Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Patchouli, aquilaria aguillocha, and Manuka honey.

I received my bottle yesterday (9 Oct 2013), and could NOT stop sniffing. I suspect it may take a day or two to properly settle, as in the bottle it's straight up patchouli. Oodles and oodles of patchouli, lots of woodsy, resiny goodness.

Despite knowing better, I opted to wear it today. Initial impression, given that the patchouli is so strong, is that a little bit goes a LONG way. I was right. For those of you used to using liberal amounts of bath oil, be very conservative with the perfume oil.

Applied, wet: yup. Straight up patchouli. I even rolled the bottle a few times before using a clean toothpick to dip into the bottle and apply. Normally, I'll do a couple of dips with a clean toothpick to apply. Not with Tricksy! One dip is all it needs, and then you're wishing you were running through the woods, in silvery moonlight, branches brushing by your fur, wind in your face, chasing after Sylvia.

Drying: The honey starts to peek out of the patchouli, almost as a base. It's there, but there's so much resiny goodness the honey really only sweetens the woodsy smell by a tad. But it's enough.

Overall? Patchouli lovers will LOVE this. This is a smilar patchouli to #occupywallstreet, but not as "dirty hippy" -- more feral, more ferocious. I've only had it on a couple of hours - a tiny dip applied to both wrists & my neck - but I've a good feeling it'll stay with me most of the day. So far, no problem with allergies, which happens from time to time with patchouli (I'm looking at you, IBT!).

Now, off to chase a deer through the forest!

ETA: several hours later, most of the patchouli has dissipated, and I'm getting just a hint of sweet, floral honey. Delicious, glorious honey. I no longer want to chase deer through the forest - I want to lick my arm. Nom!

The patchouli in this reminds me very much of Banshee Beat. Unfortunately for me, without the creamy vanilla of Banshee Beat, this isn't balanced enough for my patchouli-amping skin.

In the bottle: Sweet patchouli

On the skin: A dirty, sexy, rooty patchouli with a little sweetness. Honey notes usually go very powdery on me and this one somehow doesn't but it doesn't quite sweeten up the patchouli enough for my liking. This would be wonderful on someone that either didn't amp patchouli or did amp the other notes.

Banshee Beat and patchouli lovers, rejoice - and buy back up bottles. :lol:

EDITED TO ADD: Holy smokes, y'all. :eek: The next day and two showers later? I'm still wearing this. I'm not a slathering kind of person (unless it's Antikythera Mechanism :lol: ) and only tested this with a single, careful touch of a clean glass wand. Staying power, this has it.

Edited by ladymeag

Tricksy is a really good variation on the patchouli note. The honey is very much there but not super sweet. More husky smelling. And the aloeswood gives a nice undertone to the whole thing. I cannot really describe it because every time I sniff I get something a little different. Love this. It will go in heavy rotation with Goblin, #OWS, Malediction and the black and red patchouli single notes I have :heart:

Omg, this is awesome! I have tricksy bathoil, which comes across more woodsy patchouli with the undertone of sweet honey - the perfume though is actually quite different to my nose (though aging could be a factor?) there is almost a floral undertone to the honey in this - and fear not, the patchouli isn't over the top at all. This is stunning! It's right up there with the Illustrated woman in terms of comforting patchouli and honey with just a little something extra

This is really good stuff people.

It has that punch that I find very "BPAL" like Urd, or Snake Oil, it's STRONG and rich and lush.

That said, at the end of the day, it's boy juice.

I really like it and think it's very BPAL, but too boy for me.

Edited by stellamaris

I am the kind of geek that needs to immediately look up words I don't know, such as "aquilaria aguillocha". I was instantly pleased to discover it belonged to the Aloeswood family, as I generally like the smell of aloes and was curious to see what it would do in combination with other loves, patchouli and honey. Let's have a sniff, shall we? :D

In The Bottle: Definitely the same patchouli note in the companion hair gloss, Silkybat. Which I LOVE. I'm also getting a tiny hint of lemon in the background, almost like an afterthought (after smell?) but interestingly, they don't seem to clash.

Wet On Skin: In Tiki King, the ironwood note smelled like a lemony sandalwood- sort of. This has a similar vibe. The patch is absolutely holding it's own and it's a lovely interplay between the two. At this point, there has still be no hide nor hare of the honey, by the way. This is all woods, roots and resins.

