Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Tum

Hail unto Thee who art Tum in Thy setting, even unto Thee who art Tum in Thy joy, who travellest over the Heavens in Thy bark at the Down-going of the Sun. Tahuti standeth in His splendour at the prow, and Ra-Hoor abideth at the helm. Hail unto Thee from the Abodes of Day!

In the imp: sweet and fruity, red grape juice. Smells like I should drink this, but no, I apply it to my skin.

Wet on skin: still sweet, juicy grapes but I swear a bit of spice is coming through.

Dry on skin: oh wow. This is really interesting, it smells sweet and fruity, but there's a dry spiciness here, reminds me of the desert, it's also quite tart. I'm wondering what could be in this…saffron? Amber? Cinnamon? All of these? Grapes, definitely but now it's turning into sweet wine more than grape juice. The spicy smell reminds me of an Egyptian spice market, where you see huge piles of spice powders and smell them on the breeze. And I can smell honey, yup, that's definitely honey in this, and it's very strong on me. I am tempted to lick it off.

After a while: this is very, very sweet! There's lots of honey, and squished juicy fruit there, and something else-possibly amber. I think there's also fig or berries of some sort in this, as well as grapes, with the spices underneath.

After an hour or two, this smells just like the delicious Elderflower and Honey Cordial I sometimes drink-which is very nice indeed!

Verdict: this is a very nice one. On me, it's lots of honey and grapes and sweet fruits. And like the other Egyptian scents, it does conjure up images of ancient Egypt in my mind, relaxing by the Nile watching a sunset with a glass of honeyed wine done in the ancient style, whilst the smell of spices from the nearby market waft by on the breeze. It's honey sweet with a slight tartness that prevents it becoming sickly, and a hint of warm spices-it smells so sweet and edible, and I want to lick it off. It's gorgeous and very laid back, the perfect evening scent. I can't wait to try Ra now, these Stations of the Sun are incredible.

I was gifted a shortie of Tum a while back (you know who you are - thanks!) and for some reason haven't tried it until today. It is really an amazing scent!

In the bottle, Tum is very fruity and sweet. A lucious grape scent. But as soon as it hits my skin, the grape fades and a spicy note comes out. I mostly smell cinnamon. Still very yummy! It makes me think of those cinnamon toothpics we all made in grade school, circa 1977. Then, Tum goes through this very brief sour stage - only for a minute or so, but it almost made me wash it off. All this is within just a few minutes of application.

But then, the sourness is gone, and that incense note comes out. I have no idea what it is, but it reminds me of a friend's house which always smells of this. I need to find out what incense she burns! After all this initial morphing, Tum is this wonderful combination of sweet, spicy, and incense. It isn't something that I would typically think of as a "me" scent, but I really like it! Throughout the day, I kept getting lovely whiffs of sweet fruit, cinnamon, and incense alternately. And the staying power is incredible. 8 hours later, Tum is still here.

Overall, not one I would have chosen for myself, but a scent I really like!

In the vial Fruity!!! Grape koolaid fruity. I don't care for fruity blends, especially the ones that start out as grape.

WetRancid grape koolaid. Ick! It's even worse than I thought. There's a metallic scent that overshadows the fruity scent. I really hate this blend. I don't like to use such strong words but it's totally yucky on me.

Dry Nope, it does not improve with age. It smelt better in the vial than it does on my skin. I must go shower now(to remove this and the Wrath I tried before hand)

Wet, it's grape and nothing but.

Near drydown: Still grape, but something mysterious is going on underneath - I'm intrigued.

Far drydown - yum. Old church, incense, a little bit of sweet fruit. I'll re-purchase.

This starts out as an orange/honey mix but I'm getting a scent that reminds me of chewing gum. After reading the reviews I recognize it - that note is grape gum. I hate gum, so I don't think I'm going to be able to get over that association. I'm also getting a faint spicy scent beneath the fruit and honey (carnation maybe?) This is suprisingly strong for a fruit scent, but I'm not sure if it's for me.

Tum

This is a strong herbal from the vial to dry. Very strong lavender. I think it’s lavender. It reminds me of a natural soap shop in British Columbia (I can’t remember the name) that sells all sorts of crazy remedies for all that ails you. Tum is a very strong, medicinal herb scent that’s really not for me. It is very pretty in a strange way, I must admit, but it’s really not for me.

Man...I wish this smelled like grape on me.

