Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

There's all manner of shenanigans in this year's pumpkin patch! Pumpkin'ized hybrids of GC BPAL scents abound!

As if Samhain couldn't get any better, along comes this. I die. :thud: Samhain already has a pumpkin note, but this is Samhain meets the Great Pumpkin meets ultimate autumnal-scent bliss. Like the other 'Patch blends, the pumpkin note is warm, creamy and lightly spiced enough so it adds some warmth but doesn't amp to the high heavens on my notoriously spice-amping skin. Because the original does have spices of its own, this one is slightly spicier than the other pumpkins but not insanely so. Samhain's patchouli, apple and woods are still very much pleasant, just subtler. If the original Samhain is Halloween after nightfall, I'd say this is Halloween during the day. Maybe it's the golden quality of the pumpkin, or maybe the additional sweetness added by it (though it doesn't get anywhere near cloying). Kind of like Samhain with a slice of pumpkin pie on the side. I love them both to death.

In the bottle: Samhain, but with extra pumpkin--not fresh and foody, but more like drying vines and gourds.

Wet: Much as on cold sniff, but not so sweet & spicy as Samhain by itself.

The dry-down: Amazing morpher! This has done a 180 degree turn-- the sweet & spices have amped a bit, and the pumpkin has turned into something like fresh baking pumpkin, but not w/ the buttery crust of a pumpkin pie. Horde-worthy, and I want a back-up. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

I could never wear Samhain, no matter how beautiful it smelled in the bottle/decant. It was just too much for me.

This though... this, I could wear. On the rare day when autumn's chill finally touches us, and the trees have given all their leaves that are lying crisp and brown on the ground, and I can see my breath hang in the air... when I want a scent that's deep and dry and lovely, then I will put on Samhain in the Pumpkin Patch.

It is the tempered sister of Samhain: less all-consuming and less dark. It is emerging from Samhain's dark woods to suntouched trees and a warm house full of pumpkin pie and inviting, golden light.

Magnificent.

I LOVE original Samhain, but never got much pumpkin out of it. Samhain on me is a dark, apple orchard.

This is a perfect scent to switch off with the original, it's warmer. I can see why people would think of this as daytime Samhain but for me the difference is in temperature of the scent, if that makes any sense.

The buttery note that can go foul on me in jack is not here. It's warm, spiced pumpkin pie in an autumn forest. <3 <3

SAMHAIN IN THE PUMPKIN PATCH

I have such a love/hate relationship with Samhain. Sometimes I adore it, and sometimes it turns into the funkiest funk on me. My bottle is super aged (2006!), and I get no apples or pumpkins from it at all.

This year's Pumpkin Patch version is really lovely. The first time I applied, it began to get a plasticky note which was very worrisome; today, though, it smelled much better. This is classic Samhain (wet October leaves and an indefinable dark spice), with way more pumpkin, which softens it up considerably. I like it very, very much.

Alas: I think Snakes In the PP spoiled me for any other PP scents, much as plain old Snake Oil (and its children) have ruined all other hair glosses and bath oils, LOL. Not really, but once I smell SO (and its children), nothing else can really compare.

In closing, I'd say that if you haven't tried the classic Samhain, you should - and try this one, too. And if you have given up on classic Samhain as being too heavy or just "too much", give this a whirl. You may find it much more wearable.

I love Samhain and was hoping that it would be a winner for me with the addition of pumpkin. But I've had this on for a couple of hours now and it's not really working for me. I don't detect the Samhain that I know and love, just a bunch of spice and pumpkin. It reminds me strongly of Pumpkin I from last year (which I just re-tried a day or so ago). Super spicy pumpkin, sort of a craft store potpourri vibe. It isn't as super loud as Pumpkin I but it's pretty close.

I will re-try this later and update if it changes. It may just need time to settle and blend :unsure:

I'm really hoping this sharp, almost chemical bitter note I'm smelling ages out, because this is a lovely dark scent otherwise. I think the pumpkin is sweetening this a bit, though I am not overly familiar with the original scent, but the herbs are still very dark and right now a bit bitter.

Holding out that my decant will age, given that many people with Samhain is better with aging, but not getting a full bottle.

