Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tinyvulture

Und wir Dachten der Toten

Bourbon vanilla, Indonesian patchouli, raw coffee bean, and Himalayan spices.

First review...this is a first! Here goes...

Lovely rich vanilla, almost buttery. The patchouli is not a "dirty" earthy patchouli, but something softer and lighter. I guess raw coffee bean smells different from a cup of coffee because there's nothing like that here...instead it's nutty, green, slightly bitter. I'm not sure what the Himalayan spices are, but I wouldn't describe this as a spicy blend. The similarity that comes to mind is the vanilla-nuttiness of Wezwanie/Hold. But this isn't an especially foody scent. The patchouli and the bitterness of the coffee bean balance out the foody notes. Nice amount of throw...not too faint, but not overpowering.

Happy I got a bottle! :D

In the Bottle: Earthy patchouli and coffee.

Wet: Earthy patchouli, vanilla has sweetened it up a little, the coffee is not strong. Kinda like sniffing the steam from a fresh cup.

Drydown: Patchouli sticks around throughout, but the vanilla keeps it from being ALL DIRT ALL THE TIME. The coffee bean has faded completely into the background and I'm smelling a hint of something like a very light anise. Maybe the Himalayan spices?

Verdict: I knew I would love this. Its earthy and warm and slightly spicy. The Himalayan spices make this blend a little incensey, and it's just beautiful. Love. Glad I have a bottle :D

5/5

ETA: On second sniffs, I think tinyvulture is right ;). This coffee is different from actual brewed coffee, or even a roasted coffee bean. I took green coffee bean antioxidant pills for a little while, and the coffee in this smells very similar. In the bottle it's more green/herbal with a slight hint of brewed coffee, and the brewed coffee note comes out a bit more upon skin application. It really is very nice and I'd love to see more of it in the Lab's creations ;).

ETA2: So this has close to four months behind it now, and I just tried it again yesterday. When I first bought it I didn't really wear it very much because it was initially quite a sharp scent. Well, the vanilla has REALLY come out during those four months, it's now a lot less sharp and the drydown is sweeter. IMO, this scent will be fantastic with 6months-1yr aging behind it.

Edited by welcometothefamily

Sniff in decant: A hint of patchouli...but get the light, sweetness of the vanilla and coffee!!

On Skin: Uh oh....was afraid of the patchouli note!! When will I learn! This doesn't go well on me. The sweetness is gone in a flash and left with patchouli.

Dry down: Kind of odd, but on me, this actually gets stronger. Don't know if it is because the patch note is not a good one, but gets a bit like a heavy floral-y patchouli on me.

So, was hoping the food-y notes would overpower, but didn't, so this isn't for me. Glad I didn't buy a bottle blindly!

Hahaha, I was hoping for the opposite of what Numanoid wanted...and also did not get what I wanted.

Bourbon vanilla is not my friend: it amps all to hell on me and gets overwhelmingly, sickeningly sweet. Not even the patchouli (which I was hoping would dominate) could beat that sweetness into submission this time. The spices seemed nice, but also played second fiddle to the vanilla.

Not for me, sadly.

This smells so good in the imp to me. Ahh AHH! NO. I can't be buying a bottle of this with all the Yules coming... :cry2:

Oh boy, this is too good.

Slightly spicy, hint of coffee vanilla patch.

It has the barest hint of earthiness to it still, which I actually like in this blend.

:wub2: :wub2:

PS. I foresee layering this with Silkybat sometimes. :clap:

Edited by MiasmaResonance

Ever smelled "white" coffee? That fruity note? It's here.

In the bottle: vanilla syrup-y sweetness.

On my skin: Definitely a sweet vanilla. It might need to be aged out to gain the depth I typically like from a vanilla scent. The coffee bean note is really evident if you've smelled beans before they go in the roaster or some really well-brewed white coffee - it's a kind of fruity nuttiness that's hard to pin-point but it's definitely here. The spice and patchouli seem to be on vacation in my case, so I'm not getting any here, perhaps they'll show up with aging. It's a little sweet for my tastes now, but so is first-year Antikythera Mechanism or anything else with a vanilla note. Off to the back of the box and we'll see you again in a year. I hope you keep that coffee note.

