Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

this smells like coconut rum on me. and reminds me of some old perverted drunk dude. not my kinda scent, but interesting.

Holy smokes...that IS pirate rum! Rum doesn't really work on my skin, but I'm keeping this one out of the sheer novelty. It's a buttery, golden rum with a touch of sweetness to it--definitely top-shelf. I'm off to plunder and pillage now.

Holy crap, the rum! It's a loverly rummy goodness, but after a few minutes of wear I start to get sweets-headaches. I really like this one layered with Akuma (accidentally layered because I was testing both today)--Grog lightens the WOW! Flowers! part of Akuma and Akuma makes Grog less tooth-achingly sweet. Unfortunately, this isn't something I plan to take home a bottle of.

Initially it smelled just like those golden butterscotch hard candies. Then I figured out what it *really* reminded me of: Bailey's Irish Cream. Slightly boozy, mostly rich and candied.

It wasn't too strong, lasted a few hours but faded more than most BPAL scents do.

I'd give it a 3 out of 5 for those that like foody scents.

Sweet dark spiced sugarcane RUM...

I *LOVE* this, sadly I can't wear it often, as I own a liquor store and don't want my customers to think I'm sampling the products on the job. :P

Grog

In the imp: sweet buttery rum. I quite like this, actually. I just hope it's nice on my skin.

Wet on skin: the rum note gets stronger. I love the sugary note that this has, it's like caramel.

Dry on skin: mmm, this isn't bad. It's very boozy, that's for sure, but not unpleasantly so for the time being. It's got a nice sugary note reminiscent of Sugar Skull. It also has a slight dusty note as well, which reminds me of Midway and Spooky. However, this seems to go nicely with the scent as a whole, and it's almost like a dusty wood scent in here. I quite like the 'boozy toffee' scent this has, but I'm not sure about the buttery throw this has-I get a sweetly buttery scent around me but it doesn't smell like that on my wrist.

After a while: is that coconut? I think I'm getting a very pleasant coconut scent now. Yup, I think it's rum and coconut, which always go nicely together. I still get a hint of that caramelised sugar, but now the rum note is nicely muted and coconut has appeared. I don't get a buttery throw now-I get a coconut whiff around me which my mum noticed and complimented me about!

Verdict: I was a bit apprehensive about trying this because some booze scents are too much for me to handle-but this one surprised me in the most pleasant way. At first it's like butterscotch and rum, the rum note is strong but not overwhelming, and it's supported by a lovely caramel scent. Eventually coconut makes it's appearance and the scent eventually becomes a delightful scent of sugary rum and coconut, and I really like this. I'm not sure if I want a bottle yet but I really like this fun and summery sweet rum scent, and if that really is what pirates drink, I want to be a pirate myself…arrr!

avast!

smells like buttered rum lifesavers, only with a shot of malibu on the side, this you must understand is not a bad thing.

I was a little worried, boozy scents normally dont like me, but this is beyond gorgeous.

it's really lovely and has a good throw...

Wow. This is definitely buttered rum. I love the booziness of this, and it's very warm sweet and cozy. Unfortunately, I was hoping for more creaminess than butter, but it's definitely a butter note. I just don't think I can do the butter smell. It's far too foody for me to want to smell all day, and this scent definitely sticks around.

In the imp: I think my reaction was an exclamation of "Jesus Christ!" This is a strong foody scent with a lot of butter, and it triggered a gag reflex for me. With the exception of vanilla, I don't have a lot of experience with foody notes, and they often surprise me. I had a similar reaction to Devil's Night, which ended up lovely on my skin.

Wet: Exactly as it was in the bottle. Unless this morphs a lot, it will not work out for me.

Dry-down and wear: Much like DN, this becomes much more palatable on my skin after it dries down a bit. The buttered scent goes away very quickly, and leaves the smell of quality alcohol (as someone commented upthread, this is top-shelf stuff). However, I don't like the drydown quite as much as I like the smoke of DN--I'm not a rum person (gin and single malts are my preference). I think this one will go to the swap pile.

This is the foodiest blend I have ever tried. It smells incredibly appealing-- butterscotch, brown sugar, and rum-- I would love this as a flavoring oil. It dries down to a kind of sweet, buttery, gamey tobacco on me. This is definitely not a scent I could wear, but it's just stunningly food-like. I am impressed!

Oh wow. Grog is definitely foody (butterscotch/sweet) and boozey. Unfortunately, I'm not a pirate and I don't want to smell like pirate rum!

butter! buttermints....is that what you call those little gold disc hard candies? this smells like a melted tub of those, with a bit of booze. it's really, really sweet and foody on me. maybe a better room scent than perfume for my taste...but for foody lovers, i think this would be great!

I love butterscotch. I always have. To this day, I'll raid my mom's candy jar at her office and pick out all the golden-yellow-wrapped butterscotch candies. I haven't even opened the vial yet (just did a little twist on the stopper) and I can smell butterscotch candy. Yum!

On me, it's ... ah, heavenly butter rum! Definitely not the butterscotch in the vial; it's definitely more rummy and boozy than butterscotch candy. And it's not even plain rum, either. It's spiced coconut rum! I feel like I could be sitting on the beach with a drink in hand right now. It's foody, boozy, butter rum goodness.

I think I'm going to need a 5ml of this. Savvy? 8.5/10.

