Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

2013's Ridiculous Halloweenie! Less spooky than Spooky, and nowhere near as creepy as Creepy, this is the scent of lightly spiced pumpkin candies, decorated with thick marzipan, sweetened with buttercream, an decorated with a touch of lemon zest.

In the decant: Marzipan and buttercream!

Wet: A slightly bitter almond/marzipan scent with something spicy going on in the background.. hmmm. not sure what to think of this yet.

dry: plastic and cinnamon/fireballs is all I get :(

I was looking forward to this one so much. I am a bit bummed now.

This goes on really nice almond buttercream, but dries to pure red hots.

I do find that I tend to amp cinnamon, but the complete disappearance of the other notes is pretty disappointing.

Edited by astarinel

Oddly, this is almost a Cinnamon SN on my skin! It's not a sharp, burny cinnamon or a candied Red Hots cinnamon, but a deep, smoky cinnamon. I get no lemon, no pumpkin, no marzipan, no buttercream, hardly any sweetness at all (and I tend to turn everything sweet!). Just a rich, dark, smoky cinnamon. I like it a lot, but it's definitely not what I was expecting!

This is yummy. :yum: When I first got my decants this was one of the first ones I tried and it was awful. After letting it rest a few days, it's become delicous foody sweetness. I'm getting the texture of the marzipan more than the smell- it's not as almondy on me as I thought it'd be, which is fine because almond goes weird sometimes. Then there's chewy pumpkin candy and glorious pumpkin spices and a hint of buttercream. No lemon zest at all. The longer it's on, the more boozy the marzipan gets and the more the spices amp.

I really like this! I don't know if I'd wear it enough to justify a bottle (as much as I like foody blends, this is a little bit too foody for everyday wear!), but I'm glad I have a decant and I may track down another decant. :wub2:

I ADORE Hellcat so seeing comparisons to that has me excited. Plus it's all the foody things I love.

In the imp it's PHWOAR ALMOND and it stays that way on my skin but with sweet gooey buttercream. Nomnomnom. I'm tempted to lick my arm. Wait... Oh. Oh no. Craft store, big time. WHERE IS MY MARZIPAN AND BUTTERCREAM?!

Once the marzipan has dried off (almond scents are made with benzaldehyde, which burns off very fast) what remains is a replica of Fizzy Jack O Lantern from last years Halloweenie. Since I already have a bottle of Fizzy JOL, I won't be needing this, but if you loved Fizzy JOL and didn't buy a bottle, get this to satisfy that particular craving. It's very nice, but I can't see past the fact that it's so much the same as Fizzy JOL, which makes me feel a bit cheated to be honest.

In the decant: Pumpkin and marzipan. Oh, how I wish it would actually smell like this on me, but I see that "spiced" in the description so I know it won't.

On skin, wet: Sure enough, as soon as it hits my skin it's all cinnamon with just a tiny hint of marzipan.

On skin, dry: No more marzipan at all. Just cinnamon.

After an hour: Well, it looks like the thyroid meds haven't changed my chemistry enough to make me stop amping the crap out of cinnamon. *GRUMP*

When I first put this on, I get a very strong waft of lemony sugar icing - that kind of icing you see on cakes you get at the grocery story bakery, where it's pretty much pure sugar, so strong the smell of sugar rises off the cake and kinda makes your teeth ache in anticipation. So that kind of icing, over a lemony cake.

As it dried down, I kept sniffing my arm trying to think what it reminded me of, and then I realized: potpourri. :eek:

This is probably a great foody scent, but with my tastes and skin chemistry, it's a no.

In the imp: Sugar shock and lemon. More accurately, this makes me think of lemon bars. Or sweet lemon breadThis... may be a bit much sugar for me. O_o

Wet on skin: Same as before, although if I sniff my wrists closely enough, I can pick out the marzipan. I have to admit, that note is how I wish more almond scents turned out on me.

Dried down: The lemon and marzipan are still there, but they've faded to the background, while cinnamon rises to the forefront. I do still get a fair amount of that buttercream, though.

Throw: cinnamon pumpkin spice and buttercream. The lemon and almond are staying close to my skin now. I completely get the craft store and potpourri thoughts.

Verdict: **** On scent alone, I'd give this a three and a half to a four. On whether I want it on me...... I'm undecided. I don't mind the smell - it's pleasant. But I think there are other things I'd rather smell like than potpourri. On the one hand, the cinnamon keeps this scent from overwhelming me like I thought it might (out of the imp, my first thought was that if I weren't in the right state, this scent could easily make me nauseous or sick). On the other, I wish the cinnamon balanced the other notes better, rather than taking over the scent. I think I might keep my eye out for a bottle in the future, but I'd be happy just keeping my decant right now, and wearing it when the mood strikes. I may have to see if I have something else with me that might darken the scent just a teeny bit.

In the bottle: Something like a pumpkin candy booze scent.

Wet: Buttercream frosting in a mild way.

The dry-down: The always slightly boozy marzipan has arrived late for the trick-or-treating, but it seems to be over already. Rather a morpher, but faint throughout all stages. I'll have to slather this.

