Invidiana

Goblin Market

GOBLIN MARKET
Apples and quinces,
Lemons and oranges,
Plump unpecked cherries,
Melons and raspberries,
Bloom-down-cheeked peaches...

Like honey to the throat, but poison in the blood.

Let me just say that I'm so relieved I don't get any melon out of this because it generally doesn't love my skin, but it's all ripe fall fruits uninterrupted by any melon shenanigans. Now that that's out of the way I can let the goblins seduce me with their tempting fruits. There's the juicy sweetness of the peach and apple, checked by the red tartness of the cherry and raspberry. I can definitely distinguish the quince note; I've eaten them baked many times and it smells like exactly that. It's kind of like a less sweet apple with something of a starchy, almost bread-like undertone. I also like how the quince adds something warm and hearty to the blend and balances the sweeter fruit notes. There is a hint of citrus from the lemon and orange, and they're both sweet-tart juice notes rather than the more bitter rind notes. The presence of citrus here doesn't make this a summery scent at all but has more of the effect that the orange in Fearful Pleasure has, even though they're very different scents. I'm thinking there might even be a kiss of golden honey here though I can't be completely sure with all the fruit action going on. I adore Christina Rossetti's poem so much, and this is like the lines above were brought to life and bottled.

I'm not great at picking out notes, but I'll do my best.

In the bottle: Fruity, with a slightly musky undertone.

Wet: I smell zero fruits. No apples, no cherries, nothing. All I smell on my skin is a slightly sweet musk. Very disappointed.

Dry: Bitter fruit, like orange peels. A tiny hint of peach. The musk is starting to fade to powder.

1 hour later: I'm starting to wonder if there's amber in this, because it's going perfumy, and smells a little like dryer sheets (amber always smells weird on me).

I'll give it another test later, but so far, I'm sad that this didn't turn out as delicious and fruity as the description made me hope.

Edited by ketmakura

Wet: This is fruity, but does not smell summery - it is a little darker and more autumnal than many fruit scents. There is a bit of something bakery-like here. Is there bread baking at the goblin market?

Drying on skin: I'm smelling primarily quince and perhaps some musk. This is not as juicy smelling as I expected. I'm getting the sense of stewed fruit.

It is sweeting up on my skin a little and some of the other named fruits seem to be appearing: apple, maybe raspberry, and after a bit more time a fleeting wisp of peach.

Later: Back to primarily quince and musk.

Overall impressions: Goblin Market is all about the quince

on my skin. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it.

In the bottle: A muddled mix of fruits. I can pick out the apple, orange, and cherry from the description if I really try, but it's definitely not a sweet or light fruity blend. The overall effect is sour/bitter.

Wet on skin: The bitterness and sourness mostly go away, and it gains a little sweetness. There's still a sharp quality to it, like spices.

Dry on skin: The drydown is the best stage of this one for me! The raspberry comes out - it smells a lot like Akuma on me, actually, only darker. After some time it turns to... fruity incense? ...which made my mom wrinkle her nose but I don't mind it at all. I probably won't wear this one very often, but it's a fun Halloween scent.

ETA: This one is STRONG. I put on just one little dot with the cap, and woooaahh.

Edited by kajacana

This has the fruits of Street Festival without the mustiness of the honey on my skin. :yum: A Halloweenie Shunga scent. NEAT!!! :joy:

Fruits don't work on my skin unless tempered with stronger, heavier notes like musk, patchouli, leather, etc. Gave this a shot since I picked the decant up for a friend and yup, dusty acrid fruit. icon_neutral.gif

In the vial: an amazing fruity cocktail spun together, the most heavenly

ambrosia salad. You may want to huff the bottle or decant.

On the skin: a melange of indiscernible fruits in a thick fruity syrup.

If I can name any fruit my nose can pick out would be the lemons and

quinces I think.

Drying down: Still hard to decipher, perhaps

more citrus peeking through.

I would like to wear this in a scent locket.

I am not sure of a bottle at this point.

If you are a fruit loving person give it a go.

It's definitely a Fruit bomb! I like it :)

Edit because my phone is awful.

Edited by Rshields

In the imp, it's OMGFRUITY. But it has a hint of honey of something that smooths it out and gives it an extra dimension. It's not nauseatingly fruity.

Wet on my skin, I'm surprised that it's not overbearingly !fruit. There's something giving it depth, and I don't know if it's honey as mentioned in the description, or some other note that would be found in a Gobliny market.

But as it dries, it's starting to take on this sour tinge... I imagine Goblins might have such an ill effect on fruit! & that'd they'd enjoy such off kilter fruits. It gets even deeper with more drying.

This is really interesting, and not like the bright, overbearing fruits I am accustomed to (and dislike), but I'm still on the fence about this one...

With the sour note, I'm afraid someone might think I am wearing fruity deodorant but still smell like BO. :lol: It isn't quite that unpleasant, just weird, unsettling goblin fruit!

Sweet and fruity with an underlying sharpness that gives it the feel of something sinister and goblin like. Someone mentioned amber and I think it could be - this dries down to a perfumey fruit salad. Don't dislike it - but I'm fine with the decant.

Wow, this smells like macerated fruit that is on the verge of fermentation - at least on my skin.

When I tested this, there was an edge to it that just didn't sit well with me, almost like an underlying funk. I don't think my chemistry worked too well with this one.

