Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

In bottle: Mmmm… Rum, sweet and boozey. Wet: A bit less sweet on the skin, but basically BPAL’s delicious rum note. There may be a hint of coconut here. My skin loves the dark liquors and I’m surprised I haven’t tried this before. Dry: I’d swear this is coconut rum. It wears well, fading slowly to a soft background. Slightly more coconuty proportionally as it wears.

This is lovely rich butterscotch, rum and coconut - but doesn't give off the 'doused in alcohol' air that I often get from the boozier scents. It's more like a coconut caramel rum truffle. I'm not sure where I would wear this but I'll hang onto my imp :)

I received this Imp today as a freebie with my order of bottles. Upon first sniff I thought "Oh snap, that's eat me!" It doesn't smell like Rum, it smells like butterscotch and sugary vanilla icing and has a boozy sharp note... but it's not Rum...

Wet-- Still smells like eat me. Not quite as cakey or creamy. Much stronger, definitely alcoholic. Not sure if I like it. I wanted something like a spicier Eat me, but this doesn't seem to be it. :/

Drying-- Coconut? Toasted Coconut? Hmm... I smell a little bit more Rum... It's kinda like if Alice decided to have a drunken pirate tea party. I decided to do a side by side comparison to Eat me because I was sure I was crazy at this point.

and NOPE-- Grog dry smells like wet Eat me with an alcoholic twinge. It doesn't however have the tea scent that keeps the sickeningly sweet from over powering everything.

I'll pass on this one. Too too sweet, and it won't come off!!! D:

In the Imp (ITI): Woo, that's spiced buttered rum, alright.

Wet: The buttered aspect of the rum amps on my skin, although it is also rather boozy while still wet.

Dry: I get more caramelized sugar, melted butter, and spiced rum, but there is something that has gone a little plastic-y.

First Sniff: Buttered rum with some licorice.

Wet: Buttered rum at first and then plywood.

Dry: As it dried, the plywood stuck around which was not pleasant. I’m still getting buttered rum and I think I can pick out some sweet caramel too.

My Reaction: The rum and the slight hint of caramel are lovely, but the overlying note of plywood is not. Sadly, I did not get coconut or coconut rum with this at all. And honestly, I did not expect Grog to smell sweet, but rather have some orange peel in it mixed with a salty aquatic. The plywood note could be reminiscent of a pirate ship, but I envision that being more of a wet wood smell rather than dry, freshly cut plywood.

Rating 1-5: 2

Blind test.

In Vitro Strong butterscotch booze.

Wet At first sniff this was artificial butterscotch or caramel and I worried that the Lab had sent me a frimp of Miskatonic University. Then something else emerged but remained secondary to the artificial flavor.

Drying A plastic note came to the fore. This wasn't Misk. U but it wasn't something I much liked either. For the next two hours, plastic and butterscotch took turns being the dominant note. Much later the last of the sweet plastic disappeared and a very faint, sweet spice remained. Too little, too late.

Aside: the throw from the capped imp was so strong that I had to move it away from my bedside. My poor Grateful Dead teddy bear, who holds my imps while they're in use, reeked of Grog for two days.

What can I sat about Grog that has not already been said? Well add to me the legions that get butterscotch booze, which is great as I love me some butterscotch! I also agree that there is a almost coconut like aspect to Grog as well. I was so happy to find Grog as a stand in for my beloved Creepy. They share that wonderfully sweet buttery coconut rum aspect. :yum:

In the imp: Wow, thats buttered rum!

On skin: Stays buttered rum

This is a sweet blend, very boozy and buttery. Reminds me of those hard butter rum candies in liquid form.

I: Sweet, coconutty butterscotch.

Wet: The same sweet coconut but with strong tropical booziness coming through.

Dry: Yup. Very sweet and foody coconut rum. Nice enough, but too boozy for me.

In the vial: liquid butterscotch

Wet: Boozy butterscotch. Sweet, buttery, and alcoholic. It’s mostly wafts of butterscotch from farther away. It’s kind of a strange combination.

Dry: The alcohol goes the way of the cleaning products after 20 minutes, and the butterscotch smell is sickeningly, cloyingly sweet. There’s a tiny hint of coconut and maybe grapefruit. I thought I might have to wash it off, but after a few more minutes, it kind of calms down into sweet booze with the tiny hints of coconut, aquatics, and fruit. I don’t think it’s really for me.

In the bottle:

RUM! Butter Rum though. Not super sharp, but you know it's got a punch.

Wet:

Butter Rum! Less alcoholic bite and more butter.

This is awesome! Like the best butter rum candy I could ever have! Seriously, there is a moment where I want to lick my arm :yum: This will be awesome on those days where I want to wear something super fun and yummy.

A good sharp, home made butterscotch! As it dries, it gets sharper, but still retains the yummy candy scent to it. Not something I would wear enough to need more than an imp, but boy is this a good one!