Cuz, all it smells like is lavender...with unsweet spices.

Poo.

Oro

I'm wondering if I got the same scent here as my imp of Tum was very spicey, lots of cloves and smoke and no fruit at all, just that almost metallic sweet bite that is clove on my skin. Spicey, fragrant, and a little incensey on the dry down, this was pleasant but just didn't do much for me.

Bottle (Imp): Hmm, it's a bit sweet, and there's something else tickling my nose.

Just On: Yes, it's definitely sweet, and there's in it. I think.

An hour or two later: Oh, this has berries, that's what I'm smelling. Sun-ripened berries.

Around 6 hours: It's tart.

12 hours: There is that last bit of tartness left.

Overall: This is the last of the Stations I've tried, and I do like them all. This is probably my least favorite, and I think I'd buy a bottle, so they are an overwhelming success.

After reading other reviews: Ahhhhhhh, it was the grapes that must have been berry scented to me. SO, a hint of sour grapes... but all in all I like it.

First sniffing at the imp, I disliked it. It just seemed really woodsy. On first application, however, this becomes woodsy and something that smells like cherry. It has that comforting, enveloping feel to it. However, it ends up just morphing into cherry-tinged grape. Not fruit juice grape, or fruit grape, but whatever bath and body makers imagine grape to be. On second thought, it is rather like Welch's....

Guh.

Just... guh.

Tum is the only Station of the Sun that manages to work for me. It's honeyed grapes, clove, kind of a resinous blend that might be frankincense and amber, and something light and herbal floral that I can't quite identify -- maybe lavender? Whatever all is in it, this scent absolutely sings on my skin. I'm a child of the early evening, and this is my scent. I literally cannot stop sniffing my arm. Tum is truly one of the most comfortable, warm, wonderful scents I've ever smelled. So calming and centering, yet so isolating and... it's like a blanket of the twilight sky around me.

In bottle: Honey and incense? On first sniff this is a very sweet, almost-candy-like scent; on the next scent it goes very herbal with a foody-sweet note. I really don't know how to describe it.

I'm not noticing much in the way of grape, which everyone seems to be mentioning, but at least I'm not the only person who came up with honey and incense for the combination. It makes me feel less crazy.

On me: Definitely, definitely honey. Rich golden honey, like that in Athens, that oozes the same deep golden color of the setting sun over the desert sand. This is a dusty incense scent, too - maybe myrrh? I suspect it to be whatever a traditional Egyptian incense would be, but I don't have a clue what that is.

Still no grapes...I am tempted to purchase a bottle or another imp just to see if I can find the grape in a different batch.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Smack! Honey and wine. It's very sweet, very potent. I get a strong cherry whiff, too, which knocks me back some. Little imp. Lots of power.

Wet, on Skin:

Very edible honey aroma - it's dripping from the combs, and I'm sitting in full sun chewing on a touch of comb with some sweet red wine in my other hand.

Drying/Drydown:

Very syrupy, sugary honey. The wine is receding a bit, but this scent doesn't shift much.

Over Time/Longterm:

Potent golden honey.

Final Verdict?

A mood scent. The imp will last me... I have to be in the right state of mind to enjoy this one, as it is very luxurious, heady, bright and golden, which I'm... not :P

Honey & dry, cinnamon spice with a hint of lavender(I think)...

Within a couple of minutes it sweetens a bit and I get a bit more cinnamon. It's a candy sweetness. Like what you smell when you first open a package of Sweet Tarts.

Then comes the grape. Grape soda pop. Doesn't overwhelm, just peeks through. There's also a touch of incense in the background.

I'm liking it!

tum.jpg

Grape, very grapey blend indeed which is pleasant and likable. Somewhat candylike and I could happily sniff this and watch the sun slide down. Maybe I get a whiff of clove, maybe that is something faintly metallic in here. There is a slightly volatile side to Tum, could be just a tiny bit of pine resin to keep it from flying away. This is a deceptively complex blend which wows you with its grapey goodness then runs in on tip toe to deliver a far more serious punch.

Edited by olympia301

First on, this smells like grapejuice and cherry cough syrup. :P That medicinal cherry smell quickly fades and the grape moves to the background. Now I'm smelling a sort of honeyed myrrh scent with a touch of clove. Golden and spicy. The grape smells sort of off and boozy, but it's covered up mostly by the spice.

