Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

THE HARVESTERS
Pear trees, boiled oats, and wine beside a ripe field of wheat waving under a late-summer sun.

Wet: Pears & cinnamon and something warm and foodie
Dry: Warm and foodie (oats?) with little/no fresh pear left. Something buttery and sweet lurking in the background.

I like this, but not so much on my body. Would make a great fall room scent.

This is absolutely wonderful. I had high hopes because I love all the notes, and really enjoyed the oats in Gunpowder.

In The Harvesters, all the notes meld together to make a slightly sweet (but not foody), comforting blend. I was worried about it being too woody or too sweet from the wine or pear, but it's just perfect. I doesn't have too much throw, but is a gorgeous, close to the skin scent. I can see myself wearing this a lot.

Thank you so much Beth for the generosity in offering these bottles, and a giant thank you for marsmomma for picking up a bottle for me! :wub2:

Wow. This does something really magical on me. Honey isn't listed as one of the notes but it smells honeyed--must be the wine. I love how the wheat and grain notes are just bordering on the edge of foody but not dessert per se. They're warm, comforting and golden, just like wheat and grains that had been soaked in an autumn sun. Sometimes pear notes get too sweet on my skin but not here. The pear adds just enough sweetness but never grows cloying. Did I mention it lasts for ages? I am completely in love. :wub2:

I love the oats in Gunpowder, and I adore the lab's pear note. And wine's never a bad thing. :lol: So I knew I'd love this blend, and I do. The oats are warm, comforting, foody without being sickeningly sweet. I'm not sure if the lab has different wine notes, but this wine really reminds me of the honeyed red wine in my favorite, Athens.

So gorgeous, just the right amount of throw, and perfectly blended so all the notes are balanced. I want a bottle so bad now!

Thanks to Mellifluous for including a tester with my decants!

Pears, cinnamon and oats. This one is a warm, fruity, foodie.

Honestly, this smells like a pear tartine. It smells EPICALLY DELICIOUS. Fresh baked pear tart.

I now want either fresh baked apple or pear tarts.

OMG....WHAT!!!!

The fabulous Mellifluous very kindly (or very sadistically, LOL) included a little sniffie tester of this for free with his Yule circle decants.

I wasn't interested in tracking this down because I dislike smelling of pears. And wine.

What a fucking idiot I am.

This is...beautiful. I love it so much. Something about the way the notes blend together is just magic. It smells like...harvest time. LOL. All golden grains and smooth lazy end of summer and sunshine. There's just a touch of fruity sweetness, not much, and not cloying at all.

I need a bottle of this. :cry2:

I never would have thought I'd love this. Someone sent me an empty and I sniffed it and managed to eek out a tiny tiny bit to rub on my arm and I'm so in love. Sigh. Now that I read the description, it's totally oats and wine and pear, but I didn't know what it was, it's well blended. no spice on me, which is lovely and amazing given how I normally amp spices.

Many thanks to Mellifluous for including a sniffe with my decants!

In the decant: Wine-soaked pears w/ oatmeal near-by.

Wet: Much the same.

The dry-down: This is just so good. :) Not a morpher.

OctoberGwen, being the fabulous lady she is, generously passed her tester of this on to me :smile:

Soooo... hmmm... what an interesting little mix this is! When I first took the cap off of the vial (before I knew what any of the notes were), I swear I smelled apples. But no - no apples in here! So now I see the notes list, and I guess it was the pear that initially hit me... but this isn't the pear I'm used to with BPAL... it's beautifully juicy but not sweet, and with a distinctive woodsy undertone - not really obviously PEAR like it often is (like in The Vine, which was obvious PEAR to me).

Then when it first meets my skin - I get that warm, buttery, powdery-cloying thing that honey always gives me... so I'm thinking 'oh no, there's honey in here!' but no - no honey in here! So that must be the oats? Then that honey-like sweetness completely disappears (I mean - completely disappears!) and I can really smell the oats/wheat - it's a fresh, warm smell - kind of like the scent of bread baking, but not quite. Underneath all this is a subtle hint of the wine - nothing too obvious, but there's a definite bed of soft fruit with a hint of spice underneath everything else.