While this is not something I can imagine pirates drinking as it just smells too sweet, it is delicious. It reminds me of a drink I used to make in college to watch football games: butterscotch schnapps and rum, usually in hot chocolate only this doesn't have any chocolate. Sugary, caramel, rich. Less boozy than I would've thought. Buttery with a hint of vanilla. If this be pirate grog, they be some big softies arr!

In the imp: spicy mead! Golden honey. Not so much of the rum, but mmmmmmm.

Applied: rich, dreamy butterscotch.

Drydown: Ugh … there's the alcohol; it sours, and quickly. This is ... ugh. No, not so much for me.

I recently got this as a frimp from the lab. It totally smells drinkable through coffee, but I won't even consider it. For all I follow some other warnings they have (hair gloss, mild allergic reactions to some scents that I really do like) So, this one does morph on me, but it's a fun one. I may have to consider getting a bottle on this.

Both in the bottle and when it first goes on, it reminds me so strongly of the bottle I make of coffee flavoring (instead of adding a sugar) for work. That one consists of gingerbread, vanilla and caramel, and it has an almost alcoholic scent in it, which this has the almost exact same scent. It has a strong throw when it first goes on. So, I figure that must be the rum coming out. Throughout the day, it slowly melds to a salt scent. The throw goes down considerably, but others can faintly get the vanilla and spice when they get close.

Like I said, this was a fun one. It did last close to four hours total, so I did reapply part way through the day.

(Usual disclaimer: I'm the World's Worst Drinker, so I'm afraid I don't have any real rum scent profile to compare this to.)

In the imp: Very, very rich, but in a more buttery-sugary-sweet way than anything, with some slight spice to it - I almost want to call this a gourmand.

Wet: The first thing I get is, of all things, burnt sugar??? Still pretty darn rich, in a foody way, overall. I'm going to have to add my voice to the legions describing it as butterscotch(y booze). Not quite the intense, heady, badass scent I had imagined, but just as enjoyable, albeit in a very different way.

Dry: A soft, spicy amber-vanilla - think The Lion meets slightly aged Snake Oil. Delicious!

This scent is just simply RUM! It's a sweet slightly coconutty rum. Would be a delicious drink and it works as a perfume because of the sweetness. I don't think it's too boozy. It's just light and tasty. Perfect pirate's rum! :yum: Low throw and staying power.

In the imp: Booooooze. Sweet.

Wet on my skin: Sweet, sugary buttered rum. Almost butterscotch.

Dry: The sugar in this starts to fade a little as it wears, but not much. It's sweet almost-butterscotch rum, similar to that in Elegba. I swear I detect a bit of coconut in this, too. It's actually a fairly simple scent, but not bad for those who like sweet and/or boozy blends.

I got this is an frimp (thankee :) ) and straight off the bat wasn't too sure about it... I'm definitely not usually into boozy scents, or anything very sweet and buttery but I decided to try it out anyway just to see :)

In the imp: Smells like straight up Baileys Irish Cream. Very, very sweet, butterscotch and booze. It also smells very creamy, like melted vanilla ice cream. Yummy but also a little sickening!

Wet: Yep, same as in imp. Maybe a tiny bit more fruity, the way brown sugar smells fruity...

Dry: Less creamy now, it smells more like rum then Baileys. Also the brown sugar has become burnt brown sugar and it's very overpowering!

Well, this perfume smells like dark rum and burning sugar. It does remind me of something pirates would drink, but it's not really something I want to smell like!

I so hate leaving negative reviews, but this is going to have to be one of those rare occasions. I got this as a frimp and to be honest, I only put it on out of an OCD sense of completionism - the smell from the imp was more than enough to convince me I'd hate it. It's not butterscotch for me, or booze, or caramel; it's a sticky, sweet, nausea-inducing horridness that somehow lingers even after I recap the imp. On my skin it's not quite as bad - but by "not quite", I mean I could maybe rate it one star instead of zero. After ten or so minutes it goes from indescribable sickliness to chemical butterscotch with coconut overtones. The throw is incredibly strong, but since I washed it off after half an hour, I couldn't speak to how long it lasts. My guess would be forever. :/

Between this and the way some of the other rum-inspired behaved on me lately, I suspect I am not someone whose skin chemistry plays nicely with foodie scents. A couple of the chocolate or sugar ones have been bearable, but I think in future, I'll stick to my resins and mosses.

In the imp, pineapple butterscotch! On me, butterscotch, heavy on the candy, light on any hint of booze. My teen son LOVES it, and has taken custody of the imp, which is just as well because it's too foody for me.

This started out as butterscotch then after a few hours turned into a spicy floral. I put it on my terracotta scent pendant, and it stayed true to butterscotch goodness!

Wet, for one glorious instant, this smells so much like Red Lantern. Caramelly Rum, with almost a touch of coconut. But then my skin warms it and it morphs.

Currently, it's gone sort of "dry and dusty" as some foodie scents occasionally do on me. Still butterscotchy, not too much booze, but that weird dustiness. It's now reminding me more of Butterscotch Balls and Black Beetles, but not as rich. It's getting more and more powdery, and I don't think it's going to recover at this point.

Sad, it started out amazing for a split second, before my skin ruined it!