Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lorencita

Hell's Belle

Sweet, smoky and sensually wicked. A thick, steamy scent, truly sinister in its voluptuous sexuality. The perfume of a demon's favored consort, or of the devil herself. Oleander with wet, sweet mandarin, lush magnolia, a rush of deep musk and a touch of spice.

One of the few florals that I really like, and long-lasting to boot (on me). I only bought this scent (unsniffed in bottle form) because of the name - I'm a Helen, and people sometimes call me 'Hel' (or even Hell's Belle).

I'm glad I got it. This scent makes me feel sexy. I wouldn't wear it to work - but I'd definitely wear it for a date or a night out or just to make myself feel good in the evening. The smokiness, florals and sweetness all combine into something really beautiful here.

Hell's Belle. . . what can I say that ain't already been said? Hmmmm. . . how 'bout that I liked it so much out of my collective imps (kudos to Galen and a friend from a completely different board) that I'm ordering myself a big ol' bottle. Sweet, smoky, creamy, floral. It starts with a heavy magnolia and musky underlay, then the mandarin comes in, then all the notes come out to play/wreak havoc on any man present. Wonderful, sexy, and DEFINITELY worth it!

:P

Initial Imp Sniff: Hmm.. yep, this is floral all right. I think I smell the gardenia, some other stuff, and something kinda smokey. It ain't so bad I guess...time for the skin.

Skin Swipe: Well, this isn't as scary as I though, cool. It's definitely floral, and they always make me a little hesitant (strangely enough, only when I smell them. while reading the descriptions I get hyped. :D ), but this is working out ok so far. It's definitely not going to be a favorite, but it could be workable.

Drydown: Something loverly and smokey and deep came out to mingle with the already "darker than the norm" florals...not bad. I know my bf luuurrvveess gardenia something fierce, it'd be awesome if this worked out on me. Unfortunately though, a couple of hours (if that) later this took on the same kind of Granpa aftershave/cologne feel that Noir and Black Phoenix did....POOP!!! Unfortunatley-er about an hour after that it got kinda grody. It's a scent I can't really explain, it's not really play-dohy or old lady-floral..but it's just not..right. It wrinkles my nose and turns my stomach. Exactly what the vast majority of base/carrier oils do on my skin after everything else is burned off. Fuck.

I'm actually pretty let down on this one. I was hoping like friggin' hell it would work on me... :P

EDIT: Ok, I need to edit this because I just read the description and there is no mention of gardenia. Is it possible it's not listed? Or does magnolia smell a lot like gardenia in this one? Dunno, cuz I've never smelled "magnolias" before. :D

Edited by Sara

Wow, I get neither creamy nor spicy from this, which is what I was hoping for. I do get a very strong jasminy smell, which must be the magnolia or oleander. I'm not familiar enough with either to say which. Whatever it is, it doesn't turn artificial smelling like jasmine tends to on me.

After about an hour of drying, the whole scent suddenly starts smelling like dish soap. I get the 'soapy' phenomenon all the time, but to turn into soap has only happened once before (with Aeval), and I don't think they have any common ingredients. Alas, this one worked so well on others, but for me, it's off to swap.

Mmm.. this bears some similarity on my skin to Vixen and Voodoo, so I thought there had to be patchouli in this one.

Wrong.

It must be the musk then. It is very deep and dark, but after an hour or so Hell's Belle becomes warmer and enveloping. I can smell a little more fruit and spice coming through now as well. I miss the foodiness of Snak oil, but Hell's belle is nice enough.

in the bottle: straight up oleander, with magnolia brushing up against it.

wet on skin: I'm not getting the creaminess others have mentioned in their reviews, or any spiciness. On me, it's all florals warmed up with a bit of musk.

dry down: still no sign of creamy or spicy. Wonderful staying power, though. Musky florals smell quite pretty, but I'm not a big fan of them.

First Impression: Woody, smoky resin-y.

Dries down to: A very faint scent of sweet, dry straw. I keep getting a mental image of hay bales. There's not much to this one at all on my skin.

Additional comments: I'm really surprised - from the description, I would have expected something with a lot more "ooomph" to it. Instead, all I seem to get is a hint of musk (the dry straw, I'm guessing). This imp was fresh from the lab so I'll let it "cure" a while and revisit it later. Hopefully, it will develop a bit more character.

Lasted: About an hour.

Rating: 2 out of 5

hellsbelle.jpg

A gorgeous and strong floral with hints of Snake Oil floating around. This is a Grand Scent and I would think it would go well with some swanky night on the town as well as to your favorite club spot.

It has a thick syrupy component, and does best when allowed to mix with air before it comes to your nose. If you do that, the slight shift in focus of the scent will reward you handsomely. It turns into something great instead of something very good.

Hell's Belle is a very very good scent.

The icon is one of my paintings. Alas, I did it with high hopes which were never realized. Oh well, at least it can be an icon in a perfume forum.

