Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hypothermya

Libertine

Rosewood and chamomile with bergamot, violet, red sandalwood, primrose and Arabian musk.

Imp
Sweet, airy, and delicate. A very pretty mix.

Wet
At first, it is almost too light to detect and then it strengthens like a memory creeps into mind. It it is whisper of greenery with a sweet aftertaste. The notes in this imp are reminiscent of midnight, but more what I expected midnight to smell like. If I were to pick one word for this scent it woudl be ethereal.

Dry
This got a touch powdery, but on the whole remains a very pretty, delicate scent. I rather do enjoy the blend and I highly recomend it for someone who does not want overwhelming florals but still that girly feeling.

In bottle: a little spicy and a lot clean, there's something a little like burnt sugar

Wet: a very floral scent. It's hard to characterize it--not too sweet, not too clean, not too spicy...a nice balance of florals.

Dry: once again, a well-balanced floral. The primrose comes through on the dry-down, but it's not too strong.

I think this is a lovely blend, but just not my style.

A very refined and elegant floral. This doesn't shout or push the envelope. It is classic and feminine and will arch one perfectly groomed eyebrow at your appalling lack of taste.

The violet and rosewood I recognize most clearly after the initial freshness of the bergamot. The powdery sweetness of the violet plays off the somehow more sombre tone of the rosewood. The sandalwood is lovely as always and it, along with the musk, keeps this blend from being prim.

I like it.

Wet, I can smell violet and primrose, and a hint of lime. This is quite violetty and rosey, but it's also very gentle, or should that be genteel? I can see an 18th century dandy wearing this at Versailles.

On drydown it gets rosier, but I can tell this isn't a white or tea rose that's going to go all soapy and high. Although that might be down to the rosewood, chamomile, and musk doing an admirable job of restraint.

Overall: This is a fantastic oil that is primarily rose-but-not-rose on my skin. I don't know it I'll be getting a bigger bottle of it, but I'm sorely tempted.

eta: updated with a better review.

Oro

Edited by Orodemniades

Libertine

In the imp: violet and camomile.

Wet on skin: still violet and camomile, and now the bergamot comes through, and possibly the rosewood too.

Dry: I like it! Now I smell more woody notes coming out, but the violet, bergamot and camomile are still there. This is a light, dry, sweetish scent, very pleasant and unisex. I think I’m also getting a bit of musk, a sweet, deep musk scent which adds another dimension to the scent. Sometimes Arabian musk turns ‘perfumey’ on me but not so much in here.

After a while: I know rosewood isn’t related to rose, but in here, it smells slightly rosy! Or maybe that’s the primrose-even though that isn’t related to rose either (and I don’t know what primroses smell like)? Maybe the combination or rosewood with the musk gives it that effect, but no matter-I like it! There’s also a good strong violet topping to this scent, and the camomile and sandalwood are still there. I think the musk is giving it a nice depth.

Verdict: I like this fragrance a lot, though it did surprise me by suddenly developing a rose note out of nowhere…this is a nice little mix of dry sweet woods, dusty violets, camomile, bergamot and a musk note that adds depth and a richer sweetness. I’m also getting a rose like scent from this which is unexpected but rather pleasant-this also makes the scent more feminine than I expected. Nevertheless, this is a sophisticated and grown up scent which I really enjoy-not so much for a bottle, but I’ll keep the imp.

In the bottle - Very faint bergamot.

Wet on me - Sweet, soapy florals, the primrose I would guess.

Dry on me - The rosewood comes out, which is nice because it is a favourite of mine. It's very soft and slightly sweet in this blend. It also seems to last well.

this was a freebie imp from the lab, for which i give a hearty "thank you".

the great thing about receiving an scent you never would have noticed otherwise, is that they often turn out to be quite nice! libertine is one of these; a rather subtle and refined little number, the first thing i notice is the bergamot - a bit lemony, like earl grey tea...and violets! yay violets! libertine reminds me of a british tea room, with an old-fashioned teapot and china with little roses on it. a drop of rose-like scent appears later, primrose or rosewood - not rose per se, but rose-like. and the chamomile (if that's the note i detect) is fresh and clean, but not in a laundry-detergent-up-your-nose way. i dunno...this is a hard one to describe actually, but i'll leave it at this: subtle, refined, clean, balanced.

