Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sheelanagig

On base notes, heart notes, top notes

When you're trying to find a BPAL scent similar to, or reminiscent of, a commercial perfume, which notes should you really try to match up? The base notes since they linger? The top notes? The middle notes?

Argh...

It seems like I spend more time in the Recommendations forum than anywhere else! I'm just so clueless!

Thanks! :P

It depends on which stage you like the perfume best.

Do you like the scent straight out of the bottle best? Then focus on the top notes. Do you like the scent the most a few minutes to an hour after application? Then focus on the heart notes. Do you prefer the final scent, hours after application, that you have to get your nose right close to your skin to detect? Then focus on the base notes.

Personally, most of the commercial perfumes that I at all like are due to the base notes, so that is what I zoom in on.

I hope that was helpful! :P

In my opinion, the base and middle notes are easier to match up. Regular perfume top notes are more prominent to me - they stand out more sharply as the scent evaporates. BPAL oils are heavier, more blended, without the same "blast" of higher notes. In other words, more similar to regular perfume that's had time to settle on your skin.

Truthfully, though, there are very few BPALs I've tried that smell like department store fragrances. Except for Venom! It smells almost like a dupe of Poison!

I'll agree with Morrighana -- try to match the stage that you enjoy the most.

My favorite perfume used to be BCBGirls Sexy. I loved the way it smelled when it all wore off and I'd have to stick my wrist up to my nose to smell it -- what was left was all basenotes. I used Sexy's basenotes to plan out my first BPAL order and ending up ordering some warm vanilla/incense scents. :P

Sign in to follow this