Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gwydion

skekNa the Slave-Master

skekNa the Slave-Master
The essence of vile gluttony: an abundance of spices, sweet cakes, thick creams, and opulent liqueurs mixed with the scent of whip leather and rusted padlocks.

In bottle: A little overwhelming in the bottle. It’s as if the liqueurs have slightly curdled the cream. I blame the rum I strongly suspect is the dominant note. The spices are lovely and blending well with both liqueur and cream as well as tying them together with the soft cake background. The leather and rust form a second faction in counterpoint to the dominant foodie faction. On further consideration, it might be one of these pulling the cream slightly off. The leather is the stronger of the two in this faction, but the rust is dancing with the spice in some interesting ways. I’m not convinced it works in bottle, but my fingers are crossed for how it smells on skin. Wet: Still liqueur dominant, but softer and sweeter on the skin as the cake is now strong enough to smooth the edges. The cream is purer now, so it’s disentangled from whatever was throwing it off. The spices are softer, but continue to tie things together. The cream and spices melt into the leather accord around the edges and the metallics fade into an accent. As it wears, the spices move to dominance as the liqueurs settle down. This is when it really starts to work for me, though I think there may be a scootch too much rum. Dry: Mostly spice over a sweet wash of cake and liqueur.

Hmmm... this one is strange. In the bottle it's all booze and padlocks. It goes to my head a little and threatens to give me a bit of a headache. It sort of even turns my stomach a little... sorta worried here :eek:

Wet on the skin, it seems much lighter now. It's morphed into just a very subtle spice. The booze is undetectable, the metallic note seems to get sort of lost in the spice.

This doesn't really come off as creamy ot cakey to me, at least not yet. And I can't find the leather anywhere at all. It almost has a generic holiday spice feel to it which I didn't really expect from this, but then I didn't really know to expect to begin with at all and was just super excited for some Dark Crystal smellies.

Maybe I should let this rest since it's fresh from the mail box...

Fruity, boozy, S&M cakes :lol: I get some spices, some bright fruit, and some booze with an effervescent quality. I don't really get rust or leather on me. Damn, that bubbly quality is ruining this for me. Champagne notes don't work on me, that note ruined Geek.Goth for me, it ruined Gnome for me... Bah. People that like it though, it's a nice foody, fruity scent with just a little darkness.

weird is the best word I have for this scent.

it's heady, kinda sweet, with a yellowish bite

after a few minutes I think I get some leather, but it is yellowed-sour

This is a very complicated and strong scent. In the bottle it's just a tad too much...something. My nose was hit with a bunch of different smells all at once. It was a bit hard to take.

On my skin the scents all seem to make their appearance and step back in line to form the scent itself.

I smell "spices" and the only two I can really pick out are clove and ginger. The rest just seem a bit like kitchen spices. The cream shows up and goes really sweet. Almost like condensed milk. I am getting a bit of baked cakes, also picking up on a very faint honey note. The honey note turns into a sort of beer-ish mead smell and then much harder booze shows up. I usually like liquor smells but I'm not digging this.

I faintly get metal-ish something and no leather unfortunately. And unfortunately the metal note seems out of place with this gourmand scent.

This isn’t a love sadly. :(

SKEKNA

In the Imp: Hmm. Not as foody as I hoped. It's like cakey air freshener.

Wet: Sweeter on skin, not as air freshener-like. More perfumey than gourmand though.

Drydown: This is very odd indeed. I was expecting super-sweet, overwhelming foodiness, but instead, it's seriously air-freshener like o.o. It actually smells exactly like a frankincense&myrrh fragrance oil I once bought.

Verdict: It's not awful, but I am a little disappointed. I might have to try this again another time.

2.5/5

Edited for mistakes.

Edited by welcometothefamily

Fruity, cakey, leather?

This one smells strongly of spices, and cake and dash of fruity booze, plastered over leather.

Airy and sweet, like spiced whipped cream. Subtle thread of alcohol. I'm really having trouble getting a hold of this one, I think I was expecting it to be darker? It's light, both mood-wise and on my skin. Hrrrmm.

In the bottle - Pickled beetroot

Wet on me - Smoky incense with still I think pickled beetroot beneath it

Dry on me - A surprisingly soft clean metallic scent

Overall - I found the initial pickled scent really off putting

Spice and something fruity at first. It reminds me of a spicy bubblegum. Dry, more spice. Not getting the cake at all, just a slightly fruity berry-like spice. Not really my thing.

In the imp- BOOZE! Like, this really felt like I was smelling some hard sweet spirits.

On the skin: Spicy, boozy, with a hint of metal and leather in the background.

Letting it sit a while...it's a bit unexpected, but to me this smells so much like a strong Chirstmas candle. A cinnamon, clove warm spicyness and boozy cider with a slight sweet creaminess to it. I get lots of gluttony and not much slave-mastering :)

Not sure how often I will reach for this, but I am going to keep it around for now. It is quite different from anything else that I have, and I like having lots of options!

