Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

This was a delicious, sweet, rich buttered rum in the bottle, and an absolute delight to sniff. The moment it hit my skin, it turned to pure, bitter alcohol and stayed that way until I couldn't bear it any longer and washed it off. I was so looking forward to it, too.

On the bright side, the imp found a new home with a friend who it suits far, far better. :P

Just yesterday I was hanging out with my mom and she mentioned how much she loved the smell of butterscotch (she was admiring a new lotion of mine) and I was wishing that I knew of a perfume that I could get her with a similar scent. This isn't a pure butterscotch on me, of course, with the boozy rum in certain stages... but it is mostly a warm golden silky butterscotch scent. My mother is now absolutely fawning over the imp :P

I had really, really high hopes for this one and at first whiff I felt that they were justified, creamy smooth butterscotch :P . But then I sniffed something sour in the background. As the blend dried on me it got sourer and sourer, and then it began to turn into an ashtray scent. The sweetness was still there and I can see how gorgeous this could be, but apparently not on me :D .

Okay, now I know that it was the butter (maybe not -scotch, but still) that ruined Gluttony for me :D

Grog (oh, how I wanted for you to be mine! :P) is a lighter version, but still. VERY butterscotch. And somehow, buttercreamyscotchy notes and my nose will not even say hello to each other, it´s a crime against nature or something. When I first smelled Gluttony (from a closed imp..) it made me gag. This one I´m able to wear, but I don´t think I will wear it again.

Why??? I want to be a pirate too! Luckily, I can stick with Black Pearl; works like a charm with me :D

Whoa! This has got to be the strongest bpal oil I've tried yet!! I put a little bit on the top of my hand, and it was so strong I was almost overwhelmed. It's a very buttery rum smell, like butterscotch schnapps. Pleasantly surprising as I was expecting it to smell more like Captain Morgan's. I'm a foody lover, so I really do enjoy this scent, but it may be a little too strong, even for me. I'll just have to remember to use it quite sparingly. All in all, I think Grog is a masterpiece, and if you are looking for something with throw, here it is!! :P

In Bottle: Butterscotch!!

On Skin: Hmmm… warm butterscotch, very buttery! I don’t really smell rum though at least not the rum I’m used to, I’ve never had buttered rum. As it dries it gets really dry and powdery scented which I don’t really like because it tickles my nose. Kind of tropical, do I smell coconut as well? It doesn’t seem like a very wearable scent though, much too foody, people around you would ask if you had anymore butterscotch candy left and their stomachs would be growling.

In the bottle: OMG Butter Rum lifesavers!

On me:

Morphs into a buttery light sweet scent, after going through a playdoh stage. Sort of like flowery carmel corn.

I like this a lot, but more as a room scent.

I received this as a bonus in a trade, and it was something I definitely had thought I'd like but wasn't going to order for quite a while.

In the bottle, the smell made me queasy. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to try it on my skin, but some accidentally got on me. It was just a teeny bit (on my leg, no less) but I could smell it all day and it didn't get any better. I couldn't really detect anything but butter, although it was obviously more complex than that, but overall it just made me feel ill.

My reaction to Grog made me decide against ordering Shill, which had sounded amazing. This is the first BPAL oil that I absolutely hated. :P

I'll make this one quick.

Rum. Butter Rum Lifesavers. Those Butterscotch hard candies in the yellow wrap.

I smell like them now.

I don't know if I like that or not.

Y'know those "Werther's Originals" candies?

Grog smells just like how they taste, with some rum thrown on top. Kind of like butterscotch schnapps. Exactly like butterscotch schnapps, actually.

In other words - wonderful!

Wow. I guess I haven't really tried a sweet BPAL scent, and all the while I had been thinking that the initial "bubblegum" note of some of my favorites was sweet! I received an imp of this and from just sniffing it it smelled like melted butterscotch with about ten pounds of sugar added. Being more of a flowery person myself, I tried this one on at bedtime, so if it was horrible I could just sleep it off.

Oddly enough, I liked it. It started off just as sweet as it had been in the vial, but after about half an hour it began to mellow and get a bit creamier. Then, after another half an hour something that could have potentially spoiled the whole scent happened - it picked up this smokey note that's pretty common with my chemistry. Usually, this is a bad thing, in this case, it was for the best! I had this gorgeous, sexy, smokey thing going on that tempered the absolute sweetness of the butterscotch.

If I need a bit of a change from my regular floral or fruity preference, I would definitely consider getting a bottle of this.

This one makes me crave the butterscotch candy discs my grandpa kept in his candy dish when I was a kid. I'm not one for foody scents, but I love sniffing my imp and remembering the happiness at my grandparent's house. Butterscotch, but also boozy sweet cordials, like a Buttery Nipple shot!

I wore Grog today for the first time, and I didn't get a chance to write out a real review of it yet, but I did want to say this for now: after a few hours of being on me, it smelled exactly like Midway! The butter scent really came out with a vengeance after awhile, and the butter is what comes out on me most with Midway. Does this happen to anyone else?

Grog came as a freebie in my last order and gosh, it is wonderful!

The rum note fades quickly on me and gives way to a definite butteriness that I find delicious, but I can see how it would be a bit too much for some folks.

Very reminiscent of a lighter, less layered Midway... including the unfortunate plastic smell that shows up halfway through drydown and thankfully ends up going away.

