Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

HATTA
Copaiba balsam, battered brown leather, and Ceylon cinnamon.

This! This is gooooood. Leather, definitely well broken in leather with spices, cinnamon isn't overpowering and in your face, but you know it's there and I've no idea what Copaiba balsam is supposed to smell like, but to me it smells like the aftertaste of root beer...not that that makes any sense, but it's what it smells like to me and I love it! :joy:

Beautiful! :yum:

If you're familiar with Velvet Bandito, I think these guys are cousins. I get the same dry spiced sweetness from Hatta that I love in that blend.

Don't be afraid of the cinnamon, it's barely there. This is a dusty dry brown leather, as opposed to one of those deep, almost oily leather notes. The cinnamon is warm and not entirely cinnamony-- I wouldnt be surprised if there was some other spice in there too. And the balsam is like a piece of smooth sun-bleached wood.

I'd describe every note in this blend as dry and sweet. It's primarily leather (thank the bpal gods!), and the spice and balsam just swirl around delicately. Lowish throw, but really good staying power-- I put some on before working in the garden and kept getting delightful whiffs of it all day :)

I LOVE this one. Its so so so fabulous.

Its a super worn, very true brown leather - like wearing an old cowboy jacket. Or like an old saddle.

Amazing.

Its enhanced by the balsam, which blends perfectly into the leather, making it slightly sharper and more interesting. Then the warm spice of the cinnamon swirls around the leather. Its so great. If you love Playful wooden mallets (Hatta is much less cinnamon than mallets) OR CB I hate Perfume's leather note, you will LOVE this.

Are those random refernces? Those are two of my favorite perfumes thats why.

The throw is moderate but the wear is super long and true. It makes me feel very laid-back chic.

TRACK THIS DOWN.

This reminds me a lot of Peter Quint (the notes for that are: leather, balsam, ambergris, and bay laurel) at first, but instead of cooling off as PQ does, the cinnamon spices it up and makes this a warm, brownish blend, very homey and kind. The leather notes are pretty similar on me, though, and they both fade relatively quickly on me and lack much throw.

I have no regrets on ordering this one; it's a beautiful and rather comforting blend.

OK, here we go. Sniffed from a warm bottle fresh out of the mailbox, oh yeah, this one will work. After letting it rest a while and barely applying a touch, I am still happy. Initially I can smell the leather, but then the cinnamon wafts in with the balsam. Reviewing about 1/2 hour after receiving and applying it, so as this mellows from the mailbox and ages a little, it will be even better.

I took a leap of faith on this one, because leather is not typically a note that I like. About the only beloved scent that I have with leather is Count Dracula, from the 2006 Halloween release. That shares two notes with Hatta: leather and cinnamon. Hatta is much less complicated. But guess what... I love this! It's funny how each reviewer so far has been able to come up with a comparison scent for reference. Mine is Count Dracula. Hatta is a very distant cousin, as it lacks the clove and so many of the other ingredients. But if you love CD, or have never been able to find a bottle, then get thee to the Century Guild website while Hatta is still available. You won't regret it.

In the bottle - leather and warm (but not sharp or sweet) cinnamon. In fact, the cinnamon is so not-sweet and spice-like that it almost smells like cardamom with the balsam.

On Me - Warm leather (I agree, very much like the leather of Peter Quint) with a bit of dry balsam, and a bit of spice. The cinnamon becomes more apparent as it dries down but never reaches screeching or red-hots levels like many cinnamon blends do for me. It's not the same kind of leather-spicy that Spanked is - it's warmer than that. I'm not sure what's keeping this from being very dry but really isn't. The leather seems to stay pretty strong as it dries for me but the spice really warms up, as well.

On my spouse - Vanilla chai masala. Whatever is keeping the scent from being dry on me is making it very sweet on my spouse. Almost all of the leather disappears at first and it's mostly sweet spicy calm cinnamon and balsam. He describes this as "vanilla chai tea incense - it's not like tea but more like someone was trying to make a scent-a-like incense." At full dry down the leather is back but not nearly as strong as it is on me. Overall, a nice warm spicy scent.

More like this, kinda: Spanked, Peter Quint, Dee, Iago

This is the first leather scent I've ever liked enough to wear. I like the CONCEPT of leather perfume, and I love the smell of leather, but I've always found them to be sharp-smelling on my skin, making me smell like chemicals. This is different. It's a really true leather smell -- the kind that makes you want to stuff your nose into a new purse or jacket. The balsam and cinnamon make it wearable, and on me it's almost slightly sweet/vaguely floral.

It does fade rather quickly, although maybe that will change with age. Although as it is, I'm not sure that I'd want to smell strongly of leather all day, so the fade is kind of comforting. :)

In the bottle: Spicy-woodsy, with just a hint of leather.

Wet: Immediately turns to spicy cinnamon and soft, brown, well-worn leather. No balsam at all on me.

Dry: Nothing but perfect leather and the barest hint if cinnamon, like a spiced-up Quincy Morris.

I love it! And this is the second cinnamon smell I've tried today.

I totally agree with Trickster. Its pretty much a slightly spiced up Quincey Morris, sans the pear. The spice is even quite mild on me.

I like this, but it is a bit simplistic, and the leather is not quite as roughed up as I like, although it is still rougher than most :lol:

Holy Leather and Cinnamon! YUM-O.

This dries down to Balsam and a bit of Leather on my skin. Lovely.

Wanted to add that this is very masculine on me...i love it and the waft is incredible but i have to use a vanilla lotion with it to sweeten it up a bit. :-)

Aaand i just realized which perfume this reminds me of: Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920. They are quite similar and have the same vibe!

Edited by Herb Girl

In the decant: Worn leather.

