Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o'-lantern
With terrible teeth
And the children know I am fooling.
- Carl Sandburg

Ghost songs and love to the harvest moon: fresh pumpkins warmed by candlelight and aglow with Halloween joy.

Pumpkin and beeswax. For me, a confessed pumpkinphile, this was a no-brainer.

:thud:

Before I start-- no raw pumpkin guts! It's a creamy, delicious baked pumpkin note with just a hint of spice, less than I find to be in Jack or Pumpkin Latte. Wet, it's all that lightly spiced pumpkin, which is delicious enough on its own, yes. But then the magic happens. The beeswax flickers to life and the more it dries down, the more it "glows" in an olfactory sense. The beeswax note most definitely brings to mind beeswax candles with that honeyed undertone, though not actual foody honey. When I was a kid I would just sit there and huff beeswax candles for that reason but that's besides the point. The way that it mingles with the pumpkin into yellow-orange bliss makes it a comfort scent like no other. Mind my synaesthesia but it truly is a scent on the orange side of yellow, warm and welcoming like the candlelit smile of a jack-o-lantern on a crisp October night. Like those candles way back when, I just keep huffing.

In the bottle: Overwhelmingly foodie, oh dear. Very buttery pumpkin.

Wet: Foodie honey-candy pumpkin with a bit of spice to it. If you like foodie, this is definitely super super foodie to my nose (and my fella's) which is sadly what I was hoping it wouldn't be. This has a HUGE throw on me!

Dry: Sweet honey, beeswax and pumpkin. Not unpleasant, but definitely NOT a scent I will need a backup for.

THEME IN YELLOW

Oh, this is soooooo evocative. :wub2:

This is fresh pumpkin: the clean inside rind and flesh after all the gooey guts and seeds have been scooped out; and warm, glowing beeswax. There is a hint of something sweet (the Halloween joy, perhaps?), but this is not foody to my nose - no baked or sugary/spicy pumpkin here; no craft store pumpkin, either.

This is a jack-o-lantern that has just been lit, and it's pure October magic.

I love this so much.

ETA: I just wanted to add that putting a few drops of this in an oil burner with some water created the most wonderful thing: a kitchen which smelled of glowing Jack O'Lanterns. I absolutely love this in the burner, and will probably pick up another bottle so that I can use it for just this purpose.

Also, when I accidentally let the water evaporate, I could actually smell charred pumpkin flesh - like when the candle is too close to the lid on the Jack O'Lantern.

Completely awesome. Beth, thank you so much for this scent. Now I can experience what, to me, embodies the spirit of Hallowe'en whenever I want to. :hug:

Edited by OctoberGwen

BEAUTIFUL. Fleshy pumpkin, raw and pulpy and only slightly sweet, warmed with the soft (not overpowering, as it sometimes has been for me) scent of beeswax. I agree that there is something else going on here, but I can't put my finger on what. It almost smells like a sweet milk, but that could just be the way the notes are playing with my skin. It's oh so simple, and utterly beautiful for it. Like OctoberGwen said, it's October magic.

I will need backups. :wub2:

In the bottle it does smell overwhelmingly foody, almost just like pumpkin 5 or pumpkin latte. On my skin it started rather sharp, like a bright warm pumpkin. As it dried, then it became quite glowing and the playdough like wax scent came through. It definitely has a sweet/burnt scent in there too--kind of like a caramel or sweet milk scent. It is very evocative of a jack o lantern with a wax candle burning inside, but I'm not sure I'd really wear this. Could be an excellent room scent though!

I have no idea how Beth does this....but she captured the scent of a fleshy, fresh carved jack o'lantern with the scent of warm, candlewax, beeswax I think and with a tinge of smoke from the freshly lit wick of the candle. In one drop on my arm, Beth you have captured one of my favorite times of year with my Dad....carving the pumpkin and lighting it and putting it on the front porch. Thank you so much for this. These memories are more precious to me than you will ever know. :wub2:

Starts off as a very mellow honeyed pumpkin minus the oft-paired spices, but unfortunately turns to plastic as the blend dries and beeswax takes over. It was quite pleasant while it lasted though, and for once the BPAL pumpkin note didn't go poof within 5 minutes. As I'm desperately hoping this year for a BPAL pumpkin blend that works on my skin (I LURV the smell of pumpkin but the Lab's pumpkin note doesn't tend to love me back) I'll revisit my decant before the Weenies come down.