I was intrigued by Grog, even though I do not know if I would have ordered it. So I am very grateful that I got to try it. I may not need more than an imp of it, though. This is not an everyday kind of scent to me.

In the bottle: Sweet! Very...buttery. Butter and sugar, but a bit warmer than Jack comes off. I can smell a /bit/ of rum in it, but it's mostly sweet butter.

Wet: Sweet butter and caramel. It smells more like Cracker Jacks to me, than grog.

Dry: Still smells of cracker jacks. If they wanted to have a /real/ carnival scent, I swear, this would be it. It makes me wonder where the peanuts are. It also has a lot of throw, which is somewhat bollixing my other tests at the moment. :P;

Final Opinion: Where has all the RUM gone?! That's it in a nutshell, really. I can't find -any- rum in it, just brown sugar, butter, and a subtly salty edge that makes me think irrevocably of cracker jacks. I like it, I suppose (because I like cracker jacks) but... really, I don't think I want it for a perfume. Someone might try to bite me.

Why I was wantin' to try it: To me eternal shame, I'm not kowning about pirate rum, matey, but I love me some of that thar bay rum, so anchors away! How could a salty dog like me not be trying the Grog?

In the bottle and wet: I'm wantin' some of them Butter Rum Lifesavers, arrr!

Drying down: Cursed be, 'tis more butter than rum. This old pirate ain't sure if Cap'n Beth's butter note be working with me skin chemistry.

Dry: Aye, 'tis so. Alas, there be something in the butter note that be smelling strongly of chemicals on me. I'll be swabbing the deck and me arm at the same time, arrrr!

Edited by telesilla

:D

butterscotch boozy goodness indeed!

i am so thrilled with this scent i can hardly contain myself!! :P

this is a very strong blend and i adore the long lasting power of Grog....

a delightfully fun scent....the butterscotch settles down after a bit and

then the rummy boozy aroma comes shining through.... :D

Wet: XXXtreme butterscotch! Wow. I kinda like this, which is amazing because I hate sweet/foody scents. I'm vacillating between being horrified and delighted by the scent wafting off my wrist.

Drydown: Well, nuts. The butterscotch has softened, which would be good EXCEPT that that's made it possible for the plastic undertone that ruined Spooky and Milk Moon to creep out. Damnit. Oh well. Another unwearable scent for me. Stupid body chemistry. And I so wanted to be a pirate.

Grog is spectacularly bad on me. It starts out overwhelmingly sweet, with a slight boozy tinge, but ultimately ends up smelling exactly like imitation :P maple flavoring extract (not to be confused with smelling like actual maple, which is yum). I am very sad because I wanted to smell all rummy and delish.

I had major problems with both Gluttony and jack, so when I heard about Grog's ultra-sweet impressions I held off on ordering it, though I was incredibly curious. It seemed impossible not to compare it to my experiences with the other two scents.

Enter the lab with a frimp, and...what do you know? i love it!

Grog starts out all butterscotch- so sweet that you can almost feel sugar grains between your teeth as you sniff it. Next comes rum, and then...whiskey?

In any case, the sweetness is perfect (especially in the context of autumn), and the booze makes it a blend rather than a butterscotch single note. Grog doesn't smell like a terribly complex creation, and thank goodness, because one more step in any direction would have propelled it into the realm of headache-inducer.

Instead, Beth created an a crystalline sort of sweetness that, if applied sparingly, is evocative and comforting and childlike.

In bottle: Whoo! It's a wonder that pirates were able to accomplish much in the way of pillage and plunder as they did with this stuff available by the cask. Strong, sweet, kind of sickening, and I already know the boozy note won't work on me. Such is the allure of BPAL that I must press forward anyway. It took a few weeks to screw up the courage to try it on.

Wet, on skin: The metallic rum phase, as expected, and sweet!

Dries down to a butterscotch disc. Considering I knew it wouldn't work from the get-go, it's not that bad, it just ain't it for me.

Bottle : Butterscotch. Perfect butterscotch.

Skin: The rum appears out of nowhere and dominates the scent. However, the throw is non-existant and the scent quickly becomes beer spilling onto stone-like smell. Did not work to well on my skin.

Burner: Very nice here. The rum and butter mix very well together. Subtle, but strong and smells great.

Not meant to be worn on me, but clearly belongs in a burner. Very good scent. 7/10.

Grog is a gorgeous, buttery rum scent. Perfect for these autumn days when the the leaves are golden, light starts to dim in late afternoon, and even early evening gives the sense that anything could happen in these dark, cobblestone streets.

In the bottle: Rich, delicious butterscotch.

At first applicatoin: Creamy buttery rum.

Later: Delightful, relaxing, creamy buttered rum.

I've seen Grog recently listed on a drink menu at a bar here intown. I was hesitant to order it...but NOW...I have to!!

Since opening the imp I've ended up wearing this a lot. It's been segregated from my other imps because the scent is so strong that my whole imp box smells of Grog. At first it smells like coconut coffee on me so I'm not sure what's different about my skin. Very strong gourmand with buttery caramel notes. This smells like candy. Then it quickly becomes all about rum. However it loses most of its strength and becomes a very mild background scent... almost like I spilled a drink some where earlier in the night. As strong as it starts in the bottle though, it still fades quickly on me (within minutes), leaving just a trace of a vague buttery scent. Could be nice, but in the end it's probably just not me.