Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Numanoid

Snake Oil in the Pumpkin Patch

Snake Oil in the Pumpkin Patch
There's all manner of shenanigans in this year's pumpkin patch! Pumpkin'ized hybrids of GC BPAL scents abound!

I am about to commit sacrilege and I know it, but here goes: Hi, my name is Leo, and I’ve never skin tested Snake Oil. I KNOW, I KNOW. I have some SO imps and I’ve played with them a little. And I like SO when I sniff it. But I’ve never worn it.

Nevertheless I was super-excited to see Snakes in the Pumpkin Patch, because I just knew that it would be amazing. AND IT IS. Shockingly, I don’t really get any spice from it, and I don’t get the buttery note I so often get from the lab’s pumpkin. This is just SO with an autumn twist, not identifiably foody at all but dead sexy. And it lasts and lasts.

So now that I’m initiated I’ll crack open my old SO imps.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’m in trouble.
B) Edited by Leopard403

To me this smells like snake oil with pumpkin and cinnamon. While that sounds very simple...it's more than just that. I never realized that the only thing Snake Oil is missing is cinnamon. When you add cinnamon you can wear Snake Oil fresh from the lab and not worry about aging it a year.

This is yummy smelling. Cinnamon Snake Oil...perfection!

Editing my original comments as I believe I didnt allow the scent adequate time to rest after traveling.

Snake Oil with a tiny bit of pumpkin and a WHOLE lot of cinnamon and spice. I have the same problem with this blend that I have with Sin in the Patch: somehow the spice mixture makes the blend seem dirty to me-- like discordant or muddied. I actually find this blend less sweet than original SO because the spices are rather dry and dusty.

I really prefer regular SO. The cinnamon is too dominating and the dustiness of the spices seem to blot out the creamy vanilla aspect of the original.

Edited by MCS4096

In bottle: Snake oil dominant with strong pumpkin. They go together surprisingly well, the vanilla in the snake oil bridging the gap with the pumpkin. The effect is complex and hard to describe. Wet: I don’t generally do well with the pumpkin accord, but this may actually work. The snake oil stays dominant, with the pumpkin sweetening and mellowing it. Dry: Mmmmm… Sweet snake oil with all the things I like about snake oil amped.

This one is growing on me. It smells like snake oil with spice cookies. I also smell mushrooms. I am really losing it...

This has aged into OMG Gorgeous. The oil is very dark and thick, and the scent is heady. I wear it out at night, it's kind of perfect. I hope this comes back some day.

Edited by stellamaris

To my eternal horror, I can't wear Snake Oil. There's a musk in there that simply doesn't play well at all.

So Snake Oil + pumpkin seems to obscure whatever that musk is, and I get a musky, vanilla pumpkin. Pretty delicious, but I think I like other versions of the Pumpkin patch better.

On the other than, this is probably the one variation on Snake Oil I can wear. (Most of the Snake Pit blends were an utter disaster on me).

In the imp: So this is the first of the pumpkin blends I've tried where I've also tried the original. In the imp, it smells like Snake Oil with an extra hit if spice. Honestly, so far, all of the pumpkin blends have smelled a bit more pumpkin spice than pumpkin-y to me. Not that I have a problem with that (i'm not really fond of most pumpkin desserts, so I've kind of avoided pumpkin-y scents till now), but it isn't what I was expecting.

Wet on skin: Similar, but I think I'm getting a little more of the squash now than just the spices. It blends together pretty well into the Snake Oil, though.

Dried down: Same, but softer.

Throw: Not a whole lot, but very Snake Oil-ish.

Verdict: **** 1/* Honestly, out of the pumpkin blends, this is my favorite so far. Might be my growing love of Snake Oil, but.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............................. I really may have to get a bottle. Or two. Or more.

Snake Oil for the holidays! I have been a SO lover for many moons ever

since I received my first dark cobalt blue bottle with the glued on paper label.

It's classic and enduring if you love it you must try this! It's Spiced Snake Oil! Like the Jagermeister Spice version for the holidays, adding

some holiday pizzaz to a tried and true classic! Wear this while sipping that!

The cinnamon was scary at first, thankfully it quickly faded into a well rounded pumpkin

pie spice. I'm glad the Snake Oil barrel rolled into the pumpkin patch.