EDIT: All hints of plastic are gone, and now the blend is a warm, mellow honeyed pumpkin. aroused.gif This one's a winner!

Edited by thatbrownelf

Theme in Yellow smells like this - freshly carved pumpkins lit by beeswax candles and a hint of smoke. The pumpkin is neither buttery nor spiced, the beeswax is honey-sweet, and the smoke is just a hint in the background.

The throw is moderate-to-light and the wearlength seems about average.

In the imp, this is yummy, yummy pumpkin, with smoky and spicy hints. Mmm.

Wet on my skin, this is happy, lightly foody pumpkin. Definitely a joyus pumpkin scent, but more subtle than with Ooky, and more glowing than woo, in your face.

As it dries, I detect a honeyed beeswax sort of smell that is absolutely lovely. There is a hint of spice there, too, but it is mellowed by the beeswax, and becomes almost buttery, but not that type of buttery that freaks out on my skin and goes "off".

In the end, it's a close to the skin mellowed, sweet pumpkin, and it's very pretty.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

First off...cute label!!

Sniff from bottle: Yep...buttery raw pumpkin with a hint of spices.

On Skin: Uh oh...buttery note leaves and I have a raw pumpkin left, and not in a good way. It goes real funky on me. A little plastic-y and...florally?? What the??

Drydown: Still not good...no spices, no foodie-ness for me, just....odd. Some note in here doesn't like me.

Hours later: It gets nice...there are the spices, but can't wait that long to enjoy it...off to the swap pile. :cry2:

Inside this sweet, pretty bottle is the scent of happy little jack-o'-lanterns all in a row, their candle-warmed innards glowing joyful pumpkin grins into the twilight as they sit on a bed of straw. Now that most people use LEDs inside their pumpkins, this takes me right back to the experience of a real, old-fashioned jack-o'-lantern. I can almost feel the autumn night's slight chill on my cheeks from a hay ride I took in elementary school. Smelling this scent on my third or fourth skin test and reading the poem again draws a few nostalgic tears out of my eyes, and I swear it's not just because I'm hormonal right now.

On my skin the beeswax and pumpkin keep nudging each other out of the way to get out in front, and I swear I even smell the straw from the pumpkin patch. It stays close, so I continually bring my wrist up to my face to huff it. Theme in Yellow is one of seven or eight pumpkin scents that I own and it's somehow more subtle and yet more complex than the others. This is not buttery, baked, spiced pumpkin. It's a lovely way to remember one of the most magical nights of the year. Charlie Brown and Linus, the Great Pumpkin has arrived.

This one doesn't morph a lot, at least not yet. Maybe as it ages. But it starts out yummy pumpkin patch with crust, and ends yummy pumpkin patch with crust. Like...if you took the fresh pumpkin, vine, and a hint of dirt, and dumped it into a delicious pumpkin pie shell. This sounds gross as I describe it, but it's so wonderful and quite possibly my #1 favorite weenie of the year! I can't stop sniffing my wrist. The Great Pumpkin, indeed! :)

Another pumpkin disaster... Beth's pumpkin note goes buttery on my chemistry, and despite my desire for it to work, I just can't deal with it in large amounts it would seem.

No matter what I try, pumpkin goes to buttered popcorn jelly beans on me. This one is complemented by sickeningly sweet maple syrup (perhaps honey from the beeswax?) and a little bitter smoke after bite.

This is not what I was expecting at all. I was hoping for a crisp fresh pumpkin what I got was foody. For once it didn't turn into buttered popcorn lip gloss like most pumpkin blends.

It smells light pumpkin pie filling and there's a hint of crust. There's a noticeable dash of cinnamon in there but it's not overwhelming. I don't get any beeswax at all. Just fresh pumpkin pie.

Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Beneath all that the pumpkin note that I really love, it's pumpkin guts not bakery pumpkin and this scent would have been perfect without the cinnamon potpourri.

Wet this is a green, fresh pumpkin coated in a syrupy wax note. Not bad, but I may only need the imp unless the drydown blows me away. So far it's all baked cinnamon with pumpkin innards.

