Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hypothermya

Baku

Our Nightmarebane. Named after the Baku, benevolent Japanese spirits that eat nightmares. In Japanese tradition, nightmares are gifts from malevolent spirits; when you wake up from one, you may call, "Baku, please eat my dreams!", and if you are virtuous and merciful in spirit, the Baku will devour the evil, transforming it into a blessing of good fortune.

In the bottle: Eucalyptus and anise. I loathe anise. It smells like absinthe. I havne't tried BPAL's absinthe, but this smells like the bottle sitting on my shelf. Bleh.

First on: Yup. Absinthe. It's not too strong, so if I had a nightmare, I'm sure I could use it. Luckily, I havne't had a real nightmare in about 7 years, so I won't have to use it all that often. I'll have to get BPAL's Absinthe now jsut to see how much it's different.

Drydown: Now it's a bit soapy, and I can only smell it if I search through the soap and look for what I know it to smell like. I guess it doesn't have to last long though, jsut enough to fall back asleep. I'm definitely keeping it because it has a purpose, but I hope I don't need it. Hehe Edited by Shollin

I get lavender, some herbs, and a big splash of salty ocean spray :P . There might be something of Japanese origin in here, something about it reminds me of how Japan smelled to me. Like maybe there's soy in there or something. This reminds me a lot of Temple of Dreams, only lighter and with that Jolly Roger sea spray all through it. Sadly, I don't notice any particular effectiveness, possibly because it fades very quickly on me. But I'm glad I tried it!

(Don't have a need to rid myself of/need help with nightmares, so I'm testing this as a perfume scent.)

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in one word: Anise.

In the imp: Some kind(s) of herb(s) and lavender -- mostly lavender. Lavender and I have been getting a bit friendlier with lavender lately, which is why I wanted to try this one. Getting kind of wary of Baku, though.

On skin, wet: Ah, hello anise! Anise and I, we're not great friends.

On skin, dry: The roles seem to have been reversed; this is now mostly anise, with a bit of lavender beneath. I'm not sure which I like better. This actually isn't bad -- the anise is kind of... creamy -- but I don't think I'd wear it.

Throw/strength: This has a strong throw, and lasts about five hours.

Conclusion: Not bad, but not something I could see myself wearing as a fragrance. As I said, I don't dislike it, so I'll keep it around and see if it grows on me.

Edited by Aredhel

This scent is totally awesome! I put this on the kids before bed hoping Baku will keep them from having nightmares in the first place. :P

This is very Eucalyptus which to me brings back very fond memories. In my old neighborhood, in Encinitas, CA, on Sheridan street. If you go down to the end of the "street" well there is actually a private driveway that serves a couple houses. Wasn't like that when I was a kid though. So I guess I should say if you could get to the end there are a bunch of Eucalyptus trees growing along the bank leading down to the lagoon. I use to sit there for hours and just stare across highway 101 at Ponto Beach and watch sunsets and sunrises like all summer long back in those days. I could always smell the strongest and most soothing eucalyptus and grassy dry woods. There was an old rope swing where if you swung far enough out you would see only the cold water of the lagoon if you laid on your stomach and kicked hard enough you could swear you were flying. Baku is all those memories flooding back.

It brings back too many childhood memories to wear all the time but I absolutely love it!

i get mostly lavendar and mint from this sleepytime blend....i find that if i apply this on my

temples and wrists right after i have my cup of spearmint tea i sleep incredibly soundly and what dreams i do experience are extremely pleasant .... very nice blend indeed :P

I have no idea what's going on with my body chemistry. From the vial, this reminds me of eucalyptus and aloe, calming and cleansing. On my skin, however, this blend is all licorice and fish oil. It's astringent and makes my eyes water. Every once in a while, I get hints of what seems like a cool, calming scent, but it quickly reverts back to licorice. Weird.

lavender, dude, and lots of it!

then this kind of green/lushness underneath, I dont get the eucalyptus though.... or anise.

mike and I both tried this last night, I slept, like a baby for once, except for a very disturbing house fire dream :P

mike is still sleeping now! but I'm thinking his regular medication has more to do with that, lol.

scent wise, it's very relaxing, soothing, smells clean and comforting. didn't last very long, mostly I can still smell whatever perfume I put on before bed the next morning, but nothing, like a dream scent!

In the bottle: Eucalyptus and lavender! Woody and floral. To my mind, a distinctly purple scent.

Wet on skin: Lavender. Something - lemony? Oooh, I think I smell anise.

Dry on skin: Lemony and soft, sweet lavender. Sharp, but not too sharp, and rather soothing.

Over time: Soft, smooth lavender, with a low gentle note of anise in it. The sharper notes have calmed down, leaving me with this incredibly smooth, sweet, herbal-floral scent.

