Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Balefire Atmosphere Spray

A crack in the door to the underworld: blackened leaves, woodsmoke and flame, dusty mullein, and apple bark against a backdrop of sepulchral myrrh.

This smells very much like the October family of fragrances or Autumn Grove, but what a difference a little time to evolve provides! The smoke comes creeping up to the forefront and surprises you with a bit of a scorch, and the apple is not overpowering but does lend a tiny touch of autumnal fruit. It's very environmental and evocative. The myrrh is not strong, but this is a moody, sultry autumn spritz. Want more!

The leaves in this scent are the same ones as in Knock-A-Dolly. This is a darker, smokier version of it, in fact, and very autumnal. I really like this a lot!

I get leaves, bonfire smoke and apple cider..slightly powdery..it's Autumn in a bottle and I love it.

I agree with the comparison to October. This is like October's slightly lighter, smokier, woodsier companion. I feel like I'm sitting in a cabin somewhere with a roaring fire and a nice blanket of fallen leaves. Absolutely beautiful.

Edited to add: This took three days to completely leave the area I sprayed it in. Given that I run a total of four HePA + UVC airfilters in my 1200 sq ft home at all times (for my asthmatic kid,) this is quite the staying power. I attribute it to the oils landing and clinging somewhere.

Edited by ladymeag

Disclaimer: I have no idea what mullein smells like http://www.bpal.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/00000288.gif

This is certainly similar to the October, and the leaves of "A World Where There Are Octobers".

In the spritzer: I can detect the smoke and apple bark most prominently. This is beautifully autumnal.

When first spritzed: Leaves!! To me these are not blackened, scorched leaves, but dried leaves that have maybe sat in some recent rain.

Settling: Sweet, sweet myrrh with a backdrop of leaves. I think the smoke and scorched quality is registering too much with the leafy goodness to distinguish itself separately, and the apple bark (once apparent in the bottle) is no longer free-standing. Very well blended.

Overall, surprisingly beautiful. There is a richness and fullness of scent here that, to me, goes against the description of such dry smells (smoke, blackened leaves, dusty mullein, bark)-- and I love it. I was a liiittle worried that this blend would be too harsh in its evocation of a darkness and the underworld, but it's really quite lovely. I wouldn't hesitate to use this anywhere in the house.

This is very much a myrrh and smoke scent to me and I love it. It is very dark and dusty, with a little kick from what I can only assume is the apple bark. This is not at all a light scent to me, and while it is really fitting for the description, is not at all earthy or 'natural' smelling. To me, it really feels like perfume, rather than some of Beth's other leaf or dirt notes. I think this is because the myrrh comes out really strongly for me.

It is the darker, smokier cousin to my beloved Templum Victoriae and I am in love.

When sprayed onto a paper towel, the apple note is the first that I notice, but it's like a top note that is quickly overtaken by the rest of the notes muddling into some kind of smoky goodness, as though I'm standing in the middle of an ancient apple orchard, damp leaves underfoot, and over in the next field there's the smouldering remains of a bonfire from the night, a light smoke drifting into the orchard.

The moment I saw this in the Halloweenie update for the Post, I knew that I would :wub2: it, and I do. If this could be a bath oil or perfume for a future Halloween, with some more apple as the fruit in it (a ripe juicy red apple), I'd have to bathe in gallons. ;) As it is, I'll treasure my bottle. :)

Wow- this is one of the most beautiful atmosphere sprays that I've ever had the pleasure of using. I get the lovely leaf note from Harvest Moon 2013 (smells like real honeysuckle to me and quite possibly is my favorite smell on the planet) with dry apple, myrrh, and sweet smoke. It's definitely moody, but there's also a really lovely lightness to it. I will use this spray year round, especially during the cooler rainy days here that happen so often in the NW.

balefire is the perfect autumnal atmosphere spray. it smells like wood and burning leaves and gorgeousness! i will be using it a lot this fall to set the mood for the season.

This smells very autumnal - I get leaves, smoke, a tinge of apple and a base of myrrh. It smells very Fall like, and makes me want sunny, chilly days with leaves crunching underfoot as you pick a basket of apples.

And maybe drink some apple cider.

The first thing that pops out to me with this spray is the myrrh followed by the leaves and smoke. It is a beautiful scent and I've been using it all winter. Its also pretty strong and long lasting. It is my first and only atmo so I can't really compare the longevity to any other scent.