Goblin Market reminds me of stewed summer fruit that my Dad would put away for the winter. (The kind in the mason jar with the wax seal) Devoid of the usual spice and cinnamon, its late harvest fruit is perfect for daytime. Me and my skin chemistry are in LOVE! Edit: 2 weeks later...Skin chemistry is uncovering only the decay under the fruit. Have to try again for 2 weeks to see if I can find the smelly I loved.

Edited by Fiam

In the VERY wet stage, this smells dark and sinister on me, and I don't get any fruit at all. I discussed with a friend who'd also bought this perfume what it could be, and he guess nutmeg and black liquorice, which confuses me because neither of those things are in the description. However, once it dries, it turns into a very sweet candied apple on me. I don't really get any other fruits, just apple and sugar. But I still really like it. I just like fruity, sweet scents. (That, and fooody scents.) The dry stage of this smells almost exactly the same as Princess & Playtime from Lou Lou's, so it's good that I know what to replace this with when this bottle runs out.

Score: 7/10 (Mostly for the weird wet stage.)

My dad makes a spiced hot toddy for holiday parties, and Goblin Market smells just like it when it first hits my skin. A few minutes in, though, all it get is apple combined with notes that remind me of Swank. It wears forever and becomes a bit masculine over time. A nice scent, but not one I need a whole bottle of.

Goblin Market has made me come to the realization that I need more quinces in my life. This smells so freakin good.

It is fruity but not in the traditional sense. No melon and very little lemon (thank goodness). This smells like the last of the summer fruits along with the first fall fruits all mixed together. The end result isn't a juvenile berry or a generic apple scent. This is unique all on its own. Very grown up smelling and very pretty.

This starts off dark, but then shortly after the apple comes shining through and it becomes brighter and sweet. That doesn't last too long and while it does stay fruity, there's a bit of spice to it. I wish I could discern anything besides that apple but it appears that that is the note that I amp (not that I'm complaining). I'm just happy that it doesn't go foody. If you want a fruity scent for fall, this would definitely fit that wish.

In bottle: Mostly red, juicy berries and apples over honey, with a touch of citrus. Omnomnom. Wet: The fruits are way more complex on the skin. I’m picking up peaches and melon now as well as berries. I’m wondering if the quince isn’t the thing making it particularly late fall, as I’m not familiar with quince. If so, it’s second strongest after the dominant apple with the raspberries in third. The melons and peaches are subtle and rich, with the melon the stronger of the two. My skin generally amps citrus, but it stays in balance here, lending tartness without overwhelming. Dry: Mostly Quince and apple with a touch of melon.

Fruity! This one stars strong smelling of apple cider, citrus (mostly orange), and touches of both cherries and peaches. As it dries, it becomes a more dark fruit blend, and I definitely get a touch of the raspberries.

This really does remind me to Street Festival, minus whatever didn't work for me there. It's a ripe, autumn harvest. But with enough depth to let you know that all of the fruit, enticing is its desirability, is not meant for the faint of heart.

Dark, fruity, tasty.

In the decant: I can detect the apple, cherry, melon, citrus, and what I am guessing is the quince (I am not familiar with that note).

Wet: The apple, cherry, and citrus seem to be dominant on my skin. The medley of fruits reminds me of some kind of chewy, fruity candy (it isn't as sweet as candy, though). The citrus seems to get stronger over time, and what I think must be the quince is quite prominent as well.

Dry: The scent is a lot softer now. The unfamiliar note (which I think is the quince) seems to stand out the most now, with the other fruity notes mingling in the background.

Verdict: I was hoping the apple note would be the most prominent on my skin, but this scent is nice! I won't be getting a bottle because I don't see myself wearing something like this often enough to warrant a bottle, but I am glad that I was able to try it.

In the decant: Slightly fruity, with no one fruit standing out, but with a distinctly musky undertone.

On skin, wet: More musky, less fruity. Kinda threatening to go perfumey.

On skin, dry: Perfumey as all get out. No fruit. Just musky department store perfume blech.

After an hour: I need to wash this off. :/

Fruity! With a hint of yeasty bread and musk. I like this so far! On my skin, I get the bread-y, bakery smell first, then a punch of bright fruit. The tarty smell keeps it from being summery with all the fruit. This is yummy! As it warms, it develops a perfumey note, and I get a tiny bit of a herbal green note, it reminds me of hellebore, which would be fitting as this is supposed to be poisonous. What happened to the tarty-smelling fruit? No more of that lovely shortbread, just oddly perfumey fruit.

In the bottle: Fresh, ripe fruit that needs to be eaten or cooked or put up soon, else it will all decay. A different type of sweetness lurks in the middle--that must be the honey. The slight sharp note hiding deep, almost metallic--could this be the blood note?

Wet: The fresh fruit is lovely and bright; with each sniff I get a different one. :)

The dry-down: Well, this is damn disappointing. That sharp metallic scent, which I suspect is the blood note, is stomping down all fruit into what might become a decaying mess. :( I might keep some for the scent locket, though, as I like the cold sniff scent.

Later: The honey may save this after all; I hope so, as I love Rossetti's poetry.

ETA: server issues

Edited by thekittenkat

This is such a cheery and bright scent. It reminded me instantly of Punkie Night.

I get mostly quince and apples out of it. This is very summer-appropriate and i'm happy i took a chance and purchased a full bottle whoo.gif

In the decant: An autumn harvest of fruit

Wet stage: Pretty much the same except apples come to the top. They smell like Macintosh apples.

Dry stage: This doesn't really morph at all. It's not a scent I would use often but I will keep the decant to experiment with layering. Overall, a very nice scent.