Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
boomtownrat

skekTek the Scientist

skekTek the Scientist
Metal and stone beams of dark light: hyssop, black currant, black viola, passionflower, and myrrh.

When it's in the bottle and wet on my skin, I get very little but black viola from SkekTek. As long as I apply sparingly it doesn't actually make me feel sick, unlike its cousin violet. Wearing more than a dab on one wrist rubbed into both wrists would be too much. Getting it anywhere above the elbows would be asking for nausea and a crippling headache.

Eventually myrrh swirls into the mix and there's a hint of what must be passionflower. Myrrh dominates the blend after it's been on my skin for close to an hour and it starts smelling more like a scent I can wear. At around the same time I notice a hint of sweet black currant. By the time two hours have passed, myrrh and black currant are more prominent than anything else because the floral notes have faded. Gentle hyssop never stood a chance against the other notes on me.

Just a little dab on one wrist packs a powerful throw, especially while it's wet. For the first hour it's very much what people mean when they describe a scent as heady. Eventually it stops shouting and becomes much more wearable for me, but I will reserve this for nights out and hope that the black viola note will mellow with age. I think it could work well on goth night. If you'll be in close proximity to other people, think about applying this at least an hour before you'll be near them.

My brain sees black and deep purple when I smell this, with slivers of acid green while it's still wet. In other words, this could have been called Maleficent.

In the imp and wet on my skin, the first thing I get is the delicious passionflower. It smells more like the fruit to me and whoa it's FANTASTIC. Every other blend with passion fruit/flower has had another note or combination of notes that ruined it for me. I'm hoping this one lasts! Passionflower is slightly sour and I can see why it would be a turnoff for many, but I love it. It smells tropical and lush. I can smell a little of the delicacy of the hyssop and just a touch of myrrh, but no more than a touch which is very good because too much myrrh is bad news on me. As it warms, I get sugar-dusted lush flowers. These are not proper garden flowers, this are big, showy, heady jungle blooms. I may need a bottle :wub2:

This is very heady and very purple. Both wet and dry it is seamlessly blended and I can't tell when one note ends and another begins. It gives an overall impression of opulence, like a room heaped with purple velvet and silk cushions and full of expensive incense, and is completely overpowering, definitely a night time going out blend.

This is a heady, purple, fruit filled scent. Decadent sweet fruit picked at the peak of ripeness and given to the scum of the earth to eat and smack in front of you while you are starving, in chains, and having to kneel before them. This image is evocative...and sticks with you. I am going to have to rewatch the Dark Crystal to see if any of this imagery is in the movie.

UNF.

Skektek you are delicious! On wet, you are a giant hit of passionflower/fruit. In fact, just change your name to passionflower SN. Please.

As you dry, I get hints of blackcurrant (which pairs well with your fruitiness), and brings out that purple tinge to the blend. There's a touch of viola, and some sweetness from the myrrh.

But to me, you are the STRONGEST PASSION FRUIT SMELLING BPAL EVER.

And thus, I must worship at your altar.

And buy myself a bottle. STAT!

The fruit is very strong in this. It's a tropical myrrh resin, although pretty quiet on the myrrh. There is a floral background but it doesn't really strike me as a violet scent. On me this starts going really weird, but I blame the passionflower, as this goes the way of most tropical scents on me - delicious initially and then kind of funky after a long drydown. Hours later this is still a touch fruity, but more like, orange rind, or the memory thereof.

I don't... really get science out of this, unless the scientist is clearly on a tropical beach.

In the bottle - A tart black fruit with a light green overtone

Wet on me - Definitely the blackcurrant coming through with a light green herbal undertone

Dry on me - A clean soapy scent with a hint of blackcurrant

Overall - I have a feeling I would like this on a man, but it's not me

At first, lots of currant and a touch of myrhh. I love the sharpness of black currant, and this is quite pretty. Dries down much the same, but fades pretty fast, though this could be because I have a slight cold. I don't think I need anymore.

This is my definite favorite of the Dark Crystal series, though the sweet, tropical, fruity feel doesn't remind me of Dark Crystal or make me think science at all. I really love black currant and myrrh, especially mixed together, so that makes me immediately happy. The combination is sweet, dark and sensual. The passionflower and black viola are big, heady, lush tropical blooms, and the whole thing is rather juicy smelling on my skin. It's very distinctive, juicy, tropical and fruity for about 45 minutes, and then starts drying down into a clean, kind of more perfumey, slightly powdery, tropical floral with hints of fruit. It fades quickly after that, but I do enjoy the opening.

A leisure life of science. 

Wet: Something sweet comes through with this. Sweet and floral which i can only guess is the passionflower and I think the myrrh. The black currant plays a very good background support note here that keep this scent pleasant. The throw is rather short however. But still pleasant. 

Dry: I get a subtle hint of something dense/deep but it is laired with the sweet floral scent from the passionflower and myrrh. The black current makes this blend well into the skin that has me smirking each time I catch a whiff of it. It’s rather light and playful as science should be. 

Final thoughts: This is a rather pleasant scent with a short throw. It has a flora sweet scent to it that is not overbearing with an oppressive vibe like some of the others Dark Crystal scents are that I have tried. This is almost like a tropics scent on me. It edges in wanting to go powdery but pulls back before getting to that point. It keeps being light and playful. 

I could see myself wearing this in the office when I want something pleasant but not too strong that it may be offensive to others. I did find that the cats do not like this scent as I do. 

I don’t think I’ll get a full bottle of this but is was still nice to try as a decant.