I love foodie scents. Always have, always will. Ooky is foodie heaven on me. It was an insta-buy when I read the notes and thankfully I get each and every one. We start out with shouty almond when it's wet in the bottle and then upon second huff we get the pumpkin and lemon zest. On my skin, the notes blend seamlessly and it becomes some voluptuous sister to both Dana O'Shee and Hellcat. I love the little tickle from the lemon. It's subtle but it's there. The buttercream note is sweet and sexy. This is Nigella Lawson licking confections from her fingers and giving the camera a sultry wink. It's an unbridled threesome between pumpkin, almond and creamy lemon. It's a lapdance from a pumpkin wearing lingerie made from lemon marzipan...

I don't know how Beth makes her gourmand scents so damn sexy but she has mad skillz and always pulls it off. Amazing.

Ooky is an apt name since it's kinda a Kooky scent.

In the bottle: unidentifiable baked goods and candy-ish.

Wet stage: Morphs from super duper pumpkin spices into almondy smelling dough.

Dry stage: An astounding metamorphosis into spicy, autumn, creamy, sweet baked goods with almond slivers on top. And, it smells like it just came out of the oven. How is that possible? YUMMY! I seriously want to nibble on my wrists. Smells foody and warm and sexy!

Oh my F***ing God! Delicious! :yum:

In the bottle..whew..smells like candy corn to me and I hate candy corn. Actually makes my stomach turn a bit at the thought/smell of candy corn.

On the skin...much better. I get the marzipan and that sort of red hot cinnamon candyish smell that others have mentioned. I like foodie scents but I don't think this bottle is a keeper for me. I think I will be regifting it to a family member who might appreciate it more or swapping/selling it.

Sorry Ooky..I really wanted to love you too.

Edit: For typos.

Edited by Honey Girl

Candied fruit at first, along with that pumpkin pie spice that appears to be in much of the Weenie blends. After a bit, no more candied fruit, just pumpkin pie spice. I find this very similar to Theme In Yellow, without the pumpkin. I'm not big on foody, spice scents, I like my spice scents with something musky or patch like, so this is a definite pass.

I get a blast of the lab's almond note, which goes to syrupy fake cherry on my skin, then it's layered with stale coffee cake. As it settles that combo burns off until I'm left with a sort of generic Halloween candle vibe. The longer it's on skin, the more it settles and the more I like it, but I don't see myself reaching for it either.

In the bottle - Marzipan sweetness with a touch of spice

Wet on me - Marzipan but with a burnt sugar undertone

Dry on me - A sweet light marzipan with hints of cinnamon

Overall - Pretty but it faded very quickly

Ooky starts out as a cinnamon-dusted marzipan. As it dries, a kiss of pumpkin comes out, it's not a heavy, pumpkin pie note (Jack makes my stomach turn as do most of the Pumpkin Patch scents) this is a light, sugary pumpkin that totally evokes the image of confectioners sugar dusted candies. In the final dry down, my skin warms to the buttercream creating a nice, buttery base for the pumpkin candy, and cinnamon sugar notes. This is a foodie dream! :wub2:

In Bottle: Weird - like tart cherry liquor or something. Definitely spices and buttercream, too.

Wet on skin: Immediately calming down to a very tart orange-spice smell, with some strong buttercream. Not much almond or pumpkin yet.

Dry, after about an hour: Okay, so I smell like almond cake with orange-spice buttercream frosting. Oh mah gah.

After like 8 hours (or all day): I STILL smell like orange spice, but there's a really soft, smooth pumpkin in the background, and the almond and cream are rounding it off nicely. I smell like autumnal baked goods!

I LOVE THIS. This is amazing.

So Ooky was a bit of heartbreaker for me. When I first got it the buttercream, lemon, and pumpkin were all delicious and played well together...it was awesome! BUT after aging a year or so this turned into all CINNAMON on me. I heard this happen to others but it was the first time it happened to me. So it was just all cinnamon and the sad thing was it was a sad cinnamon. Where did all the yumminess go?! :cry2:

Also the label weirdly creeped me out too. lol :eek:

This is not a sophisticated scent. It is not for business meetings (unless you work for Yankee Candle). It is pretty much only for those days when you wake up and think "i want to smell like lightly spiced pumpkin candies today!" And let's face it, we all have thise days.

True to the note list, doesn't morph, be careful in not doosing yourself or fellow elevator-mates will have a long ride.

The pumpkin and almond are present, yes, but the cinnamon spice (from the pumpkin I assume?) in here is so strong...I have a tendency to amp cinnamon and this is no exception. I do have two aged decants from 3 years ago...I wonder what it smelled like fresh?

Ooky is mostly a somewhat pumpkin-flavored marzipan on me, with a trace of pumpkin spice.  It's very sweet, from the buttercream, and the lemon zest gives it a lightness and brightness.  It's a total foodie, but not a heavy one.  Marzipan is one of my very favorite foodie notes, so I love this.  The cinnamon is perfectly well behaved and in the background; I do not get a skin reaction from this.  It's the kind of thing I reach for when I'm having a crappy day and just need something to cheer me up.