Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

NEVAR
Black plum and opium poppy with violet leaf and petal, white musk, indigo incense smoke, olibanum, vetiver, and cacao.

I usually like scents with a lot of deep, dark notes, and I'm a fan of incense and plum. I picked this one up on the hopes that it would be in the Mme. Moriarty/Misfortune Teller v3/Snake Charmer family. It's not, really, so the plum here is really not dominant, at least on me. What I'm getting most of is violet and incense. In fact, what this most reminds me of is if I lit a stick of Japanese violet incense--not super smoky, a bit faint, but light and slightly sweet. Definitely in the same light vein as Pursue Rabbit, this one is a close to the skin kind of scent. I don't smell much vetiver at all and I can usually pick it out if it's too heavy.

This scent visually reminds me of a light purple smoke. Very pretty and not what I was expecting at all.

If you liked the Convergence scent B340, with its violet notes, you will probably like this. They are very similar.

I'm reviewing this after wearing it for about 1/2 hour, after getting it straight from the mailbox. In the (warm from the mailbox) bottle, oh yes, this is dark purple incense and opium. On skin, I always amp opium poppy, and this is no exception. The incense and opium notes are fully present, and this just smells like a dark purple scent to me. The white musk worried me at first, because I usually don't care for white scents. No vetiver or cacao to be found at this point. I agree with Ondine's description of a Japanese incense. I'm glad I bought this, as it's nothing like any of my other scents.

In the bottle: Sweet without being cloying opium and that lovely purple incense.

Wet: Sweet and green violet with a swirl of incense, ugh this is GORGEOUS. It reminds me a lot of Arkham and of witch queen. WELL FANCY THAT, purple incense in Witch Queen, and that beautiful violet in Arkham. I immediately had to go look them up because of how strikingly similar (but beautifully different) this is to those two scents.

Dry: Definitely the beautiful lovechild of Witch Queen and Arkham, Soft violet and just a little bit of sweetness of plum to make it just absolutely gorgeous, and that beautiful waft of purple incense. I will need backups.

Nevar is a deep, dusky violet scent to me. The other notes mostly support the violet; the vetiver brings a touch of earthiness while the olibanum adds a light, airy smoke note. I am not getting any noticeable cacao or plum, although they may be adding a touch of sweetness to the blend. Throw is light but noticeable. Colour impression is a deep, velvet-like purple so dark as to be almost black.

This is a beautiful scent, but my bottle of Morgause fills the same "violet incense" niche and I prefer the complexity and clean jasmine note of Morgause. People who like dark violet blends but are turned off by the vetiver in Saturnalia may enjoy this scent since the vetiver is much more subtle here.

Decant from the wonderful Mellifluous

Someone above me said that Nevar reminds them of light purple smoke, someone else said it reminds them of purple incense. I agree with both statements.

The plum isn’t showing itself enough for my taste. I'm not real sure what opium would smell like but I am getting the smoke from the incense and violet. Vetiver is a death note for me usually, and thankfully it is behaving itself in this scent. Usually Violet hates me, but it is very nice in this blend.

It also lasts a while on my skin. I could still smell it this morning, only faintly.

this scent is very purple, as you would imagine it would be. in the beginning i think i mostly get violet leaf, poppy and incense, maybe a hint of cacao and olibanum? it's all very well blended. there is a sweet fruitiness from the plum too, but it's not super plummy or overwhelming. i say that because, i tend to amp BPAL's plum note and i am not a fan of super fruity scents. the plum was the only thing in this that really scared me, but it's alright. i feel like it has a similar feel to queen mab and glasgow, and is sweeter than queen mab but less sweet than glasgow. i like those 2 scents a lot, and i probably like them both more than this one, but i like this too. it's more incensy and dark i guess. after it's been on a few hours, it's mostly smoke and white musk on me. very subtle. this is a pretty soft scent, it's not too strong or overwhelming.

On my skin wet: Prettyprettypretty! Pretty violets and japanese incense in the background. Not getting a lot of plum.

On my skin dry: Very lifelike violet incense. To me it smells oriental and mysterious.

I like it, it's so close to the perfect violet scent but it's not quite there. I ended up with two bottles of this but I think I'll only need one.

Dark, almost oily violet. I get the opium, violet and vetiver and incense smoke, and it smells almost like a violet version of a Phoenix Steamworks scent.

In the sense that I get almost a gleaming, oily, shiny surface that resembles a violet. It's like a violet made out of gears, mystical parts and darkness.

If someone was looking for a steampunk violet blend, give this a whirl.

ETA: Now that this has had a chance to age, Nevar smells like the violet version of Pallas Athene, which ended up being a surprise hit for me. It's a dark, resinous blend with enough violets to keep it feminine.

Edited by zankoku_zen

bought this from a forum member. wet: plum with heavy violet and incense. dry:smokey violet incense...love this although sometimes the violet gets a little heady. throw is great, but staying power is so-so. I have had it on for close to 4 hours and it had faded to a barely there violet incense. Huffing my wrist only gives me a little scent....next time I will use a fixative and see if that helps it stay longer. Overall, very happy I got this bottle and will be keeping it since I have nothing else like it!

• ITI: On first sniff, the scent is rather smoky - opium poppy and wafting vetiver overwhelm the other notes completely. After some time, I can tease out the indigo, musk, and plum, but not much else.

Wet: Wow, much more complex on my skin. The opium is much stronger now and the incense cuts through the vetiver along with the musk and indigo, making for a really interesting combination when paired with the violet, like a Victorian head shop where you'd expect to have high tea set against luxurious silk pillows obscured by billowing opium smoke.

Dry: It's soft from the swirling incense and "blue" in a sense from the vetiver, violet leaf, indigo, and musk. It's a bit strong at first, but it certainly tones down to something a bit more wearable, but still heady and indolent.

i really like ondine's description of "japanese violet incense." that is kind of exactly what nevar smells like. it's actually really lovely but this is just way too floral for me to wear. it is definitely a purple scent and is dry and smoky and pretty, but the floral notes are kind of giving me a headache.

At first sniff, this reminds me extremely strongly of Kaidan. In the bottle, at least, it's almost identical. I last smelled Kaidan at C2E2 back in 2012, and it's still a really strong sense memory, an oriental style perfume with plum, distinctly purple.

Wet: Plum incense and something smoky and plastic. No musk whatsoever, and no cacao. Violet, for sure, mingling with the plum.

Dry: This smells very headshop to me, and while that isn't my thing, this would be great on some friends of mine who like the dirty dark stuff more than me. If you told me this had patch in it I would completely believe you. Not my cup of tea, but glad to have tried it!

Edited by Whisperstilled

Wet: Lots of opium. Like, tons of it. ALLLL the opium. And a bit of plum. I thought the violet would be my issue, instead it's the opium that is crazy strong, and not particularly great on me.

Dry: This calms down a lot. The plum comes through nicely, and it sweetens up. It's still a lot more opium than I typically wear, but I do kind of like it! Reminds me of a less "clean" version of Stormclouds Over the Midway, which I love. I think I may keep it and see how often I reach for it. I also ADORE the label art for this series. Makes it harder to give up on a scent...

wet: opium, violet, and incense smoke. i'm actually liking this more than i had anticipated, but i wasn't sure what to expect, as i'm not too familiar with violet, oilbanum, or plum. i'm getting a little bit of that spicy vetiver. there is no cacao in sight. i can definitely see the japanese incense smoke comparison.

drying: the vetiver has disappeared, and the violet is getting louder.

verdict: too much heady florals for me (i don't think volet and i are the best of friends), but it's an interesting scent to smell and would be lovely on someone else.