On my skin wet: Sweet and light with a hint of cake. A fruity floral pops up after a while, no trace of the patchouli yet. Ah wait there is the patchouli you have to look for it but it's there. The top note is an almost orange vanilla. :thud:

On my skin dry: Noooo the vanilla has gone to plastic. :( The rest of the scent is very nice the patch has come forward but that frigging plastic... Light throw.

Und is an interesting mix between So Below and Serotine Bat, on me. The patch is very very mild here, the vanilla and amber being the most prominent notes for me, and what reminds me of Serotine. The raw coffee is very understated, and along with the spices, almost has a cardamom feel. Its this fuzzy/dusty green spice quality that reminds me a lot of So Below.

I really like almost all of this blend... But like OctoberGwen, I wish the bourbon vanilla was less prominent.

When this dries down all I can smell is peach.. straight peach. I was so confused until I read ladymaeg's description of unroasted coffee. I really love this wet, but it dries down to be so completely different :(

This is nice but reminds me too much of a NA perfume oil I already own (purnima base...) its pretty and sugary sweet vanilla with a hint of patchouli.

I definitely get the green coffee note, and maybe a hint of softness, but not vanilla or patch. Like, at all.

On dry-down this reminds me of a cover girl compact I had in middle school. There isn't anything spicy or patchouli about it.

That being said, it will probably be a nice blend for work, where I can't smell too strongly of anything. It kind of reminds me of a light tea smell too, I keep thinking of The Magdalena, which I love.

This is super nice, not what I was expecting and a total morpher. In the bottle this is all earthy coffee bean. As soon as it hits my skin the patchouli makes an appearance and there's more of a sweetness but I wouldn't say I get vanilla per-say. On the drydown, it takes on almost a floral-spice edge. The notes that were there before are still present but there's now an underlying "perfuminess" to it. The throw is medium. I really like it but it disappears completely within two hours. Maybe I'll try it in a scent locket.

On wet, its mainly vanilla and I swear it smells more like sandalwood. It actually reminds me alot to the recent Hope and Fear Set Free.

Earthy coffee bean, swirls of patchouli, sweet vanilla and Morocco-like spices. This has a smoky, almost tobacco like melding to it, in fact, it reminds me alot to Pinched with Four Aces on my skin but darker, and I think that's because the patchouli is more assertive than the tobacco in Pinched. I dabbed some Pinched on my other arm for comparison, and Pinched ends up sweeter and Und Wir is much darker. Between both, I'd prefer Und Wir.

But at the same time, the smoky darker side is almost a tad too much for me. It's a gorgeous blend, but not an insta-love for me.

Which invariably means that this may be better off in another home than mine.

ETA: I got another bottle and its lighter, and more vanilla centric. But again, not an insta-love.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Bourbon vanilla comes out first, it's a very rich vanilla, creamy and generally amazing. Green coffee bean almost smells like coffee, but it is more nutty, almost fruity, like a banana before it's fully ripened. I can't pick out particular spices at first and the patchouli stays in the background initially. I'm amazed at how bashful this patchouli is. Either that or I have a scent blind spot.

Here's how the scent smells at first: Picture some whipped cream flavored with very expensive vanilla. It's all very lush, but has no sugar added. Blend in a banana just before it gets ripe and a spoonful of bitter cocoa powder with a sprinkle of cardamom or maybe nutmeg. I'm a little hungry now.

Later: The scent gets darker, more woody, much less foody though the vanilla is still definitely there. The green coffee beans get stronger and no longer smell so much like a banana.

Verdict: This is very nice, but I think I prefer Banshee Beat which is a lot darker and a bit sweeter.

A very light, almost honeyed smelling vanilla with a beautifully subtle hint of earthyness.

Absolutely gorgeous, but fades so fast off of my skin that it's just depressing.

The spices *really* dominate here for me. I get a hint of milkiness as well, not sure where that is coming from. The whole effect is like a chai tea to me. Also a hint of peach, so it ends up being a spicy, milky peach. Not for me, but nice to try.

In the bottle, I took this to be a strange mash-up of watered-down Snake Oil, fruity notes (not bright or particularly light, but not entirely dark, either), and mellow coffee. Very pretty, except for when it would occasionally remind me of super fruity bubble gum.

