Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Medea

Granddaughter of Helios, Hecate's chosen: Medea was one of the greatest sorceresses of the ancient world. She is the embodiment of ruthless power, indomitable will and furious vengeance. Night-blooming cereus, black orchid, black currant and myrtle leaf enshrouded in the incense of Hecate's cypress and myrrh, and the dark rage of magickal labdanum and intoxicating poppy.

!!!

This. Is. GORGEOUS.

For most of the weartime, Medea is a green-fruit-floral and that's wonderful as it is... but, my sweet Greek gods, it doesn't morph into another episode of When Florals Get Nasty. Near the end, it dries into something a little darker, like the enchanted garden of an evil sorceress (hehe. duh!), and drier with the incense (without the smoke?) grounding everything perfectly.

This was a frimp from the lab, and thank every one of those aforementioned gods, because I would have never ordered it for myself. I need a bottle. Or three.

ps; Dear wonderful and glorious Lab. Please never discontinue this. :P

I don't know if you've noticed me swanning around the BPAL board moaning and complaining about Blood Countess giving me a headache and it just wasn't FAIR that something so delicious and gorgeous made me sick.

Well.

Apparently the great Lab Frimper took pity on me when sending me Medea. Maybe they were just sick of hearing about my unrequited BC love.

I know, I know. Poppy is not opium. And Black Currant is not Plum.

And in the imp they are nothing alike. Medea wafts a soft purpley floral scent, with just enough of something to grab my attention. Wet, I'm worried, because it's all myrrh and jasmine (you are right again, there is no jasmine in this blend, so my nose is reading something weird). But then; oh heaven! It's all sticky currant and smoky poppy and lovely orchid.

It reminds me of watering the Nicotiana plants (yes, there is none of that either - but this is a scent memory so it doesn't have to make sense) and getting the sweet of the florals with the smoky edge of tobacco, and catching just a whiff of raspberries from a few rows over. And a little of Paul Smith Woman as well

Anyway. Yes. I must immediately go squander more family resources purchasing a bottle of this. Especially since the frimp the lab sent is already half gone.

Best,

Tzi

Initial impression:

Intensely floral, but not to the point where my nose itches, at least!

First on:

Green, green, green – guh.

Dry:

After 10 mins, it's a heavy floral, without any very distinctive notes.

Another half an hour later, it has mellowed to a more resin-like scent, with florals in the background.

Finally:

An okay scent, but not my style. Passing it on!

I don't know what to say except Medea is Morgause's older, deeper, more mature and musky older sister.

This sent is so lovely, while Morgause is purple, this is more burgandy. It's velvety floral and deliciously incensy. It started out on me with a dark red fruit layer (current?) and then had an almost tobacco smell and is now lovely incense and floral musk

I was hoping for more cereus (cereusly!) but I amp incense, so that's what I got.

For those of you getting a bit of a jasmine or a heavy floral, that's the cereus talking.

Medea is...wow! I went in not having high hopes, but decided I'd try it since I'd heard such wonderful things.

Let me just say that most florals and I do not get along. Like, hardly at all. With the exception of rose, usually they end up turning either soapy or sour on me -- pretty disasterous either way. Medea smelled quite floral and pretty in the bottle, which I thought for sure would be the mark of death for me. Not so! This is beautiful! I don't know what the difference is. I mainly get orchid (which is lovely and not overpowering) and currant in the first stages, but on the drydown there's this beautiful, smokey incense smell that gradually emerges. I can also smell the poppy, but it doesn't smell rank like I have usually experienced. Everything comes together in this deep, mysterious, very sweet combo that is perfect.

This is feminine, sparkly, purple and magical. Not my usual cup of tea, but I really like it. I imagine this is how a night elf would smell. :P

There's something almost jasmine-like at first, but Medea soon blends into this lovely, balanced floral...good throw, good wear length. So nice!

imp: lots and lots o' myrtle.

wet: the myrtle actually fades a bit before a subtle, woodsy incense smell. then there's a jasminey floral scent.

dry: there's a nice soft incensey feel to this scent. there is a hint of soapiness on the drydown, not outrageous but there nonetheless.

This smell vaguely reminded me of cherry cola - but not straight out of the bottle, more like a hard candy or lip gloss that's been created to mimic the taste/smell of cherry cola. It's still recognizable, but just a tad off the real thing. I'm assuming the cherry note I got was the "black currant" everyone else is talking about. I definitely smell the myrrh. I like it, it's a nice combination and it works well on me.

Dry, it smells exactly like a shop that carries incense. Like the mingling of a ton of sticks of a little bit of everything. I like it.

Edited by HeavilyArmedPixie

Sniffed in imp: Dark honey coloured. Sharply woodsy and herbal. Cypress, labdanum, myrrh and myrtle hit first. Heady orchid and cereus, somewhat sour currant, spicy and potent poppy. A bit too floral to be unisex. Certainly dark and nocturnal.

A well blended and evocative scent, but not to my liking.

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!

This is dark and heady and incense and deep floral. No bright or white anything here.

Gorgeous.

In the imp: cereus, myrrh, black orchid. The oil is amber brown.

Wet: cypress, black currant

Dry: Very complex. There are so many notes, yet it's blended so well. The cereus, and myrrh wonderfully back drop for orchid and myrtle. A sweetness from the black currant--a marvelous top! A smoky incense permeates the poppy. Dark rich purple flowers in dark resinous air.

I was afraid that this would be overly floral, but Medea settles on my skin. The currant takes on a hint of wine. The cereus floats in the myrrh and cypress for hours. Very nocturnal, sinister and darkly magical.