Edited by girlryan

I had to try this, because CAKE!

Sadly, I don't get any of the lab's glorious cake note from this. What I do get is pretty good though! The main note on me is the Lab's effervescent ginger note, the same one from Gnome. It's sweeter than Gnome though, and I do get hints of something really creamy, as well as faint hints of leather. It's nice, but I already have Gnome, and as this is quite similar on me, I can't see needing more.

In the bottle: Boozy gourmand blended with leather

Wet: Leather with a hint of cakes & rum

As it dries, it turns into leather leather LEATHER with a hint of something metallic. I only had it on for about two hours before I showered (for non-perfume-related reasons), so it didn't get a chance to really dry and morph on my skin, but the leather was still going strong right up until the shower-soapy end.

I think maybe I amp leather.

I so wanted this to smell like leather and spice cake with vanilla cream. This is a strange, metallic, chemical smell though.
It reminds me of hairspray in aluminum cans, sort of musky-chemical and brightly, sharply metallic. A weird sweetness creeps in, but it's not foodie, cakey or creamy sweetness. It's like a metallic, sickly rusty sweetness. As it dries down, I wonder if there's vetiver in this, because I'm smelling the variety that's reminiscent of charred mesquite bbq smoke and sweet bbq sauce. Mixed with sharp, chemical hairspray and metal.
This is really bad and gives me a headache from the sharp chemical smell... absolutely no cake or cream.

Edited by Little Bird

Bottle: Neglected bachelor pad's fridge's old cream.

Wet on Skin: RUST. Like, lol. Whatever she used for "rust" is suuuper potent wet for me.

Dry on Skin: Oh hi there Vetiver. I hate you Vetiver. Did you know that? You're in my scent hates, sir. You're not supposed to be here.

The drydown after initial is a little crazy for me. I'm going to have to come back after wearing for a few more hours... but it went from VETIVER FEARS, to LEATHER OMG. To a tempered blend of spices and leather.

I'm thinking if my skin wasn't odd this blend really could be awesome. I'm not sure what the "spices" and "liqueurs" are, but they add these interesting moments of really layered, beautiful, RICH scent. Sometimes it smells almost fizzy. Like I've smelled that before... the BPAL Gin? But mixed with Leather and cake and this is just a weird morpher for me. It doesn't seem to settle into one place and establish it's identity.

Overall it's incense-esq with a steady leather and/or vetiver background. With these effervescent pops of scent, either rust or mystery fizz. It's one to try for fun. I could see the more masculine-spectrum members really liking it. Maybe an atmospheric as well.

Edited by Aveya

Not sure if skekNa knows what skekNa wants in life. 

Wet: Off the bat this is a rather confusing scent. I initially pick up scents of spices, some sort of twisted sweets that aren’t fresh, and some form of leather. Not a heavy note of leather but a faint, thin strip of leather. 

Everything in this mingles together in such a way that it’s rather difficult to pick up certain notes. I believe the spices of scent of liqueurs are so intertwined that I cannot pick out one from the other definitively. 

The throw is short to medium. It does like to stay close on me all the same. 

Dry: As it starts to dry, I swear there is a hint of rust that pokes through. I get more of a scent of the spice and soft leather. Something vaguely sweet pokes its head through now. There’s an older scent to this. Something weathered and sated in current times. 

There are scraps of sweet cakes, remnants of heavy creams, and dried liqueurs that give way to something cold (the metal padlocks) and that leathery scent. It does soften after several hours and I get more sweet spices. 

After 5 hours it maintains  a nice throw to it and has not been eaten by my skin much. It has mellowed out some now and is even more interesting and pleasant!

Still on the low to medium throw end for me. 

Final thoughts: I do not hate this scent. It’s so interesting and unique. I find myself constantly sniffing it on myself trying to figure it out. There are more spice notes that come out with some leather backing it up but I can’t seem to pluck out all the individual scents however. This is not a bad thing, but speaks to how it blends. 

I will have to do more repeat wears to be able to say definitely if I love it or not. Right now I view it favorably especially as it softens after a handful of hours. 

The more it settles on my skin the more I find myself enjoying it. This could also be a touch of Stockholms syndrome for the skekNa. 

Edited by Mister Azure
Wear update

Received as a frimp decant in a swap. 

In the decant: Sweet spices and a note that's not cake or cream or leather. You could convince me it's the metal in the padlocks, though. 

On my skin:

Wet, yeah, it's a sweetness that's muddled. Cream and metal for sure. At this stage, it's odd. Not outright unpleasant but not pleasant, either. 

As it dries... there is a Mad Tea Party scent... Rocking Horse Fly? Bread and Butter Fly?... that smells like rum raisin on me. This smells a lot like that. Given a little more time to develop, the leather comes out, so now it's rum raisin leather, which is honestly a little nicer than just rum raisin since the leather provides a good non-foodie grounding note for me. 

This is not bad, but it's definitely underwhelming on me.