Wet, the coffee, patchouli and what I'm assuming are the spice notes came out to play. I'm one of those people who amps any vanilla note to the point of drowning out all else, but this is one of the precious few instances where that hasn't been happening. Instead, I get something which reminds me of Villainess' Mudslide soap (A positively filthy mix of day-old coffee grounds and vetyver, blackened hazelnut, sweet graham, and rich cream), if Mudslide had a darker fruit note -- a hollowed-out pomegranate note, perhaps, where you get the shape and the feel of the fruit, but nothing actually tart or juicy about it.

Dry, Und wir Dachten der Toten starts to calm down a bit and smell less like something I want to put in my mouth. The spices ramp up, figuratively hugging the bourbon vanilla and coffee notes. It has moderately decent throw for me, and is really interesting for how it morphs from one pleasant state to another, going from sweet-but-not-heavy to sweet-and-lickable, and finally spicy-sweet-slightly-dirty, courtesy the patchouli -- I do agree that the patchouli isn't your typical dirt-dirt-sexy-dirt, but rather something with just enough weight to prevent the blend from spiraling off into heady sweetness. It doesn't truly smell like masala chai, but it gives me the same feeling I get when I sit down with a steaming cup: spicy, sweet, warm.

In the imp: Sweet vanilla....... something. Sugar cookie? It's actually almost a little boozy. I wonder if it's the raw coffee bean. I'm not really familiar with Himalayan spices, so I'm not sure where they're going to play into this.

Wet on skin: The patchouli comes out on my skin, but it's soft and sweet, not hard-hitting. I think I rather like this version of patchouli. With the vanilla, it reminds me a little of Snake Oil with an added patchouli note.

Dried down: Same as before. I'm fairly sure I can smell the coffee now, though it blends in beautifully with the other notes.

Throw: Not a whole lot, but enough. I only had a half-decant, so I didn't get much on me. The throw is sweet and soft.

Verdict: ***** Yeah. I want a bottle.

Decant: Why am I smelling Dark Chocolate? Weird. Maybe there is something wrong with my nose?

Wet Stage: Still Chocolate...But wait. Oooooh! There's that lovely Patchouli. I'm getting a hint of spices too, but not in-your-face spices. These are mellow. Very nice.

Dry Stage: Damn, what is it with the chocolate scent? I've never tried a scent with either Raw Coffee Beans or Himalayan Spices, so maybe this is how those notes translate on my skin. The chocolate is more of a dark and bitter variety. I get a wee bit of coffee and a huge dollop of cream; all sprinkled with a beautiful, toned-down spice blend. The scent is rounded out by a base that is smokey and earthy so the blend doesn't get too foody. This is a fantastic scent. I'm going to have to get a bottle before the update goes down. :lol:

People's reactions to this one are all over the board, and I can see why. It is a total morpher.

From the bottle I get a big nose of that heady bourbon vanilla and a lot of a rounded nuttiness that must be the coffee bean. It doesn't smell like brewed coffee. It actually reminds me of Wezwanie/Hold in the bottle.

On my skin, this is PATCHOULI. Soft, earthy patchouli, not hippie-stink patchouli - which is nice, but the blend loses the bright sweetness and becomes almost loamy. From the "Himalayan spice" cabinet, I think I get hints of coriander and ginger. The bourbon vanilla is an undefined softness and not a foody vanilla at all.

The far drydown is 100% that muted, earthy patchouli with a light masala spice vibe on top.

For the right patchouli lover, this blend will SING. Alas, I am not that patchouli lover. It goes loamy and ashy on my skin - which is a fault of my skin, not the oil.

Whoof, this one is green! It's sharp and bitter when wet.

Dry, I don't get much vanilla. There's something in the leather/patch combination that produces the same stomach-churning note that made me get rid of Haute Macabre that takes forever to fade. The sharp coffee beans have turned less bitter, but they're still very green and in your face.

I think this would do wonders on other people's skin, but it's very much not my chemistry. To swaps.

coffee and vanilla, rich, foodie with the spices, a bit too coffee/brown to me, but if you like coffee or foodie scents it's a nice one

This is a crazy morpher! First I get a boozy chocolate, then comes a coffee patch spice, then the coffee fades and it's a sweet spiced patch, until finally I am left with a sweet spicy patchouli vanilla bean!

I love it!!

In the bottle - A sweet musky creamy scent with a sort if green/raw nut note that I presume is the raw coffee bean

Wet on me - Again a creamy/milky musk with just a hint of spice

Dry on me - A warm hazy musks with hints of spice and an underlying green patchouli

Overall - Really, really lovely