Oh...I could smell like magnolia in Hell's Bell right away. :D Magnolia and lotus tend to smell strangely burnt on my skin. Like a smoking, carmelized flower. This works well with the musk and spices for a sexy, womanly scent. Very deep and smoky, and maybe darkly fruity. I'll probably wear this on a day when I don't want anyone to cross me. :P

My skin apparently amps up magnolia - it's nearly all i get from this. That and the smokiness make it strongly reminiscent of Black Dahlia on me. Although this one is MUCH sweeter.

So yeah - SWEET, heady, smoky floral. Way too cloying on me. Really strong and long-lasting. Which is as I expected, but I just had to try it, in case, since I would love to tell people the name of my scent was Helle's Belle!

This would be a really beautiful scent for someone else. Heh. Florals really don't agree with me. Every now and then when I wear it a get a whiff of mandarin, but nothing creamy and it's mostly floral on me. When I wear it I smell straight shampoo. It's not a bad scent at all, just not my thing.

Hell's Belle

In Bottle: Soapy, but a little sweet, too.

Wet, On Skin: It almost smells like syrup at first, but then it quickly changes into a dusky sweet scent, like my grandmother's old bottle of perfume which has gone off a bit. It reminds me of Texas, but that may just be because I grew up there.

1.5 Hours on Skin: Mellowed out significantly -- the soapy scent has disappeared.

Drydown: The scent has quieted down so much that I don't really recognize what it smells like now. It's still a little sharp in places, but it's turned soft.

Conclusion: I like it, especially for spring or summer days outside, but wouldn't buy a bottle.

Edited by sun_set_bravely

In bottle: sweet, sweet magnolia.

Wet: still magnolia...still sweet. It's not overpowering at all. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's strong but light, if that makes any sense at all.

Dry: I really like this. It simply smells like sweet magnolia and I love it. It fades rather quickly, but magnolia is a pretty heady bloom anyway, so it balances well.

This scent smells almost exactly like a spray I got at Hot Topic once called Fire Dance--I think it had an Amy Brown fairy on the box. There also used to be a Victoria's Secret scent that smelled close to it...I think it was Number 11--or was it Number 88?

Regardless, by the time I got my imp of Hell's Belle, I was pretty burnt-out on the scent, which, like all of its above-mentioned twins tickled my nose & made my cat sneeze something fierce. It IS nice though, & I think that had I not exhausted my olfactory glands with the Hot Topic sniff, I would have liked Hell's Belle a whole lot more. It's a unique type of scent, but I think whatever is in it to give it that 'crackling flickering flame' type scent had just used up all its love with me.

This scent was my first brush with Black Phoenix fragrances, and I have to say it's made a believer out of me. I'll definitely be trying more.

In the bottle, this smelled heavy and sexy floral/creamy/smoky. Definitely apropros of the name, and it had more character and oomph than the other bottles I tested so I decided to give it a go. Now I'm usually a fan light amber-y perfumes, but this was so grand and infinitely sniffable that I couldn't resist the 5ml.

When it came to trying it out on my skin, I forgot that the mouth of the bottle didn't have a stopper and kinda threw half the bottle down my cleavage. :P Maybe it was because there was so much of it, but it suddenly seemed a whole lot more floral and strangely fruity than it had in the bottle until it dried out. I definitely got the magnolia notes from beginning to end, although as the hours passed it became creamier and spicier. Very femme fatale.

I wore the same bra a day or so later, and I had a few people ask me what perfume I was wearing, so I know it lasts on me. :D And judging by my husband's reaction to it, this is definitely a scent for seduction. I'm on my second bottle already!

I really wanted to like this because of the name but unfortunately this has that "just cut the stem of a flower" smell - it was quite green on me in an overpowering kind of way but I can smell musk underneath it - Unfortunately this is going to go on my swap list as I just couldnt' get the "green" to fade on me.

Oh, I love this. This isn't your shy, retiring floral, nor is it a loud, sugary floral. Hell's Belle is a sinister, sneaky floral that will probably try to kill you when you aren't paying attention. The magnolia is rich and voluptuous, with a little bit of spiciness to keep it from being too sweet. It's also very long lasting and definitely going on my big bottle list.

Sniffing the imp: Mmmm…this is gorgeous! Sweet, and yet earthy undertones.

Wet on wrist: Sweet, almost coconutty. I wonder what that scent is coming from? The oleander? I have never smelled that flower. I can’t smell any mandarin but the magnolia is coming through. Oh, maybe the coconut smell is from the musk? I don’t know but I am enjoying smelling this.

Dry: A soft blend of sweet, sensual, floral musk. If this is what a demon’s consort wears, it must smell pretty good in Hell! I love this one and think it may become my 3rd catalogue imp I have tried that I want a bottle of. :P

Funny, but I am wearing Hemlock on my other wrist and on a whim, I rubbed the two together and man, this blend smells really good!!! :D

Like Sara, I get gardenia :l Which my skin, yay, amps like mad. Very little, if any, spice or musk :P Reminds me of Pavlova perfume, which is icky to me.

