Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
violetblue

Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending

BUTTERFLIES, FLOWERS, AND JEWELS ATTENDING
Take the Fair Face of Woman, and Gently Suspending,
With Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending,
Thus Your Fairy is Made of Most Beautiful Things

Inspired by the moment in time frozen in this photo - my fairy child, laughing and playing amongst gargantuan flowers. An ethereal, iridescent, twilit scent, sparkling with mystery and innocent joy: white patchouli with provence rose, delicate freesia, pink tuberose, jasmine sambac, orange blossom, butterfly musk, vanilla orchid, and delicate spices.

I joined a decant circle for the Lilith blends because I wanted them all, but after reading the reviews, I knew this would be a bottle purchase unsniffed and glad I thought so - I ordered 9/18 and got it today! Now for the review: sophisticated and one of the more commercial smelling BPALs which there aren't a lot of to my nose - and I don't mean it in a negative way at all. I think A LOT of people will like this one, as it's edgy but still not something that a person might freak on and think it's too strong or headshoppy (patchouli component) or anything like that. I wish I could describe it better, but it's absolutely lovely! Balanced perfectly. :wub2:

ETA No notes stick out for me or make a huge presence, it just blends into one gorgeous scent - I can see people picking this for a signature oil! For anyone wondering, I do not smell rose at all.

ETA2: I figured out what this reminds me a bit of- Eternity for Women by CK. The description of that perfume is: A contemporary floral bouquet of freesia, white lily, narcissus and sandalwood.

My favorite of the Lilith scents this year. Very well-blended and pretty. It actually reminds me of Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, but a version that I can actually wear without getting a headache. None of the notes really jump out on me, and it doesn't morph much; it's the same beautiful scent from beginning to end, lovely throughout. Definitely a bottle purchase for me.

This is really, really pretty. I can't usually wear anything that jasmine has been near but my nose doesn't detect it at all. It's all just one flawlessly well blended perfume. Something about it reminds me of Morocco for some reason. They aren't really all that similar, but they both give me the same type of impression.

This is a very nice floral - doesn't go powdery or soapy on me which I think is thanks to the patchouli and spices.

It also reminds me of a favorite perfume of mine, Flowerbomb (notes: Sambac Jasmine, Centifolia Rose, Cattleya Orchid, Ballerina Freesia, Patchouli). So basically, I have found the perfect BPAL replica of that scent and it's cheaper. A win-win for me.

OMG MisaMisa01 completely hit the nail on the head. This is a PERFECT replica of Flowerbomb. I tried to wear Flowerbomb but got a HUGE headache and my sinuses basically exploded in the middle of a mall (uhm embarrassing). I was completely heartbroken and whimpering at the Flowerbomb ads that would occasionally cross my path.

Beth, thank you for making this scent. There is perfume justice in this world after all.

I could not be happier. Just placed an order for multiple bottles after my 1st testing. :wub2:

ETA: the next morning (yea, today), I could still smell the delicate spices and a bit of jasmine and butterfly musk on my arm. The extended drydown smells more oriental spicy.

I got near the decant and could smell the full-rounded version. The vanilla orchid and jasmine sambac combination keep drawing me back in. Completely intoxicating and I was compelled to immediately apply again. Well blended. Fyi..Flowerbomb and this scent remind me of the awesome smell of a Lush shop pre-2010 (aka before they went all citrus this and citrus that with their new products ;). Their line was more floral, earthy and heady: Sex Bomb, Fever, and Figs & Leaves seemed to be the dominant smells, to me.)

Edited by SophieCedar

Origin: Decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I got to sniff this first at Dragon*Con, but between all the Pumpkins and other scents I couldn't get a really good sniff other than ethereally pretty. Upon reading the notes, I knew I was trying this. If only the rose will behave...

