Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

OOKY
2013's Ridiculous Halloweenie! Less spooky than Spooky, and nowhere near as creepy as Creepy, this is the scent of lightly spiced pumpkin candies, decorated with thick marzipan, sweetened with buttercream, an decorated with a touch of lemon zest.

Yaaay.....the fun and pressure to be the first, here goes:

Wet in bottle: Very sweet and almond-y! Kind of reminds me of the almond oil you bake with! :)

On Skin: Turns to a more marzipan scent...like a boozy type marzipan, but not cloying.

Drydown: As it warms up, I get a lovely hint of some spice. Almost like a very faint red-hot cinnamon but then the marzipan mingles in. This is a perfect Fall scent. I don't get lemon zest, but maybe that is the "spice-y" I am getting. Warm, spicy, and sweet!

ETS: Tested again a couple days later...should have known better, :cry2: the marzipan/booziness went plastic-y on me!! Not good!

If I knew I had five minutes left to live this is exactly the sort of ridiculous thing I'd be stuffing myself with. Wet I initially get a blast of almond, and then the pumpkin comes through pretty quickly in the drydown. I like the booziness of it, which initially comes off strong but softens in the drydown. It does retain a certain boozy undertone throughout which I find kind of addictive. The blending of that with the clouds of vanilla buttercream is just pure ecstasy. I'm glad that the spice here is very subtle, just a warming accent and nothing that amps to the point of killing the other notes. Really, really tempted to lick it off. :yum:

Ooky is a huge morpher! Wet this is pure almond buttercream. Then it morphed into those cinnamon brooms you can buy at craft & grocery stores. Dry this is amazing. It's all soft, sweet, very creamy spices. I agree with Invidiana that this has a boozy undertone. The booze, cream plus soft spices smells very much like Egg Nog. I'm actually looking forward to trying them side by side. This will definitely be lovely in winter, as well.

whoa. This is so amazing.

It's candy!

It's the entire baking aisle!

It's buttercream!

It is not almond! Thank you for that because if it was it would be outta here.

It is creepy and kooky, mysterious and spooky.

In the bottle: Almonds predominantly.

On wet: Almond buttercream

On drydown: It morphs! ALmonds, sweet buttercream, baking spices.

Overall I love this! Can see me wearing it all through the holidays and winter.

Starts off as creamy almond with a slight sharpness from the lemon, but quickly burns off into spicy Christmas candle. icon_neutral.gif Will revisit before the Weenies come down but thus far prospects don't look good for even keeping the decant.

In the imp this reminds me a LOT of Hellcat, which I love/covet, but not necessarily what I want from this Weenie. It's got to be that buttercream and spice!

Wet on my wrist, the difference is more noticeable. This one is more vibrant, which has to be the lemon zest, and sweeter, which would be the marzipan. The spices, while similar to Hellcat, have a slightly more autumnal, pumpkiny edge...

And as it dries, the pumpkin really shows its lovely self. This is autumnal, happy Hellcat. It's very evocative as well. It's wonderfilled, cheerful autumn, your childhood amber-light bathed visions of Halloween.

I knew I'd need a bottle of this.

:wub2:

Edited by MiasmaResonance

Pumpkin spice it is.

Despite the wonderful hint of creamy almond this has devolved into arm burning cinnamon. I slathered because it was so good in the imp (the first of all my decants tried on) and now I have this tingling heat on my forearms. The cinnamon is sweet and yummy but not worth the heat.

This smells fantastic in the vial a rich decadent pumpkin spice,

almond buttercream with a faint breath of lemon zest. Creamy

and thick buttercream the kind you want to slather all over

cupcakes in an extra thick layer! In fact this has inspired

me to bake a cake just like this.

It's very good the problem is after a while the cinnamon

from the pumpkin spice comes out and takes the scent over.

I am left with strong cinnamon with a bit of pumpkin-vanilla

in the background. I can't do too much cinnamon on my skin, however

this is not the flaming hot torch my skin cinnamon.I still may want a bottle for a scent locket

or oil burner.