Overall: Oh, I like this very much. It's smooth and relaxing. Unfortunately, elf likes neither lavender nor anise, so I won't be wearing it too often. Maybe a night scent, like Dreamland. 3/5

Before reading the reviews this was all sage to me. Now I can smell lavender too, but the initial impression still is sage.

I didn't try this as perfume. I used it before bedtime to see if it would stop me from waking up every other hour during the night because of bad dreams. And indeed, this was the first night for a long time I've been fast asleep.

For me it's nothing I'd wear as a perfume, but it makes a great bedtime scent- and it works.

ETA: Of course this is mostly lavender *smacks forehead*- I've been all focused on sage because I have some sage-candies that smell exactly the same. Nonetheless I get something herbal behind it, it's not exclusively lavender.

Edited by shadith

at first: superbly sharp lavender.

on: lavender and sweet anise.

overall: i don't typically have nightmares, so i can't speak for how well this works on that. however, i liked the scent and it was nice and unobtrusive while i was trying to go to sleep.

Oh my word... I love this for scent alone.

Lavender + fennel + a touch of floral that I can't ID = slightly sweet, gentle, sexy spice.

I'm slowly working through the Dream Formulas, and tried Baku out for the first time last night. A small dab to my pillow with the imp wand brought a huge wave of eucalyptus. It was very strong, which makes me think that turning it into a spray might help lessen the intensity.

Unfortunately for me, I got a rather backward turn of events with this. The smell of Baku on my pillow actually induced nightmares, and I eventually had to turn over my pillows and put Somnus on them and my hands. It helped, but every time I caught a hint of Baku the bad images came back up.

Since I am not one to just give up on a blend, I plan on trying this again in the future and hope it returns different results.

I know this isn't a perfume and I really didn't try it out while asleep, so I don't know how helpful this review will be. As soon as I opened the imp and smelled eucalyptus mixed with anise, I went running for the hills. Note that I almost always try on every single perfume I get even if it smells horrible, but this most likely would have made me sick to my stomach. I just cannot handle eucalyptus and any sort of licorice smells. I wasn't even brave enough to put it on. :P I feel a bit ashamed now.

Edited by strawberry star

Lavender, with some sharp herbal notes in it. It's a nice relaxing blend, though not as good for me as Somnus or Oneiroi. I haven't noticed any change in my nightmares, but I don't get them that often anyway. It is a good scent to inhale after waking up from one, as it's very calming. Not my favorite of the Somnium oils (I've tried all but Temple of Dreams), but I'll keep it around.

In the imp: Lavender and anise.

Wet: Mostly lavender, but I can smell the anise floating lightly underneath.

Drydown: The anise comes to the forefront and the lavender remains a soft accent.

Verdict: I love lavender essential oil and the lavender in this blend is very similar. The combo of the anise and lavender reminds me of the candy-coated fennel seeds served as an after-dinner treat at Indian restaurants. I can see how this scent would promote a good-night's sleep. Perhaps I will purchase a bottle for that purpose once I use up my bedside bottle of lavender EO.

Bottle: Sharp, astringent, and reminiscent of something I can't quite put my finger on.

Wet: Eucalyptus and..lighter fluid? Er, greener than that, but...yeah.

Dry: Faded almost immediately to hints of the eucalyptus and...something else.

Later: Keeps fading, which is good..but still that weird chemical quality. Must wash.

WHOA. Ok, so normally when I get a scent I try it on anyway if I don't like how it smells in the vial. I'm afraid I didn't even give Baku that chance. I opened it last night to put it on before bed, and I don't even know what I initially smelled, but my immediate reaction was to get the vial closed as quickly as possible. And then when I realized I'd gotten some on my fingers, I gave them a little sniff, and then scrubbed my hands furiously.

Some people have said Eucalyptus and Anise, and perhaps lemon? Those three mixed could probably match what I smelled, and it just doesn't work for me. This one goes straight to the swap pile. Too bad, really. Oneiroi is one of my top 5 BPAL scents. I'll stick with that one for my dream time.

This smells like Temple of Dreams (strong lavender) but with a slightly creamy, aniseed-y background. I still slept great wearing this one, but more than that I had a dream that should have been very disturbing, but I remained calm and actually woke up feeling fresh and perfectly ok (although a little confused as to why such an awful dream didn't upset me!).

Almost instantly, this becomes anise. Nothing but anise. Until it shifts and becomes sour. The mental image I come away with is stale black jellybeans, which is not quite what I was hoping for from this.

I can't speak of the efficacy of this in regards to dreams because the one time I tried to sleep after applying this, I had to get up within 20 minutes to wash it off. Even without the sour note, the anise is just too strong, and breathing it in while trying to sleep was a quick recipe for insomnia and a headache.