In the Vial: My instant mental image is a girl's toyland. Princess dolls in sparkly jeweled costumes with crowns of flowers riding unicorns. It's flowery, but the musk and spices are there to balance that and create a wonderful blend of sparkle and gold. It's quite possible I'll get a bottle just to enjoy this in a scent locket.

Wet: The musk pops up, which is what musk tends to do to me. But it's staying light enough to make me think it's a white or blue musk variety. There is also the fact that white patchouli seems to be following the musk's lead and not overpowering everything. Now I'm curious as to what a white patchouli single note would smell like and if I could wear it.

Drydown: The flowers are peeking out and so far the rose is behaving. I'm also getting a better impression of the spices, quietly warming up the entire scent. The impression has shifted slightly and those dressed-up princesses are now enjoying a bed with the fluffiest down comforter ever.

Verdict: This is a knocked-outta-the-park winner. I'm definitely getting a bottle, maybe two.

While there are a lot of florals listed here, it's the soft musks that steal the show. "Clean" or "scrubbed" patchouli has been trending in the fragrance industry, and this blend does evoke a similar feeling as the popular scents mentioned above; I'll add Lancôme's ' La Vie Est Belle to the list. However, BF&JA is BPAL!, and melts into my skin with much more quality, warmth, and creaminess. The white patchouli is not vampy or earthy (for those who both love and hate patchouli!) , nor is it as woody as Tom Ford's. This scent is pink, sparkling, sweet, soft, and darling.

Edited by lookingglass

Thoughts before testing: When I saw the note list for this, I immediately put a bottle in my cart. This sounds like it was made for me.

Wet: Delicate floral mish-mash (most strongly of tuberose, but really too well blended to pick anything else out) and a fantastic, amazing patchouli. It's not rooty or earthy or "dirty hippy" it's sophisticated and refined.

Dry down: Still that fabulous patchouli and beautiful florals. This smells beautiful and sophisticated and like Serious Perfume.

Dry: I definitely get the Flowerbomb comparisons, but this is so,so much better. This is one of the best patchoulis I've ever smelled, and the florals are made of nothing but win.

Final thoughts: You know how in the Switch Witch questionnaire, one of the question is always "If Beth created a perfume for you, what would the notes be?" Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels attending is my answer. It's everything I've ever wanted in a perfume. When I wear this, it feels like the very best version of me. This is pretty and feminine, but not girly or saccharine, and smells expensive and refined. This is embarrassingly gushy, but I'm so in love with this it's not even funny. I can count on one hand the number of blends I have backups of, and this one just made the list. I'll be getting at least two more bottles before they go down next month.

Verdict: Hoarding :wub:

The first sniff-test got an "Oh my god!" :thud: reaction from me yesterday, so I knew I needed to do a proper skintest of it for work today. And OH HEAVENS is it really good. Definite bottle purchase. It might even be a multiple bottle purchase if it passes the slather test later.

It falls under the classic "Soft Floriental" category of scent. Very feminine without being girly girl. In a way it reminds me of the commercial scent 'Hot Couture by Givenchy' I wore for years before I discovered Bpal, except this has rose instead of raspberry.*

I think that fans of Under the Harvest Moon, The Unheavenly City, and The Living Flame would like this too - with Under the Harvest Moon being the closest Bpal to it.

[edit] Actually I think it might be Amarige, not Hot Couture that it's reminding me of.

Edited by rawgirl75

Please don't take this the wrong way.

I am a guy, and this perfume so embodies young pretty girlhood, that I feel wrong wearing it! It is a superbly beautiful white floral-orange floral scent with a perfect base of spices and resins. When I wear it it flashes to me unicorns and parties in the backyard with toddler girls and mixed drinks that are really made just of juice.

Then add the reality of me being a man in my thirties and the creepiness factor in my personal situation strikes. It is so wonderfully feminine that I. Just. Can't. Handle. It.

So, please, get this wonderful perfume but it is not unisex! On this gay guy it is so pretty it is disarming.