:P

Green and orchidy. I'm not getting the currant note--rats! I see why some have compared this to Morgause but I liked Morgause better. This is just kind of eh on me.

In The Bottle

Night blooming fowers, slightly fruity

On Application

The orchid amps up but i get a bit of labdanum as well

Dry Down

Incense and fresh flowers. My nose seems to be able to pick out cypress easily in blends - just as well I like it. And then the orchid is back witha vengeance. Sigh.

Rating (0-5)

In the Imp: Flowery and sweet and incensy. Complex and lovely.

On the Skin: Not just flowery, but floral. Make that Floral. Big f. I get a bit of fruity sweetness in the back, and a heady whiff of incense.

After a While: Soapy. srsly. I'm wondering if this is my allergies, because this week EVERYTHING is soapy or gross. I actually clunked an entire order - nothing smelled good. Has got to be the schnoz. Might have to lay off stalking bpal for a month until this clears up.

Verdict: Soap, but the theory is excellent. Am going to have to retest. May consider a nose replacement... think it would help?

in the imp: interesting. i get lavender and cypress, though i don't recall either note being in the blend. :P

wet on skin: same, with a hint of something very "green" coming through- myrtle?

dry down: very green now, in deed. changed completely, as sometimes happens. reminds me of being in a green fern-filled wood after a heavy rain.

in all: not so much my particular thing, but this smells lovely and full of nature regardless.

:D

In the bottle, flowery and almost herbal. I'm mostly getting orchid, poppy, and myrtle; no one note stands out, but it is lovely.

Wet the cypress jumps out at me, followed soon by the orchids, then the cereus. The cypress and myrtle keep this from being too flowery but it is still a beautiful blend so far. Nothing is fighting to reach the fore. As it dries I'm beginning to smell the myrrh and eventually the labdanum.

Dry this is gently sweet but still herbal and incensey. All of the sudden the currant and labdanum pop out; interesting. The myrrh is still a strong undertone as the currant softens again to make way for orchid, poppy, and cereus. This constantly morphs for me, the cypress and myrtle chasing the florals through incense, with ocassional flashes from the currant.

Very lovely, I will enjoy this both on my skin and in a locket.

All I seem to get from Medea is the currant, but I'm not complaining. I'll just age this and see if the other notes come out.

Strong, dark, herbally orchid in the imp. Like a way less yummy, way darker version of Lune Noire. Same on my skin. This is Lune Noire's evil twin, without any of those sweet notes that LN had that made me fall in love. This is not bad, kinda dark and sexy, but not something I would wear. A little too heavy on the incense for me. Also, goes a bit powdery as it dries down.

In the imp: Heavy floral and incense. Very dark, slightly dirty. I prefer light floral scenst, but I'll give this a try because I'm interested to know how the currant will work.

After 5 minutes: The incense stands out. Incense gives me headaches. But the florals in this balance out the smokiness well enough for me to keep this on for a while. Can't smell currant.

After 15 minutes: I had to wash this off. The incense was bothering me. And I smelled no currant, maybe because I was distracted with the smokiness. Dissapointment. :P

Overall:Not for me. If you like dark, incense, smoky smells than this is for you. Otherwise, stay away!

Bought a bottle of this without having smelled it beforehand and boy was I surprised!

In the imp: Originally when I first received Medea, I thought it was very medicinal smelling in the imp. However...after almost a month of aging, it definitely smells more of incense and wine.

On skin: BEAUTIFUL! But not at first...when I first bought it I didn't like it at all, but again, after aging for about a month (without using it at all) or so the scents come together in a gorgeous way not unlike the multiple components that make up a fine wine. This smells like spicy, tangy red wine enjoyed by the fireplace on a cold December night when the first snow is falling.

Drydown: Even better! This has got to be the most magical scent BPAL has to offer...magical in that it transformed itself completely in about one month from something I didn't quite like to something I'm absolutely head over heels in love with!

Conclusion: If you like sharp, wine scents and don't mind perhaps waiting a little for it to morph (depending on your body course), this si the scent for you. Brings a smile to my face...it's just a feel-good scent. But still sharp enough to be considered sexy and elegant. I adore it! And it has great throw!

I am not a floral lover, but YE GODS I would be happy to wear this many a time. I'm not even familiar enough with the flowers listed here to be able to pick out which note is strongest, but they are well balanced by the incense notes. Not too bitter and incensy, but not too sickly sweet. This is not your grandmother's floral perfume. This is the perfume of a witch who knows her craft.

Imp: dark floral round out by something to keep it from being too sweet

Wet On Me: spicy floral. The orchid is wonderful and the myrrh gives a darkness to it

Drying Down: ancient but not in a bad way.

Dry: This mellows on me. Soft sharpened floral but not getting any of the

cypress. Imps are good, probably won’t get a bottle

Dark and fruity, purple, incense. Reminds me of a few other bpal oils, all variations of a theme. After a long while, this takes on a gilded quality, or something like gold filigree. All the while, there is a slightly powdery element, but not so much that it repels me. I admire the artistry of this, but for me personally it verges on womanly (which I am not). Also, I have other fruity and/or incense scents that I prefer.

In the vial: Floral with a green edge, I think it's orchid but I'm not too sure.

Wet: Sharp, green orchids and something else. I'm not very sure I like the smell of orchids but there's another note that is keeping it in check and makes the scent quite pleasant.

Drydown: This dries to a soft lovely floral and currant scent with a underlying darkness to it that is quite gorgeous.

Overall: I like it and will definitely keep my imp! Have to give it a few more tries before I will consider a bottle. :)