Once everything fully dries down, I am left with a soft and slightly woodsy pear that's lost the 'juicy' aspect and gone quite dry and dusky. And just the slightest hint of the spice/fruit from the wine. Very pretty, and quite unlike any other 'fruity' blend I've had from BPAL before. This does have a gorgeous summery-outdoorsy feel, but somehow it also feels like a cosy kitchen filled with the smells of warm bread and juicy wine.

Not a blind test, but all I remembered of the notes were grain and pears.

In Vitro Mild, possibly floral.

Wet A short-ranged, sweet throw during application. On my wrist it was pears and spice. The throw actually strengthened, which has not happened for me before, and on the skin the pear was joined by a rich wine-like scent. Very, very good.

Drying The throw lasted for half an hour, which for me is unprecedented. This initially dried to pear and spice and possible floral, with less of the wine note, but still very good. As the overall scent weakened the "floral" was replaced by wine, and it settled to a rich and lovely blend of pears, spice, and wine as it faded away.

Aside from opening once for a sniff when I received it, my bottle of the Harvesters has been untouched until this week so I can't compare aged to fresh. But I know I love the stuff I have now, and I will absolutely cherish this while it lasts because it not only smells great but also behaves beautifully on me.

In Bottle: Wine, pears, and a touch of oatmeal.

Wet on Skin: Oatmeal cookies and jam! That must be the pears/wine.

Dry: Still oatmeal cookies, but the pear is coming out nicely and lending a crisp, soft note. The wine has mellowed out and is giving it a little dark, syrupy note right under everything.

It is a gentle scent - not very strong - but very pretty. Foody, but not overwhelmingly sweet or buttery. I'm actually really surprised how much I love this.

Thanks to ladymeag for the decant!

In the decant: I smell the pear, oat, and wine notes.

Wet: The pear seems to be the dominant note on my skin, but I can still smell the oats and the wine. The boiled oats note is becoming stronger. It smells like a bowl of delicious oatmeal. Then, it becomes sweeter as the pear and wine take the main stage.

Dry: Pear and wine. The oat note is lingering in the background.

Verdict: This is a comforting scent! I don't feel the need to try and find more of this, but I am glad that I was able to try it! :]

In the bottle: nothing

Wet: I smell sweet light oatmeal and some pear

Drydown: I thought this would get stronger on drydown but it didn't. It stayed super light and barely there. But what I can smell when I sniff pretty hard is sweet yummy oatmeal with pears on top. And there is a sense of sunshine too. Not sure how to describe it but it's there. Sadly this was sooo light on the skin but if these notes were stronger and pronounced this would be a love for me. Had no throw and didn't last long. Bummer.

I tried this when I got it at will call, but I somehow never wore it again and forgot about its existence! But I'm glad I discovered it again. This is a nice one! In the bottle it's very strong and throws a lot, but it settles right down as it dries. On me it's warm and sweet, a nice blended pear-wine hybrid that wears pretty close to the skin but doesn't go all weird the way both of those notes have done for me in the past. It's grounded by a warm, dry quality that keeps it from being too cloying. So glad I hung on to this and didn't overlook it forever!

For some reason, I JUST found out about this....got a hold of a bottle, so here goes...

In bottle - a perfume-y wine. Not bad, pretty strong. Not getting other notes as of yet.

On skin - OOh this is very good! Instantly I get the pear and oats. It's sweet, but comforting. I think I am getting the wine note...I would guess this is more of a white wine than a red wine smell. I associate red wine as being more rich and thick, and this is pale and nice. Has a medium throw to me.

Dry down - Stays warm and comforting... the pear-wine note is very nice. If you are worried about any kind of wine notes, not to worry with this one. Has a good throw. On me, a little goes a long way. Very well rounded and balanced.