I chose Grog because I'm madly in love with Elegba, which I'm out of until my next shipment comes in.

The first impression from the imp is Whoa! Booze! All I'm getting is rum, very strong rum.

Wet on my skin, Grog is very medicinal...it smells exactly like this horrible cough syrup my doctor used to prescribe when I was sick. So it's not bringing up pleasant sensations at this stage.

However, on dry down, it becomes all Butterscotch and rum. With a hint of coconut in the background. Which I'm REALLY liking. :P

This is a really nice substitue for Elegba, though I think I like it better than Grog still...Elegba's top note on me is the coconut, and the tobacco in Elegba gives in a nice earthiness that Grog doesn't have. Grog is really sweet and yummy, but not something I'd wear every day...I'll keep the imp for special, piratey occasions.

In the bottle: smells exactly like Butter Rum Life Savers.

Applied: smells exactly like Butter Rum Life Savers. It’s making me hungry, but like most rum scents, this is not something that I can really wear as a perfume. Unlike other rum scents, this one is not as sharp, although the rum does come out more on the skin—but not in the really, piercingly sharp way that rums usually do on me. So it would be possible for me to wear it as a perfume, but I probably won’t anyway. Out of the alcoholic notes, the lighter ones (like champagne and white wine) suit me better as body scents.

This is a really yummy scent, though. If I don’t find someone who really wants the imp, I’ll probably just use it up as a room scent. In fact, this is a perfect home scent for the holidays. (I wonder why this isn’t a seasonal offering?)

On a scale of 1 to 5: 4.

at first: wow! strong, sweet, thick rum.

on: thick, heavy, buttery rum.

1.5 hours later: still butter, sweet, and boozy. very nice.

3 hours later: pretty much gone.

overall: this is fun, but i don't think i'd wear it often. i have other, more interesting boozy scents that work better on my skin.

I picked this one out because, hey, who doesn't like rum? When I first pulled it out of its packaging, though, I started having second thoughts. After much debate, I decided to go ahead and try it. After all, how it smells on the imp doesn't necessarily say how it's going to smell on me...

Fresh From The Imp: Take a pound of butterscotch hard candies and a pint of rum. Boil them down in a pot until you wind up with a thick liquid. Throw some butter in there. Now you've got what I smelled when I opened the imp. Tasty, but as a perfume?

Wet On My Flesh: Now there's a hint of coconut. It's greatly reminding me of these cookie bars I make every so often, with butterscotch chips, coconut, sweetened condensed milk and graham cracker crumbs. The alcoholic scent is no longer present. But why is the rum gone?

Drying Down: Buttered plastic. No coconut, no butterscotch, and definitely no rum.

Hour To Integrate: Oh, ew. Fresh Barbie plastic. I'm not getting any of the other notes. Apparently I've found one of those "special" notes that turns to plastic on me. Joy.

End Of Day/Final Report: Despite my brother's insistence that this smells good ("Like vanilla"), I'll not be keeping it. Into the swap pile with this one!

Well poo. This has to be my biggest BPAL disappointment to date.

In the imp, Grog smells like amazing buttery, boozey rum. I couldn't wait to get it on my skin and have the scent morph and turn into my dream pirate scent.

On my skin, it immediately and definitively morphed into burning rubber. Seriously, it smelled like my car did the time a chunk of tire got sucked into the exhaust. Awful. Horrible.

Of course, for the love of BPAL, I held my arms far away from my nose and soldiered on. It took about two hours, but the final drydown is sweet and sugary. It smells like the shells of Cadbury mini eggs. That's a very very good thing, but is it worth two hours of burning rubber? I'm thinking no.

So sad.

This is an all-around fun concept for a scent. Much more complex than I expected--I love Jolly Roger and Port-au-Prince on Brian, and I thought Grog might be the most single-note of the piratical scents. Nope! It's the foodiest, though. Very sweet, a butterscotch scent with boozy undertones. This reminds me more of Gluttony than anything, just for the heavy, sticky sweetness (but with coconut instead of hazelnut). I don't see Brian wearing this--it's just SO foody--but it's still fun.

Why is all the rum gone? Beth took it and put it in Grog.

pirate.gif

Wow that's a lot of booze. Good thing I like boozey scents!

It smells almost exactly the way Elegba does (without the tobacco) and Hellcat does, but stronger. A very strong butterscotch. I can almost get drunk just by sniffing it. It smells EXACTLY like a Buttery Nipples shot. The only thing putting me off is that these 3 fragrances smell so similar on me and if I had to choose one, I'd choose Elegba over this. I still like it though, of course. It's a booze lovers' dream.

Edited by strawberry star

Smells *just* like rum and butter and sugar and...geez, I could almost get drunk just smelling this! It made me giggle :D I can't figure out when I would wear it as a scent, though. Maybe before I go out with friends for drinks, just to set the mood :P It's soooo rich smelling, so yummy. Gave me a craving for hot buttered rum, with Captain Morgan, of course. Avast, ye poxy seadogs!

This is so buttery, so boozy, and extremely sweet in the imp. It's sort of icky. Even on my skin, it has a layer of sugar and butter, and I almost don't want to smell it anymore... but then it begins to calm the heck down, and I've been looking for something sort of like this for a while now. I smell coconut! It's still a bit sugary, but it's also spicy and smooth and I'm really enjoying it. Must subject it to further scrutiny, but I'm thinking I may want a bottle eventually.