I wish that I could've liked this, as I find baku fascinating... but it wasn't meant to be.

Baku came as a freebie in a swap package, and I was excited to try something from the Somnium category. The initial fragrance was lovely fresh lavender . . . And then the anise hit.

Other reviews have suggested additional fragrance notes in this one, but for me it was a two-note song: anise and lavender, lavender and anise. I'm not crazy about anything licorice-like--licorice included--so that turned me off the fragrance. If those notes make you happy, however, then may Baku eat all your edible dreams. :P

Baku - For weeks on end now, I have had a multitude of disturbing dreams at night. Not nightmares per se, but incredibly stressful, frustrating, disturbing, and highly intense dreams that stay with me long after I awake in the morning. I’ve had an untested imp of Baku laying around for a while, so I decided to give it a shot and see if it would help, even though it’s specifically for nightmares. Well, the first night I tried it, I slept like a baby and had nothing but pleasant dreams. So I tried it again with the same result. The next night, I opted to go without Baku, and my distressing dreams returned. On the fourth night, I test Baku again for the third time, and had nothing but lovely dreams and I felt fully rested and peaceful when I woke up. Same again on nights five and six. I would say Baku does its job and does it phenomenally well! The scent is a bit odd – it smells strongly of lavender when initially applied, but as it dries down and the strong lavender fades a bit, a couple of other notes appear. One is exceptionally faint and barely discernible, but I believe it is anise. The other is stronger, but even harder to identify. It makes the inside of my nose cold when I inhale and helps lightly clear my head, and I think that scent is most likely bay leaf. This is an incredibly useful scent and I will be buying a bottle of it.

In the vial: Very sharp lavender. With something else that I don't know the name of.

On me: The sharpness of this blend softens when it hits my skin. It's still there, just not in the forefront. It smells really nice and comforting!

Verdict: Keeper!

Rating: 3/5

Wow! A Somnus frimp from the Lab. This is teh awesome! :P

In the imp: Dude, that's sharp like a needle, yet intriguing.

Wet: This is all lavender on me. I have an eye pillow that is lightly scented with lavender and this reminds me of it.

Drydown and wear: This remains very strong lavender and very sharp. Sadly, it is irritating my nose to smell it, which is a shame, as some of my favorite oils have lavender in them (like Mercury). This is so sad--I wanted to be able to hold onto this, but it looks like I will have to swap it away. :D

Edited by The_Merf

Baku

In the imp: lavender and…anise? There’s something a bit spicy underneath the lavender.

Wet on skin: yup, it’s either liquorice or anise here, with the lavender…

Dry: interesting. This smells like Kyoto with lavender-I get that same cherry-anise scent from Kyoto, but here there’s lavender added to it. There’s an almost medicinal and cherry candy like feel to the scent, it’s rather odd when combined with lavender! At times, the anise (I think) smells piercing, clear and sharp, almost like a eucalyptus scent. This is definitely not one I’d wear as perfume but hopefully it will be a good sleep aid…

After a while: after a while, the lavender fades completely, and I’m left with a soapy anise scent. It’s almost like Kyoto but more soapy and medicinal. I think I get a bit of cherry blossom in here. It’s not a scent I’m keen on, but I do feel sleepy right now…let’s see if Baku will keep those nightmares away and send me to sleep.

The morning after: this didn’t really work. I didn’t sleep very well that night-but it did keep my nightmares away-I didn’t have any! But I didn’t have any particularly interesting dreams either.

Verdict: scent-wise, this isn’t my favourite. It starts off quite interestingly, lavender and anise, but then it smells oddly like medicine and then it turns quite soapy, with a hint of liquorice in the background. An unusual scent and one is ok, but not my thing…it’s a bit too soapy and reminiscent of sore throat or cough medicine for me. it didn’t make any difference to my sleep either-I was still as insomniac as ever when I wore this to bed. But I didn’t get nightmares, so that worked…

Baku is my favorite of all the Somnium scents. I like to consider myself something of a lavender connoisseur, and Baku is the most sophisticated lavender blend I've ever put on my skin. I can detect anise as the second most prominent note, and who would've thought that lavender and licorice would go so well together?

I originally got Baku as a frimp, and when I tried it on it immediately took effect. It didn't put me to sleep so much as it put me at ease. I think this may be because of the familiar and yet original blend of anise and lavender oils. I'm definitely buying a bottle of this because it is both functional (I did have a good night's sleep) and peculiar -- and I just love scents that smell peculiar.

A+! I only wish that it lasted a bit longer on my skin; I've considered blending it in a lotion or into some shea butter to put on my temples.