I've loved rosewood in other blends, but I could barely smell anything from this imp. Maybe I got an old (or young) imp. But I got the faintest, tiniest hint of roses and then nothing. Odd, Ouija did the same thing for me. I'd try it again to make sure, but sadly I don't think this one will work on me.

In the Imp... Whoa. Cedar and Pine? Why am I getting cedar and pine?

:P

Wet ~ I smell like a forest. I love the forest. I don't want to smell like one, though.

On the drydown ~ Pine remains... though it did turn softer and I got some notes of sandlewood ~ but I just don't like the cedar and pine scents...

Clean smelling ~ would make for a nice mens cologne, I think.

This is a sweet rose on me, tempered by the chamomile. There's also a hint of bergamot. As it dries, it becomes a subdued sandalwood, overlaid by rose and chamomile. This is a lovely and complex scent, but I don't think it's me.

frimp from the lab.

In the bottle: Super-clean. Hard to pick out much but rosewood right now.

Wet on skin: Bright roses with a big cup of earl grey splashed on top. Delicious. I would call this a Victorian scent.

Dry down: A perfect blend of roses, tea, and spices with just a tad of lavender break-dancing in the background.

This blend is gorgeous but I'm not sure that I'd get a big bottle for my skin. I think that I want my bed to smell like Libertine.

Wet: Sweet flowers and a little musk.

Dry: Musky, earthy, incensy, maybe a tad of cucumber. Sometimes lovely and very sexy... sometimes a bit too cucumber tangy. I like it, but will be satisfied with the imp unless it morphs seriously later.

while wet: a very watery aquatic scent. it reminds me a LOT of Water of Notre Dame.

I smell roses, something citrussy, and sandalwood. and there is chamomile.

I don't smell any violet and usually violet stands out right away on me because I hate it so much.

This does make me think of the Victorian times. I'm actually unsure of whether I want to keep this or not.

the staying power is moderate to strong.

Edited by ancilla

Initial impression: Wow. Fresh and clean. I'm getting a powerful, wet citrus. Must be the bergamot. Whatever it is, it's bold.

While wearing: I really, really like this, and I didn't expect to. I usually like the darker, smokier blends. But the crisp citrus scent fades within the first 20-30 minutes, leaving a really lush, round floral with just a hint of woodsiness. For some reason I feel like sitting in a rocking chair on a verandah sipping mint juleps, and I don't even know what mint juleps are.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to last very long on me. It's wispy after about one hour. But when I catch wisps of it, it's wonderful. I completely agree with reviewers who said it would be great spritzed on bed linens.

Will just use the imp, since hubby crinkles his nose a bit at this one, but I'll love using up the imp.

Husband's reaction: "Smells like old-lady purple."

Wet: Reminds me pleasantly of Twilight and Dove’s Heart

20 minutes: Now reminding me of Water of Notre Dame, which is a bit worrisome, but this one is doesn't seem to be allergic-making (yet).

1 hour: powdery sweet violets.

I didn’t smell the musk, sandalwood, or anything else much – just violets.

This fades pretty quickly on me.

Not really my scent - so off to the swap pile.

in the bottle, the rosewood and sandalwood form a solid base, the violets are pretty, and the herbal chamomile is a nice touch. it smells like a real lady’s perfume, if that makes sense. like one you’d buy in an expensive retail store. bright, floral and womanly. however, my skin hates all citrus, bergamot definitely included. on me, it smells like the rosewood has polished with Lemon Pledge. :P off to swaps!

Libertine is a clear, light, airy fragrance - perfect for work environments where unobtrusive scents are required. For me, it is a much lovelier version of Estee Lauder's Pleasures - the notes in Libertine are far more natural and nose-friendly.

If you are the type to steer clear of heady or cloying florals but would like a feminine fragrance, this would definitely be worth a try. This is rosewood, chamomile and bergamot on me with the other notes not really making their presence felt until an hour or so after it is applied, and I didn't ever get the violets I hoped for. I want to use the word dry or peppery but neither is what I am really looking to say. :P

I think Libertine would really come into its own when you need an elegant perfume for daytime.

this review isn't so much about the scent as it is about the story I got when wearing the scent specifically to review. I'm happy it gave me a story.

imp: the scent of violets waft past your face as you flick the starched linen square open and spread it over one knee. it takes a bleary moment for your eyes to focus on the thing on your breakfast plate: a charming little bunch of violets and primrose, all wrapped in a lock of hair for a bow.