I love Samhain a lot so this was a no-brainer for me. Samhain and pumpkin marry perfectly and this is definitely one of my favourites out of this year's pumpkin patch. It encapsulates the scent of autumn so perfectly that I just can't find the words to express it. It's mainly pumpkin, red apple and spice on me, which is a real treat. It's also lasts for hours and has amazing through. Yummy and delicious and delightful.

In the bottle: Spice, multiple spices, like clove and cinnamon, mixed with a bit of apple. Like a heavily spiced apple pie with a cinnamon sauce.

Wet on my skin: The apple goes away and hints of pumpkin come out.

Dry on my skin: It is a mix of Thanksgiving desserts of my childhood. As a teen I was the one that made dessert for Thanksgiving and it was always pumpkin pie and apple pie. This scent on me is the perfect mix of the two as if they were baked in one pie, and dripped in a bit of cream.

I think I am the only one here that has not tried Samhain so I had no idea what I was in for. In fact I bought this for a friend but now I am thinking of keeping it for myself.

This is exactly what I had hoped it would be! Samhain is a scent that I long to love, but on my skin there is a medicinal note that overrides everything else in it. Adding the additional pumpkin (and I assume more spice) tones down that medicinal note into the wearable Halloween scent I have always wanted. I agree that this is more wearable, as a slightly toned down version of Samhain. This is absolutely perfect, and I'm so glad that I caved and bought two blind bottles while waiting for my decants to arrive. Since I know that Beth doesn't often like to repeat herself, I will probably order more bottles to keep a stash of this one on hand for a long time, as I'm also sure that it will age into even more perfection.

Spices, patchouli and pumpkin. This smells like an ultra spicy, ultra pumpkin type of Samhain.

I have an odd relationship with Samhain. I think my favorite release was 2005, as the others have all contained a note that simply doesn't work for me. This pumpkin version of Samhain softens the woodsy aspects a bit, and brings out some creaminess and sweetness to all the spice.

Definitely very autumnal, and a great variation on the Samhain blend.

In the imp: Pecans and cinnamon and brown sugar. I think I'm getting some of that pumpkin, too. I've never been much of a fan of pumpkin desserts, but I think I could give these a whirl.

Wet on skin: You know, I'm not sure what it is I'm getting here, but I like it! Woods and patchouli and spice, andI'm definitely getting a bit of pumpkin mixed in here.

Dried down: Pecan and patchouli. There's a little bit of floral there, too.

Throw: Not much.

Verdict: **** This is actually very nice. The woods aren't overwhelming, and are lightened by the spices and nuts. I have to admit, I haven't tried the regular Samhain yet, but I may have to seek some out.

Samhain with a sugary,candied pumpkin feel. Not as dark and heady as the original

Samhain. I am a fan of the original, it truly is the "scent of autumn itself". Samhain

in the Pumpkin Patch is a lovely rendition of this fabulous earthy autumn fragrance.

This patch is my favorite patch in the history of patchs!

The throw is lighter than the original Samhain's. Poenari called it a "wearable Samhain",

indeed this is a great every day fall scent.

Edited by Rshields

I adore the original Samhain, so I have high hopes for this, especially based on the other reviews. At first sniff, it's definitely my deep, dark Samhain but there's this golden glow to it. As others have said, it's glowing midday autumn vs. autumn in the dead of night. I don't really get much of the pumpkin or the spices I usually get with pumpkin blends and I like that. It's unique. I get the impression of warm sun filtering through the colorful leaves. This is the day to the night, the slightly unseasonable warmth of a sunny day instead of cool dark night with a bite of frost. I'm pretty much in love.

Samhain in the Pumpkin Patch is pretty much everything I'd hope it would be. The first sniff from the bottle scared me. It was like cloyingly sweet pumpkin booze. Once applied, it becomes less sweet and more complicated. I sniff deeply and smell apple, spices and dry woods all simmering underneath creamy (but not too foody) pumpkin. I wish I could detect any patch or fir like I do in the original Samhain but it's still gorgeous and definitely embodies Autumn delights.

Wet on Skin: Like a softer Samhain with a bit of extra pumpkin. It is far warmer than the original and less patchouli heavy. I am finding that the spices-quality in the scents is becoming more apparent in this pumpkin patch version. Also, this one is slightly sweeter than the original Samhain.

