Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LiberAmoris

Silkybat Hair Gloss

Sensual sugared patchouli.

Editing my own review placeholder, ha!

Silkybat Hair Gloss is like a patchouli-scented confection as whipped up by some masterful candymaker. The patchouli here isn't the deep, dark oil in some blends, but lighter, less earthy and more airy. In fact, the spray comes out entirely clear—no brown or light brown tint at all to this hair gloss. After applying and blowdrying, the scent in my hair is gently sweet and subtle and refined. Like a patchouli-inflected puff of cotton candy—but better. Totally sexy stuff. Would be fantastic for going out on Halloween, or just a regular Saturday at home. :wub2:

ETA: I now have several backup bottles of this hair gloss, that's how much I love it. It's absolutely stunning, and every time I wear it out, I get compliments.

This is my first hair gloss and it is fantastic! Two pumps in my long hair before drying makes it so shiny and so soft. The patchouli is wonderful, I'm not getting too much sweet from this but it's not a very dark patchouli. It's perfect autumnal perfection. I'm really thinking of another bottle, I'll be using the hair glosses from now on for sure.

This is a wonderful hair gloss (I'm a hair gloss/hair oil addict) that comes out clear, has great slip and does not dry out my very curly, frizzy hair. It is light, not at all greasy and absorbs well into the hair, leaving it shiny and sweetly scented.

The scent itself is amazing. I adore scenting my hair and this is the perfect way to do it. Much like Goblin in the GC of BPAL, this is a sweet patch. It is also, however, a very sexy patchouli. It is, as another put it, more airy and light, but it is still grounded. Definitely not your zany hippie aunt's patchouli, this one is special and fab! I wish it was a permanent selection because I would buy it all the time.

I hesitated on the hair glosses forever since my hair really doesn't like silicone products, but I HAD to get this. The scent does NOT disappoint. aroused.gif Completely and utterly agree that it's like a puff of cotton candy patchouli, sweet but not tooth achingly so, deep but not screaming dirty hippy. It actually reminds me quite strongly of sweet incense blends like All Souls and Midnight on the Midway.

As for the actual effect on the hair, it does add a nice sheen but I don't find it particularly moisturizing. I flipped my head over and did 4 spritzes in my dry hair, and within a few hours my hair has eaten up the moisture along with most of the scent. My shoulder blade-length curls are thick and course though, and coupled with the dry California air they're always crying for more moisture. I was primarily worried about the 'cones drying out and frizzing my hair, and I'm happy and relieved to report that hasn't happened. Can't say my wallet is relieved though. 00000288.gif

I dare say if your budget only allows for just one item from this year's TP Weenies, GET THIS. If it was a regular blend I'd be hoarding like mad. Despite the 6 month shelf life I may just get another bottle. If Silkybat made it's way into the TP GC collection there'd be a LOT of happy campers I bet...I sure would be one. wub2.gif

I would like to say, I am not a HG addict. I can stop anytime I want. I don't think six or seven is a Lot of HG...

OK back to critique, if I was a HG addict, which I am not, this would not be helping. Gah, this is so very good.

I spray like eight to ten full spritzes on my hair, about six on child heads.

so good...get some, you need it...

This is going to sound overly dramatic, but smelling this hair gloss literally brings tears to my eyes. I swear....you (YES YOU!! (and by YOU I mean everybody)) must buy this hair gloss. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars. Just buy this gloss. It.is.amazing. (and I hate when people don't put spaces between their words) Srsly. Patchouli lovers...this is like no other patchouli you have ever smelled in your life. This is like liquid patchouli JOY. It is beautiful and so so different than anything I have ever smelled before. :wub2:

Patchouli haters...please, do yourself a favor and just try a smidge of this, you'll be ever so glad you did.

I mean it...this scent is too good for words. As far as Banshee Beat/Patch-Amber comparisons? I can't compare them. The patch-amber hair gloss is down and dirty patchouli and amber and oh so sexy. Banshee Beat? it actually gives me a headache and I can't wear it :( This?? this is totally different...almost a clean patchouli if such a thing exists. Please, just buy it, it's awesome (and the word awesome doesn't even come close to how good this is). :thud:

Edited by ladyjc

I am rather particular about what goes in my hair. It's long and I do a lot to take excellent care of it to make up for all the color processing I do to it. But when I saw that there was a *sugared* patchouli, I knew, I just KNEW that I needed a bottle. And Silkybat Hair Gloss does NOT disappoint.

