground, and with myself.

I don't care if it is the timing of using this scent or if it is the scent alone. But it was too powerful of an experience for me to ever give this imp away.

I apologize that I don't have specific scent descriptions. This one for me is all about the feelings involved.

:P

This is one that I ordered an imp of based on the notes but received it as a lovely gift from the lab in an earlier order while awaiting the second one ... plus, a day earlier, everyone on the LUSH BPAL thread was telling me I had to try this so I was psyched!!!

BOTTLE: Not what I was expecting at all ... to my nose, at least, there was no patchouli or the figgy-chocolate scent people had spoken of. Just straight ahead pine, to the point of being Pine-Sol-ish. Very sharp.

WET: Pretty much the same as in the bottle. Very herbal and piney, not a bad thing per se, but not what I'd been hoping for or expecting ...

DRYDOWN: I kept waiting for the dark sweetness of fig or chocolate or at least the transporting scent of patchouli and it just never came out on me. It stays piney and herbal and dark and sharp. But there is something a little musty about it, as if I'd been in those woods just a little too long with the same clothes on.

Probably not a keeper for me which means when I get my act together and organize my next big swap list there will be two imps of this goodness! :P

REVISITED IN FEBRUARY 2013:

Gifted with an imp of this as lagniappe in a swap and so was happy to give this another shot, especially since I DO very much like patchouli and yet it didn't amp on me my first time around ... however, in the intervening years I no longer experience, shall we say, differing times of the month that might affect body chemistry LOL.

IN THE IMP: Sharp and acerbic. More herbal and piney than anything. Not bad but nothing special.

Double-dipping on this testing with the very floral Cordelia on the other arm, I played it a little safe and just went for the crook of the arm where there is a LITTLE more moisture to allow it to play wet and dry.

WET: Well, yes, finally got the patchouli. Mixed with the pine and green herbiness. It is definitely better on my skin than in the vial, a little softer and better rounded. Still sharp and strong and unique ...

DRYDOWN: I don't NOT like this. Not not at all. It is unique and complex and deep dark brownish-green. It is STRONG and has legs but is certainly not a wash-off.

OVERALL: It is MUCH better than the first time around. But it's just not something I could see having any occasion to reach for in my imp box or say "OH YEAH I want to wear The Coiled Serpent." And since there ARE people who feel that way, I will continue to pay it forward and put it into my swap box.

SCORE: On a scale of 1-5, a 3.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

First Impression: Very dry, patchouli and woods.

Second Impression: This is a very dry scent, far too dry for my tastes. I like patchouli when it is grounding sweeter scents, but here it's quite strong. The woods are very dry and sharp.

Final Analysis: Indeed a patchouli lovers dream.

Smells like a blend of patchouli and sandalwood, almost a bit like Delight, but different. It must have some kind of floral in there.

Yes, sandalwood, can smell it strong now. Very woody.

I don't know if this works for meditation any more than straight sandalwood or patchouli would. Maybe I need to trade this. It smells rather typical of the stuff I have been wearing for the last 15 years.

It does remind me of Cathedral, if it was mixed with Delight. I get a floral minty faint tone on the bottom of this one.

Edited by Madame Nyx

This one worried me in the vial. It was bitterly sharp and acridly green. It doesn't go sweet, though, unlike a lot of scents. If there isn't sandalwood or something of the sort in this, I'll bite my tongue off. Maybe musk. Everyone keeps saying patchoulipatchoulipatchouli but I get none of the usual patchouli scent that I loathe so.

And if there's vetiver in this, I'm astonished. The other blend I tried that DEF. had vetiver in it made my skin react in a bad way. There seems to be a light hint of spices -- although that could be the redhots I'm eating. Hee. It is warm and dry and just wonderfully nummy. I can definately picture a dry, warm serpent wrapped in a tight coil. It is wonderfully comforting in a way that is completely different than Sea of Glass.