Five gold stars :)

Edited by Rshields

Pumpkin spiced Snake Oil?! It's a forum dream come true, and a Snake Oil lover's Weenie fantasy. 'Starts out slightly buttery, creamy, golden, pumpkin, and mellows into an extra spicy Snake Oil. It smells really cinnomony, but, YEA!, does not make my skin red, even fresh out of a bath. Dried out, it reminds me a bit of maple and brown sugar oatmeal, but sexy and musky: dark, sweet, thick, and delicious. Wearlength is loooong, sillage varies on how much you apply, and is gender neutral.

Beth, thank you for hearing us and making magic! We lovez it!!!! Please make it the new, much awaited annual! It's CLASSIC!

Edited by lookingglass

Oh maaaan, this is good. Buttery, slightly foody, spicy vanilla cakey FANTASTIC. And that's even before it's touched my skin. Oh yeah, it's good. Not quite so pumpkin spicy as to bother me, but those spices are definitely plentiful. SO twists around the pumpkin and their spices play off each other in the best way. This is huff-able, definitely. I feel like it's veering a bit too much into spicy territory the longer it's on though. I'll most likely hang onto my decant but I don't need a bottle.

Wow, my first thought when I tried this was "This is a pignoli cookie!" :eek:

Seriously, it's a nutty cookie with a touch of pumpkin spice for a while, and then Snake Oil becomes recognizable. The vanilla in Snake Oil is Play-Doh on me normally, and while it is slightly plastic in here it's not too terrible. The longer this is one, the more prominent the spices become and the less plastic the vanilla gets.

Hm, I'm not sure what to think of this! Normally this is the sort of smell I totally dig, and it is super delicious, but I guess Snake Oil not working for me in the past is turning me off a little, even though this a version of Snake Oil that works. Can't shake those negative associations, I guess! I don't know about getting a bottle, but I'll certainly keep the decant. Heck, who knows, maybe I can train myself to love this perfume and then maybe I'll see about a bottle. :P

When I first put this on all I could detect was pure Snake Oil. After it settles the pumpkin starts to come out and it adds a nice sweetness and spiciness to the SO, it's like a sweeter, mellower version of SO on my skin. My skin turns the pumpkin note very sweet so I can definitely smell that here but it stays in the background and lets the SO take center stage most of the time.

In the bottle: Fresh Snake Oil poured over fresh pumpkin.

Wet: Now more like spicy pumpkin pie, moreso than usual.

The dry-down: And morphing again to a somewhat aged Snake Oil, resting on top of halfway baked plain pumpkin. I should note that I prefer aged Snake Oil, and I also prefer some of the Snake Pit denizens, along w/ Snake Charmer, again to fresh Snake Oil.

Note to the mods: The label on my bottles states: "Snakes in the Pumpkin Patch", not "Snake Oil in the Pumpkin Patch".

In the Decant: Yep, Snake Oil

Wet Stage: Snake Oil with pumpkin and spices.

Dry Stage: This one doesn't morph at all. Which is great because I love this scent from first sniff. The pumpkin scent doesn't appear to be a fresh pumpkin but rather more of a pumpkin pie. Unlike other reviews, I am getting a pretty strong vanilla rounding everything out. I need to get a bottle and a backup of this before it's all gone. B)

Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg and a touch of snake oil. I smell like a vanilla cookie, which is really yummy to eat, but I don't like to smell like one. This may get more wearable with age for me, if the snake oil comes out more, but for now, its just too spicy.

I'll start by saying that Snake Oil is one of my most loved scents. It's absolutely perfect. I also love anything pumpkin-y... so the idea of the two together = self implosion. Let's see what happened...

In the bottle it smelled of what I would imagine a pumpkin liqueur would smell of... if any of you know of any pumpkin liqueurs, tell me! It was rich, sweet, warming, aromatic and delectable.

Wet on skin that pumpkin disappeared and I had a huge wave of cinnamon, dry, candy like cinnamon - red hots, if you will. Didn't think there would be cinnamon in this as my chemistry and cinnamon do not get along. :o

Upon dry down - PHEW! The cinnamon nearly almost disappeared, the pumpkin liqueur came back with a hint of SO coming out.

After a number of hours, the SO was more apparent however the beautiful pumpkin was the more dominant character here, which surprised me as Snake Oil is so very powerful on me on it's own. The combination is divine.

I think this is a lovely take on Snake Oil, I've been wearing it every day since I ordered it and thank goodness my backup bottle arrived today! Someone else's post said that it was a more office safe version of SO and I totally agree. In fact, some of the guys in my office who would never wear anything that wasn't a high end men's cologne have taken me aside to ask me where they can get the perfume I'm wearing!!

If you're a fan of the Snake Oil, definitely try this!!!!