Dry on Skin: The patchouli blooms more on my skin as it tends to do with my skin chemistry and now this smells almost exactly like Samhain, but only slightly slightly softer. Almost like Samhain which has been aged for a few months.

Overall: Well, on me this smells almost exactly like Samhain. I think if you found the original Samhain to be too harsh, then I would suggest giving this a go. As for me, I always get a bottle of Samhain every year because it is my all time favorite scent (I go through about half a bottle of it each winter/fall which is really crazy for me) so I won't be needing a bottle of this! I'll keep a hold of the decant though just because it is Samhain :)

I really like Samhain, and have been contemplating a bottle for a year or so. This to me, is not like Samhain, just a mishmash of spices, maybe a bit stronger than the Snake Oil in the PP, but still just basically pumpkin and spice.

In the bottle - Apple, spices and smoke, essentially Samhain

Wet on me - A sharp slightly acrid furniture polish type scent, with an undercurrent of the fruits and spices of Samhain

Dry on me - A warm caramelly sweet smoky wood scent

Overall - Once settled down this reminds me so much of Hearth 2005, which is one of my favourite ever yules

can you GET more halloweenie than samhain- IN A PUMPKIN PATCH?!

the warm, delicious pumpkin softens the intensely spicy, woodsy samhain and makes this autumn in a bottle. 9 months of aging means that the fir and the spices have mellowed.

samhain has lost some of its outdoorsiness. instead of being in the wild forest, you're in a cozy glowing cabin in the wild forest, baking a pumpkin pie. it's a little creamy, a little sweet and still a lot of spice. it's very, very nice and a MUST HAVE for fall.

Edited by porcelina

Wet: dry leaves and smoke.

Drying: still leaves and smoke, something spicy too. I am impressed at how much I can pick up the dry leaves. Wait, there's nuts here? Burnt pecans or something similar.

Dry: no more spices, sadly. What is it with spices and them disappearing on my skin? *grumpy face* This retains the smoky quality throughout, and it's not sweet at all. Very autumnal and true to the name, though: I would describe it as a very dry, brownish red perfume. Staying power is not exceptional.

Buttery-sweet pumpkin with the perfect autumn fir/spices/patchouli underlayer. Yum yum yum.

Edited by gingiemay

In the imp - Very dark. I’m a little hesitant about this one since Samhain doesn’t play well with my skin.

Wet - Ooof. The patchouli is killing me so I’m guessing this blend leans more Samhain than pumpkin. I'll just have to wait this stage out.

Drydown - No miraculous 180 for me. Yes, it evened out some, but I’m still not sure it’s something I could wear without a headache. It’s far better than original Samhain though. And STRONG.

Verdict - I’ll have to test again to see if it stays. If anyone out there loves autumn scents but can’t wear Samhain, you might want to give this blend a shot. It’s much easier on the ol’ skin chemistry.

Edited by hammy

This starts out as delicious pumpkin and spice but as it dries down it turnes all apple all day on my skin. Which was just TOO much apple for me. My skin doesn't like it very much. But it starts out so good. Very sad. Love the adorable label too.

I thought that I'd like Samhain with some foodie notes amped up, but this smells like dusty cinnamon potpourri on me and a hint of cheap patchouli incense. Really strange. Samhain 2004 and Samhainophobia 2006 are still my favorites in the Samhain family.

Oh wow now THIS is what the cheesy 90's halloween smells like!! I'm pleasantly surprised, but I had to give this a try, I LOVE

Samhain but the lab's pumpkin note I'm never sure about, but here it's very in your face- but Samhain accompanies it very well.

On my skin, it amps up the spices and apple at first, but after a good couple of minutes, Samhain starts to fade to the background a bit. I'm not sure if I'm bothered by it, seeing how the spices are not as in your face now anymore either.

It's also giving me major themepark-on-halloween vibes, which is, a good thing in this case. Running through a corn maze at twilight.
I haven't been a fan of any "tarty" scents of BPAL so far but this is something I'd sink my teeth in. Mmmm.

Happyhappyhappy scent. So warm and fuzzy. Definately contemplating whether I need a bottle of this in the future.