Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

Unstern Sinistre Disastro

Indigo musk, opoponax, champaca, guiac wood, Haitian vetiver, and lemon peel.

Wet: Vetiver and lemon peel! Sour lemon peel!!!!! :ack:

Dry: The vetiver smooths out with the indigo musk. The champaca makes it lightly sweet and the wood adds a nice effect to the whole scent. Overall....this is my favorite of the bunch and the most wearable. But only in small doses. Too much could cause a serious headache! :P

I said over in my review for Trauervorspiel und Trauermarsch that incense blends tend to disappoint. I'm not wrong. Add in some lemon peel and, well, it doesn't go so well.

In the bottle: woodsy pine-y musky lemon?

On my skin: Pine! Lemon! Pine-Lemon! Pine Sol! If Pine-Sol was a toothpaste, this would be it. I'd lament it more but what's even more odd is that my skin, which usually hangs on to everything and amplifies even the lightest of scents, ate this within ten minutes of it drying, which is better than I can say for mopping with Pine Sol. :P

This starts out an awesome, dark, foreboding blend of musk, guiac wood, opoponax, and a hint of vetiver. And then it does all sorts of weird morphing, picking up the champaca and lemon peel occasionally.

And then, after an intense hour, it becomes slightly flowery hand sanitizer. :rasp: I THINK it's a mix of the opoponax and lemon peel over a hint of the champaca and vetiver. But it's not pleasant...and headache inducing even with a miniscule amount.

To the unloved pile. Ah well!

I love black musk so I had high hopes for this. Turns out that this is a bit too harsh, and pickle-like on me. I'm getting a strong sense of the vetiver here, and it's not playing nicely with my beloved black musk. Acrid and sour on me. Blech.

ladymeag and I often like the same things so it's a surprise to see us on such opposite poles. I am trying Unstern Sinistre Disastro this morning and so far it's really lovely. On me, anyway.

I'm a huge fan of Iago (which has black musk and vetiver) and my favorite "lost" scent is the discontinued The Music of Erich Zahn. And I realized pretty quickly that Sinistre reminds me a *lot* of Erich Zahn

The Music of Erich Zahn: ajowan, vetiver, black musk, opoponax, mimosa, and tamarind.

Unstern! Sinistre Disastro!: Indigo musk, opoponax, champaca, guiac wood, Haitian vetiver, and lemon peel.

So both have musk (black/indigo), vetiver and opoponax. Both have a citrus note (tamarind vs lemon peel). So I wasn't wrong about the similiarity.

I need to try it again to pay more attention to the morphing and to the length of time, but for me (a guy who doesn't take well to floral/herbal/sweet scents) it is hitting the right notes.

Bought an imp in a decant circle.

IN THE IMP: Sweet, woodsy, resinous.

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: Hmmmmm. My initial notes are confirmed as it's sweetly woody and resiny. It actually burns a little on application, something I have noted in many of the Misky Phil blends for some reason. It's very subtle. Not superstrong, nothing lurking behind that makes me worry about what will rise upon the drydown stage.

DRYDOWN: A very smooth combination. It's a little saltier than I'd like (vetiver?) but not to a horrible degree. Smoky and pleasant. Definitely a gender-neutral scent.

OVERALL: In the end, I don't see this as a keeper because I have so many other scents I like more in this "family" so to speak, but I like it more than I thought I would on first sniff.

On a scale of 1-5, a 3.

:eek: this smells like bacon.

at first i thought "red musk" but on second sniff it is a bit different and i think i see where the "indigo" comes from.

i think the smoky vetiver and guiac wood are combining to give me a sense of woodsmoke which, yes, is reminding me of bacon. as it dries this becomes less noticeable and more of the resin/musk comes out, with the oddest little touch of citrus that actually works, for some reason. but i really don't think i can get past that smoky bacon note that i get at first. i would be worried all day that people would think i smelled like smoky meat.