I don't know if I really like this one. Grape and spice is an odd combination for me... I'll probably keep my imp and try it a few more times to see if it grows on me. I don't think this will ever be a bottle purchase though.

Strangelings boyfriend hit the nail on the head when she said it smelled like old peanut butter and jelly sandwich....but this is only out of the vial.

On my skin this smells a lot more pleasant and spicer. Myrrh really comes through on the drydown, however the bubbleicious grape gum scent is still present.

My friend, Mike walked into my office and said "You smell like something grape"

"Yeah, it's this new perfume oil I'm trying out" I then offered my wrist for him to smell.

"Whew, you smell like a Yankee Candle....like I'm gonna light a bitch."

:P

And that sums up Tum. Grape bubblegum with a hint of myrrh, smells sort of like a candle.

I'm not getting any grape.

Wet: Bayberry and cloves

Dry: Cloves, overwhelming cloves and a hint of pine/bayberry. Not a me fragrance at all. I didn't even try it on except the dab that got on my thumb when I opened the imp to sniff it. It doesn't smell like any version of the sun I experience. To me it's earthy, brown and dark green. There are no brilliant oranges, or pinks or even the slivers of purple and blue you see as the sun is setting.

It might make a good christmas potporri fragrance but it's not something I'd wear. Off to swaps.

In the bottle: a wet grapey sweetness

on me: Grape Pez

after a while: grape pez and incense. Smells nummy. oh oh and now I can smell al ittle bit of honey coming through, and it's less pezzy.

I like this one a lot. Sort of reminds me of the scent of the TAL Temple: Egyptian blend, yet much sweeter. Though there is no way I can use Tum for meditation as it smells too much like candy and I would get distracted.

In the bottle:

I wish I could say that this smell wasn't awful, but it just was to me - it smells like rotting grape and oregeno ?

On me:

Despite how awful this is in the vial, it settles into something much different on my skin. On my skin it's a heady, spicey incense smell - I can't pick out anything in particular, just a general incensey sort of smell - like a headshop, only with more spices.

Final note:

I don't think I'm getting enough out of this to properly say one thing or another about it, but so far I can just tell that it doesn't really work on me.

What the F?

I definitely got gipped out of the grape smell...all I smell is rosemary. Like FRESH rosemary pressed between my fingers. So damn herbal and strong like bull.

So far tum stinks in a major way.

Blech.. it's kind of drying, though this oil seems to be pretty thick. It's been about 15 minutes and my arm still has some tum residue on it, refusing to be absorbed. I'm still getting herbal and a little bit of spice.

I don't think tum is going to be a friend of mine. I might give this another try, maybe when my skin isn't so moisturized? I will change my review when I do.

at first: the lab included this as a freebie in my order. sweet, but boozy, too. there's something a bit woody-y in it, too. interesting.

on: warm and dark. very sweet. i can definitely detect the Dimetapp vibe.

half an hour later: still warm.

overall: this is an interesting scent. i can definitely see how it relates to the setting sun.

In the bottle - Lavender - straight up lavender oil.

Wet on me - Lavender with something murky in the background

Dry on me - The grapes do begin to come through, but the lavender still dominates. As others have said, this is a very purple blend, but having read the other reviews I was hoping for more fruit.

Sweet, but with a sharp edge to it. Heh - I almost always say that! I'm still not terribly adept at picking out notes in the bottle.

On: the sweetness fades and it's now spicier, like ginger or peppers. I'm also getting a whiff of smokiness. It's intriguing, but makes my nose itch.

10min: I'm now getting a sour note. It's slightly acidic, almost vinegary. The throw is stll sweet though, like candied fruit.

Dry: It has smoothed out quite a bit - no more itchy nose. The throw is quite nice. I get no grape at all from this, which is fine with me. I love sweet scents, but for some reason find grape just a bit too sweet on me. The drydown is a fresh, light incense - sandalwood and frankincense perhaps.

I got a frimp of this from lab with my order. Sniffing the imp, I detected fruity sweetness. Wet on my skin, it was sparkly light grape, with a fresh herbal undertone, almost a mintiness, though no one else mentioned it so I may be crazy. There is an incensy feel to this, dry, but the grape and herbal notes remain present. I think the incensey part might be myrhh, as overall I would describe this as a sweet blend. Frankincense and the like are almost always acrid, to my nose.

This is nice overall, and a unique blend. I'm glad I got to try it, but it's not really for me due to the grape note.