Edited by Rshields

On my skin, this smells like cinnamon candies to me: no almond, no buttercream, and no lemon zest. After a few minutes it fades down to exactly the smell of my local Michael's (a craft store.) So it's a faint pumpkin spice, I guess.

In the bottle it is much richer, and I'm getting a bit of the marzipan, but I still don't smell the lovely lemon. :cry2:

Foody scents aren't my thing anyway, so I'm not too heartbroken. I'm glad I got to smell it!

I think this may be one of the few foodie scents that actually works on my skin. This is brilliant. A little almondy at first and then it dries down into a gorgeous buttercream with spices and pumpkin. I feel like I'm getting a little vanilla, but it might just be the buttercream.

It's warm and soft and smells delicious without smelling like a scented candle. I slathered this about two hours ago and it's sticking around pretty well without at all being overpowering. :wub2:

Oooo, this is a very VERY red/orange scent!

In the bottle, it's all warm and glowing spices.

On, wet: Cinnamon candy with Jack (the BPAL scent). It glows and almost burns. It's bright and cheerful and I love it.

On, dry: Still warm, but it's more orange than red now. The pumpkin has become stronger, and it's mixing with a creamy frosting scent. It's spicy vanilla frosting on top of fresh-baked pumpkin cupcakes!

Sigh.

Damn that buttercream. I don't know if it's my skin or my nose (though in the end what's the difference?), but sometimes cream notes turn on me. At first, this was all pumpkin pie spices, but it quickly became my cream scent nemesis: Salty boiled peanuts.

:(

Mmmm, on me Ooky is pumpkin spice with extra pumpkin and extra spice! :lol: Strong, great throw, delicious. There's a yummy light vanilla cream rounding it out, like whipped cream on a pumpkin spice drink, but no lemon showed up for me. Several hours later, the pumpkin has faded and I have creamy spice. I love both phases. :yum:

In The Bottle: Lemon cheesecake! :eek: (I hope it stays like this!!!)

Wet On Skin: Okay, lemon ALMOND cheesecake! :lol: Wow. This is awesome!

Dry Down: The buttercream, lemon and almond are all together in this beautiful and seriously yummy scent! This is spicy like holiday cookies and it's warm and creamy and just...holy moly, is this GOOD.

In All: Low throw, and a seriously 'foodie' scent! I am totally in love with this! Honestly, this is what I wanted Hearth from 2005 to be and just failed miserably with my skin chemistry. I'm so effing glad I have a whole bottle of this. I shall wear it all autumn and winter long! :wub2:

You know, I got a ton of butter + sugar and a bit of marzipan. Its cute and I'm on the fence about getting a bottle. Drydown is all sugary buttercream with a pink note in the background for no reason. The pumpkin is very muted and not too spicy. Win!

In the vial: OMG! It's buttercream, vanilla a touch of spice and lemon. It reminds me a bit of the cup of frosting from Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls. So. Freaking. Good. :thud:

Wet on skin: The pumpkin spice blooms, taking the sweet buttercream in a different direction. The lemon note has dissipated.

Dry on skin: Cinnamon, like those craft store pinecones. Yah, thats what I'm smelling.

I had my mom do a sniff test and said it's like a perfume one of her co-workers wears. Hummm, I wonder if she spends lots of time at JoAnn's? :lol:

I would love to have had this smell like the description, but my cinnamon and clove amping skin refused. :cry2:

Edited because there is no "e" in JoAnne's.

Edited by Deliciousness

OOKY
2013's Ridiculous Halloweenie! Less spooky than Spooky, and nowhere near as creepy as Creepy, this is the scent of lightly spiced pumpkin candies, decorated with thick marzipan, sweetened with buttercream, an decorated with a touch of lemon zest.