I find it a little amusing how this scent has been said by so many to be similar to "____" commercial perfume. Because so many people seem gaga over this, I decided to throw in a bottle with my latest order (even though I sniffed it at D*C, I had no memory whether it was yay or nay). I should have listened to my non-floral-liking instincts. While this definitely does not come across as FLORAL, it most certainly comes across as commercial/mainstream smelling. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! I just shy away from those types...just personal reasons I can't really put into words)

rawgirl hit the nail on the head when she said Amarige! If you have ever smelled that scent, I think you will agree. Very expensive smelling, very formal and "fancy" smelling, if it's possible to smell fancy. Anyway, I can't wear this :( so it's off to a much more appreciative home!

Sniff: Bright florals, the freesia stands out to me, with a layer of spices underneath. Definitely a feminine scent.

Wet: Bring on the flowers! These are brilliant blooms, vibrant and fresh, without getting heady. Freesia is still the strongest to me, but I definitely detect a sweet rose and hint of musky jasmine.

Dry: The florals mellow and this scent melts into a lovely vanilla musk, with a soft earthy touch. Very lovely and pretty!

Definitely struck me like Bath and Body Works Sensual Amber or Flowerbomb. Both are scents I enjoy and this smells very much like them. It's sweetish, floriental, and beautiful.

In the decant: Lots of flowers, but something heady and spicy at the bottom of it all.

Wet: Not so spicy now, and the flowers start to meld into a harmonious whole, lightly held in check by the musk and the patch.

The dry-down: The spices provide a gentle bed for the florals, but the mixed flowers dominant, even over the patch and the musk.

In the decant: I can't really detect any specific notes in this, but I definitely see why some people said this was rather commercial smelling. I mainly just smell a medley of florals with an ethereal quality, so it fits the description, and I get the 'sparkling with mystery' part of the description from the initial sniff as well.

Wet: This is the same as it was in the decant. I can't really pick out any specific notes at first, even though I am familiar with some of them. This is very well blended! After a few minutes, the orange blossom seems to become more prominent. The blend is becoming sweeter over time.

The boy thinks this is rather commercial smelling.

Dry: It has... actually managed to stay the same (only much sweeter and mellow). I thought the jasmine sembac, patchouli, and orange blossom might rebel, but that hasn't been the case. Again, this is really well blended, so it's difficult to pick out certain notes!

Verdict: This is lovely, but I'm not really sure that it is 'me' (and the boy doesn't like it). I will keep my decant, but at the moment, I do not feel tempted to get my hands on a bottle.

Edited by dementia_divine

In the vial: floral dominant, with a sweetness in the background.

Wet on skin: As the scent warms, it blooms into a sugared floral. I can imagine a bouquet of fresh blooms dusted in crystallized sugar and sparkling in the sunlight.

Drydown: The spices and vanilla come through much more on the dry down, and yes, these are definitely "delicate" spices. I normally amp spices, and here, it just smells like - well lets just say I do NOT smell like a spice shop. :lol:

This is such a pretty scent, very girly with swirls of pink and purple, with a tough of glitter thrown in for good measure.

Yes, I understand the comparisons to "commercial" perfumes, but I must say this is SO. MUCH. BETTER. If you're debating, just go and get it, you won't be disappointed.

White Patchouli (which I love) with some florals that don't overwhelm my nose. This is really pretty...STRONG, but very pretty!

Vanilla orchid, butterfly musk (which to me smells like lavender musk), swirls of jasmine and rose. This one is soft, cuddly, and floral.

In alot of ways, this reminds me to a non-lavender version of TKO. It's got that same cuddly, warm sugary vanilla + soft florals appeals. It's comforting, sweet, and soothing.

On the very drydown, I get twitches of tuberose, which to me are a discordant note in my skin chemistry. If it weren't for that, I'd be searching for a bottle STAT. Despite that, I still very much like this blend.

