Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

GROG -- Arrr! Avast ye, matey! This be the scent of pirate rum!

Looks like I'm the first one...I don't know if I'm qualified for this...

In the bottle: This is *very* strong and smells exactly like liquid butterscotch. It has a creaminess to it that made me want to put it on right away.

On: This one smells about the same dry as it does wet. Though the drydown mellows the smell a bit and mixes better with my body chemistry.
It still smells A LOT like butterscotch but there's definitely a booziness there. It smells exactly like this shot I absolutely adore. It's called a Misdemeanor (1/2 crown royal, 1/2 butterscotch liquer).

All in all, this is definitely NOT how I expected this to smell, but I can definitely see how it fits. It smells a bit tropical, way boozy and debauch. I don't know if I could wear this since it is super strong on me but it makes me want to get a drink :P

EDIT: I changed the color of the Lab's description - it doesn't show up in aquamarine, at least not on the plain skin. --Shollin Edited by clover

In the bottle- WOW- it came across so strong and so sweet that I had to pull the vial away from me.

On me, Grog is sweet, buttery, boozy and a bit tropical. It is not so overpowering on me as it was when I first tried it from the vial. If not for the buttery scent I am picking up I would think I was smelling a Pina Colada. It is very nice, but a bit too sweet for me.

Initial Impression:

Mmm sweet and rummy. Love the smell of rum, LOVE IT.

After Wearing It:

Ohgodsohgodsohgods, this is so lovely. Wet, Grog is much sweeter, creamier and more buttery than I would have imagined. It was so yummy that after just dabbing it on and sniffing it, I immediately went back to the bottle and put more on because I want to reek of it! It was just sweet, lightly-but-well spiced, boozy perfection that I wanted to drink down.

This scent really put me into a party mood almost immediately. I really mourned the fact that it was Monday night and I couldn't go out after putting it on. But I felt that same happy glow with grog that I feel with a good buzz. It gave me a terrible case of the smiles that I rarely achieve stone sober, and it elevated my mood to that buoyant place normally reached by a really great night out. Nothing masculine about it at all during the first few hours. It's not feminine, but it's not masculine either, so I would really suggest that all of the ladies here who are buying this scent for a guy in their life to try it themselves first. You may find this is way too good for them!

In the last stages of Grog, the sweet, creamy elements of the fragrance mutes a bit and the spiciness and heat of it goes way up. It does get more masculine, but not so much so that it would smell out of place on a female. It still stays strong and gives off a lot of throw as well (I put it on about 7 hours ago), so it's a real winner as far as staying power goes.

If pirates rum tastes this good, I'd definitely give up my life of fairly good morals and try to revive the life of debauchery and robbery at high seas. The tarnish on my karma would be worth the life of good feeling! :P Gods I love this!!

Final Thoughts:

I've always loved rum as a note in more complex blends, but I wasn't so sure about having it alone as a fragrance so Grog wasn't high up on my list. But this proved to really be an instance where Beth knew best, and I'm soooo grateful for her sending me a bottle of this. If this is the rum note that shows up in Egg Nog, that scent is going to be positively divine!

ooooooooooooooooo it's all for me grog

me jolly jolly grog

it's all for me grog and tobacco

errr wait

very rummy and buttery, but i disagree with whomever said it was like the old hellfire. the old hellfire was more stale popcorn. this is more buttershots and rum.

mmmm butterscotch

Butterscotch is right. Supersweet butterscotch at first.

Then it turns into vanilla ice cream drenched in hot butterscotch.

Then it's butterscotch with rum and extra butter.

It smells like Hot Buttered Rum! And now I can't wait for Christmas because hot buttered rum is the best drink for Christmas, especially if it's snowing.

ADDED 4/15/07:

Yummy sweet butterscotch. Gets a bit of a burnt sugar smell that I quite like.

Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirate's life for me! Avast! Ahoy there, me hardys! Arrrrrrr!

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)

In the vial: Smells like a rum ball. :P Delicious!

Wet, on my skin: Still smells like a decadent, chocolatey rum ball. I guess I was expecting something more "piratey" but this smells great! And it is a wonderful comfort scent.

On drydown: Smells less like a rum ball and more like hot buttered rum. A buttery note has definitely come out on drydown. Now it reminds me a bit of Hellcat, but I like Grog much, much more!