On wet: Worn leather.

Drydown: Some of the balsam coming out; still no cinnamon.

Dry: Pretty much the same. I didn't really get any cinnamon from this, but the leather and balsam are a nice combination. It's a pretty simple scent, but the balsam adds a lot of warmth to the leather.

Wet: Ceylon cinnamon and worn brown leather.

Dry: Some funky creaky old worn brown leather and balsam. :sick:

No cinnamon to keep the balance. This has got to go to swaps. :ack: Cause it must get off my skin and out of my house...NOW!!!

This is all leather and balsam on me, with no hint of cinnamon. I like brown leather and balsam, but this one doesn't seem to have any other contrasting scents to counterbalance it. On the positive side, this does have massive throw and seems to last pretty long on my skin.

To me, Hatta has more of a 'masculine' feel to it, though I could see it being unisex to some noses.

I think this one may work much better on my husband than me, so he is going to be gifted with this bottle.

I don't like to wear leather or cinnamon, but this smells great to me (if that tells you anything.)

There is no 'chemical' quality to the leather at all, thank God. Ceylon cinnamon is the only sort of cinnamon I like to smell: it is more woodsy and less foody-spice to my nose. The balsam is lending even more of a woodsy quality, but it's not burning my nose or screaming I AM BALSAM at me. I don't wear Über masculine blends, but I would wear this when the mood strikes me.

I think this is a beautiful combination, and I will keep my decant - right next to In the Forest, the only other leather-containing scent I can stomach.

On my skin, the worn leather, balsam, and cinnamon were perfectly balanced (and the cinnamon didn't make me itchy, so yay!). My brain registers leathers and balsams as "cool", so with the warmth of the cinnamon added to the mix, I had an interesting scent experience, for sure. A warm, slightly spicy, soft, snuggly-yet-open, brown scent. Very, very nice, and definitely backup-worthy if I can manage to snag one before they're all gone!

Brown leather and cinnamon.

So this leather sort of reminds me to Quincy Morris, with the same brown leather note. Except this one smells newer. Quincy Morris was well worn leather.

This is more like a brown leather whip. It's not as sharp and predatory as black leather, but it's still firm. And new.

And just waiting for you to break it in.

ITB: It's a sweet, lightly resinous scent with a pleasant undertone of warm leather.

Wet: Warm Ceylon cinnamon tea with fragrant balsam underneath and a deliciously supple brown leather, which provides a harmonious base for both of these two scents. It reminds me a light leather-adorned male clerk in a tea and spice shop during late afternoon.

Dry: It's soft, pleasantly spicy with some faint fragrant wood and leather underneath. This is most certainly a keeper!

On my skin wet: Peppery cinnamon in your face! That's a bit harsh.

On my skin dry: Really peppery cinnamon! The leather is lurking somewhere in the background making the scent smell a bit dry. It ends up rather aromatic though. Nice throw.

Too dry for me but overall a nice spicy scent.

soft beat up, worn-in leather, delicious sticky spicy balsam, and a soft light dusting of real, not candy, cinnamon.

I adore hatta. it has a low throw and requires much slathering, but it's such a beautiful sum of its lovely parts that I'm happy to reapply. it layers well with many things and it just warm and rich and fits like the perfume version of your favorite jeans/boots/jacket.

another winner in the fragmented alice family of amazing smells!

On two of my friends, this smells just gorgeous: rich leather and golden balsam luxuriating in warm cinnamon. It made me want to lick them.

I tried it.

Unfortunately on me, it smells like doing the Cinnamon Challenge in Uncle Sketchy Galore's mancave: dry, burning cinnamon with a surround of creepy, unkempt leather.

I will stick to sniffing it on my friends.

oh my god this leather and cinnamon combo is fantastic. the leather note in hatta is probably my favorite bpal leather- warm, worn brown leather. i think the cinnamon/leather combo here make hatta a cousin to spanked, with its black leather and cardamom notes, but hatta is cozier, cuddlier and friendlier. hatta will hug you, not spank you. it is a warm, delicious, very wearable leather perfume. i can't stop sniffing myself. mmmm.

Okay, I give up. The Lab's leather note hates me. I get "a leather satchel" in the bottle; that's the only way I can describe it. It's a very nice leather... in the bottle. When it goes on me it just goes foul. There's a wee bit of balsam struggling to show, but the leather just smothers it. Scrubber.

Soft, brown, well worn, suede-like leather with a sharp cinnamon undertone. To me, this is like the opposite of Spanked. Where Spanked was sharp, new, black whip leather and soft spices, this is soft leather and sharp spices. I love the lab's leather blends, and I'm liking this one too.

Wet: Lots of cinnamon, but it smells like there's cardamom in there too?! Unexpected, but awesome. Warm, worn leather. Earthy, warm, comforting. Really liking it so far.

Dry: Dries to a light spicy leather scent. It's nice, but not wowing me.

I tried this without reading the notes first.  My initial impression was sweet cinnamon, but it was so smooth, I thought maybe it was sugary clove or carnations.  I amp the HAAAYLE out of cinnamon, (clove to a lesser extent) and sure enough, the spice exploded on my skin but in a very pleasant way.  The cinnamon in this still makes me think cloves, but that's probably just b/c it's behaving so well and not going red hots.  I'm not really getting any complexity, (maybe a teeeensy bit of soft leather?)  but it's nice.  Reminds me of smoother, tamer Hunter.

ETA:  Ok, as the hours are wearing on, I'm kinda of falling in love with this one.  The cinnamon has calmed down quite a bit, and now it's a lovely, warm skin scent, with a hint of sweetness and leather.  Really lovely.

Edited by VetchVesper