I've tried three "sugared" scents from the Lab prior to this: Faith, Hope and TKO. All are amazing and I love them all. This right here? This sugared , glorious patchouli? It fits RIGHT in.

(side note- Beth, Puddin, please PLEASE make this a perfume at some future date? Please? Pretty pretty please? KTHNXBYE)

Anyhoo, I just put two or three spritzes into my dry hair just to test it out. The scent is fanTAStic. Sweet without being cloying and the patchouli is not the dirty-hippie variety but a deep, sweet resinous type- smooth, classy and sexy all the way. My hair feels less frizzy and I am very much looking forward to doing a full and proper application. If it goes as well as I anticipate, this may be the second ever item I begin hoarding from the Trading Post (Cathouse atom spray being the other, natch.)

Do not be afraid, this is a patchouli that is made of pure love for one and all. :wub2:

How have I not reviewed this yet?! It's my new favourite Trading Post thing. The first hair gloss I've tried, and I'm hooked. I've used it every day since I got it, seriously. :wub2: It's sugary, sexy patch and it's perfect, 'nough said. I've been layering it with my Hypnotic Poison and my boyfriend's eyes literally bugged out when he first smelled me and said I "smell SO GOOD :eek:". Hehe!

This smells like Spun Sugar Spectre Bath Oil, but with a drop or two of patchouli. The patchouli is soooo mild here. That said, I do like it. But this is not at all what I had in mind. I havent tried the Patch and Amber HG, so cant compare to that.. but I honestly hardly smell any patchouli here.

I'm going to let me bottle settle a bit and retest tomorrow.

Okay. I see it now. Everyone was right. This is THE shit. The patchouli was super light right from the bottle, and it still is a bit lighter than I was expecting.. but it is a lot stronger than from my initial impression. ... Which may have been skewed by the huffing of some Tricksy earlier in the day.. or maybe skewed by testing straight from the mailbox. IDK. But now, it smells light yet rich, and delicious. :wub2:

Edited by Mellifluous

This stuff is amazing. It smells delicious. My friends dislike my "dirty hippy smells", but I feel they'll be hard-pressed to object to this one! I went to get my flu shot today and the nurse said "You smell gooood! Is that patchouli? Is it pure patchouli or is there something else?". I said I wasn't sure because the only thing I could think to say was "em...sugar?" :lol: Might have to buy another bottle before it goes bye-bye. But first it needs boyfriend approval... ;)

Edited for spelling guhh

Edited by littlesparrow

Huh. I forgot I'd already reviewed this. Well, here's a more thorough review:

In bottle (sniffing pump nozzle): patchouli, patchouli all day long. The dirty-sharp smell of new patch. Maybe a tiny bit of sugar?

Sprayed on damp hair and sprayed into hands and run through hair): sweet patch. This is when the sweetness is most apparent. There's some kind of lemony note in there too.

Wear: This is not at all as strong as expected. If I flip my hair I can smell woody, fresh patch. It's kind of hard to hard to pick out the "sweet" in here. Whatever that lemony note was, it's gone now.

Dry hair: all but gone. I catch the barest whiff when I turn my head but it's so faint. Maybe it's because I sprayed it on wet/damp hair. I use argan oil in my hair on a regular basis and always put it in when my hair is still damp. (I'm not applying that for the scent, but it does smell good - bonus!) Or maybe I didn't use enough. I did 2 direct sprays (scalp and ends) and a total of three sprays into my hands and ran them through my hair. I was about to go to work though and didn't want suffocate those around me with a cloud of parchouli. :P

I'm not going to give up on it. I'll do another test on dry hair and besides, this is just going to get better with age. The patchouli will get rounder and less dirty-sharp (new patch smell isn't bad but aged patch is better and richer.. This will be a good base or accent to other scents too.

Edited by unlaced

This stuff is AMAZING. The patchouli is incredibly mild and I just can't pin down the sugar parts. I have to spray a lot on to really get a good throw from it, but luckily it's not too heavy to weigh down my hair (which is fine and oily). Later in the day it has a light creamy sweetness to it, but if I'm going out I usually spritz on some more. It may be the best smelling stuff I've ever sniffed from the lab or anywhere. Wow. :wub2:

I am a confirmed Snake Oil HG whore, but may I just say:

:wub2: Silkybat is made of win and awesome. :wub2:

I can't wear sugared scents on my skin because they turn into "I've been barfed on" scents, but in my hair? Oh, yes. Sweet baby Jesus, my hair smells pretty. And with the patchouli? Whaaaaaaaaaat!