Scentgasm, yay! :P

In the vial, Grog is all butterscotch -- no rum, just liquid butterscotch.

On me, it's a lighter, less intense version of Sugar Skull -- still goopy butterscotch and rum, but it's all nice and sugary.

Holy Jack Sparrow, Batman, 'tis grog, arrrrrh!

matey, this be the warmest richest butterscotch rum ive ever smelled - its a BIG scent (it lasted on me for a whole day into night!) and is so undeniably rich and delicious - there is a popcorn edge to it at first but the drydown and everlasting scent is predominantly butter-scotch with a lil booze (and coconut? am i imagineing things?) this would be the most fabulous conditioner or lotion scent!!!

I got an imp of this as a gift from the lovely Sigh! :P

First sniff:

Butter Rum Lifesavers! God, that scent takes me back. I never would have imagined pirate rum would smell so spectacularly rich and buttery. This is absolutely gorgeous. :D

Wet on skin:

The candy sweetness is gone and now it smells like true buttered rum. Buttery and spicy and rich and good enough to drink. This is fantastic! I never would have thought it would be so rich smelling. I can tell right now this is going to be one of my absolute favorites. :D

Dry down:

Buttery spiced rum, like buttered rum made with Captain Morgan's. This scent is absolutely gorgeous. I've had my nose glued to my wrist the entire day, which is a huge compliment coming from me since smelling something for too long tends to give me a headache. This is a hundred times more gorgeous than I ever thought it would be. It's going on the big bottle wishlist immediately. :D

The bottom line:

Gorgeous, mouth-watering buttered rum. I don't particularly feel like wearing an eyepatch and shouting "Ahoy, maties!" while I'm wearing it, but such sacrificies can be made for something that smells so amazingly gorgeous. Grog for everyone! :D

Mmmm ...

On application, it immediately (and pleasantly) smelled like buttery rum. It made me think of sitting in front of a fireplace on a cold winter night with a nice mug of something yummy. :D

After about 25-30 minutes the buttery element mellowed down ... it still smelled like buttered rum, but the "butter" note was milder and the rum came more to the forefront. This might be a chemistry thing, since it sounds like on some of us the butter element gets stronger, and on some of us it gets weaker. I like both stages: the more-buttery Grog and the less-buttery Grog are both quite tasty.

This would be pretty yummy on a guy too. :P

Grog is very fun. It reminds me of hot buttered rum (which smells great but tastes terrible). I get a faint hint of coconut too once in a while. It is definitely a feel-good scent.

Got this yesterday as a freebie. Not my usual thing but...

I smell lickable!

I smell of buttery scrummy rum. I'm a walking bottle of 12 year old Bacardi!

Very boozy, buttery (but not in a cake way if that makes sense?) & mildly spicy. It's a sunny rum :P There's something deeper in there I can't put my finger on. It's not spice but a deep warmth. Not one I'd have gone for myself as not into foody smells, but I'm almost tempted to nab a 5 ml of this.

THIS IS A BUTTERY NIPPLE DRINK IN PERFUME FORM!!!!!!!

As that is my favourite drink I am in love. Butterscotch and rum and sweetness and headyiness all rolled up into one lovely lovely perfume. I shall be wearing this New Years Eve as I get plastered bringing in 05!

:P :D

This smells absolutely divine in the vial.

On initial application I have high hopes, it smells just as I so wanted Hellcat to - sweet, boozy goodness.

A minute or so after application I am taken over by butter. Just butter. It's too much. Occasionally I get a whiff of rummy sweetness but the butter overwhelms me.

I so wish I liked this, it sounded fab on lots of others. I guess I've finally learned my lesson about rich foody blends. :P

First Impression: Buttered rum.

Second Impression: Butterscotch schnapps. Very buttery on the skin, but not boozey at all.

Final Analysis: It's scrumptious in the bottle but it really doesn't smell very good on my skin. :P

In the vial: Sweet! Sweet butterscotch candies!!

On my skin: Still butterscotch candies

10 minutes later: Butterscotch with a touch of booziness

1 hour later: Semi-Sweet Butterscotch candies and a touch of hot buttered rum. Mmmm...

Final verdict: I LOVE Grog...It reminds me of a Pirate Christmas Party! Happy Holidays, Matey! Argh!