Dry Down: The patchouli has shifted and become a little closer to it's pure roots-y, leafy state. Not to say that this id dirty-hippie patchouli- it's not. It's refined, but also definitely earthy. I could slather this! :lol:

In All: Surprisingly low throw- my skin is eating the scent rather quickly: my joke about slathering may very well prove to be necessity. This scent is lovely for the transition from late Autumn into early Winter- I anticipate wearing this a lot between now and the end of the year. Given the richness of the two dominating notes, I also anticipate this to age quite well. By the time I re-visit *next* fall I imagine it to be something like liquid gold. Bottle worthy! :wub2:

In bottle: Dark, thick, earthy patchouli dominant with strong agarwood support, very mildly sweetened with honey. Wet: More nuance on the skin as the agarwood comes out and the patchouli dramatically softens so that they switch places. The honey grows a touch more assertive. I was not sanguine when I smelled it in the bottle, but I like it more now. Dry: Fast fading to soft agarwood and a touch of patchouli.

O TRICKSY HOW I LOVE THEE!

I fell in love with the original iteration of this, the bath oil, as soon as I pulled it out of Em-'s Bath & Body swap box last year. The patchouli was the mellow sort that I love (stick-in-your-throat 'filthy' varieties like the ones found in Depraved or #occupywallstreet kind of disgust me, to be honest), and there is a slightly sweet, woodsy quality in Tricksy that is just delicious. I am not a honey fan, in general, but this particular honey is not cloying at all, and in fact it doesn't even scream "honey" to my nose. I use my bath oil as an aftershower moisturizer almost daily, and it layers beautifully with about 75% of my BPAL.

Tricksy the perfume oil smells just as luscious, and it is also slightly more concentrated. Anyone who loves patchouli will almost certainly love it.

I cannot even tell you how thrilled I am to have this. Thank you so much, Puddin' and Beth, for making this happen. :heart:

Let the hoarding commence!

Woodsy patchouli and a swirl of honey.

This is essentially a very pretty patchouli. If you're a patch lover, you should be into this.

In some ways, this smells like a more patchy version of Badgers.

I'm so sad. :( Honey is just one of those notes that, no matter what else is there that I love, it dominates and turns to funk.

Yup. Dammit. Also, I don't get a nice Patchouli from this at all (I smell a sharp Black sort of Patchouli under the honey madness)...maybe it's the other notes that are not playing nicely on my skin. Oh well, I had to try the perfume oil version (the bath oil was underwhelming too, unfortunately) and now that I have tried it (and washed it off after 20 minutes) it will hopefully go to a loving home. :( Alas, Tricksy, you and me were not meant to be. This doesn't remind me of Banshee Beat (which I love) or any other Patchouli masterpiece...it's a shame. I'm glad everyone else seems to love it! :)

ETA: I'm sure anyone who knows me at all knows that I am one of the Patchouli lovers here...I have well over 70 different blends (mostly not BPAL) with Patchouli as the feature which is why I'm so disappointed about this...I really wanted it to be good...I guess BPAL Patchoulis are hit or miss with me, and this is a miss. Its not just the honey.

Edited by Herb Girl

I am one of the major Tricksy Bath Oil hoarders, so I was unbelievably excited to see Tricksy released as a perfume. I immediately ordered two bottles, and we'll have to see how many more I neeeed before it comes down. This is actually sweeter and a little milder than the bath oil, which I use as an after-shower moisturizer. On skin, the honey comes out more in the perfume than in the bath oil. This is absolutely lovely, and if you are a patchouli lover, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, but spend that $200.00 on Tricksy!

Now if only we could convince the Puddin' to make the bath oil and perfume GC. icon_biggrin.gif

Definitely a cleaner patchouli...I don't get honey (luckily), but just a very very faint sweetness..if at all. To me it has the feel of Grave Pig without the fig. My skin eats it up pretty quickly so I slather it on :D

Tricksy is all about the aquilaria aguillocha, otherwise known as oud, slightly sweetened by gentle, musky, dark, crystalized honey. The patchouli is smooth but secondary. It's a very linear scent, close to the skin, earthy and...kinda skanky. :twisted: It's the most wearable oud scent I have; I appreciate that it's not medicinal-many ouds smell like band aids to me. It's a deep, damp, woody scent that stays close to the skin.

I hope it goes GC, too!

Edited by lookingglass

Sadly Tricksy played a trick on me and doesn't like my nose or skin chemistry.

The "aquilaria aguillocha" component is not agreeing with me at all and is turning into

"rubber tires", a hint of body odor and something rancid. The only oud based scent I have had luck with is Tom Ford Oud Wood. Farewell Tricksy I wanted to love you. :(

Edited by Rshields

In the bottle: Yes, there's that earthy patch. :)

Wet: Patch now being tempered by not-too-sweet honey and oud. :)

The dry-down: Very much like if one took a SN Patchouli, and then added a bit of honey (not very sweet), and then rubbed some oud on top. :) I like it better than the bath oil. I only have the half-bottle and am debating on a full one.

Received two imps in two separate decant circles (to be safe). I was intrigued to try this based on the slavish adoration of it on the boards but also went in, eyes open, that it might not work for me.

IN THE IMP: All patchouli.