At first I got dreamy butter cream. It smelled so realistic that it seriously made me want cupcakes. mmmmmmmm

But then after about an hour all I was left with was spices. No butter cream. Mainly I was picking up cinnamon. It's not that I hate cinnamon because I don't, it's just I wanted the butter cream to stick around longer.

:(

Sorry little ooky but I have to swap you out.

Origin: decant circle

Initial Thoughts: Sheer curiosity. That's what made me try this scent that is probably too foody on the foody scale for me.

In the Vial: Marzipan with a tinge of buttercream.

Wet: Even more marzipan, if that's possible. Very strongly almond to the point of being extract rather than sweet.

Drydown: Some buttercream emerges, but it's still more marzipan than anything else. I didn't get even a peep of pumpkin from start to finish.

Verdict: Off to the swaps with you, my dear. Foody lovers should definitely give this a whirl.

In the vial: Lemon and bitter almond. Sometimes more lemon than almond and other times more almond than lemon.

Wet on the skin: Almond and pumpkin, and a hint of spice.

Drydown: All traces of bitter almond are gone, as is the lemon. All I get is a smoky pumpkin.

Sometime later: It is pure spicey yumminess. Dark deep spice cake yumminess, with just a hint of buttercream frosting.

I honestly think this is about to replace Boo as my favorite scent. I say that but less than an hour after putting it on it has faded to bare whisper of scent on me, while Boo lasts all day.

I went and layered my beloved Boo over top and now I have a yummy spiced buttercream scented wrist. I will have to do that again.

This starts off lots of almond and a very sweet, rich buttercream frosting note. As it dries, I get a pumpkin bread/cake sort of scent. I don't get lemon, and the marzipan is more almond extract than actual marzipan (like in A Game Called Yes and No). Even so, this is delicious...it's like biting into a pumpkin cupcake with almond frosting. :yum:

The throw is moderate to light, and it fades rather quickly.

I really enjoyed the smell of this--I could smell the buttercream predominantly at first, but thankfully it burned away quickly (I don't do well with the slightly soured milk note the lab's cream usually turns to on me). After the buttercream fades, it's a beautiful smooth cinnamon, much like a craft store at Halloween or a fall-scented candle. But in a really good way! Sadly, my skin burns at the hint of cinnamon so I can't wear this; even in a scent locket, there was a red spot where my locket sat against my skin. Bummer.

Warm, sweet almond pumpkin spices. Unfortunately, the cream part of buttercream goes a little plasticky for me.

Foodie, warm, almond pumpkin.

In bottle: Pumpkin dominant with a strong butter cream second. The marzipan is third, tying them together. The spicing is delicate and the zest gives it a touch of zing. You really need to like butter cream for this to work and I can tell from the bottle scent it’s too much for me, so no skin test

In the decant: Marzipan, buttercream, pumpkin spice, and a little bit of lemon zest. This is very foody, and it smells delicious (even though I am not a big fan of marzipan itself, I do love almond scents).

Wet: The marzipan has the main stage in all of its almondy glory! Then, the spiced pumpkin candies start to make themselves known, and I get a bit of the lemon zest as well. The marzipan and buttercream are now in the background as the spiced pumpkin candies have asserted their dominance. I can still smell the almondy marzipan, but it is nowhere as strong as it was originally. Unfortunately, the cinnamon in this is starting to irritate my skin! It burns! I have sensitive skin, so I was hoping the lightly spiced pumpkin candies would be... you know, lightly spiced. Well, that is not the case on my skin. Pshaw! I wish the marzipan and buttercream would return!

The boy thinks this smells like potpourri. He has a point. I see the craft store comparisons. I can't help but to think one of those cinnamon brooms. Ugh, skin chemistry, make the marzipan and buttercream return!

Dry: Cinnamon. The other notes are practically nonexistent now. One is not amused.

Verdict: I really, really wanted to like Ooky, but alas, Ooky did not like me! The Dark Lord Cinnamon came and conquered the other notes. :cry2: No bottle for me!