Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Beckiemort

Csárdás Macabre

Red musk, myrrh, peru balsam, Chinese geranium, and tobacco absolute.

In the bottle: WOAH! Red musk!!! Smells like a red musk single note in the bottle.

On: it's definitely still a red musk heavy scent. It's drier and less sweet than Smut and less spicy than Scheherazade. It's got an almost slightly floral feel without screaming FLOWERS which I think is what I'm interpreting the Chinese geranium as. The myrrh is pretty strong as well as it lends a slight incensey feel and the dryness I was picking up earlier. Eventually I pick up the tobacco which is one of my favourite notes. It's smoky and musky but still decidedly feminine.

I really enjoy this in theory - It's a lovely scent and really well blended. Unfortunately the red musk tends to amp on me so I don't think this is a work scent as it's a little heavy and has a pretty strong throw. It's not a bad scent by any means just a little much for me. This is a heavy, sexy scent, without the same amount of raunch I got from Smut. Edited by Silvertree

ITB: It's woodsy and resinous - faint myrrh, Peru balsam, red musk, and geranium. Interesting.

Wet: The balsam, geranium, and tobacco are much stronger on my wrist. To a certain extent, it reminds me of Lulu from The District, but a bit darker.

Dry: It's sweetly subtle in its woodsiness, although there is a delightful resinous spice to it from the tobacco, myrrh, and musk. The floral aspect only adds a touch of spice (from the geranium), but nothing more.

I'm getting red musk and geranium at first. I like geranium but only with mint, so this combination is a bit odd for me. After an hour and half it kind of melds together to be a well-blended red musk, geranium and myrhh, but it's so well blended that its difficult to tell which one dominates. It`s very nice, but not really my style. Nice to try though!!

This is the surprise hit of my Philharmonic decants.

In the decant it seems kind of jumbled and not too promising.

On my skin the red musk, myrrh and tobacco form a pleasant red musky-incense sort of smell which is pretty nice. When I stuck my wrist under my partners nose he says it smells like walking into a hippy occult shop, which is a nice association for both of us, I agree.

The red musk stays mellow and soft without going powdery and the geranium doesn't amp up crazy. Everything stays really nicely balanced and just smells incensy and wonderful. This is the bottle purchase out of the bunch.

Red musk, geranium and a hint of tobacco.

So this is a geranium + red musk blend, which is pretty. But still, red musky.

Red, pretty, sensual.

Purchased an imp in a decant circle.

IN THE IMP: Very musty. I don't have a better word for it. No, not musky, Musty. I am not sure if it's the geranium or the tobacco.

Dabbed lightly on one wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: More sweetness and resin amps upon application, but not enough to offset that mustiness. Getting a strong vibe of a room that hasn't had a window opened in months.

DRYDOWN: Along with the mustiness, I get a strong salty note. I am sure it's the geranium ... though myrrh can go salty sweaty wonky on me, that's not the same smell I'm getting here (in fact, this myrrh plays nicely with me, no sweat socks). Salty and stuffy. Those are the two words that sum this up on me.

OVERALL: Obviously, off to the swap box with this one. It makes my nose wrinkle.

On a scale of 1-5, a 2.

Red musk tends to amp on me so it's no surprise it dominates this blend. I'm not really getting geranium at all - it's a slightly woodsy red musk on me. LOVE. It sticks fairly close to my skin but lasts for ages (again, I'm thinking that's the red musk at work since it always sticks around till the next morning). I'm really liking everything from the Miskatonic Philharmonic series but this is one of my favorites.

I love red musk and amp it like nobody's business. This was a blast of red musk at first, then morphed into a rich, jammy sweetness :bunnyluv: I'm not sure what components are interacting with the red musk like this, but it is a winner!

Edited by rayvn1

Black licorice! Remember those Sen-sen candies? Similar to Sic Erit, which I adore.

Red musk, and a woodsy resin that must be the peru balsam. Red musk is usually super warm, but the peru balsam adds a coolness, almost a menthol quality.

No geraniums or tobacco.

A Smut without so much sweetness. If I didn't already have Sic Eric, I might need a bottle.

Wet: this is a really dark, rich, red musk blend. I love red musk, but I find it sharp without some sweet notes to go along with it. This is a bit sharp at first, but as it warms on my skin, the tobacco is coming out and sweetening things up. I like this.

Dry: I like this a lot. I feel there is something about it throwing me off a little bit though. There's an almost fruity quality to it that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think I will need to test it another time before deciding.

Csárdás Macabre

In the bottle: Hella resin. Smells like every voodoo shop in New Orleans. Red Musk and Balsam. Tiny undercurrent of geranium.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, but with a little sharp rich tobacco.

Dry down: Round, rich, thick, red. This one has a lot of notes outside my comfort zone, so it's a little harder to pick them out.

Dry: It keeps getting rounder and richer and redder! Voluptuous. This. Is. Sexy! It almost hurts how good this smells. This is not a friendly good. This blend forces you to love it. Pulls at you from the seat of your weaknesses with ruthless darkness.

This is an odd one. It is a definite morpher as well.

Wet: It starts out bitter/sour which must be the geranium. I thought there might be some labdanum in it. A few minutes later I get mint along with the sourness. I second the musty smell that someone else mentioned. I'm also getting something that reminds me of coffee and flavoured creamer. That must be the tobacco. 

Drydown: Lemon, sweet floral, and sour/bitter - all of which are most likely the geranium, although it still smells like there's labdanum in it. I smell something lotus-like in the background. It's not as unpleasant as it sounds. 

30 minutes after applying, the tobacco adds a caramel note to the other scents.

90 minutes of wear - caramel coffee from the tobacco, and slightly woody from the balsam. All of the other notes have disappeared. It's sweeter than I usually like, but it's still quite nice.

2 1/2 hours after application  I am getting syrupy root beer/cola from the myrrh, the caramel chewiness of the tobacco, and some camphorish sweetness from the peru balsam. The red musk is way in the background, which is a miracle. This stage is fantastic! It lasts about 8 hours. Throw is light. The last 7 hours were definitely worth the strange beginning. 

4 out of 5 stars.