In The Bottle: Fresh, newly picked pumpkin and some beeswax. :thud:

Wet On Skin: Good LORD is this fine! The pumpkin is like no other pumpkin note I've encountered! There is a very fresh 'green' smell to this pumpkin. I'm imagining a pumpkin patch in the middle of summer, or the smell when you open the pumpkin up to carve it- it's just so natural, I can't stop marveling about it! And then there's this beautiful counter-balance, this beeswax candle note. It's warm and joyous but also light- there's no competition to the pumpkin and that suits the beeswax just fine: it knows it's place here. It grounds the pumpkin and adds depth. then it lets the squash shine!

Dry Down: Staying true from the bottle to dry-down. I have noticed that although I adore many complex BPAL scents, oftentimes it's the ones that just have two or three notes that wind up blowing me away. Theme in Yellow is just such a scent. There is something beautiful and fragile and different about this scent. It won't be for everyone, but for those that understand this scent, they will hold onto it with both hands and never let go.

:wub2:

Wow! This is one of the first ever weenies I've ever tried and I must say - I LOVE it! :wub2:

Theme is Yellow is a gentle raw pumpkin with a touch of sweetness. I can't really say this is raw pumpkin, like when you first cut it open, as the note is less green. But it's definitely not "pumpkin pie" either, as it lacks the spice. Like it's description, this is gently warmed pumpkin - like you cut it in half and put it in the oven for a bit. There is also a wonderful creamy sweetness lended to this scent by beeswax. But not just any beeswax, a soft, honey/vanilla type of beeswax. Yes, there is a slight backdrop of spice, but nothing that screams out on my skin (and I normally AMP spices like cinnamon or clove to high heaven).

As a halloween scent, this is warm, soft and cuddly. It's like being enveloped in your favorite softest, most comforting blanket.

In conclusion, if you like pumpkin or beeswax, this is the scent to try.

Edited by Deliciousness

I utterly love this :) I get fresh greeny smelling pumpkin, very vegetable, as if you were chopping it, and then also a slight hint of creaminess. I wouldn't call it waxy or smokey but it is a little richer than just straight cold pumpkin flesh. Delightful :wub2:

Edited by Quillifer

Was so disappointed by this, I really wanted a fresh, raw pumpkin and all I got was heavy buttery foodie pumpkin. I will have to keep searching for my perfect pumpkin scent, though I think Pumpkin Vines is the closest I've come to it so far.

When I sniffed Theme in Yellow right out of the bottle, I couldn’t tell it apart from Jack. That same very buttery, ever-so-slightly spicy pumpkin. But TiY blossoms on the skin and comes into its own, and at that point I could tell that the foody note I was picking up was probably that honey-cream-type scent that I get from beeswax. Eventually I can also recognize similarities to The Lights of Mens Lives, which is one of my favorite scents. That must be the candlelight in the description! Yes! The pumpkin itself gets less pie-like over time; while I would never sniff this and think “that smells like fresh pumpkin guts!” it definitely becomes closer to fresh raw pumpkin as it wears.

So I guess this is kind of like TLoML and Jack had a fat happy baby. With an ADORABLE label!

LOVE!

Theme in Yellow

To me, this smells like a toned-down pumpkin latte with a note of wax in the background.

I picture this scent as capturing the moment where someone sits on the porch, lights all the jack-o-lanterns around them, has his/her coffee, and also holding a beeswax candle - enjoying the dimming light of fall.

in a nutshell :D

Edited by Akurarei

In the bottle: This smells buttery and lightly spiced.

On the skin: this is a slightly green pumpkin, with the buttery note burning off quickly. The green note burns off next, rather quickly, and I am left with a spiced, slightly sweet vanillic scent. This is not an overly strong scent and my skin seems to eat it up.

Overall I think that it is a nice scent and definitely different from the other pumpkin scents I have.

In the bottle: Buttery yummy goodness with just the barest hint of pumpkin, like baked pumpkin slathered in butter.

Wet on the skin: Spice, mostly cinnamon. Nothing more than warm spicy yummy goodness.

As it dries it gets more and more like freshly baked spiced pumpkin with a drizzle of honey.

Sometime later the beeswax come out and my wrist smells just like a pumpkin spice candle.

All in all I like it. It is warm and screams autumn to me. Definitely a good Thanksgiving day scent.