You hand the plate to a passing servant and watch another pour your tea. You barely wonder who it was this time.

wet: perhaps the musk and sandalwood was the reason for it: when you walked by, the cloud of violet was sprightly, acceptable, floating from wrists and throat. but in rest to speak with an new and dear friend with the jewelled toe of one shoe resting between theirs, a warm embrace that touched from knee to shoulder ("But come! We are friends!") and the jocular intimaticy that invited petting and caressing of someone new and beautiful, the musk and sandalwood fought its way through silk and linen to capture the senses, borne by the body's heat.

when you leave the object of your attentions, you leave behind a slight stammer and bright flushed faces, watching you for the rest of the occasion.

20 minutes: you wanted a quiet dinner. specifically, you wanted a quiet dinner with your new friend. but there were violets and primrose on your plate again.

Really, you should also start teaching these youngsters how to take a hint.

later: in the night while your new friend sleeps you open the sandalwood box and touch the latest posy of violet and primrose, wilted without the love of water, bound by a lover's hair.

it will dry like the others, and you will keep them in this box for when the night is at its deepest, and you are at your most alone. you will touch them and remember: they love you. desperately. you have that power, to make them love you...if only they love this piece that you give, and then take away cruelly, so they feel they might die of it.

they love you. this is the proof.

love it. mmm.

i took notes on this one when i tried it, not having access to the forums or the lab's website, nor to the description:

light & citrusy, and something like eucalyptus? (ohmygoodness, everything smells like eucalyptus to me. i think i simply associate the BPAL herbal notes with eucalyptus; cool and sharp.)

wearing, libertine morphs into a warm, soft, sweet baby powder.

very pleasant. i like this one. :)

ETA almost a month later; my god, i have fallen so in love with this oil! it has become the perfect scent for me to wear to bed, i crave it every night of late. i simply cannot get enough of it. big bottle covet list, for sure. <3 <3 <3!!!

Edited by undream

there's something in this that doesn't smell quite right on me. it could be the rosewood, as i think it didn't work on me in another scent. it smells kind of sweet, but herbal and reminds me of a commercial perfume. it gives me a headache, which is too bad, because i love bergamot and many of the other notes, but this just gets incredibly strong and overwhelming on my skin.

In the imp: Chamomile is the most noticible, but I do get a whiff of sandalwood and a touch of musk.

Wet: Chamomile and bergamot first and foremost, and sandalwood rising fast to dominate. Mmm, that's really elegant, actually. Perhaps a touch too masculine for regular wear, but I am a chamomile fan so this has already perked my interest.

Drydown: Rosewood! :P No more chamomile, though, but the remaining notes are just humming together wonderfully. It is rather relaxed, though, in fact its making me a bit too relaxed. Libertine is very calming and quiet. On the downside, my arm is just sucking this one up. It's fading way too quickly. :D

Woe.

Verdict: I'm going to hold onto this one. The imp may find its way into a small bottle of hand lotion, most probably. 3/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrrve

Edited by Medici

This is my first review, so it's probably not the best, but here goes...

Wet on my skin, it's a lovely violet floral scent. Unfortunately, within 2 hours the dry scent reminds me of a rosy potpourri. Oh well. I'll use my imp of this is my oil burner.

In the bottle, this is very herbal and floral; the rosewood, primrose and chamomile are very prominent followed by a backdraft of bergamot and musk. This is sweetly floral with an underlying naughty tone to it. Wet, the primrose and violet mix with the bergamot to create a heady overtone that is mellowed by musky chamomile. Dry, the florals are the high notes, layered over a bed of musk and woods while the bergamot has faded almost entirely from detection in a matter of minutes. The woods mix in a sweet-and-heady manner that is the perfect base for the florals; violet and primrose lay over the woods and support the distinctly herbal-floral note of chamomile. The bergamot and musk make random appearances in this but have primarily disappeared. As this breathes, the sandalwood takes a more serious place, rising slowly and seductively to the top and then slithering back down and through the other notes - when at the top, it is a very RED wood smell, reminding me strongly of cedar, but smokier - muskier - than cedar. This continues to shift and play for hours, the woods and chamomile being the obvious high notes while the primrose and musk mingle in a soft and supple manner until you can detect both or neither. At once playful and lazy, this scent is maddeningly calm in it's constant change.

libertine is a little weird on me... i smell flowers, but there is something sour in it. After a short while, this goes completely to Chamomile (which I'm not a fan of).

after about an hour, this smells still of chamomile,but with the violet as well...

ah well, off to the swap pile!