Very well balanced-- I'm happy that I dont amp any one floral component here. Having said that, I dont think I get any patchouli at all, so this doesnt have a lot of grounding and it approaches high-pitched at times. But that musk is a saving grace; it makes the blend feel comfy rather than up-tight. I'll wear this when I want to feel feminine and soft.

This is stupid beautiful. If you've read the "GO GET THIS NOW" reviews and thought, "but will it really work on me?" probably yes. It's amazing.

It definitely does have a commercial vibe, but not in an overwhelming or bad way at all. I can't wear commercial scents anymore, and I've been wearing this constantly. It's sweet floral, the way a butterfly garden is sweet floral, and very well blended.

It's also extremely consistent; I've worn this at the height of my monthly cycle and it smelled exactly the same as it does the rest of the time. It lasts all day, although by the end of the day it's faded to something softer and a bit more vanillaic.

It's just lovely. Ethereal and lovely. I bought a bottle less than 24 hours after trying the decant, then demanded that my best friend take the rest of my decant (I'd only purchased a half decant of each Lilith, so at that point it was only 1-2 uses left) and try it. She's much less likely to buy a full sized BPAL bottle than I am, but she bought one after very little time too. We also don't have particularly similar BPAL tastes/love notes.

I can definitely see some people rejecting this for not matching their personalities - it's quite feminine and light (as in sparkling sunlight, not faint smelling) and not at all dirty or spicy, so if you strictly like your scents to be deep, dark or masculine, you might not have a place for this in your treasure chest. But if it sounds like it even might appeal to you, track some down. There's a REALLY good chance you won't be disappointed.

ETA: I agree with ObliqueRed that it's reminiscent of a much more wearable Coco Mademoiselle.

Edited by aphrodite

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is sugary floral, like a cousin of Midnight on the Midway. Drying, it starts to smell like a musky, feminine cologne with a sugary topnote. I can't make out any individual notes, but I must say that this is absolutely lovely.

This is a very pretty, very sweet floral scent that I think captures the photo Beth used quite magnificently.

Not my sort of thing at all, but really lovely for those who enjoy sweet florals.

In the imp: Soft, sweet and floral. It kind of reminds me of baby powder, but... more floral.

Wet on skin: The floral went slightly strawberry on me in the throw, but it's a little sharper when I sniff my wrists - I get a bit more of the patchouli and roses.

Dried down: I may have put on a bit too much of this, as it's getting a little strong for me, but my skin is soaking it up, and I wanted it to stay "wet" long enough to do the wet stage review properly. The flowers are still a bit sharp, but the scent has a very delicate, sweet edge to it that reminds me of strawberries and flowers.

Throw: At the moment, the throw is a little overwhelming, but I think I put on too much. I'm getting a teeny it of rubbing alcohol in it.

Verdict: **** 1/* Actually, this is probably a 5, except for the sharpness and strength of the throw. Note to self - buy a bottle, and make it really last. I don't think I need much of this at a time.

Update: This is definitely a 5. I just need to remember not to slather it on.

Edited by Magycmyste

Offcorse this one could have never ever in my whole life go wrong on my skin :P

It is GORGEOUS !!! I am totally in love with the combo of fressia and tuberose and jasmine and vanilla orchid

These are all my favorite BPAL notes, they truly are !!!

I would love more of this but they are already gone and I have more then 11 Lilith's so it is okay I guess ;)

I will use this ottle up up up :lol:

My new favorite Lilith I suppose and yes, it DOES smell like warehouse perfume but the GOOD one, like Dior or Lancome

(I like them)

i knew this smelled reminiscent of a commercial perfume, and Ondine hit it on the head with the BBW sensual amber. it reminds me a lot of that, but it's softer and more flowery. it's a bit too strong for my personal tastes, it has a lot of throw. the spices really amp up the florals on my skin. it's not a bad scent or anything, it's just not my cup of tea.