As with all the BPTP glosses, my hair looks great and is shiny and behaves. Two spritzes in palms, applied to dry hair, yadda yadda.

I love patchouli (most of the time), but the 'sugared' part does something really interesting with the patch here. It's light, sweet, and just smells...really fucking good. My husband loves it. I love it. I really will need multiple bottles of this, shelf life be damned.

Please don't tell my Snake Oil.

Edited by OctoberGwen

This is going to be a rare situation where I get a different result than OctoberGwen. I adore the Amber & Patchouli hair gloss and had high hopes for Silkybat. At first spray on wet hair, I detect the same sugared notes that are in Spun Sugar Spectre bath oil, minus the caramel. Very sweet and sugary, and where the hell is the patchouli? It finally appeared while blow drying, and is a mild and almost sweet patchouli too. After styling my hair I gave a final mist on the ends. This is where it all goes wrong. This turns into a sharp white scent that shoots straight up into my sinuses in a bad way. Damn you, Silkybat. You and I were supposed to have a grand time together, like those pictures of adorable baby bats in blankets. Instead, you are the sad bat with white - nose syndrome and you're breaking my heart. mecry.gif

edited to update after a couple of weeks of aging: I have finally caved in to the Silkybat love. It's still very sugary first, with a soft patchouli to follow and yes, I can smell Spun Sugar Spectre, but the patchouli has finally become more melded into the overall scent. This is a very wearable scent and I have received multiple compliments about how good I smell on days when I am ONLY wearing Silkybat in my hair! How can one resist that! 00000288.gif Seriously, this is also a very long-lasting scent in my hair, and it is the patchouli that grounds it and stays in my hair. I bought two full bottles to have on hand after I use up my two decant bottles! icon_eek.gif

Edited by Poenari

Gorgeous soft patchouli and a sugar note that wavers between caramelized white sugar and a hint of maple syrup. I smell DELICIOUS.

I may need a back-up of this.

like poenari, this is breaking my heart. it smells like super-sharp, super-masculine patchouli (i am usually a patchouli LOVER but this smells like hippies and BO to me) and LEMON. not sugary lemon, just straight citrusy lemon juice. :cry:

of note: it is shark week for me, so i will try this again early next week and see what happens. i am HOPING my nose chemistry is just a little off due to hormones. :cry:

Edited by joyfulgirl

Again, I have to echo how EFFING amazing this hair gloss is. Sugary patchouli.

Oddly enough, it reminds me to Badgers.

BUT FOR YOUR HAIR.

LOVE!

This is a very original and very different sort of patchouli - not at all what I was anticipating and the best possible way. I knew I wanted one complete set out of the three Hallowenches available and because of the subtle Elizabeth Bathory conotation (Bloodbath bath oil, hello?) Callidora and her associated scent and products were my choice. I was happy with the notes for the perfume oil and the bath oil but unsure about the hair gloss as it seemed too simple. How wrong I was. Silkybat is not terribly complex but don't be fooled into thinking that it is 'just a patchouli hair gloss'. It really isn't. If anything, the 'sugared' note is more dominant than the patch and the overall sweetness and lusciousness of the scent is very becoming and wonderfully surprising. It is a struggle not to slather my hair in this stuff because when I spray a few squirts into my palm, I just want to keep spraying and rub it all over myself, skin and all. If there was a perfume oil of this, I would buy it greedily. It is not my favourite of all the hair glosses that have been offered but it is in my top three without a doubt.

10/10

Edited to say -- I've just looked over some of the other reviews and I have to say I agree totally with the comparison to both the Amber/Patch hair gloss and the Spun Sugar Spectre bath oil. it's like a sexy lovechild of the two.

Edited by cherrycherry

Yes I wish there was not a six mo.expiration date I could hoard a handful of bottles.

This is so damn good. I was digging Shiny Furball in all it's cedar glory, and now Silkybat

has stolen my heart. This is hands down one of my favorite scents now. A sexy, sweet mellow patchouli , with a sugary candied lemon peel essence in the background. It's not a lemon pledge type lemon it's a smooth sweet non offensive gentle lemon. I don't know why i'm getting this lemon/citrus feel but

it just works beautifully. It makes my hair feel so soft, and shiny.