We got an imp of Grog in our last order from the Lab, and I opened it for a sniff before all the others.

Oh, this is fabulous! Edible in it's coconut rum splendour, it's got a distinct "booziness" to it, which I absolutely love. I wouldn't wear it out when I expected heavy traffic monitoring by the highway patrol, because I have no doubt I'd be walking the yellow line having my breath tested - it's very authentic in its alcohol note. :P

I love butterscotch, but rarely enjoy butterscotch-like scents, as they smell very artificial and overly sweet to me. Grog isn't like that at all - it's creamy, coconutty, and just what I'd want in a shot glass.

I was surprised when Matt turned up his nose at this one, but I've no doubt he'll love it, in time. He'd better, anyhow ... this is a definite purchase for me!

Grog - in the imp, it reminds me of butterscotch schnapps - sweet and yummy.

Once on it's a little more boozy but I don't really smell rum, it reminds me of a Buttery Nipple shot (one of my faves) I thought this might become too cloying after a while but somehow it retains the buttery sweetness without becoming sickly and is lighter than I expected. I think a big bottle may be on order :P

Initial/wet: Movie popcorn dripping w/ artificial butter

Dry down: Almost immediately, the rum smell emerges and reminds me of the yummy rum balls I buy at airports upon returning from the Caribbean.

Final Impressions: It's only been a few minutes but I think I smell a hint of coconut lying underneath the buttered rum. I definitely like this scent....it was a freebie sent with my order (Thanx Lab !!! :D ) and I'm glad because I would not have ordered it for myself. I'm not sure that this is a scent that I would want to wear but we'll see how it morphs. I'll definitely use the imp...it might smell interesting layered with my ginger souffle body cream.... :P

Oh, it IS hot buttered rum in the imp!

It started out sort of candy smelling on me, then the sweet faded and the rum and butter were left.

After a bit there was some baby powder, but not too much, and it went away again!! If only all the ones that turn to babypowder would do that!

Definitely a winner! And it lasted well into the evening, too.

First sniff: Oh yeah. Liquid butter-rum Life Savers.

Wearing: Grog is exactly what I wanted from Hellcat – butter rum, warm, sweet and slightly nutty, without being too boozey. This is a fantastic cold-weather scent that will be worn often and quite possibly slathered on my guy.

Rum extract. STRONG RUM EXTRACT! Wafts like there's no tomorrow.

reminds me of chocolate balls and all the tasty but really bad for you things we used to eat at birthday parties when we were six years old.

Unfortunately, this is not something I'd like to smell like. Oh well, up for swaps.

Spicy buttered rum. Mmm, can I drink this?

The smell from the imp is sweet and candy like. On application I smell butterscotch lifesavers. Then the spices start to peek out, and it starts to mellow into a spicy, sweet, heavenly smell. :P

I like this one, it smells how I wish Hellcat had smelled. I think I might need a 5ml of this.

'Grog' doesn't smell anything like the Grog I make (which is just your basic water, honey, rum mix). But, it smells the way I WISH the Grog I made did! I am such a sucker for foody-boozy scents. They are my weakness.

At first, I was worried it was going to be way too sweet for me. Out of the bottle, I got that same "This smells just like a buttery nipple!" reaction that Belladonnastrap got. It struck me to be a little like 'Egg Nog' at first, too. But, after a few more sniffs from the bottle... there was a definite difference.

Grog, even with it's rich, boozy-rum scent, is very much a comforting scent for me. It goes perfect mixed into an unscented lotion. It stays with me - REALLY stays with me, and reaps aren't something I have to worry about with 'Grog'. On my skin, it lightens up to perfection. This is where I can actually thank my chemistry and not curse it.

I've decided that 'Grog' is my official 'Sally O'Scurvy' scent (my Pirate character of the Merry Wastrel Crew). It's not nearly as sweet on me as others are saying it is on them. It's slightly sweet, but very, very boozy-rum-drink em up-spicy on me! Perfect.

-Leslie

When I first put this on it was creamy, buttery, butterscotch goodness. But then it disappeared and became booze. It lasted a very long time....but only the booze part! It just figures that my body chemistry would amplify the only part I am not crazy about. My husband actually asked me if I had been drinking. Waaaaaa!

:P