Dabbed on one wrist and in the crook of that arm (while test driving Callidora on the other arm).

WET: Ohhhhhh. Okay. I get it. I do get why people who love it don't just love it but loooooove it. The sweet honey offsets the sharp patchouli like yin and yang to create a completely new scent and, really, a completely new category.

DRYDOWN: I don't not like it but it's ... odd. Very masculine to me, despite the sweet honey. Male, yet slightly fruity and nutty (hey, just like me!). It reminds me a lot of a cologne my dad used to wear, whose name has been lost to the decades but which is very pleasantly evocative of my childhood.

LATER DRYDOWN: The fruity, the nutty, the sweetness all go away and end up in just a very smoky haze.

OVERALL: I love the scent but I wouldn't wear it. I think I would buy this is there was a Tricksy candle, though.

On a scale of 1-5, a 3.

Another horror on my skin! Patchouli, old leather shoe, and musty honey. From wet to dry down. MUST WASH OFF NOW!!!!! :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack:

Deeper than the bath oil. Smooth, slightly sweetened patchouli. I really like this, though I find it too masculine to wear out in public, and I tend not to wear patch heavy blends anyways unless I'm at home. I definitely will wear this one, though, at home, and as my poor Tricksy bath oil seems to be getting slightly funky now for some reason.

This scent makes me think of honey bees swimming in patchouli! Not sure how that would work but that's the image I get! :wub2:

UPDATE: Sadly Tricksy has gone off badly for me twice. Not sure why but it starts ok then when I wear again it goes bad. I just have to give up and realize we won't get along, lol. :(

Edited by vanilla323

I bought a bottle of Tricksy unsniffed because I didn't realize Aquilaria Aguilocha is Oud. I have a love/hate relationship with Oud. Love the way it smells in the bottle, but as soon as it hits my skin Oud morphs into something unpleasant.

If I had done my research I wouldn't have bought a bottle.

Well, this ended up being a Happy Accident (to use one of Bob Ross's favorite phrases). This Oud works! :joy:

Tricksy morphs into a clean, honeyed Patch with Oud swirling around. I am loving this. I must say, without the honey this might be a super masculine scent so I'm glad for the honey that makes it more unisex. :D

If you love patchouli, and I love patchouli, you will love Tricksy.

This is a similar patchouli to the one in #occupywallstreet. There's a bit of honey in there to sweeten it up but not very much and it is mostly dirty aggressive patchouli. I don't know what aquaria agallocha smells like (a quidk google search tells me that it is agarwood or oud??) but what I am mostly getting here is PATCHOULIIIIIII.

There might be something a little powdery on the dry-down that softens things up a bit but still I don't really know what to say about this besides RAAAAHHRRR PATCHOULIIIIII!!!!! which is basically what it smells like to me, in a good way!

Dirty, hippie patchouli! If #OCCUPYWALLSTREET was too strong for you, well, this is just slightly less strong. It's definitely as strong as Urd, another bold in-your-face patch blend that I adore. Dark, woodsy, earthy. After a few minutes, just a hint of warm, syrupy honey creeps in. I haven't tried Banshee Beat for comparison, nor have I tried Tricksy bath oil. I'll just say, I love this madly. Such good stuff.

Tricksy is such a great combination of woods, patchouli, and honey! This also feels BPAL-classic to me and I'm so glad I snagged a bottle when it released. The honey is especially good here—Manuka honey is very distinctive, and maybe a bit of an acquired taste. It doesn't taste as sweet as other honeys to me somehow, and has a slightly herbaceous/astringent facet to it. But I've really grown to love it, so having it in Tricksy makes me very happy.

How is it that I haven't reviewed this yet?

I also am one of the hoarders of the Tricksy bath oil. And shortly before this went live, I had to throw away over half of my bath oil collection because it went off. (since then I've had to throw away another bottle and a half that turned too.)

So, I was thrilled when this came out. But as wonderful as it is, its not the same as the bath oil. This one is sweeter, I can really smell the honey in it. I normally am a huge honey amper-it turns almost rancid smelling on me. This one doesn't. Its a nice honey. Overall, this is similar to the bath oil, but lighter/sweeter. Its not as dirty of a scent on me as the bath oil. More civilized.

I much prefer the bath oil version, but I'm glad I have this as a substitute, especially with so many of my bottles of the bath oil turning bad. I'm not sure I need quite as many bottles of it as I bought, but it should age very nicely. :D

I liked the scent of the Tricksy bath oil, but the bath oils started irritating my skin a lot, so I'm happy to have this in perfume form. It reminds me of the patchouli in Goblin, which is like a mix of gritty patch and resinous, sticky patchouli, sweetened with a vanilla-creamy type honey. Sensual, and always makes me think of autumn and Halloween time. It's a perfect fall patchouli