Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thaleia

Beaver Moon 2013

Thick, creamy cheesecake with thyme, lemon zest, and sugared pear.

(Wow - it's been a long time since I've done a first review!)

I've always loved the Beaver Moon scents (it all started with Beaver Moon 2005, as I'm sure it did for many of us ...) and this does not disappoint.

In the bottle, it smells like butter rum with a sharp green overtone to it from the thyme and lemon. I don't get much of the pear at this point.

Once I put it on, though, the lemon comes out right away and I get a creamy lemon meringue/sugar scent with only a whisper of green. It's not until it dries down that I get any hint of pear, the same juicy sweet pear as in The Perilous Parlor.

It dries down to a creamy sugared lemon meringue dessert (not quite a pie, or a cake, but not quite a cheesecake either - the cheesecake scent is there, but it underlies everything else) with an side of pear juiciness. All the different notes (some of which I wouldn't immediately think to blend together) come together so well. It wears pretty close to the skin for me. For a lemon scent, which I usually associate with warmer weather, this is surprisingly good for fall. Very uplifting for the shorter days coming up - and just in time for the Daylight Savings time change! Edited by cupide430

This is delicious! In the bottle I get a bright lemon cheesecake with sugary pear bringing up the rear. On my skin it dries into a rich creamy lemon cheesecake (I swear I can smell the graham cracker crust!) with a hint of sugared pear at the end of every deep inhalation I take.

The lemon note here reminds me of Lemon Scented Sticky Bat but it's a very different blend. My skin really amps the cheesecake note (yay!). This is an all around yummy gorgeous scent for foodies!

In the Bottle: Foody buttery creamcheesy doom. no. Almost didn't skintest, but I am too curious.

Wet: Blech! Wait! Lemon... sweet... BLECH! Wait...Pear? okay this is ...BLECH! Well maybe I should wait a moment. XD

Dry: Mellowed beautifully into a sweet lemongrass pear. I REALLY like this and I am so glad that the cheesecake foodie disappears on me and turns into sweet creamy lemon-pear. Okay okay, you're a keeper. Glad I took a chance on a bottle because I LOVE the lab's pear note, and don't see it nearly enough!

Gourmet foodie cheesecake bliss! I love anything lemon and the addition of pear and thyme seemed too intriguing to skip. In the bottle this smells like lemon buttercream frosting.

On the skin I don't get too much pear, more so creamy sweet lemon and a kick of the thyme chiming in.

I want a cheesecake just like this, perhaps a word of caution this may make you very hungry!

The chick on the black&white glossy label is too cute and I would have to keep this even if I didn't care for it because the label is darling!

In the bottle, I had much the same reaction The Poison Queen did--foody buttery cakey bready death, yikes. Still, most of the ones I've had a oh God no butter why reaction to in the bottle or imp I ended up liking on my skin, so I went for the skin test anyway.

And I'm glad I did, because this one is extremely pleasant on. At first, it's a tangy thyme-lemony zesty blast that's a little overwhelming, but still gets my mouth watering, actually. It turns into something sweet and strong, creamy thyme-touched lemon over juicy sugary pear. The great lemon-pear scent hangs around me, more lemon when I get closer to my wrist and very much a sugared pear, overlaying that juiciness. Very sweet, but not cloying. I was afraid it would be too unbearably cheesecakey, but it's not; it's exactly the perfect amount to me. I love the pear note as well, and I am really getting it, as well as that sweet intense lemon-meringue lemon. It's very nice, and I'm glad I have a bottle of this one!

Edited by Sakura Tsukikage

It felt really uncharacteristic of me to order this, and I'm so happy I did. It kind of brought on the realization for me that I love foody scents.

In the bottle this smells really buttery but as soon as I put it on my skin it transforms into a sweet lemony pastry. It is amazing. The pear and lemon together are just exquisite and the cheesecake note isn't as cheesecake as it is a baked goods, cake, amazing vanillaish kind of smell. I really really love this.

I can't believe there aren't more reviews for this one. It's my 2nd bottle of BPAL perfume and I took a real chance it would work for me since it seems so many don't. I've tried this a few times and overall results are...

In the bottle: Cheesecake with a hint of sharp thyme in it. Somewhat overwhelmingly sweet, almost cloying.

Wet: As someone else above put it I get a sharp tangy thyme/lemon zest that overrides everything else at first.

Dry: I get a hint of the thyme/lemon with a hint of the creamy cheesecake. The longer I have it on the more the thyme lemon fades into a creamy sweetness (depending on my chemistry with a bit of bite to it). Not overwhelming and definitely enjoyable.

I need to make this bottle last a long, long, long time (or find another bottle of it!). And maybe rethink my general disdain of foodie scents.