REALLY wanted this one to work. Blah.

I wanted to love this...oh! :P I have planted a magnolia in our garden and love the smell of the blooms...it is one of the more tolerable aspects of the South, for me, a Yankee and all...but Hell's Bell went all sour on me, as if the fruits and flowers were composting. I am very, very saddened by this...

Ah Hell's Belle. You are a tricksy one.

Ick. I hated you so when i sniffed your bottle. so strong, like old ladies cologne and alcohol.

But you turned oh so suductive on me. A hot warm scent. Is is the oleander that gives you that nutty grounded smell? The Magnolias burst with the heady scent that makes you want to close your eyes. You are transported to a hot breezy night in Georgia sitting on a porch swing with a man who's lingering a little too close to your neck and you like it. You know you have power over him. Trust me, you ooze sexual allure and the spice and caramel are just luring him in more.

yeah, that's what it feels like. wear with caution.

I have a hard time describing Hell's Belle because I'm not familiar with what exactly oleander or magnolia smell like. Florals are very tricky for me to pick out, because I normally hate them and want nothing to do with them.

That said, I think the floral scent in Hell's Belle is wonderful. They smell like light, honeyed blooms. Sweet florals rather than perfumey ones. This also doesn't smell very musky on me, and my skin normally amps up musk to give me a headache.

After an hour, lush honeyed blooms and a touch of spice. I'm not sure what sort of spices, not cinnamon or pepper on me. It's sort of sweet, but not quite.

I don't find this very hellish at all, it's quite nice. I can't pick out any specific florals or any musk at all. At times I think I can pick out a sweet mandarin note hiding in the background. It's a pleasant spicy/sweet floral.

I'll be keeping my imp and perhaps even purchasing a full bottle. :P

I really like this blend. it is some of what I liked in Black Phoenix, the afterscent of it when it has faded a bit. Its base, undertone is similar to Black Phoenix's. except Hell's Belle is darker, murkier, spicy but not in a tart and overpowering way. I think I can smell patchouli in it, but a sweet patchouli.

I have the same exact problem as the above reviewer with recognizing flower scents. Unless they have a distinct, individual odor, I can not tell most apart from each other.

but this is so lovely. in the bottle is smells like patchouli, straight and raw. on the skin it is just lovely.

I am loving too many scents now. I must have this however in at least a 5mL : :P

Edited by ancilla

Imp: Citrusy spicy, slightly musky, hint of creamy vanilla. Heady florals in back?

On, wet: This is a very heady, spicy, sweet and almost citrusy musk. Mimosa quality, like in succubus. There is a deep floral to this, and one I think I like--a cool discovery since i'm not a super keen florals type person. I wonder which floral it is.

Drying: 10min: Very sexy, deep and rich floral with a warm, spicy musk. This is such a great smelling floral for winter/fall, and I am not normally a floral person. Sultry and deep.

Great throw--I keep getting wafts as I read my work papers. Wonderful.

1 hr: warm dark floral musk with a kick of hot spice. This is just gorgeous. This screams fall/winter to me, its just such a full bodied floral with that kick of seasonal spice.

Overall: I liked this floral. This surprised me, espeically since it is a pretty heavy floral, and in the rare cases of floral I tend to go for lighter ones. Mental note to look up oleander and magnolia scents and try to figure out what it was I was smelling and enjoying....

I passed this imp to a needy friend, but have added it back to my wishlist so I can try it again later!

ETA: Hubby and I sometimes have diff tastes, so when I got this the second time round and still liked it, I had him sniff it on me. I won't be keeping this, unfortunately, since he said: "smells like you ate oranges and jolly ranchers and then burped". :P I don't think it smells like that at all, but I can't go around having my husband thinking I smell belch-tastic.

Edited by jewelbug

Hell's Belle

In the imp: it's mainly a wet, lush floral that's reminiscent of gardenia. Maybe oleander or magnolia?

Wet on skin: a sharp, almost astringent scent that I usually associate with some gardenia notes surfaces…oh dear…

Dry on skin: that sharp floral astringency doesn't get too bad. It adds a dry, sharp accent to the scent. I think I can make out a tiny bit of mandarin and spice, but I'm now getting a huge hit of musk, a dark, deep, intense musk scent. It's now a scent of this deep musk (black musk maybe? It's too dark to be red, but it's not animalistic) mingling with dry yet heady florals.

After a while: the floral notes settle down into a more pleasant moist floral scent, reclining in that rich, heady musk scent, which has glossy and darkly sweet accents to it. I think there may be spicy notes warming the blend up as well.

Verdict: this is one hell (groan!) of an intense scent! a sharp, dry, astringent floral scent leads the front, followed up by a very, very deep musk which is quite powerful and almost wild but not animalistic. I'm thinking this is a black musk, with maybe some reddish undertones that are slightly sweet and fruity. I get a slight spice and very little mandarin. This is a very nice scent but I'm afraid it's a bit too dark, wild and potent for me, and the floral note is a tad too dry and sharp for me.