Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
khazakant

Autumn earth and burning leaves

I was playing a game recently and one of the characters is mentioned to smell like autumn earth and the smoke that comes from burning leaves. It stuck in my mind a little and now I would like a fragrance that's something like this. I guess it would be smoke, earth, and leaves all at once. Is there a single scent like this, or evocative of this, or maybe suggestions for layering? Thanks for the help.

burning book single note (to me) is some of this scent - but that one may be hard to track down.

witch dance, from last years halloweenies, may be right up your alley:

Bonfire smoke rising through a cloud of ceremonial incense, encircled by swirling autumn leaves and a dribble of blood red musk.

you could layer that with something earthy, maybe one of the recent patchouli single notes, to get what you're looking for.

you're really asking at a perfect time...the 2013 weenies should hit any day now, and there are generally some scents in the weenies (that sounds dirty?) with bonfire/wood smoke notes. and they are lovely! :)

Bonfire Night is a previously released Halloweenie that is all smoke and burning leaves to my nose, although that is not at all like the description. It came back last year, so I don't know if it will return again so soon. But my all time favorite is Death of Autumn. It was also a Halloween scent, from back in 2007, but I see it show up on forum sales now and then. As it has aged, the smoke has deepened and it smells exactly like a pile of burning leaves to me. :wub2:

To my nose, Chant d'Automne (The scent of the year's fall and the setting sun, ominous and foreboding: dried leaves, charred wood, blood musk, amber, khus, and Nicotiana tabacum.) from 2008 is just that sort of smell - earthy and smokey and leafy and cool with no warmth or spice or floral or anything else to detract from that perfect, evocative scent. It's one of my absolute favorite autumnal scents (one of my favorites, period, to be honest). I think it might be something worth checking out for you!

Witch dance is very autumnal. It's incensy, smoky, sweet fall air/fallen leaves smell, and sweet from the red musk. It's gorgeous!

Another one is Samhain. It smells like fall. Cool spicy leafy fall air.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. Is there anything in the GC I should try, or wait and see what's there when the Halloweenies go up?

The one that immediately came to mind when I read your post was Halloween: Los Angeles. It's from a few years back but it really captures that dry-leaves-in-a-bonfire smell: a strange incense of burning brush, junegrass, tumbleweeds, chaparral, and wild sage. Shouldn't be that hard to track down at least a decant of it. Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned October! Dry, cold autumn wind. A rustle of red leaves, a touch of smoke and sap in the air. It tends to reappear every year or every other year, depending. As a fall-scent junkie it's one of my personal favorites. Other past LEs you may want to check out (all find-able):

Autumn and Winter: bitter currant and dry leaves, winter wind at dusk.

The Death of Autumn: dark amber, dead leaves, khus, saffron, bitter clove, chrysanthemum, camellia, galangal, and a drop of oud

Meditation in Autumn: dusty, bleak, and withered: old wood, burnt brown sandalwood, and twisted vines

Samhainophobia: Haitian vetiver, patchouli, and clove with a shock of bourbon geranium, grim oakmoss, and dread-inspiring balsams pierce the innocuous scent of autumn leaves. (this one is really dark and smoky, not for the faint of heart)

And! Yes Virginia there is something in the GC too! In the Paranorman scents:

Blithe Hollow: dead leaves and cold, moist breezes set at the edge of a forest of maple, pine, cedar, and cypress.