I would die if this were made into a perfume oil. Simply fabulous!

Puddin please, please keep this as a regular item :)

Edited by Rshields

I got an empty bottle from a decant circle, with just enough oil in the bottom for several uses.

Let me start by saying I have a love/hate relationship with patchouli. I really- stubbornly- want to like patchouli, but often it is harsh or masculine or acrid on me.

Back in the day, I got a decant of the Amber and Patchouli HG but it would just never jive with me. The usual patchouli problem.

This hair gloss?

This is fucking amazing.

The sugar note here tempers the patchouli so well, it's hard to pinpoint this as patchouli once it's in your hair. Upon first applying, the patchouli is snarling and loud but within moments the sugar comes along, gives the patchouli a pat on the head, and it all settles down into a beautiful cloud of sugared earth. Which is not to say that this patchouli smells of dirt, but simply that it retains it's woody roots. This is the greatest blend of warm sugar and earthy patchouli. Not too much of either.

I wanted to buy bottles of all three Hallowenches hair gloss.... but all my money might end up going to this!

I haven't been able to get Silkybat off my mind since I got my decant. It's oddly compelling. I don't actually love it when I'm spraying it on -- it has a weirdly dirty, dusty smell and then I get a whiff of something oddly lemony, like Lemon Pledge, which is gone almost as quickly as it arrives. BUT THEN! It settles down into something quite gentle and softly smoky. If I press my hair to my nose I can't quite smell it, but when I least expect it I will get a waft of it when I move. It smells like I burned some sugared patchouli incense a few hours ago and a bit has clung to my hair. I'm sure I could lay it on very thick and get it to throw all over the place, but I really like that it doesn't do that on its own, makes it something I can wear daily instead of just when I want to blast something sensual and resinous.

Yes to the Spun Sugar Spectre comparison. This is that plus a bit of patchouli. Which is awesome, because I love spun sugar.

I will be getting a bottle of this for sure.

When I first opened my decant I thought 'oh not, this smells like Sugar Skull', one of my most disliked bpal ever. I tried again, and it didn't smell like it, so I'm happy about that. Kind of a sweet, smooth patch, like Banshee Beat in a way, and would layer very nicely with it and other patch heavy blends. This seems lighter than Amber and Patchouli HG, another favourite of mine. I do like this, and may pick up a bottle in the New Year if it is still up.

I finally caved and did a few sprays in my hair today.

Silkybat is startingly good. I expected it to be at least decent from the love it's been getting in the BPTP threads but I didn't expect it to work out this well on me. The maple-syrup like sugar really balances the patchouli, and it ends up smelling amazing.

I don't think there would have been many people more excited than me when Siilkybat Hair Gloss was announced. Sensual? Sugared? Patchouli? Oh yes, I thought... OH YESSSSSS. I ordered two bottles without a moment's hesitation.

But I have to say... oh no. OH, NO. Just no. For me, Silkybat is all just so wrong, and I'm very disappointed :thud:

First up - the patchouli here is not rich and warm and earthy - it's light, but sharp. Whatever the 'sugar' is, it's not mixing well with the patchouli at all - not to my nose - and overall this smells like one of those spray cleaners you use on your kitchen bench. I wouldn't really say it's 'sweet' - it smells like dry, dusty candy that's gone a bit off, and that's just a bad, bad match with the sharpness of the patchouli. I'm happy with its performance as a hair gloss - in that regard, it's just as good as all the other HGs from the Trading Post that I've tried so far - but... oh, the smell. I was hoping for a more sensual, sweet and rich version of Amber and Patchouli HG, which I lovelovelove, but... no. To me, Silkybat is not anything like the A&P gloss with its beautiful dusky amber and snuggly patchouli.

So I do believe I'm the first reviewer to not love this, but there you have it. For the record.. I got mine from the second batch - following the backorder from the initial orders. So perhaps there was a batch variation? I dunno, but I'm definitely not gettiing all the sexy sugared patchouli goodness that everyone else is talking about :( I don't know what I'm going to do with these two bottles, but I really can't see myself wearing this. I just don't dig walking around in a cloud of Ajax Spray n'Wipe.