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

since snake oil is rapidly becoming one of my favorite scents (it is just so addicting,and sexy,and delicious,and purrrrrfect,and...) I absolutely had to try this one!

Let me start by saying that over here in Belgium,we are not used to pumpkin scents.Pumpkin is not frequently eaten over here either and when it is,it is always in savory dishes (soup,mostly)and never in sweet ones. So I have been really curious about a sweet pumpkin scent,but I don't know what exactly that should smell like :D

In the vial and wet on skin I was at first blown away by the pumpkin.In a way it was not what I had expected,since to my nose (and my husband's) it smelled smoky rather than sweet.Like roasted pumpkin. In this stage it completely overpowered my beloved snake oil though.

After fifteen minutes or so,it dried down into the most lovely perfume.Definately snake oil,with smokey but sweet pumpkin and a hint of cinnamon :wub2: A bit more foody than the Original,which I like.

I will definately buy this again and am looking forward to seeing how it ages :)

In the bottle - The thick warm vanilla of Snake oil with pumpkin spices

Wet on me - A slightly raw musk over thick vanilla and spices

Dry on me - A warm, creamy vanilla with musk and a touch of spice

Overall - I like this a lot and as its essentially Snake Oil with extra spice I have high hopes that with a little aging it will be amazing

A Snake Oil cookie, almost like a ginger snap—something hard and flat and spicy. It's dry smelling, no buttery note at all to me. S'alright, but I'm guessing it'll be much better when it ages for a year or two.

sooo snake oil doesn't really work on me on its own but magically, miraculously, after a year of aging and throwing some pumpkin in the mix: i can wear snake oil!

the pumpkin is warm and spicy and the rich vanilla of the snake oil works so so well with it. this is a gorgeous gorgeous scent that i would wear basically any time of year. YUM.

I missed getting this during Halloween season last year, but I got it during Yules, which means it's been sitting on my aging box for almost a year. Today, I finally tested it! I had high hopes because Snake Oil is fantastic on me, and I love Pumpkin Princess and Pumpkin Patch 2 from 2007. This should be *awesome*. Testing conclusion: OMG WASH IT OFF. The spices burn, and the scent turns into, like, celery. I *could* wear it in a scent locket, but I have a Clocket, and I just never bother with it any more. If I can't wear it directly on my skin, I don't wear it. Sadly, this will have to be rehomed.

In the bottle - Pretty dead on. Snake Oil with some pumpkin thrown in.

Wet - The spice is really coming out to swing from the pumpkin rafters. Oh, and there’s some crazy strong sillage. My folks could smell it as soon as I walked into the room, and I only put one drop on each wrist. The spices really dominate; my dad thought I was burning a candle or incense or something.

Drydown - My god, I love this. I mean, I knew I would. The pumpkin isn’t juicy/buttered/vegetableish/dessertlike … it’s simply a warm and happy pumpkin, similar to the one from Theme in Yellow. Anyway, the friendly sweetness of the Snake Oil vanilla keeps everything from going over the edge of the pumpkin spice cliff, and this blend continues to wow me at every turn. This just skyrocketed to my top 10. Maybe even my top 5.

Verdict - I’m a pumpkin kind of girl, and this is the perfect sexy pumpkin spice kind of scent. Hoard.

This scent started off all pumpkin spice. The classic BPAL pumpkin spcie scent that is more cinnamon and sweetness then actual pumpkin. But the pumpkin is there too. I actually didn't get much Snake Oil at all. It had low throw and short staying power. It was delicious though just not the snake oil with a touch of pumpkin pie which is what I wanted. This was all pumpkin pie spice and not much else. I would've hung onto it for aging but I wasn't as impressed as I was by Gingerbread Snake so I let this one go.

This doesn't smell like Snake Oil on me (which is fine, I guess, because Snake Oil smells pretty bad on me, and is the same fresh or aged for years on end). It's just a bunch of buttery cinnamon. Pure pumpkin spice scent.

Aging seems to have treated this decant well. There's no back-and-forth between the Snake Oil and the pumpkin, it's one seamless blend of buttery, spicy, sweet pumpkin Snake Oil. It's a bit more powdery than Snake Oil usually is, but I don't know if that's me or the scent association I get from this that brings me back to my grandparents' apartment, baked goods and old-fashioned cosmetics and the Tabu perfume that was my nana's signature scent. There's less vanilla in here than with regular Snake Oil, probably because the pumpkin does the job just as well.

Very yummy and long-lasting, a decant I will treasure.