Lemon meringue cheesecake. This is a zesty, sugary lemon cheesecake. I get a teeny bit of thyme, which dials down the sweetness.

Except now I want cheesecake. And pie.

This scent really makes me too hungry.

This scent is GENIUS, and although I wasn't sure I was going to even try it, I'm so glad I did. Because this is unexpectedly one of my favorite BPAL scents ever. Maybe I've just worn too many vanilla based scents because now smelling like a cupcake is kinda 'meh'. I need something more special, more unique, something that makes you do a double take or feel like you *have* to keep huffing. This scent is it. It started out in the bottle as a very rich lemon cheesecake with the tiniest hint of thyme, but it lightened up as it dried down into a creamy cheesecake with light lemon - very reminiscent of lemon meringue, but no, it's definitely cheesecake, right down to the graham cracker crumbs. My skin has been eating up oil recently and most scents have vanished within an hour or two, but this one stuck around all day. It was so beautiful, not too heavy but strong enough to be clearly detectable. Not so sweet as to be sickly. Just gorgeousness. :wub2:

I'm head over heels for this beaver! :lol: It's like the most luscious lemony cheesecake on the planet, and I do love me some lemon cheesecake. The cheesecake note is rich, creamy and vanillaed with the lemon giving it the right amount of tang to balance the sweetness. I used to be terrified of pear because it can sometimes go saccharine on me, but not here. The pear note, if anything, adds more interest and complexity and gives it a more autumnal feel than just lemon alone. I don't amp thyme, so I can't say that it's really prominent on me, but it's probably a contributing factor in rounding it out. This making me wonder if a similar (edible) cheesecake recipe would taste as good as this smells!

Sweet lemon cheesecake! I can smell the lemon zest and the sweetness of the cheesecake. I truly want to eat my arm...and so this must go to another home. I need a slice of cheesecake...but not this perfume. I hate to smell like food. But it is truly delicious!!!

Not sure if my sniffer isn't working today, but I can hardly smell this one at all, and I slathered! Mostly a faint graham cracker crust here, with the faintest touch of pear. I was sneezing a lot yesterday, so I'm thinking my sense of smell may be thwarted. What I do smell is nice. I'll re-visit this one in a day or two..

oh wait, there's a bit of lemon now. Kind of like a very muted Knockout Drops with graham cracker crust. I love Knockout Drops, so this is a good thing. Not sure I need any more, but this one is nice to try.

In the bottle: Lots of lemon zest grated on the top of that cheesecake, mixed w/ the thyme.

Wet: The lemon zest and the thyme aren't playing nicely together. :(

The dry-down: It's calmed down now, and there's faint hints of the sugared pear and the cheesecake, but this partial probably won't be a keeper.

ITB: Wow, it's really, really rich cheesecake with gobs of sugar and a faint lemon glaze. It's rather foody, but the lemon makes me really intrigued.

Wet: There's more lemon and some thyme on my skin. In fact, the sugar takes on a flight Fresh's Brown Sugar quality to it with a subtle hint of cheesecake and graham-cracker crust.

Dry: After several hours, I get lemon-tinged creme brulee with a hint of graham cracker. It's nice, even for a foody scent.

It is sweet. I get the apples and a little bit of dairy. It’s more like a baked apple with cream on it.

Edited by aquazoo

In the bottle - A softy tangy cheese cake

Wet on me - Soft pears with a gentle touch of herbs and that cheese cake in the back ground

Dry on me - A sweet light cheese cake scent

Overall - Pretty but a tad bland

I have finally tracked down a bottle of this stuff. Thank you to a lovely BPAL friend for the hook-up ;) I couldn't help myself and tested it immediately.

Beaver Moon I is the lemon custard inside a lemon meringue pie. As it dries, it morphs into a candied pear. I'd compare it to a less exotic Albedo v5 (instead of coconut, BM has creamy custard). It's pretty straightforward and ridiculously delicious. :yum:

This in the bottle is lemon zest. But on the skin the cheesecake comes out a lot. When it all dries down I get the perfect lemon cheesecake. Sweet and mouth watering. Never get much pear maybe it's just adding to the overall sweetness. :yum:

Oh, this is the epitome of gourmand to me! It smells like a delicious, decadent dessert. When first applied and drying down, the thyme was around a bit, but by the time it set, it was mostly lemon zest, cheesecake, and sugared pear.

Wet: Lemon zest hits my nose first, and that dang delicious cheesecake scent comes in second. The lemon is very, very strong here. Fingers crossed the pear comes out!

Dry: PEAR! We've got pear! Pear and thyme both have made an appearance. The cheesecake and lemon scents have held on as well (though the lemon has definitely faded), but everything is mingling and smells gorgeous together. 

I am so dang happy to have a bottle of this. :heart: